The official Panasonic PT-AR100U Owners Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 10Likes

post #271 of 284 Old 06-08-2017, 03:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
You don't say whether you're looking to upgrade to a better 1080p projector or moving up to 4K.
Lol no I didn't. I just don't know. Well looks like I struggle between HW45ES and Epson 5040.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 284 Old 06-09-2017, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Younger38 View Post
Happy AR100 ownder here but now looking to upgrade. Was wondering if any followers of this forum have made the jump and what they went to. How did you feel the upgrade was?
I have a friend that upgraded to the Epson 5040UB which is a 4k model and he really enjoys it.
I myself wont upgrade until my Panasonic breaks or the bulbs are too expensive. There's simply just not enough 4k content out there, and sticking with 1080p and having a working 1080p projector isn't really much of an upgrade.
Younger38 likes this.
post #273 of 284 Old 06-09-2017, 08:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Younger38 View Post
Lol no I didn't. I just don't know. Well looks like I struggle between HW45ES and Epson 5040.
A former owner of the AR100U (mastermaybe) upgraded to the Sony HW45ES some time ago and is quite pleased with his projector.

His thread is:

James' Dugout: Theatre and Parlor

Either projector should be fine depending on what your needs are.
Younger38 likes this.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies

post #274 of 284 Old 08-31-2017, 11:29 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Update... for Mr G, if no one else....

Making use of my "dreaded blob" deep clean instructions again. Much quicker this time, heh!

I've got about 22,000 hrs total run-time on this Pana since 2012 and we live in a dusty, pet loving home so starting to see dust blobs on the screen again and noticed the fan going into overdrive more than necessary. Hopefully this is the last time I'll be doing this... damn Pana bulbs are still almost $450 CDN so I may just try some crap bulb next time and hope that it explodes so I have a good reason to upgrade.

Happy long weekend!

post #275 of 284 Old 09-01-2017, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulpha View Post
Update... for Mr G, if no one else....

Making use of my "dreaded blob" deep clean instructions again. Much quicker this time, heh!

I've got about 22,000 hrs total run-time on this Pana since 2012 and we live in a dusty, pet loving home so starting to see dust blobs on the screen again and noticed the fan going into overdrive more than necessary. Hopefully this is the last time I'll be doing this... damn Pana bulbs are still almost $450 CDN so I may just try some crap bulb next time and hope that it explodes so I have a good reason to upgrade.

Happy long weekend!
LOL. You've always had some serious usage hours with this projector. I'm considering ordering my third and last lamp for my AR100U even though I still have 1500 hours left. I'm starting to see a faint dust blob on the lower part of screen although no one else does so I've just let it ride for now. Ever since my last clean-out I've suspected the dust blobs originate in the power supply fan area and eventually break free and make their way into the light path. Other than the faint blob the projector has been running great with no issues at all. I run mine practically every night from about 8 pm to midnight, TV, streaming and Blu-rays.

I follow the threads here on the recent batches of faux 4K projectors but at this point don't feel motivated enough to upgrade. Not enough 4K material to make me want to take the leap but the temptation is never far away.

I've included a link to your classic tear-down for any owner interested. Have good one.

The official Panasonic PT-AR100U Owners Thread

post #276 of 284 Old 09-01-2017, 08:35 AM

Heh! Not so concerned about 4K either... my only beef with this projector is that it doesn't do blacks as well as I'd like. DLP is really much better for blacks but I'm hyper sensitive to rainbow effect. The AR100 has really been a fantastic unit, it's just a shame the lamps have always been so expensive. My wife would rather have a flat panel than a projector so not sure what we'll end up with. Hopefully won't have to figure it out for a while.... Cheers!
post #277 of 284 Old 09-01-2017, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi Guys

I got this Projector as well.
I'm at the end of second light and may be tempted to upgrade.

Is there a projector that would "pop" more, I mean more like an HD Tv ?

I love the big screen size but every time I see a flat panel in action, I realize that Panny doesn't compare as far as details and Pop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by mycho; 09-02-2017 at 07:06 PM.
post #278 of 284 Old 09-02-2017, 07:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycho View Post
Hi Guys

I got the Projector as well. I'm at the end of second light and may be tempted to upgrade.

Is there a projector that would "pop" more, I mean more like an HDTV ?

I love the big screen size bit every time I see a flat panel in action, I realize that Panny doesn't compare as far as details and Pop.
Mycho, since most AR100U owners don't have experience with the new generation of projectors you're going to have do your own homework.

Check out the Official Epson 5040ub/6040ub and Optoma UHD60 & UHD65 4K/UHD HDR DLP Projector threads in this forum.

If you're not RBE sensitive you may able to move into a new DLP projector.

There are several posts in this forum that are much like yours, people looking to upgrade but not sure to what.

You can also try opening a new thread with your upgrade question. Good luck.

post #279 of 284 Old 09-02-2017, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Mycho, since most AR100U owners don't have experience with the new generation of projectors you're going to have do your own homework.

Check out the Official Epson 5040ub/6040ub and Optoma UHD60 & UHD65 4K/UHD HDR DLP Projector threads in this forum.

If you're not RBE sensitive you may able to move into a new DLP projector.

There are several posts in this forum that are much like yours, people looking to upgrade but not sure to what.

You can also try opening a new thread with your upgrade question. Good luck.

Thanks for your input Mr. G

I will definitely do my homework. I am trying to understand which specs to look for if the desired results is a HD TV like image from a projector.
Do the TVs pops more because of contrast or because the same resolution is on a smaller screen ?

I will scroll the forum to find answers
post #280 of 284 Old 09-03-2017, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycho View Post
Thanks for your input Mr. G

I will definitely do my homework. I am trying to understand which specs to look for if the desired results is a HD TV like image from a projector.
Do the TVs pops more because of contrast or because the same resolution is on a smaller screen ?

I will scroll the forum to find answers
"Pops" depends on a couple of factors. If you're really trying to compare on even ground, then look at a projector's output with it's image as the same size of the TV you're looking at: shrink your projector image down to 55" if that's the size of TV you're looking at... you should notice that projectors "pop" slightly less, the larger of an image they're projecting, but at least they can do it! Personally, I don't want to dish out the bucks for an 80" TV - which would still be smaller than what I use my projector at.

If it's a 4K TV, look at it showing a BluRay - there's so little 4K content available, it'll be a while before you're actually watching much of anything on 4K. It looks sweet seeing 4K demos on a show floor, but that's not what you'll be watching when you use it.

As mentioned by a few of us, DLP projectors may be a better technology for contrast but at the risk of seeing the "rainbow effect" ...not everyone sees this, but it might bug you if you do. See if you can find some showrooms that have projector - although they typically only have top of the line equipment mounted.

Hopefully that helps, but try to read lots of online (or magazine) reviews on this site and others.
Cheers!

post #281 of 284 Old 09-06-2017, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Quote:
A former owner of the AR100U (mastermaybe) upgraded to the Sony HW45ES some time ago and is quite pleased with his projector.

His thread is:

James' Dugout: Theatre and Parlor

Either projector should be fine depending on what your needs are.

Just noticed this, lol.

I did indeed move up to the Sony 45 ES.

Worth every penny and I also liked my Panny 100 quit a bit.

Color, black level...and also, the detail is quite a bit better as the pixel gap is much less with the Sony. Honestly, I may have even noticed that before I did the contrast.

At $1800.00 , I cannot argue with expenditure, I'll just wait a couple more years before native 4K comes down to where mere mortals can afford it, lol.

James

My Parlor and Theatre: "Jimbo's Dugout" : http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...re-parlor.html

Actual phone call (see pic to left):
 Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"
Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."
post #282 of 284 Old 09-06-2017, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked: 344
By the way...are the "real" lamps still ~ $300 for this thing?

I sold mine (AR-100) to a co-worker- he understands he will need a bulb within 1000 hours, but I was hoping Panny cut their lamp pricing like Epson.

The bulb for my Epson 3500 and 2040 are (now) $99 and $79!!!

Yes, I of course own 3 projectors...living room, garage, and theater.

James

My Parlor and Theatre: "Jimbo's Dugout" : http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...re-parlor.html

Actual phone call (see pic to left):
 Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"
Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."
post #283 of 284 Old 09-07-2017, 08:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post
By the way...are the "real" lamps still ~ $300 for this thing?

I sold mine (AR-100) to a co-worker- he understands he will need a bulb within 1000 hours, but I was hoping Panny cut their lamp pricing like Epson.

The bulb for my Epson 3500 and 2040 are (now) $99 and $79!!!

Yes, I of course own 3 projectors...living room, garage, and theater.

James
James,

Unfortunately the price has been creeping up. Here is what I have bookmarked for myself.

Provantage for genuine Panasonic OEM ET-LAA110 is $330 plus shipping.

http://www.provantage.com/panasonic-...0~7PANP0T6.htm

B&H Video is selling the Model ET-LAA110 lamp for $399.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...nt_Lamp_f.html

AGI - Audio General Incorporated selling lamp for $338 with free shipping.

http://www.audiogeneral.com/Panasonic/lamps.html

Focused Technology $339, free shipping. They confirmed to me that it is the genuine OEM Panasonic lamp although the product image is incorrect.

http://www.focusedtechnology.com/pan...-etlaa110.html

At least they can still be found unlike some other models where only after-market lamps can found.

Even after-market lamps for the AR100U are commanding high prices - $264 at Purelandsupply for an 'authentic' bulb. Of course cheaper knock-offs can still be found.

I suspect the price increase is due to supply and demand since it's possible that Panasonic will stop manufacture of these lamps sooner rather than later.

EDIT: Updated

Last edited by Mr.G; 09-12-2017 at 09:10 AM.
post #284 of 284 Old 09-08-2017, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I wanted to just let everyone know how amazed I am about this thread. Its now over 5 years old and thanks to the community its helped a lot of people. Special thanks to Mr. G for all the great advice through the years. You rock!

My AR100U is still kicking but more in a "retirement" phase in my basement, only used once and awhile for the good movies, and still has 1000 hours left on the 2nd bulb. I'm not sure if i'll replace the bulb when the time comes or get a whole new projector when it does. $360+ is just insane for a bulb.

If you're new to the thread please check all all 10 pages, there's some insanely great detailed instructions for almost every issue with this projector.

Thanks everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page