The official Panasonic PT-AR100U Owners Thread - Page 6 - AVS Forum
First ... 4  5  6
Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP > The official Panasonic PT-AR100U Owners Thread
Mr.G's Avatar Mr.G 09:15 AM 05-26-2014
Here are pictures of the lamp unboxing. Notice new filter elements.








Mr.G's Avatar Mr.G 09:30 AM 05-26-2014
Here are pictures of the install. I took my projector down from the Peerless ceiling mount.



Flipped it over to get at the lamp section at the top of the projector.



Lifted lid which sounded a little squeaky and plastic, much like a car hood it holds at an angle.


Mr.G's Avatar Mr.G 09:43 AM 05-26-2014
Loosen Philips screw holding lamp compartment lid and lift off.



Loosen the two Philips screws holding the lamp module in place.

There is an Unlock Lamp tab (seen in picture) that has to be moved out of the way in order to lift out the lamp module.




Mr.G's Avatar Mr.G 09:59 AM 05-26-2014
After the lamp was out of the projector I wiped down the interior a little, there was some minor dust in my unit.



The filter holder has to be disassembled by unlocking the tabs that hold the two parts together.





Remove old foam and electrostatic filters and replace with new elements.



Reassemble.



Reinstall everything in reverse order and you're done.

Of course you have to reset the lamp counter. Those instructions are included in the box.
Steven Kelley's Avatar Steven Kelley 10:46 AM 05-26-2014
Very nice! Seems very straight fwd. Thanks for all the detailed pics. Can you post all this on the forum? I'm at 2876 hours and still going strong!
Mr.G's Avatar Mr.G 09:48 AM 05-27-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Kelley View Post

Very nice! Seems very straight fwd. Thanks for all the detailed pics. Can you post all this on the forum? I'm at 2876 hours and still going strong!

Steven, it's surprising how one gets use to lower lumens, thinking there is minimum quality loss. I was pleasantly surprised to find the picture with the new lamp not only brighter but the colors had more punch, it was quite noticeable. You won't regret installing a new lamp if and when you do. I am keeping my old lamp as a spare.

I got my lux meter out and measured the light output on my screen. I did a double-take when I measured 1812 lumens. Why? Because my original lamp measurement when the projector was new was only 1417 lumens.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1428735/the-official-panasonic-pt-ar100u-owners-thread/120#post_24238492

Then I happened to notice that the projector had switched to Normal picture mode when I had reset the hours counter after installing the new lamp. I've always run it in the dimmer Vivid Cinema mode. Aha, I thought. I switched the picture mode back to Vivid Cinema and re-measured. Once again I was surprised because the 9 point reading came out to 1662 lumens - still much higher than the original 1417 lumens. Either they've tweaked the bulb manufacture or it's an aberration.

I'll have to admit I found watching several X-Men movies in Normal picture mode (which is the second brightest) to be quite satisfying. I will be switching between the two picture modes to see which one I prefer. Just FYI. wink.gif
Eswetland's Avatar Eswetland 06:48 PM 05-30-2014

Any thoughts on replacing just the bulb.  Is it a lot more difficult than changing the Lamp Unit.

Thanks


Mr.G's Avatar Mr.G 10:28 AM 05-31-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eswetland View Post

Any thoughts on replacing just the bulb.  Is it a lot more difficult than changing the Lamp Unit.
Thanks

Really doesn't make much sense in my opinion. Any bare bulbs I've seen for the AR100U run around $200. And there are other factors to consider.

Think Before Relamping a Projector Lamp
Mr.G's Avatar Mr.G 10:59 AM 07-17-2014
I recently replaced the lamp in my AR100U and after doing so I noticed a fairly circular light patch on the lower right hand corner of the screen, most noticeable when the screen was black. At first I thought it was some sort of inner reflection of my new lamp but when I replaced it with the old lamp the light patch was still there only fainter. The brighter new lamp made the light patch more noticeable and I then realized I had my first ever dust blob, something I had read of but never experienced myself.

I opened up my copy of the AR100U service manual and found the instructions for removing the top cover.



This is what the AR100U looks like with the cover removed. Very similar to other LCD projectors.



I tipped the projector onto its back side to use the canned compressed air. It's important to keep the can upright so no propellant comes out, just the compressed air. I started with the Green LCD panel since it's known that dust blobs show up best in this color. There is a beige clip that keeps tension on the LCD ribbon cable that connected to the A P.C. board, the clip has to be flipped up to release the ribbon. There are two holes on the ribbon cable which I used with a pencil to pull the ribbon out and later to push the ribbon back into place.



A close-up of the ribbon cable, the two holes and the beige clip.



By releasing the ribbon cables from the A P.C. board I was better able to see the LCD panels and filters. Keeping the compressed air can upright I used long steady blasts of air similar to hosing down your driveway, moving from side to side parallel to the LCD panel. I repeated this several times for each panel. I had two cans of compressed air and switched between the two when one can got too cold.

You don't have to release the ribbon cables from the A P.C. board, you can just shoot the compressed air around them. For me I wanted to be as thorough as possible the first time I did this so there was less chance I would have to repeat the process. After replacing the top of the case and the lid I placed the projector back into the ceiling mount and fired it up. Voila - the dust blob was gone!

As an aside I also took a close-up picture of the power fan, it was extremely dusty, much like a computer fan would look like. I thought about cleaning it off but didn't want to risk the chance of introducing loose dust inside the projector, so I just left it alone for now. But it does point out why projectors without sealed optics can get dust blobs.


Attached: image_16.jpeg (96.1 KB)  removal-of-cover.jpg (143.6 KB)  image_1.jpeg (200.0 KB)  image_9.jpeg (199.8 KB)  image_11.jpeg (169.8 KB) 
p150's Avatar p150 07:49 AM 09-02-2014
Can someone comment on the weight distribution of the AR100? My projector sits on a shelf. In order to get the recommended 4 inches of space in the rear of the projector, I'm going to have to put the projector at the very front of the shelf so that the feet are at the edge, with the lens hanging over. I'm wondering if the weight of the projector is mostly in the front, back, middle or just relatively uniform. Thanks.
Mr.G's Avatar Mr.G 09:49 AM 09-03-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by p150 View Post
Can someone comment on the weight distribution of the AR100? My projector sits on a shelf. In order to get the recommended 4 inches of space in the rear of the projector, I'm going to have to put the projector at the very front of the shelf so that the feet are at the edge, with the lens hanging over. I'm wondering if the weight of the projector is mostly in the front, back, middle or just relatively uniform. Thanks.
The weight of the AR100U centered in the middle where the lamp and mainboard are located. The power supply is mainly to the rear.

Little reason to believe that the lens assembly is heavy enough would cause it to tip forward.
Steven Kelley's Avatar Steven Kelley 09:11 AM 10-16-2014
Well my bulb is still running at 3400hrs! I had to reset the counter at 3000hrs as it would shutoff every 15mins as a safety feature.

I just purchased a new bulb from Provantage for $309 and should get it next week. Can't wait to see a very bright projector again, and not worry about a ticking time bomb while watching a movie!

I'll post pics and updates as soon as I get it.
Steven Kelley's Avatar Steven Kelley 07:40 PM 10-20-2014
Okay installed the new lamp! The old lamp made it 3400hrs! (I do not recommend that) But it lasted way past it's factory recommendation.

so in the past I had issues with the projector running the fans on full speed while on ECO mode. I regularly kept the intake filter clean with quarterly compressed air cleanings. But I knew it was running hot because of dust in the exhaust fans. So I took the main cover off like Mr G. and saw the fans covered in a thick layer of dust. So I covered as much as possible with sheets of paper around the bulb compartment and other area's, just to clean the fans and got a majority of it out.

So closed it all up everything works great. However I now see some very faint dust blobs during my black screen test. I'll follow Mr. G's procedure to cleaning the green LCD, but I i'll be using an Air compressor at medium PSI to clean the LCD's instead of cans.

I figured i'd rather have a cool healthy running projector and risk having some dust blobs. Especially if my fans are randomly going on 100% on eco mode.

Thoughts?
Attached: image1.JPG (86.0 KB)  image3.JPG (83.4 KB)  image2.JPG (138.7 KB) 
Mr.G's Avatar Mr.G 08:54 PM 10-20-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Kelley View Post
Okay installed the new lamp! The old lamp made it 3400hrs! (I do not recommend that) But it lasted way past it's factory recommendation.

so in the past I had issues with the projector running the fans on full speed while on ECO mode. I regularly kept the intake filter clean with quarterly compressed air cleanings. But I knew it was running hot because of dust in the exhaust fans. So I took the main cover off like Mr G. and saw the fans covered in a thick layer of dust. So I covered as much as possible with sheets of paper around the bulb compartment and other area's, just to clean the fans and got a majority of it out.

So closed it all up everything works great. However I now see some very faint dust blobs during my black screen test. I'll follow Mr. G's procedure to cleaning the green LCD, but I i'll be using an Air compressor at medium PSI to clean the LCD's instead of cans.

I figured i'd rather have a cool healthy running projector and risk having some dust blobs. Especially if my fans are randomly going on 100% on eco mode.

Thoughts?
Interesting that cured your heat/fan problem. The method I showed in previous posts should work for you even with compressor although I'd start out at the lowest pressure and increase if you feel the need.
Steven Kelley's Avatar Steven Kelley 09:28 PM 10-20-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
Interesting that cured your heat/fan problem. The method I showed in previous posts should work for you even with compressor although I'd start out at the lowest pressure and increase if you feel the need.

I'll take the projector down again and hit it again with more compressed air. My daughter's room is above the projector and it scared here when I re-installed it back to the ceiling. "why are you under my bed!" She's 3 years old. LOL

I'll report back letting you know if it worked tomorrow.
Steven Kelley's Avatar Steven Kelley 07:47 PM 10-21-2014
Success! No more dust blobs! I unpinned each ribbon and cleaned under each one with an air compressor on a medium PSI, worked like a charm!
Mr.G's Avatar Mr.G 10:25 AM 10-23-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Kelley View Post
Success! No more dust blobs! I unpinned each ribbon and cleaned under each one with an air compressor on a medium PSI, worked like a charm!
That's great, good work.
lind777's Avatar lind777 09:56 AM 11-01-2014
I currently have a Pansonic AX200U and my bulb is probably on its last legs and am considering whether or not to upgrade to a 1080P projector or just replace the bulb. Any comment on whether the AR100U will give a better picture on DVDs and over the air TV with its 1080P/2,800 lumnes/50,000:1 specs versus the AX200U's 720P/2,000 lumens/6,000:1 specs?

It has been awhile since I have looked around. The AX200U has served very well giving a very cinema-like image. I can't stand the LED TV look or a look that is too bright and contrasty.

Thanks for any comments.

Don
Mr.G's Avatar Mr.G 10:15 AM 11-01-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by lind777 View Post
I currently have a Pansonic AX200U and my bulb is probably on its last legs and am considering whether or not to upgrade to a 1080P projector or just replace the bulb. Any comment on whether the AR100U will give a better picture on DVDs and over the air TV with its 1080P/2,800 lumnes/50,000:1 specs versus the AX200U's 720P/2,000 lumens/6,000:1 specs?

It has been awhile since I have looked around. The AX200U has served very well giving a very cinema-like image. I can't stand the LED TV look or a look that is too bright and contrasty.

Thanks for any comments.

Don
No need to worry whether the $1300 AR100U is an improvement over your present AX200U, it is.

Here's a review that points out the AR100U strengths and weaknesses.

http://www.projectorreviews.com/pana...jector-review/
lind777's Avatar lind777 03:53 PM 11-02-2014
Thanks!
digiman30 09:42 AM 11-08-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Kelley View Post
Well my bulb is still running at 3400hrs! I had to reset the counter at 3000hrs as it would shutoff every 15mins as a safety feature.

I just purchased a new bulb for $309 and should get it next week. Can't wait to see a very bright projector again, and not worry about a ticking time bomb while watching a movie!

I'll post pics and updates as soon as I get it.
Excellent runtime on the lamp! Ive run mine exclusively in ECO with a minimum runtime of at least 90 to 120 minutes per strike and got my replace lamp message last night at only 2700 hours. I'll probably keep it as a spare hoping there are at least 100 to 200 hours still in it.

I also had major problems with dust blobs.....showing up as blue tinged spots concentrated in the upper left corner of the image and spread throughout the rest of the image in lesser concentrations. Mr Gs methods cleared it all up though.

This thread is a great resource and has been a great help!
First ... 4  5  6

Up
Mobile  Desktop