The official Panasonic PT-AR100U Owners Thread - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 159 Old 05-26-2014, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Here are pictures of the lamp unboxing. Notice new filter elements.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 159 Old 05-26-2014, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Here are pictures of the install. I took my projector down from the Peerless ceiling mount.

Flipped it over to get at the lamp section at the top of the projector.

Lifted lid which sounded a little squeaky and plastic, much like a car hood it holds at an angle.

post #153 of 159 Old 05-26-2014, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Loosen Philips screw holding lamp compartment lid and lift off.

Loosen the two Philips screws holding the lamp module in place.

There is an Unlock Lamp tab (seen in picture) that has to be moved out of the way in order to lift out the lamp module.

post #154 of 159 Old 05-26-2014, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

After the lamp was out of the projector I wiped down the interior a little, there was some minor dust in my unit.

The filter holder has to be disassembled by unlocking the tabs that hold the two parts together.

Remove old foam and electrostatic filters and replace with new elements.

Reassemble.

Reinstall everything in reverse order and you're done.

Of course you have to reset the lamp counter. Those instructions are included in the box.

post #155 of 159 Old 05-26-2014, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Very nice! Seems very straight fwd. Thanks for all the detailed pics. Can you post all this on the forum? I'm at 2876 hours and still going strong!
post #156 of 159 Old 05-27-2014, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Kelley View Post

Very nice! Seems very straight fwd. Thanks for all the detailed pics. Can you post all this on the forum? I'm at 2876 hours and still going strong!

Steven, it's surprising how one gets use to lower lumens, thinking there is minimum quality loss. I was pleasantly surprised to find the picture with the new lamp not only brighter but the colors had more punch, it was quite noticeable. You won't regret installing a new lamp if and when you do. I am keeping my old lamp as a spare.

I got my lux meter out and measured the light output on my screen. I did a double-take when I measured 1812 lumens. Why? Because my original lamp measurement when the projector was new was only 1417 lumens.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1428735/the-official-panasonic-pt-ar100u-owners-thread/120#post_24238492

Then I happened to notice that the projector had switched to Normal picture mode when I had reset the hours counter after installing the new lamp. I've always run it in the dimmer Vivid Cinema mode. Aha, I thought. I switched the picture mode back to Vivid Cinema and re-measured. Once again I was surprised because the 9 point reading came out to 1662 lumens - still much higher than the original 1417 lumens. Either they've tweaked the bulb manufacture or it's an aberration.

I'll have to admit I found watching several X-Men movies in Normal picture mode (which is the second brightest) to be quite satisfying. I will be switching between the two picture modes to see which one I prefer. Just FYI. wink.gif

post #157 of 159 Old 05-30-2014, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Any thoughts on replacing just the bulb.  Is it a lot more difficult than changing the Lamp Unit.

Thanks

post #158 of 159 Old 05-31-2014, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eswetland View Post

Any thoughts on replacing just the bulb.  Is it a lot more difficult than changing the Lamp Unit.
Thanks

Really doesn't make much sense in my opinion. Any bare bulbs I've seen for the AR100U run around $200. And there are other factors to consider.

Think Before Relamping a Projector Lamp

post #159 of 159 Old 07-17-2014, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

The dreaded dust blob...

I recently replaced the lamp in my AR100U and after doing so I noticed a fairly circular light patch on the lower right hand corner of the screen, most noticeable when the screen was black. At first I thought it was some sort of inner reflection of my new lamp but when I replaced it with the old lamp the light patch was still there only fainter. The brighter new lamp made the light patch more noticeable and I then realized I had my first ever dust blob, something I had read of but never experienced myself.

I opened up my copy of the AR100U service manual and found the instructions for removing the top cover.

This is what the AR100U looks like with the cover removed. Very similar to other LCD projectors.

I tipped the projector onto its back side to use the canned compressed air. It's important to keep the can upright so no propellant comes out, just the compressed air. I started with the Green LCD panel since it's known that dust blobs show up best in this color. There is a beige clip that keeps tension on the LCD ribbon cable that connected to the A P.C. board, the clip has to be flipped up to release the ribbon. There are two holes on the ribbon cable which I used with a pencil to pull the ribbon out and later to push the ribbon back into place.

A close-up of the ribbon cable, the two holes and the beige clip.

By releasing the ribbon cables from the A P.C. board I was better able to see the LCD panels and filters. Keeping the compressed air can upright I used long steady blasts of air similar to hosing down your driveway, moving from side to side parallel to the LCD panel. I repeated this several times for each panel. I had two cans of compressed air and switched between the two when one can got too cold.

You don't have to release the ribbon cables from the A P.C. board, you can just shoot the compressed air around them. For me I wanted to be as thorough as possible the first time I did this so there was less chance I would have to repeat the process. After replacing the top of the case and the lid I placed the projector back into the ceiling mount and fired it up. Voila - the dust blob was gone!

As an aside I also took a close-up picture of the power fan, it was extremely dusty, much like a computer fan would look like. I thought about cleaning it off but didn't want to risk the chance of introducing loose dust inside the projector, so I just left it alone for now. But it does point out why projectors without sealed optics can get dust blobs.

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image_16.jpeg (96.1 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg removal-of-cover.jpg (143.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpeg image_1.jpeg (200.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpeg image_9.jpeg (199.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpeg image_11.jpeg (169.8 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by Mr.G; 07-18-2014 at 06:48 AM.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page