The official Panasonic PT-AR100U Owners Thread - Page 8 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
post #211 of 219 Old 07-11-2015, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH393 View Post
Well after spending some significant time with the HW40 I must say it is a huge step up in quality, not that the AR was bad but the difference is super noticeable. I find that it has more than enough lumens to generate a beautiful picture even in ambient light also I actually think I have more control with my lighting than I originally thought. I can def say I miss the ease of setup I had with the AR even now I still fond myself tinkering trying to make picture adjustments. All in all the investment was worth it but only because I had to I was more than satisfied with the AR and if it wouldnt have went down id still be using it without thought of upgrade.
Thanks for posting your follow-up, I found your projector comparison very interesting.

If I ever lose my AR100U (heaven forbid) I'll certainly put the Sony high on my list.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 219 Old 07-11-2015, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The AR-100U served me well for 2 1/2 years. But now it won't start - similar to the most recent postings. For a while, I could get it to start by powering off and then back on - several times if necessary. To complicate matters, I have the projector in Brasil. I guess I will try to sell it for parts. Check out the attached estimate of repairs. Over USD$1000 here as well. And then I would have to wait 3-4 months for imported parts. Unless, I could bring the parts here from the US - and if I could then replace them myself. Any thoughts??? thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pan est.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	824666  
post #213 of 219 Old 07-12-2015, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kusamba View Post
The AR-100U served me well for 2 1/2 years. But now it won't start - similar to the most recent postings. For a while, I could get it to start by powering off and then back on - several times if necessary. To complicate matters, I have the projector in Brasil. I guess I will try to sell it for parts. Check out the attached estimate of repairs. Over USD$1000 here as well. And then I would have to wait 3-4 months for imported parts. Unless, I could bring the parts here from the US - and if I could then replace them myself. Any thoughts??? thanks
Personally I would move on to another projector. The projector first shipped in October 2011 and is getting a little long in the tooth. It's not a surprise that people are beginning to post problems with power supply and ballast issues. In the U.S. you can still buy a new AR100U for $1000 so fixing this projector for that much money is not realistic.

Unless you are very technically savvy with projector repair I would not recommend trying to fix it. I've owned my AR100U since January 2012 and I love it. But if it should ever break down I'll likely go looking for a replacement.

post #214 of 219 Old 08-25-2015, 08:24 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Kelley View Post
Let's get a bulb hour check on our PT-AR100U
Bulb# / hours
For me: 2nd bulb / 1500hrs
Replaced the original bulb last night (bought projector 3/2012). It had 5267 hours. Yes, it was looking dim for a few months. The new bulb looks fantastic!
With shipping, Provantage (adds on shipping) was just a few dollars less than B&H (shipping included), but Provantage was going to ship it to Ohio and then to me to get around California tax so I went with B&H and the included three day shipping. I see Provantage is now out of stock on the ET-LAA110.
http://www.provantage.com/panasonic-...0~7PANP0T6.htm
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...nt_Lamp_f.html
post #215 of 219 Old 08-25-2015, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtucker View Post
Replaced the original bulb last night (bought projector 3/2012). It had 5267 hours. Yes, it was looking dim for a few months. The new bulb looks fantastic!
I'm not surprised, 5267 hours, your lamp brightness was probably down to about 30 percent of the original output.

Enjoy!

post #216 of 219 Old Yesterday, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 240
I emailed Provantage and they won't move off their $303.10 price for the lamp...I just ordered it as I'm not going to risk a bum replacement for $40.

By the way, I may have missed it, but this PJ has been officially discontinued by Panasonic.

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #217 of 219 Old Yesterday, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 240
I had 2600 hours on mine in February of 2014- I can only imagine what I have on it now (I use mine everyday between Nov and March and a couple times a week, April to Sep in the garage).

I'll bet it's nearing 5K as well...hours that is!

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #218 of 219 Unread Today, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post
I emailed Provantage and they won't move off their $303.10 price for the lamp...I just ordered it as I'm not going to risk a bum replacement for $40.

By the way, I may have missed it, but this PJ has been officially discontinued by Panasonic.

James

So how will this effect replacement bulbs in the future? Will they become more expensive and harder to find?
post #219 of 219 Unread Today, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post
I had 2600 hours on mine in February of 2014- I can only imagine what I have on it now (I use mine everyday between Nov and March and a couple times a week, April to Sep in the garage).

I'll bet it's nearing 5K as well...hours that is!

James
You'll notice a difference with the new lamp. If I remember right you moved on to a different projector and now the AR100U is in the garage? Original ET-LAA110 Replacement Lamp for $303 + $7 shipping is not bad, even B&H Video (the other recommended site) has it for $325 with free shipping. The Provantage price is about what I paid back when.

The AR100U was discontinued several months ago on the Projector People and Visual Apex sites. AGI still has a few for $999 and B&H Video $1099. But there are many sellers on Amazon and elsewhere that still have stock to get rid of.

I'm hesitant to order a new lamp to keep in reserve for a projector that first shipped in October 2011. There is no telling if or when my AR100U might develop an electrical or mechanical problem (I would most likely not repair) and would look for something new.

Panasonic has not come out with a new home theater projector since the 8000 model (September 2012) and I don't really think they will continue since they are losing lots of money and also the strong competition from Epson and inexpensive DLP projectors.

How long OEM lamps for the AR100U will be around is a good question. There are already many clone lamps with Ushio bulbs advertised with prices falling in the $300 range. With exception of Epson most projector companies contract out the lamp production to big companies like Philips and others.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page