The official Panasonic PT-AR100U Owners Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 161 Old 07-25-2013, 02:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am strongly considering this projector for a couple of reasons. First, it will allow a really large (albeit not highly accurate) image in my basement, where I have good light control. It will also work well in my Living Room until the basement is at least semi-furnished.

It has an advantage over the BenQ W1070 in that i think there's a chance it could work in a limited CIH fashion.

Here is my question: even though it doesn't have Screen Memory which I can't really afford - can I do a poor mans CIH setup just adjusting the Zoom & Focus rings? As long as I don't have to fiddle with the joystick I'd be perfectly happy to go manual. I'll be projecting on a custom painted screen so if the 16:9 and the 2.35:1 aren't at the exact same vertical height I could make that work if necessary - but I'd want them to be close.

Thoughts?

I hate all this downtime in between drafts...(unidentified Lions loyalist '2004)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 161 Old 07-25-2013, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyLions View Post

I am strongly considering this projector for a couple of reasons. First, it will allow a really large (albeit not highly accurate) image in my basement, where I have good light control. It will also work well in my Living Room until the basement is at least semi-furnished.

It has an advantage over the BenQ W1070 in that i think there's a chance it could work in a limited CIH fashion.

Here is my question: even though it doesn't have Screen Memory which I can't really afford - can I do a poor mans CIH setup just adjusting the Zoom & Focus rings? As long as I don't have to fiddle with the joystick I'd be perfectly happy to go manual. I'll be projecting on a custom painted screen so if the 16:9 and the 2.35:1 aren't at the exact same vertical height I could make that work if necessary - but I'd want them to be close.

Thoughts?

If you do a search using CIH in the other AR100U thread you will find that it's been discussed by many but implemented by few or none.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1358778/panasonic-pt-ar100-msrp-1-999-4000u-replacement-kind-of

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #93 of 161 Old 08-30-2013, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello Everyone,

After having conversed with the wife I was set to order this projector today when I decided to do one more info check. I'm sure that there are those of you like me and consider a purchase of this nature to be a life or death decision. smile.gif Unfortunately I saw on Projector Central that the Epson 2030 is getting ready to come out for $1000. Not that I really want to go the Epson route I'm wondering if any of you might be able to give me your thoughts on how this new projector might impact the price of the AR100u in the next couple of weeks. I'm not really in a rush, other than football coming up, and really would like to hear everyone's perspective.
post #94 of 161 Old 08-31-2013, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotharQberry View Post

Hello Everyone,

After having conversed with the wife I was set to order this projector today when I decided to do one more info check. I'm sure that there are those of you like me and consider a purchase of this nature to be a life or death decision. smile.gif Unfortunately I saw on Projector Central that the Epson 2030 is getting ready to come out for $1000. Not that I really want to go the Epson route I'm wondering if any of you might be able to give me your thoughts on how this new projector might impact the price of the AR100u in the next couple of weeks. I'm not really in a rush, other than football coming up, and really would like to hear everyone's perspective.

Epson has joined the race to the bottom - price-wise. The new DLP projectors from Benq and Optoma have generated a great of interest since most people in this forum are looking for the best bang for the buck with the emphasis on 3D.

Last year everyone was buying the Epson 8350 because of its price point and features. Now Epson is doing the 2030 (with 3D) for $1000 and I'm sure as time goes on the price will drop as well. Some interest in this projector will come from people sensitive to RBE and wanting an economical LCD (3D) projector. The 2030 does compete with the AR100U as far as environment is concerned - it can be used in a living or family room. The AR100U is brighter at 2800 lumens but lacks the 3D feature.

Will the introduction of the Epson 2030 cause Panasonic to drop its price on the AR100U - or put it on sale occasionally? Perhaps. At this point it's only a $300 difference. Remember the AR100U is built like a tank with 5 internal cooling fans, weighs 19 pounds and has been generally a trouble free projector (at least from input in this forum). The new Epson 2030 weighs 6.4 pounds. It will be interesting to see how this projector fares after its release in September.

EDIT: I should add the Epson 2030 lacks lens shift.

post #95 of 161 Old 09-02-2013, 08:20 AM

I know that there isn't a great price difference between the two of them. But for me a couple of hundred dollars can have a huge impact on what and when I make a purchase like this. I also heard through one of the online retailers that the new Panasonics are supposed to be released in September or October which could also have an effect on pricing. The last toy that I purchased like this was a Panasonic PT-LC75u that is still running pretty well even though I'm having to use a HDMI to VGA convertor. So I guess you could say I'm a little frugal when it comes to stuff like this. As for now I think I'll try holding off a week or two and see how this ends up playing out but I will say that the new projector itch I have is getting harder to scratch.smile.gif
post #96 of 161 Old 09-02-2013, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotharQberry View Post

I know that there isn't a great price difference between the two of them. But for me a couple of hundred dollars can have a huge impact on what and when I make a purchase like this. I also heard through one of the online retailers that the new Panasonics are supposed to be released in September or October which could also have an effect on pricing. The last toy that I purchased like this was a Panasonic PT-LC75u that is still running pretty well even though I'm having to use a HDMI to VGA convertor. So I guess you could say I'm a little frugal when it comes to stuff like this. As for now I think I'll try holding off a week or two and see how this ends up playing out but I will say that the new projector itch I have is getting harder to scratch.smile.gif

I think we started out about the same time with Panasonic - my first LCD projector was the Panasonic PT-L720U (2002-2003). I moved on to the PT-AE900U which was great for several years before I upgraded to the AR100U.

Interesting about Panasonic releasing new projectors this month or next - haven't heard a thing about it but then I have no inside information.

The timeline on the Panasonic home cinema projectors doesn't indicate a replacement for the AR100U until possibly 2015 but this is just going by their recent track record. The flagship projectors have been replaced more often.

http://panasonic.net/avc/projector/special/home_cinema_projector/index.html

Since you have time just sit back and wait for new models and/or pricing.

post #97 of 161 Old 09-06-2013, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

***New reading***

I measure the brightness of the AR100U bulb in VIVID CINEMA picture mode (eco setting) using my lux meter, taking the average of 9 points on the screen.

September (2013) reading: 946 lumens (2000 hours)

April (2013) reading: 1163 lumens (1510 hours).

November (2012) reading: 1300 lumens (1000 hours).

July (2012) reading: 1333 lumens (600 hours).

February (2012) original reading: 1417 lumens.

The latest measurement shows the biggest loss yet over the past 500 hours of 217 lumens...and a total loss of 471 lumens since the bulb was new.

This represents roughly a loss of 33% in brightness for 2000 hours of use (the hours are calculated by the AR100U's internal clock).

This is unusually good and much better than the average among other projectors. I use the projector almost every day for 3-4 hours.

I will continue to measure at regular 500 hour intervals - which based on my use averages every 4 months.

An overview of how measurements are accomplished and what it means is covered nicely in this article: The Life of a Projector's Lamp.

post #98 of 161 Old 09-06-2013, 07:20 AM

Thanks for the info sir. I appreciate your pointing out the article. I enjoyed reading it.
post #99 of 161 Old 10-05-2013, 05:50 PM

So I a looking at the Panasonic PT AR100U projector. I am thinking about placing my projector at the back of my room, mounted to the wall (around 22 ft from screen) projecting onto a 106" screen. My room is in a basement so light control is no problem. Will it be able to zoom and fit the screen just fine from around 22 feet back. I could technically hang the projector from a drop ceiling around 14 ft back from screen but I really don't want my projector over my head where I will be sitting. I would rather have it behind me and out of the way. I am new to the projector world and am trying to learn. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!
post #100 of 161 Old 10-06-2013, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdawg16 View Post

So I a looking at the Panasonic PT AR100U projector. I am thinking about placing my projector at the back of my room, mounted to the wall (around 22 ft from screen) projecting onto a 106" screen. My room is in a basement so light control is no problem. Will it be able to zoom and fit the screen just fine from around 22 feet back. I could technically hang the projector from a drop ceiling around 14 ft back from screen but I really don't want my projector over my head where I will be sitting. I would rather have it behind me and out of the way. I am new to the projector world and am trying to learn. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

You actually want a bigger screen if you want to put the AR100U at a distance of 22 feet from the screen.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Panasonic-PT-AR100U-projection-calculator-pro.htm

Going up to a 120" (16:9) screen gets you easily into your desired throw range.

How wide is the screen wall? You need room on either side of the screen for the speakers assuming a 5.1 sound theater.

post #101 of 161 Old 10-06-2013, 03:28 PM

My wall is about 14 ft wide.  Also, I think I will be sitting back ~ 14 ft from the screen.  The projector will be hung from a drop ceiling about 14 ft. from the screen.  So, probably a 106 to 110 inch screen will do.  Any good recommendations on mounting kits for drop ceilings?   I am thinking of doing a 7.2 surround system at this point.  I just bought a 7.2 surround receiver by Yamaha.  

post #102 of 161 Old 10-07-2013, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My wall is about 14 ft wide.  Also, I think I will be sitting back ~ 14 ft from the screen.  The projector will be hung from a drop ceiling about 14 ft. from the screen.  So, probably a 106 to 110 inch screen will do.  Any good recommendations on mounting kits for drop ceilings?   I am thinking of doing a 7.2 surround system at this point.  I just bought a 7.2 surround receiver by Yamaha.  

If you stay with the 106" screen the calculator shows you can install the projector anywhere from 10' 3" to 20' 9" from the screen which allows you to place it behind your sitting position and not overhead if desired.

For mounting kits for drop ceilings you can go with products from Peerless or Chief. I use the Peerless PRG-UNV, ACC 570 Round LCD/Projector Ceiling Plate and adjustable extension column with the AR100U.

http://www.peerless-av.com/en-us/professional/product_categories/projector_mounts/ceiling

http://www.chiefmfg.com/Projector-Mounts

http://www.chiefmfg.com/Projector/Accessories

post #103 of 161 Old 11-06-2013, 03:03 PM

Anybody know how often the rebates kick in for this projector? I'm interested....but would really like to get it at around $1,000 total.
post #104 of 161 Old 11-07-2013, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spe411 View Post

Anybody know how often the rebates kick in for this projector? I'm interested....but would really like to get it at around $1,000 total.

The last rebate on the AR100U was in early 2012 during its introduction, nothing since. Could there be a sale on this projector with Christmas around the corner? Possible but not likely. It continues to be listed in Projector People's Top 10 selling projectors. Why discount something when it's already selling well?

post #105 of 161 Old 11-07-2013, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

The last rebate on the AR100U was in early 2012 during its introduction, nothing since. Could there be a sale on this projector with Christmas around the corner? Possible but not likely. It continues to be listed in Projector People's Top 10 selling projectors. Why discount something when it's already selling well?

I hear ya. So I'd appreciate thoughts on my particular situation. I currently have an Epson 6500ub (4 years old). My setup is a basement, no ambient light, 120" screen, used 50% for movies in the dark and 50% for ps3/sports/TV with the lights on. The darn Epson developed this problem 18 months ago with a greenish bar at the top and a pinkish bar at the bottom. I'm looking to replace, and avoid Epson after that experience. Think I'll be happy with the ar100u in my situation? Or should I be looking at something more equivalent to the 6500ub...like maybe the Panasonic ae8000? I don't care about 3D. I need lens shift and lots of zoom because my projector is mounted 15' back.
post #106 of 161 Old 11-07-2013, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I hear ya. So I'd appreciate thoughts on my particular situation. I currently have an Epson 6500ub (4 years old). My setup is a basement, no ambient light, 120" screen, used 50% for movies in the dark and 50% for ps3/sports/TV with the lights on. The darn Epson developed this problem 18 months ago with a greenish bar at the top and a pinkish bar at the bottom. I'm looking to replace, and avoid Epson after that experience. Think I'll be happy with the ar100u in my situation? Or should I be looking at something more equivalent to the 6500ub...like maybe the Panasonic ae8000? I don't care about 3D. I need lens shift and lots of zoom because my projector is mounted 15' back.

The AR100U has a contrast ratio of 50,000:1 while your 6500UB is listed at 75,000:1 so there is some loss there. Whether that will be noticeable is another question. Otherwise you will find that the AR100U will have no trouble lighting up your 120" screen from 15 feet with a bright and colorful picture. It's built like tank (19 lbs.) with 5 internal cooling fans. In eco-mode there will be an increase in fan noise since the AR100U is listed at 29 dB versus the 6500UB at 22 dB. It's been a trouble-free projector for me and I have 2200+ hours on mine.

The specs on the AE8000 are outstanding and it's currently selling for $2450. I was under the impression your budget was $1000?

At any rate since you have a mix of theater/sports/gaming/TV viewing I think you would be happy with the AR100U.

post #107 of 161 Old 11-07-2013, 07:48 AM

Quote:

The AR100U has a contrast ratio of 50,000:1 while your 6500UB is listed at 75,000:1 so there is some loss there. Whether that will be noticeable is another question. Otherwise you will find that the AR100U will have no trouble lighting up your 120" screen from 15 feet with a bright and colorful picture. It's built like tank (19 lbs.) with 5 internal cooling fans. In eco-mode there will be an increase in fan noise since the AR100U is listed at 29 dB versus the 6500UB at 22 dB. It's been a trouble-free projector for me and I have 2200+ hours on mine.

The specs on the AE8000 are outstanding and it's currently selling for $2450. I was under the impression your budget was $1000?

At any rate since you have a mix of theater/sports/gaming/TV viewing I think you would be happy with the AR100U.

About the budget - I'm just looking for the most economical way to replace my 6500ub and get reasonably equivalent performance. If I could do that for $1300 instead of $2500 - that would be a huge win. I'm not as much worried about the black-level difference between the 6500ub and the ar100u as I am about the fan noise difference. The projector will be ceilings mounted about 6' above seating area. I've never had a problem with the 6500ub noise level. I wonder how noticeable the difference would be. 5 fans sounds intimidating!
post #108 of 161 Old 11-08-2013, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

About the budget - I'm just looking for the most economical way to replace my 6500ub and get reasonably equivalent performance. If I could do that for $1300 instead of $2500 - that would be a huge win. I'm not as much worried about the black-level difference between the 6500ub and the ar100u as I am about the fan noise difference. The projector will be ceilings mounted about 6' above seating area. I've never had a problem with the 6500ub noise level. I wonder how noticeable the difference would be. 5 fans sounds intimidating!

As I mentioned the AR100U is built like a tank and the 5 internal fans are strategically located to move the hot air out of the projector but the cumulative effect creates the 29 dB noise level. Great engineering as far as I'm concerned since as everyone knows heat build up is the enemy of all projectors. And with a 280W UHM lamp you definitely want to cool it and the interior of the projector as effectively as possible.

I have the AR100U mounted 3 feet above my middle theater seat (15 feet from the screen) and I don't notice the fan noise during a movie except during silent parts.

post #109 of 161 Old 11-12-2013, 07:11 AM

So I just picked up this projector and I am a newbie to projector settings. Are there any good settings to know about on this projector that I need to adjust right away? Anyone know of any helpful websites to learn about adjusting the settings on this projector so I can get the most out it. Thanks!
post #110 of 161 Old 11-12-2013, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So I just picked up this projector and I am a newbie to projector settings. Are there any good settings to know about on this projector that I need to adjust right away? Anyone know of any helpful websites to learn about adjusting the settings on this projector so I can get the most out it. Thanks!

Put the projector into eco mode and watch everything in Vivid Cinema mode, no adjustments needed. biggrin.gif

However if you're a cinemaphile and want to calibrate the AR100U closest to film mode (Rec 709) then download the AVS HD 709 software (free) and burn to disc.

AVS HD 709 - Blu-ray & MP4 Calibration

If you're uncomfortable with creating your own disc there are several calibration discs for sale, for example the Disney WOW disc or the second edition of the Spears & Munsil Calibration disc.

I have calibrated my AR100U (Rec 709) with the AVS HD 709 disc and it's fairly straight forward. But truthfully I rarely use REC 709 since I prefer the brighter picture of Vivid Cinema uncalibrated.

post #111 of 161 Old 01-04-2014, 05:56 PM

I've long noticed this issue with my AR100U and I'm getting close to the end of that initial warranty. Any one else notice an uneven picture? It's like the color temp is wrong in spots where parts are reddish and other parts, just right of the middle, is blueish.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 - Make your mac context and location sensitive!

post #112 of 161 Old 01-05-2014, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mym6 View Post

I've long noticed this issue with my AR100U and I'm getting close to the end of that initial warranty. Any one else notice an uneven picture? It's like the color temp is wrong in spots where parts are reddish and other parts, just right of the middle, is blueish.

Nope. At least not yet. My AR100U has almost 2340 hours on the lamp in eco-mode. Is the uneven color uniformity getting worse with time? Guess I would contact Panasonic while the warranty is still in effect.

EDIT: Corrected the hours used.

G

post #113 of 161 Old 01-05-2014, 11:56 AM

I think it's been there for some time. I just finally decide to look more closely/investigate.

post #114 of 161 Old 01-06-2014, 06:30 AM

Panasonic support is telling me "Based on the picture you have provided, what you are seeing is color uniformity which is normal for any LCD projector when displaying all white screen." When I pressed them on this claiming others suggest their projector doesn't exhibit this I got "Can you provide pictures of their screen with the same type of white screen image being display?The color uniformity is not a sevice is issue it is common for LCD projectors. It will vary between the different picture modes being used. All LCD projectors have some level of color uniformity."

Anyone have the time and care to take a photo of an all white screen?

post #115 of 161 Old 01-06-2014, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Panasonic support is telling me "Based on the picture you have provided, what you are seeing is color uniformity which is normal for any LCD projector when displaying all white screen." When I pressed them on this claiming others suggest their projector doesn't exhibit this I got "Can you provide pictures of their screen with the same type of white screen image being display?The color uniformity is not a sevice is issue it is common for LCD projectors. It will vary between the different picture modes being used. All LCD projectors have some level of color uniformity."

Anyone have the time and care to take a photo of an all white screen?

I'll try and take some photos tonight after it has run for a few hours.

post #116 of 161 Old 01-06-2014, 11:37 AM

Quote:

I'll try and take some photos tonight after it has run for a few hours.

Might be handy to have a photo after 15-20 minutes in cinema mode. I generally only use mine for about 2-3 hours at a time.

post #117 of 161 Old 01-07-2014, 06:18 AM

I created a gif of the output from different modes. The camera seems to have "normalized" the brightness in each one. I used a different camera for these shots than for the first shot.

post #118 of 161 Old 01-07-2014, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I created a gif of the output from different modes. The camera seems to have "normalized" the brightness in each one. I used a different camera for these shots than for the first shot.

I took a photo with my iPhone 4S (decent camera) last night - 100% White screen on the AVS HD 709 calibration disc using my Panasonic DMP-BDT210 Blu-ray player. I reduced the size of the file by 50% to post here. Vivid Cinema in eco-mode. The projector has 2340 hours of use.

I did detect a bit of a pink tint on the bottom and right side of the screen which doesn't show up well in the photo. I attribute that to the red-rich lamp used in the projector. But the effect is nowhere near as visible as it is in your photos.

post #119 of 161 Old 01-07-2014, 08:32 AM

Quote:

I took a photo with my iPhone 4S (decent camera) last night using the 100% White screen on the AVS HD 709 calibration disc using my Panasonic DMP-BDT210 Blu-ray player. I reduced the size of the file by 50% to post here. Vivid Cinema in eco-mode. The projector has 2340 hours of use.

I did detect a bit of a pink tint on the bottom and right side of the screen which doesn't show up well in the photo. I attribute that to the red-rich lamp used in the projector. But the effect is nowhere near as visible as it is in your photos.

Thanks, this helps a ton!

post #120 of 161 Old 01-07-2014, 08:37 AM

Quote:

I took a photo with my iPhone 4S (decent camera) last night - 100% White screen on the AVS HD 709 calibration disc using my Panasonic DMP-BDT210 Blu-ray player. I reduced the size of the file by 50% to post here. Vivid Cinema in eco-mode. The projector has 2340 hours of use.

What kind of screen do you have BTW?

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page