LED HDTV v.s. A high-end Projector .. Which is better ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 09-08-2012, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi guys ... I need advice on a matter ... I'm building a dedicated Home Theater room for my new house, and I've allocated about $5000 to cover all hardware equipment costs .. roughly $2500 of it will probably go towards the audio related things ...

So my initial plan was to put both a HDTV and a projector/screen combination in this room .. But if I do this, I think I'll have to go way beyond $5000, which I want to avoid .... So, I'm now thinking of only buying a high-end 3D ready Full HD projector, such as the Epson 5010 (around $2600) ... I figured that its much cheaper to get a big display (111" ~ 134") by buying a projector, than by buying a HDTV .. I have also heard that 3D is best experienced on larger displays, so getting a 3D projector only seems like a good move in this regard as well ..

So do you think its a good idea to only buy a projector for a Home Theater room ? .. How does a projector's quality compare with an LED HDTV ? What about the 3D effect ?

I have not seen any demos of any high-end projectors, but all the reviews I've read regarding Epson 5010 seem to suggest that its *extremely* good ..

What are your suggestions ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-11-2012, 01:07 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmadka View Post

Hi guys ... I need advice on a matter ... I'm building a dedicated Home Theater room for my new house, and I've allocated about $5000 to cover all hardware equipment costs .. roughly $2500 of it will probably go towards the audio related things ...
So my initial plan was to put both a HDTV and a projector/screen combination in this room .. But if I do this, I think I'll have to go way beyond $5000, which I want to avoid .... So, I'm now thinking of only buying a high-end 3D ready Full HD projector, such as the Epson 5010 (around $2600) ... I figured that its much cheaper to get a big display (111" ~ 134") by buying a projector, than by buying a HDTV .. I have also heard that 3D is best experienced on larger displays, so getting a 3D projector only seems like a good move in this regard as well ..
So do you think its a good idea to only buy a projector for a Home Theater room ? .. How does a projector's quality compare with an LED HDTV ? What about the 3D effect ?
I have not seen any demos of any high-end projectors, but all the reviews I've read regarding Epson 5010 seem to suggest that its *extremely* good ..
What are your suggestions ?

For a dedicated room I'd want a projector (bigger = better in my world). If I wanted something to use everyday I'd get the led tv. Projectors are great for a second display but I'd never use one as my primary display due to lack of brightness, bulb cost, and having to turn off all the lights to use it.

post #3 of 11 Old 09-11-2012, 01:10 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyen78 View Post

For a dedicated room I'd want a projector (bigger = better in my world). If I wanted something to use everyday I'd get the led tv. Projectors are great for a second display but I'd never use one as my primary display due to lack of brightness, bulb cost, and having to turn off all the lights to use it.

Agreed, in a perfect world a nice 52"+ LED behind a retractable 100"+ screen would be the set up smile.gif...however money always gets in the way.
post #4 of 11 Old 09-11-2012, 02:26 PM

Since 1999 we only use a projector, no more TV. In average we watch one film or documentation per day. In summer evenings the projector is not switched on at all. We use the projector about 300h per year.

A friend told me, that they have two TVs (one in the living room and one in the sleeping room). Both TVs run about 4-6h per day. I must admit, that for such a usage, a TV can be a better choice.
post #5 of 11 Old 09-11-2012, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiggUA View Post

Since 1999 we only use a projector, no more TV. In average we watch one film or documentation per day. In summer evenings the projector is not switched on at all. We use the projector about 300h per year.
A friend told me, that they have two TVs (one in the living room and one in the sleeping room). Both TVs run about 4-6h per day. I must admit, that for such a usage, a TV can be a better choice.

Why so? For the last 7 years a FP has been our primary television. We watch about 4-5 hours per day or 100-150 hours per month. I generally replace the lamp once after 18-24 months...so we get about 3 to 4 years per unit. I never understood why people would buy a projector (depreciating asset) and then only break it out on special occasions. What's the point in having a lightly used 3 year old unit? Add $300 to the purchase price to factor in the cost of the eventual replacement lamp and enjoy the heck out of it for several years. Anyway, I couldn't imagine ever going back to a regular 50" or 60" plasma/lcd display...although I do think those make excellent bedroom sets.
post #6 of 11 Old 09-11-2012, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post

Why so?
- A TV is less expensive. About 500 Euro and even less. No additional cost for the light bulbs
- A TV is easier to integrate into a sleeping room as a projector.
- If watching at day time, not so much need to shield the sun light. I simple curtain will do the job for a TV.
- A TV is less sensitive, if switched on and off 20 times per day (by the children).
post #7 of 11 Old 09-11-2012, 06:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
projector... i use one for my primary tv, and would not use anything else...

properly planned and setup, you don't need to live in darkness, either... smile.gif many of us have setups that allow for a significant amount of light... the key is controlling it...

broadway makes a very good point... why spend a bunch of money on something and be afraid to use it? lamps aren't that expensive, and the viewing experience is definitely worth it...

projectors KILL flat panels on 3d, simply because the illusion of reality is much stronger when your field of view is entirely filled by the 3d effect...

if you watch sports (which i do a lot)... a flat panel is "watching a football game"... a pj is "being in the sidelines at the game"... you cannot beat size for immersion and suspension of disbelief...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #8 of 11 Old 09-11-2012, 07:31 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

projector... i use one for my primary tv, and would not use anything else...
properly planned and setup, you don't need to live in darkness, either... smile.gif many of us have setups that allow for a significant amount of light... the key is controlling it...
broadway makes a very good point... why spend a bunch of money on something and be afraid to use it? lamps aren't that expensive, and the viewing experience is definitely worth it...
projectors KILL flat panels on 3d, simply because the illusion of reality is much stronger when your field of view is entirely filled by the 3d effect...
if you watch sports (which i do a lot)... a flat panel is "watching a football game"... a pj is "being in the sidelines at the game"... you cannot beat size for immersion and suspension of disbelief...

Can't agree with you more, I have a 58" plasma on my wall over my fireplace for everyday use but I much prefer my 125" 2.35 motorized tab-tensioned screen that comes down in front of my plasma. I am not in a dedicated home theater either. It's in my living room (pretty good size room) and I control my light by using blackout drapes. On a bright day all I have to do is draw the curtains (which stay closed most of the time anyway) and my projector is plenty bright enough to enjoy anything I want to watch. And at night the movies are even better.

In my opinion you really can't compare having a tv even a large one with a good quality projector (Panasonic AE7000, Epson 5010, 6010, JVC RS45, BENQ W7000) which is probably more than double the size of most tv's. When playing a blu-ray on a cinemascope screen for the first time I seriously had all my friends in awe.

Now I just need to get the Darbee and see how much it enhances my panasonic projector.
post #9 of 11 Old 09-12-2012, 12:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
^^^

when i got my first pj, i hung a pull down screen in front of my kuro, thinking i'd still use the kuro for "regular viewing"... that lasted all of about, oh, 2 seconds, before realizing that given the option, i'd never choose the kuro...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #10 of 11 Old 09-12-2012, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiggUA View Post

- A TV is less expensive. About 500 Euro and even less. No additional cost for the light bulbs
- A TV is easier to integrate into a sleeping room as a projector.
- If watching at day time, not so much need to shield the sun light. I simple curtain will do the job for a TV.
- A TV is less sensitive, if switched on and off 20 times per day (by the children).

Are you honestly comparing a 500 Euro TV to even a modest HT FP? That's just silly. Of course it's cheaper, because it's not even close to the same thing. And sure, as with every type of display device there are drawbacks to FP. If you can't do anything about the amount of ambient light in your viewing environment and need to watch the FP frequently during the day, well that's certainly an issue. And if you have kids who are going to turn the FP on and off 20 times a day, sure, that's also a problem. But both of those issues are usually relatively easy to fix. Everyone's situation is different...but for me it's not even a question...front projection is the obvious choice. I'll take a $1,000 front projector over any 60" LCD/Plasma...and that's not because the latter will cost more.
post #11 of 11 Old 09-13-2012, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post

Everyone's situation is different...but for me it's not even a question...front projection is the obvious choice. .
I have also chosen a FP (since 1999). But among all friends, I am the only one. TVs are very widely spread.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page