The official Panasonic PT-AR100U Owners Thread - Page 7 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #181 of 209 Old 06-01-2015, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsw5620 View Post
I have the PT-AR100U and I love the projector. I was to watch a movie last night and it will not turn on. No Power/Standby light. Nothing. I have checked power and I am getting power all the way up to where it plugs into the projector. Is there an internal fuse or something like that that I can check or anyone have any suggestions?
Sorry to hear this. Have you toggled your power switch on and off to make sure that's not the culprit?

Otherwise it looks like a call to Panasonic repair is in order.

There are fuses in the AR100U but I don't think any are user replaceable. Plus it could be another underlying problem.

From the repair manual:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fuse.png
Views:	21
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	749705  

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 209 Old 06-01-2015, 06:30 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
Sorry to hear this. Have you toggled your power switch on and off to make sure that's not the culprit?

Otherwise it looks like a call to Panasonic repair is in order.

There are fuses in the AR100U but I don't think any are user replaceable. Plus it could be another underlying problem.

From the repair manual:
Yes I've toggled the switch, unplugged and plugged power back in. Nothing has worked at all. Almost like there is no power to it at all. I guess I need to find the number to Panasonic repair.
post #183 of 209 Old 06-01-2015, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yes I've toggled the switch, unplugged and plugged power back in. Nothing has worked at all. Almost like there is no power to it at all. I guess I need to find the number to Panasonic repair.
Both consumer and business projectors are handled here:

http://www.business.panasonic.com/su...ogy-projectors

Look for Contact Support button.

Any followup information can be posted back to this thread. Good luck.

post #184 of 209 Old 06-01-2015, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Both consumer and business projectors are handled here:

http://www.business.panasonic.com/su...ogy-projectors

Look for Contact Support button.

Any followup information can be posted back to this thread. Good luck.
Thank you sir!
post #185 of 209 Old 06-01-2015, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Let's get a bulb hour check on our PT-AR100U
Bulb# / hours

For me: 2nd bulb / 1500hrs
post #186 of 209 Old 06-04-2015, 05:34 PM

Just out of curiosity, if the bulb is blown would the until still power on or would it appear like it isn't even plugged in?
post #187 of 209 Old 06-04-2015, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, if the bulb is blown would the until still power on or would it appear like it isn't even plugged in?
You should have gotten a flashing red status led light.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lamp-status.png
Views:	13
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	756241  

post #188 of 209 Old 06-22-2015, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Thank you sir!
Im in the same boat, went to power mine on to get some gaming time in and it was just dead.... Can you tell me how much you were quoted at for the repair? Im trying to determine if its worth repairing or is it more sensible to go out and get a new one or upgrade. I have about 1500 hours on the bulb so a replacement bulb would be in the near future also.
post #189 of 209 Old 06-22-2015, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH393 View Post
Im in the same boat, went to power mine on to get some gaming time in and it was just dead.... Can you tell me how much you were quoted at for the repair? Im trying to determine if its worth repairing or is it more sensible to go out and get a new one or upgrade. I have about 1500 hours on the bulb so a replacement bulb would be in the near future also.
I talked with Panasonic. $130 just to look at it plus you pay return shipping. That will be applied to the first hour of repair if you choose to have it repaired. No clue what the repair bill will be, but I'm assuming probably at the minimum of $500 plus purchasing a new bulb and return shipping. Then you have prob $1000 in a projector with no warranty.
post #190 of 209 Old 06-22-2015, 08:58 AM

Quote:
I talked with Panasonic. $130 just to look at it plus you pay return shipping. That will be applied to the first hour of repair if you choose to have it repaired. No clue what the repair bill will be, but I'm assuming probably at the minimum of $500 plus purchasing a new bulb and return shipping. Then you have prob $1000 in a projector with no warranty.
Thanks, pretty much what i was figuring. Guess ill be buying a new one sigh..... Has anyone attempted a repair themselves?
post #191 of 209 Old 06-22-2015, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That's pretty standard with Panasonic. Their repair work is almost always farmed out to Heartland Services.

http://www.heartlandsi.com/

As a last resort I would contact Heartland via phone (or contact form) and try to talk to one of the technicians there about the problem. Whether they've come across this particular problem before and what the resulting cost was for the repair.

Personally I feel that Panasonic is getting out of the home theater projector market. They've been hemorrhaging money in the video division for quite some time and I think the competition in low end projectors is too much for them to overcome...and no new models since the 2012 PT-AE8000 projector.

http://panasonic.net/avc/projector/s...tor/index.html

My AR100U has been working admirably for years and I have 1300 hours on the second lamp. But if and when it fails I would think long and hard on what to replace it with since it's best suited to living room and family room environments with some ambient light. Very few projectors can compete with its brightness.
JoeTiVo likes this.

post #192 of 209 Old 06-22-2015, 09:55 AM

Quote:
That's pretty standard with Panasonic. Their repair work is almost always farmed out to Heartland Services.

http://www.heartlandsi.com/

As a last resort I would contact Heartland via phone (or contact form) and try to talk to one of the technicians there about the problem. Whether they've come across this particular problem before and what the resulting cost was for the repair.

Personally I feel that Panasonic is getting out of the home theater projector market. They've been hemorrhaging money in the video division for quite some time and I think the competition in low end projectors is too much for them to overcome...and no new models since the 2012 PT-AE8000 projector.

http://panasonic.net/avc/projector/s...tor/index.html

My AR100U has been working admirably for years and I have 1300 hours on the second lamp. But if and when it fails I would think long and hard on what to replace it with since it's best suited to living room and family room environments with some ambient light. Very few projectors can compete with its brightness.
The brightness is the reason I chose it to begin with. I have a lot of ambient light source in the room where mine is and it performed great! I may try the heartland route. Thanks for the heads up on that.
post #193 of 209 Old 06-22-2015, 10:54 AM

I called Heartland and should be receiving a return call from one of the techs today in regards to a price quote.
post #194 of 209 Old 06-24-2015, 05:09 AM

Well Heartland gave me the same ole same ole......need to see it $130.... cant give you a ball park figure on repair for your suspected issue. At this point im ready to chalk this up as a loss. I found new AR100s online for $989 but now im weary of getting another due to reliability issues.
post #195 of 209 Old 06-24-2015, 07:56 AM

Mr.G in your opinion would it be worth spending the extra coins and getting the AE8000? Im in a room with a good bit of ambient light during the daytime, have no real use for 3D (probably because I don't have the option). Gaming is my #1 priority followed by TV(sports), movies and streaming video. Im not a heavy user as i only had <1600 hours on my original bulb and had owned my AR since Nov 2011. For the price point the AE seems like a steal but im actually unsure if it fits my needs. Sidenote can you send me a copy of the service manual for the AR100.
post #196 of 209 Old 06-24-2015, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well Heartland gave me the same ole same ole......need to see it $130.... cant give you a ball park figure on repair for your suspected issue. At this point im ready to chalk this up as a loss. I found new AR100s online for $989 but now im weary of getting another due to reliability issues.
Actually the AR100U is one of the most reliable projectors in the under $3000 category. Compared to problems with other manufactured projectors it's rock solid. But I understand your reluctance to invest in another.

post #197 of 209 Old 06-24-2015, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Mr.G in your opinion would it be worth spending the extra coins and getting the AE8000? Im in a room with a good bit of ambient light during the daytime, have no real use for 3D (probably because I don't have the option). Gaming is my #1 priority followed by TV(sports), movies and streaming video. Im not a heavy user as i only had <1600 hours on my original bulb and had owned my AR since Nov 2011. For the price point the AE seems like a steal but im actually unsure if it fits my needs. Sidenote can you send me a copy of the service manual for the AR100.
The AE8000 has had its issues, just read through the thread in this category. But at its current price point it's tempting I know. Depends on what you're willing to pay. Other contributors here would likely push you toward the Sony VPL-HW40ES.

Send me a PM with your email address and I will send you a copy of the service manual.

post #198 of 209 Old 06-24-2015, 11:57 AM

Quote:
The AE8000 has had its issues, just read through the thread in this category. But at its current price point it's tempting I know. Depends on what you're willing to pay. Other contributors here would likely push you toward the Sony VPL-HW40ES.

Send me a PM with your email address and I will send you a copy of the service manual.
Still think im too new to send a pm so m, Secondly for others who may want to attempt the repair on their own the part # for the power supply is ETX2MM856MD and i was quoted at $148.54 plus 35 for shipping from Heartland. With that being said if a faulty power supply is your issue your looking at a rough estimate of $500 for repair.

Last edited by BrianH393; 06-25-2015 at 04:52 PM.
post #199 of 209 Old 06-25-2015, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
For others who may want to attempt the repair on their own the part # for the power supply is ETX2MM856MD and i was quoted at $148.54 plus 35 for shipping from Heartland. With that being said if a faulty power supply is your issue your looking at a rough estimate of $500 for repair.
Interesting. Why do you think the problem is with the power supply? Talking with the tech?

Any any rate I've emailed you the service manual, hope it helps. You'll probably want to edit your last post to delete your email address.

post #200 of 209 Old 06-25-2015, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Interesting. Why do you think the problem is with the power supply? Talking with the tech?

Any any rate I've emailed you the service manual, hope it helps. You'll probably want to edit your last post to delete your email address.
I figured it's gotta be the power supply because it worked before a lightning storm and didn't work after so I'm thinking maybe there was a power surge that fried it as its the only item I have that's not plugged into a surge protector. I've since purchased a whole home surge protector. Idk just a blind guess.
post #201 of 209 Old 06-26-2015, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I figured it's gotta be the power supply because it worked before a lightning storm and didn't work after so I'm thinking maybe there was a power surge that fried it as its the only item I have that's not plugged into a surge protector. I've since purchased a whole home surge protector. Idk just a blind guess.
In that case i'm guessing the entire motherboard is fried not just the power supply. You didn't have it on a surge protector in the first place?

I hope you have the option to return the powersupply if it doesn't work. Good luck!
post #202 of 209 Old 06-26-2015, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

IMO the AR100U excels at what it was intended for and it would be hard to find an LCD projector that does the same.

I was surprised to learn that two of the biggest AVS sponsors Projector People and Visual Apex (and both companies I have bought from) no longer stock the AR100U.

Which continues to tell me that Panasonic is about to exit the home theater projector market.

There are still a few well regarded merchants like AGI that are still selling the AR100U for around $1000.

I'm almost tempted to buy another one as a back-up since the AR100U fits my room and purposes perfectly.

The replacement lamp costs $300 which means the projector itself is only $700 - at least that's one to rationalize it.

post #203 of 209 Old 06-27-2015, 08:47 AM

Quote:
IMO the AR100U excels at what it was intended for and it would be hard to find an LCD projector that does the same.

I was surprised to learn that two of the biggest AVS sponsors Projector People and Visual Apex (and both companies I have bought from) no longer stock the AR100U.

Which continues to tell me that Panasonic is about to exit the home theater projector market.

There are still a few well regarded merchants like AGI that are still selling the AR100U for around $1000.

I'm almost tempted to buy another one as a back-up since the AR100U fits my room and purposes perfectly.

The replacement lamp costs $300 which means the projector itself is only $700 - at least that's one to rationalize it.
Thank you for all of your help, in the end i decided to go with the HW40, i couldnt pass up on the 500 off and all of the upside it brings, plus as you said Panny seems to be getting out of the business. I figure i may just have to make the necessary adjustments to my room to enhance the viewing. Thanks again!
post #204 of 209 Old 06-27-2015, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Kelley View Post
In that case i'm guessing the entire motherboard is fried not just the power supply. You didn't have it on a surge protector in the first place?

I hope you have the option to return the powersupply if it doesn't work. Good luck!
Ive pretty much scrapped the idea of a self repair i forsee myself doing more harm then help and losing money.
post #205 of 209 Old Yesterday, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Ive pretty much scrapped the idea of a self repair i forsee myself doing more harm then help and losing money.
I agree. Trying to diagnose the problem without the proper tools makes it a crap-shot. You may get lucky in some cases but often not.

post #206 of 209 Old Yesterday, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thank you for all of your help, in the end i decided to go with the HW40, i couldn't pass up on the 500 off and all of the upside it brings, plus as you said Panny seems to be getting out of the business. I figure i may just have to make the necessary adjustments to my room to enhance the viewing. Thanks again!
Brian, by all accounts the Sony HW40 seems like an ideal projector. Hopefully you'll post your review of the Sony back to this thread. I would be very interested in reading your opinion of whether the ~$1000 difference between the AR100U and Sony is worthwhile. Cheers.

post #207 of 209 Old Yesterday, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Kelley View Post
Let's get a bulb hour check on our PT-AR100U
Bulb# / hours

For me: 2nd bulb / 1500hrs
I'm on my second bulb 800 hrs, all eco mode.

No major issues (total unit hours 3600hrs eco) except for the dust blobs previously mentioned by Mr G and myself. Ive had to disconnect the LCD ribbons for a second time and give the LCD panels a direct blast of compressed air. It helps clear up the image significantly but its not a total cure all for me and there is a still a faint trace of blobs and dots that are visible on pure white / red backgrounds. Giving the panels extended blasts of air seems a little risky so I can live with the image as it is.

The lack of sealed optics and light path continues to be my only complaint with this excellent projector.

If Panasonic leaves the projector market, does that mean it would stop producing genuine replacement bulbs as well?
post #208 of 209 Old Yesterday, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Brian, by all accounts the Sony HW40 seems like an ideal projector. Hopefully you'll post your review of the Sony back to this thread. I would be very interested in reading your opinion of whether the ~$1000 difference between the AR100U and Sony is worthwhile. Cheers.
I certainly will do
post #209 of 209 Old Today, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiman30 View Post
I'm on my second bulb 800 hrs, all eco mode.

No major issues (total unit hours 3600hrs eco) except for the dust blobs previously mentioned by Mr G and myself. Ive had to disconnect the LCD ribbons for a second time and give the LCD panels a direct blast of compressed air. It helps clear up the image significantly but its not a total cure all for me and there is a still a faint trace of blobs and dots that are visible on pure white / red backgrounds. Giving the panels extended blasts of air seems a little risky so I can live with the image as it is.

The lack of sealed optics and light path continues to be my only complaint with this excellent projector.

If Panasonic leaves the projector market, does that mean it would stop producing genuine replacement bulbs as well?

Usually manufactures support products for several years after a product is discontinued. Especially a large company like Panasonic. I'd imagine your projector will die out before bulbs are hard to come by.

I agree the lack of sealed light tunnels is my only complaint, however I haven't' seen a projector in this price range that has a sealed optics, luckily it's very easy to clean the dust blobs out. The Epson models have zero easy access to fix them that i'm aware of.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page