Projector that does 3D and 2.35:1 without an anamorphic lens - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 09-09-2012, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey Guys,

What's a good projector make/model under $2k that does 3D and CIH without the need for an anamorphic lens? I read good reviews on the Epson 3010e and BenQW7000 but wasn't sure if anyone here had first hand experience in using it in the cinemascope or 2.35:1 format. I read somewhere that the Epson only does zoom and doesn't have a lens shift
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-09-2012, 09:03 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by vilas View Post

Hey Guys,
What's a good projector make/model under $2k that does 3D and CIH without the need for an anamorphic lens? I read good reviews on the Epson 3010e and BenQW7000 but wasn't sure if anyone here had first hand experience in using it in the cinemascope or 2.35:1 format. I read somewhere that the Epson only does zoom and doesn't have a lens shift

You need to look at the Panasonic AE7000 and the soon to be released 8000. They support automated lens zoom and shift which allows you to zoom into a 2.35:1 screen. Not sure that they are below 2k, not sure any are that support 3d.
post #3 of 14 Old 09-09-2012, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepaiii View Post

You need to look at the Panasonic AE7000 and the soon to be released 8000. They support automated lens zoom and shift which allows you to zoom into a 2.35:1 screen. Not sure that they are below 2k, not sure any are that support 3d.

Hmm looks like it does do 3D and retails for about 2.5k
post #4 of 14 Old 09-10-2012, 08:09 PM

Liked: 16
Many 3D titles aren't in scope. There are a few but, if I recall correctly, the majority are in 16:9. That said, pretty much every projector on the market can do scope without an a-lens; you just have to manually zoom (or auto zoom if the projector has that function) to the scope size. You'll still have the letterbox top and bottom, but they will be off the screen and unnoticeable. There are currently no projectors that offer scope at full 1080p internally without a lens.

That said, the W7000 sells for about $1800 on eBay. The 3010 is cheaper and has good 3D, too, from what I've heard and read. The W7000 is a better projector, but lacks brightness in 3D. Not sure how the 3010 does but I recall it being better. The Acer H9500BD get's great 3D reviews as well in your price range.

post #5 of 14 Old 09-11-2012, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
The best option would be the Pansonic PT-AE7000u. You don't want to manual zoom everytime you watch a scope movie. And most action movies nowadays are in scope format. Get the AE7000 or the soon to be released AE8000 and you will be happy. The JVC RS45 also has lens memory as well but all these projectors are over $2400.

Pansonic PT-AE7000u is plenty bright for a lot of people including myself for a large CIH screen. I have a 125" 2.35 Elite Cinetension2 which is great, but some people have complained about crosstalk and flickering (including myself, mine is in the shop). So be aware the AE7000u has a few problems. The AE8000u however is supposed to fix all the issues people have with the 7000. It's brighter, reduced crosstalk issues, better 3d motion.
post #6 of 14 Old 09-14-2012, 05:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoneyman2323 View Post

The best option would be the Pansonic PT-AE7000u. You don't want to manual zoom everytime you watch a scope movie. And most action movies nowadays are in scope format. Get the AE7000 or the soon to be released AE8000 and you will be happy. The JVC RS45 also has lens memory as well but all these projectors are over $2400.
Pansonic PT-AE7000u is plenty bright for a lot of people including myself for a large CIH screen. I have a 125" 2.35 Elite Cinetension2 which is great, but some people have complained about crosstalk and flickering (including myself, mine is in the shop). So be aware the AE7000u has a few problems. The AE8000u however is supposed to fix all the issues people have with the 7000. It's brighter, reduced crosstalk issues, better 3d motion.

Is your cine tension2 screen an electric drop down screen? Can you comment on the quality of it?
post #7 of 14 Old 09-14-2012, 05:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosteh View Post

Many 3D titles aren't in scope. There are a few but, if I recall correctly, the majority are in 16:9. That said, pretty much every projector on the market can do scope without an a-lens; you just have to manually zoom (or auto zoom if the projector has that function) to the scope size. You'll still have the letterbox top and bottom, but they will be off the screen and unnoticeable. There are currently no projectors that offer scope at full 1080p internally without a lens.
That said, the W7000 sells for about $1800 on eBay. The 3010 is cheaper and has good 3D, too, from what I've heard and read. The W7000 is a better projector, but lacks brightness in 3D. Not sure how the 3010 does but I recall it being better. The Acer H9500BD get's great 3D reviews as well in your price range.

IF I understand correctly, when you say manually zoom, does that mean that every time i play a movie in scope format, I have to keep adjusting the projector? Don't all projectors have a feature where it remembers your last setting?
post #8 of 14 Old 09-14-2012, 08:01 AM

Ummm no. Most projectors do NOT remember lens settings, that is typically a manual process to zoom and change the lens shift.
post #9 of 14 Old 09-19-2012, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilas View Post

IF I understand correctly, when you say manually zoom, does that mean that every time i play a movie in scope format, I have to keep adjusting the projector? Don't all projectors have a feature where it remembers your last setting?

Nope. The only ones which have this feature are the Panasonic AE4000, AE7000, AE8000, JVC RS45, RS55, RS65. There may be others but these are the ones I can remember off the top of my head. All others you have to manually zoom. It's not a huge PITA, but it is cumbersome if you switch between formats a lot. Panny AE7000 would be the best projector for you by far.

post #10 of 14 Old 09-20-2012, 05:11 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 344
There is the JVC RS40 B-stock. It has power zoom, power lens shift and power focus. It is within the OPers budget. There is also the JVC B-stock RS45, that adds lens memory of top of that, but it is slightly above the posters budget.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #11 of 14 Old 09-20-2012, 05:12 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoneyman2323 View Post

Not the B-stocks and they come with full factory warranty.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #12 of 14 Old 09-20-2012, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 145
I'm interested in the same thing as the OP, but would actually prefer to manually zoom it out each time. I know that might seem crazy to most, but all those automatic zoom things compromise the 16:9 picture quality to some degree.... right ? Because what the projector is really doing, is that you set the projector to it's full zoomed out mode (for the 2:35.1 screen), and then it automatically adjusts it to the 16:9, but you're not actually getting the full resolution of the 16:9.

So, you're basically robbing Peter to pay Paul. Yeah, you get the convience of not having to get up and do the manual switch, but you're losing resolution when watcing 16:9 stuff. Yeah, I've heard people say that the resolution loss is extremely minor, and you don't really notice it, but I'd rather not sacrifice that. If I have to get up off my but and quickly do the manual zoom trick, that's perfectly fine by me. The key though, is that you really need to have horizontal and vertical lens shift. I prefer the look of DLP as well, so not really interested in the LCD's. I don't know... to me, it seems like there really hasn't been much going on in the projector world in the last couple of years. I figured there would be some better projectors on the scene by now, in the $1500 range. Seems like you still need to spend about $2500 to get a decent one.
post #13 of 14 Old 09-20-2012, 02:54 PM

Liked: 13
this isn't a digital zoom. there's actually motors turning the glass lenses just like you would by hand. there is no loss of horizontal resolution from 1.78 to 2.35. you still lose the offscreen black bars (same as any non-anamorphic CIH).

i do wonder how well it handles the 2.35~2.40 variances. if you have to tweak size, shift and focus anyway, which only takes 30 seconds, lens memory might not be automatic. i don;t own these projectors.. any owners want to give some feedback on the auto lens
post #14 of 14 Old 09-20-2012, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonSixGolf View Post

this isn't a digital zoom. there's actually motors turning the glass lenses just like you would by hand. there is no loss of horizontal resolution from 1.78 to 2.35. you still lose the offscreen black bars (same as any non-anamorphic CIH).
i do wonder how well it handles the 2.35~2.40 variances. if you have to tweak size, shift and focus anyway, which only takes 30 seconds, lens memory might not be automatic. i don;t own these projectors.. any owners want to give some feedback on the auto lens

Not an owner but I've seen it in action. Every time you change to a new lens memory setting, the motors physically turn move the lens. As for 2.35 vs 2.4, you can set multiple memories and it will make the ever so slight adjustment to get between them. I think most people probably just pick whatever their screen was made for and call it good. I have a 2.4 because I'd rather have tiny letterboxing rather than missing picture for 2.35 movies.

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page