The official Panasonic PT-AR100U Owners Thread - Page 9 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #241 of 269 Old 08-01-2016, 06:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulpha View Post
Thanks again Mr G for the update! Good inspiration for me to order a new lamp....

After getting 10,725 hrs on my 3rd lamp (finally died with an error), I've got my original "backup" lamp in but it's now over 5,400 hrs and noticeably dim. Still usable in our controlled-light living room but half the shows we watch tend to be in the dark end of the scale, heh!

I've always stuck with name-brand Panasonic, but the price is so damn steep. I tried a unit from China but it died after only 900 hrs - that's like a week in our house - but some of them are so low in price it's tempting to try again. They seem to sell a lot via eBay and Amazon, but not much in the way of follow up reviews to indicate whether they last. I tried an "OEM" Ushio (yes, I informed the supplier that Ushio is/was in fact NOT an OEM for Panasonic), but it didn't fit... just slightly off in size so I had to return and upgrade for a Pana. The Pana lamp is going to cost me over $400 CDN by the time it's delivered - I could get at least 6 Chinese lamps for that amount! Hmmm....

Thoughts? Thx!
Amazing story of the torture test you've put this projector through!

As I said in my last post I pulled the previous lamp because it was too dim for me. However it only had 2700 hours on it. I boxed it up and put it away but it's yours if you want it. Just PM me. - G
Stephen31522 likes this.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten Movies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 269 Old 03-16-2017, 11:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just picked up a AR100U from ebay.... seems to be working as expected for 1700 hours on the bulb.

Two questions... (is anyone still listening to this thread?)

1) any suggestions / comments about changing the bulb...

2) for image shifting I note this projector has both the mechanical joystick and electronic horizontal and vertical shifting. Which is preferred? My set up has the projector at the rear wall at the "top of screen" height and slightly to the right of centerline (maybe 10%). It's a 120" screen.

Thanks for your comments...

RedCab.
JoeTiVo likes this.
post #243 of 269 Old 03-16-2017, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCab View Post
I just picked up a AR100U from ebay.... seems to be working as expected for 1700 hours on the bulb.

2) for image shifting I note this projector has both the mechanical joystick and electronic horizontal and vertical shifting. Which is preferred? My set up has the projector at the rear wall at the "top of screen" height and slightly to the right of centerline (maybe 10%). It's a 120" screen.

RedCab.
1) Changing the bulb is pretty simple, I think there is a picture walkthrough on this thread somewhere but you essentially just need to unscrew the little hatch on the bottom and lift out the entire bulb/housing and slide the new one in. First time i did it I thought i needed to unscrew the housing itself which was annoying mistake. I got my most recent ET-LAA110 Replacement Lamp from adorama a year and a half ago. It works great, but just looked and it's currently $100 more there and on back order so may want to shop around. Beware 3rd party bulbs, got one once and it didn't last. Have 1700 hrs on this one and still looks great in eco on 135" 1.1 gain.

2)I've only ever used the mechanical lens shift, don't really know the difference but assume it's preferable. I'm sure some of the more knowledgable folks on here can help.

post #244 of 269 Old 03-17-2017, 05:51 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

RedCab.
You should be able to search online for a manual.
After you take the bulb cover off, there are two screws on the lamp assembly that need to be unscrewed, however they are clipped into the assembly so they are not supposed to come out. Just undo them so the assembly can be pulled out.

Use the mechanical to set screen position. Should be all you need.

I highly recommend you regularly remove the air filter on the side and blast the filter w compressed air. Ours is on a lot so I do it monthly. If it plugs up, there won't be enough Air flow to cool the polarizers and they'll start to burn-in.

Happy big screening...
post #245 of 269 Old 03-17-2017, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

RedCab.
Just to add to the excellent comments you've already received. It's best to stay with OEM lamps although it can be tempting to try a cheaper knock-off. Interestingly as previously mentioned the cost for the OEM Model ET-LAA110 replacement lamp has increased at Provantage to $400 indicating that the supply of lamps is beginning to dwindle. By Googling you can still find the lamp selling closer to $300 (what I have paid in the past) but sellers are more suspect. Some serious issues that have arisen with cheap lamp knock-offs is that the connector has melted where the lamp plugs into the projector. The lamp is difficult to remove afterward plus the melted projector connector needs to be replaced.

The difference between using the mechanical adjustment (best) versus electronic keystoning is a slight loss of resolution.

Keeping the filter clean is good advice. Every owner is different on how and when they do this. For me I usually clean my filter every 500 hours of use. I use the vacuum cleaner method. I disassemble the filter holder, take out the foam filter to vacuum. Careful to hold on tight since it can easily be sucked into vacuum.

post #246 of 269 Old 03-17-2017, 08:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Ok, I'm usually pretty adept mechanically so I'm feeling pretty embarrassed asking this question...

The unit is sitting on a table. I've opened the top cover. I've unscrewed the single screw holding the lamp cover. I can lift up the lamp cover about a centimeter but it is not coming apart! I see two tabs holding the cover into the PJ's body but I can't seem to slide the cover in any direction to remove it. I can see that the fixing screw is completely unscrewed.

How do I get that darn lamp cover off? I'm pushing and pulling it in every direction but don't want to crack the plastic! Help!

RedCab and
Maybe this will help... go to about 1:30 or so...

Steve
"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."
My DVDs
My Theater
Theater Construction Album

post #247 of 269 Old 03-17-2017, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Took a deep breath and gave the lamp cover a good tug and it came off. 1 minute later, bulb is replaced. Much brighter now!

How long do these projectors typically last? I found the service menu and see that my "new to me" projector actually has nearly 10,000 hours on the unit. Are there any components (besides the lamp) that are prone to failure with hours? Is 10,000 hours (4th lamp replacement) considered "average" or is this PJ getting to its final hours? I'm satisfied with the picture quality... uniformly bright and no dust blobs. What can I expect?

RedCab...
post #248 of 269 Old 03-17-2017, 10:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Took a deep breath and gave the lamp cover a good tug and it came off. 1 minute later, bulb is replaced. Much brighter now!

How long do these projectors typically last? I found the service menu and see that my "new to me" projector actually has nearly 10,000 hours on the unit. Are there any components (besides the lamp) that are prone to failure with hours? Is 10,000 hours (4th lamp replacement) considered "average" or is this PJ getting to its final hours? I'm satisfied with the picture quality... uniformly bright and no dust blobs. What can I expect?

RedCab...
I'm on my third lamp including the original so my hours are nowhere near 10,000 hours and I've owned mine since January 2012 (has it really been 5 years now? Wow!). The projector was first shipped in October 2011, the last shipped in June 2016.

The PT-AR100U is built like a tank and there is no reason to believe that it will fail anytime soon. However with that many hours you're at the head of the pack and your experience in the future may become the touchstone for other owners. When owners start having problems with projectors you usually see this forum light up with complaints and requests for help. That's never really been the case with the AR-100U, a real work-horse in my opinion.
JoeTiVo likes this.

post #249 of 269 Old 03-26-2017, 04:26 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I recently purchased an AR100. I did my best to calibrate the image, but I could not get a satisfactory image. As soon as possible I will post photos showing the details. The problem I had was with the definition of the written sources, there seems to be a sort of ghost in the contours, I imagine there might be some misalignment of the lcd panels during the transport.

Could someone tell me if there is anything to be done? Any modification on the service menu or could someone post image of your projector with the sources of Windows Explorer for comparison?
post #250 of 269 Old 03-27-2017, 08:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerbrazil View Post
I recently purchased an AR100. I did my best to calibrate the image, but I could not get a satisfactory image. As soon as possible I will post photos showing the details. The problem I had was with the definition of the written sources, there seems to be a sort of ghost in the contours, I imagine there might be some misalignment of the lcd panels during the transport.

Could someone tell me if there is anything to be done? Any modification on the service menu or could someone post image of your projector with the sources of Windows Explorer for comparison?
You bought this used I assume. Why do you think the issue occurred during transport?

There is nothing in the service menu that will help you realign LCD panels.

Post a picture of your screen if possible.

post #251 of 269 Old 03-27-2017, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
You bought this used I assume. Why do you think the issue occurred during transport?

There is nothing in the service menu that will help you realign LCD panels.

Post a picture of your screen if possible.
Thanks Mr.G

Yes the projector was bought used. But it is in great condition. It has a new lamp and I checked the service menu for the total time of use of the equipment and it was only about 2700 hours of use and only 1 lamp reset. Unfortunately I still can not post images or links but I will host and try to post the links without the http:

My base of comparison is with my other Sanyo Z3000 projector that although it is not 100% it generates sharper sources and without these shadows / ghosts that I see in the Panasonic. I also had a Vivitek H1081

s11.postimg.org/uhzjg50fn/DSC_1519.jpg
s11.postimg.org/gpl4ki9o3/DSC_1520.jpg
s11.postimg.org/4c8adljzn/DSC_1521.jpg
post #252 of 269 Old 03-28-2017, 05:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
So the PT-AR100U is obsolete, and Panasonic doesn't make projectors anymore. When should we start stocking up on bulbs before there's none for sale?
post #253 of 269 Old 03-28-2017, 07:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Kelley View Post
So the PT-AR100U is obsolete, and Panasonic doesn't make projectors anymore. When should we start stocking up on bulbs before there's none for sale?
Steven, I've already noticed that the price of available bulbs has already increased at Provantage and B&H Video, now at $400. When the supply dies up you'll be forced to buy aftermarket brands. So if you're still happy with your AR100U buy now...or save the money for a newer projector.

post #254 of 269 Old 03-28-2017, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Steven, I've already noticed that the price of available bulbs has already increased at Provantage and B&H Video, now at $400. When the supply dies up you'll be forced to buy aftermarket brands. So if you're still happy with your AR100U buy now...or save the money for a newer projector.
Found a few places with what appears to be OEM bulbs for under $300
http://www.projectorlamps.com/panaso...OhMaAiy38P8HAQ

Thoughts?
post #255 of 269 Old 03-28-2017, 07:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks Mr.G

Yes the projector was bought used. But it is in great condition. It has a new lamp and I checked the service menu for the total time of use of the equipment and it was only about 2700 hours of use and only 1 lamp reset. Unfortunately I still can not post images or links but I will host and try to post the links without the http:

My base of comparison is with my other Sanyo Z3000 projector that although it is not 100% it generates sharper sources and without these shadows / ghosts that I see in the Panasonic. I also had a Vivitek H1081
From these images it's evident something is wrong with either the projector or source. Years ago whenever I put my PC on the AR100U it never looked like this, the images were sharp with no ringing. Have you looked at the test images built into the AR100U? Page 70 of the owner's manual, there 5 test images provided to check alignment, etc. Do they show the same ringing?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1519.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	2054201   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1520.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	262.5 KB
ID:	2054209   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1521.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	2054217  

post #256 of 269 Old 03-28-2017, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Found a few places with what appears to be OEM bulbs for under $300
http://www.projectorlamps.com/panaso...OhMaAiy38P8HAQ

Thoughts?
The Genuine Original Ushio Bulb Inside is a red flag to me. OEM lamps never talk about the bulb inside, just that it's a genuine Panasonic lamp.

post #257 of 269 Old 03-28-2017, 08:43 AM

Quote:
From these images it's evident something is wrong with either the projector or source. Years ago whenever I put my PC on the AR100U it never looked like this, the images were sharp with no ringing. Have you looked at the test images built into the AR100U? Page 70 of the owner's manual, there 5 test images provided to check alignment, etc. Do they show the same ringing?

I do not remember if the test images looked so bad, I'll test again today and notice the result. I also want to test the projector through the VGA input, I currently use HDMi as the source.

Regarding the replacement of the bulbs that are discussing here, my opinion is that there is the alternative of buying (China) They are cheaper products but availability is higher. For those who use this projector in ECO, I do not think there will be loss in quality with lighting.
post #258 of 269 Old 03-28-2017, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I do not remember if the test images looked so bad, I'll test again today and notice the result. I also want to test the projector through the VGA input, I currently use HDMi as the source.

Regarding the replacement of the bulbs that are discussing here, my opinion is that there is the alternative of buying (China) They are cheaper products but availability is higher. For those who use this projector in ECO, I do not think there will be loss in quality with lighting.
They are cheaper for a reason...lack of QC. The red-rich lamp for the AR100U has a particular bulb and I would not be comfortable buying something that could ruin the projector. I've read reviews of generic replacements where the connector has melted where the lamp module plugs into the projector making extraction difficult if not impossible. There is a definite difference in light output regardless of whether it's in ECO or regular mode.

post #259 of 269 Old 03-28-2017, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Found a few places with what appears to be OEM bulbs for under $300.

Thoughts?
Steven, I have found 2 other places where I would be comfortable buying OEM lamps.

AGI - a merchant for projectors and HDTV's. Sells many other AV products.

http://www.audiogeneral.com/store/pr...view/6200-2072

Focused Technology - also sells many other things in addition to lamps.

http://www.focusedtechnology.com/pan...-etlaa110.html

But even here prices are closer to $338.

post #260 of 269 Old 03-29-2017, 04:52 PM

Yesterday I was able to do some tests with VGA cable. But they were not so satisfactory.
I got the same image problems , but I noticed that in 720p was not bad, only when I put 1080p was remarkable the problems in the alignment of the letters.
I took some pictures showing how it is in 720p , I also tested in another notebook, and several frequencies 60hz, 24hz, 50hz. They all had the same problems.

720p

post #261 of 269 Old 03-30-2017, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yesterday I was able to do some tests with VGA cable. But they were not so satisfactory. I got the same image problems, but I noticed that in 720p was not bad, only when I put 1080p was remarkable the problems in the alignment of the letters. I took some pictures showing how it is in 720p , I also tested in another notebook, and several frequencies 60hz, 24hz, 50hz. They all had the same problems.
You don't mention whether you looked at the built-in test images on AR100U. If the test image with the grid pattern shows the same problem (ie. the red, green and blue lines don't overlap each other perfectly) then it's clearly out of alignment and only a trip to the repair shop will correct this problem.

post #262 of 269 Old 03-30-2017, 05:01 PM

Quote:
You don't mention whether you looked at the built-in test images on AR100U. If the test image with the grid pattern shows the same problem (ie. the red, green and blue lines don't overlap each other perfectly) then it's clearly out of alignment and only a trip to the repair shop will correct this problem.

I just forgot to take pictures of these tests but I just did it. I do not know how they should be but for me it looks like they're perfect. I did not notice abnormalities in the pixels, I think they would show something here.

The black part in this photo is just the shadow of my cell phone.
I took the picture very close, so it is possible to notice pixel by pixel and it seems right for me.

post #263 of 269 Old 03-31-2017, 08:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I just forgot to take pictures of these tests but I just did it. I do not know how they should be but for me it looks like they're perfect. I did not notice abnormalities in the pixels, I think they would show something here.

Not sure about this picture of the grid test pattern. Is it your cellphone camera that gives a green tint?

The grid should display a white grid where the red, green and blue panels are in perfect or near perfect alignment. On my projector the grid lines are off by maybe 1/2 pixel at the most so the grid lines are white for the most part.

Here are images I found on Google showing misconvergence and close to perfect alignment.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/attach...1&d=1490974868

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/attach...1&d=1490974868
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	misconvergence.jpg
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	2059601   Click image for larger version

Name:	near-convergence.jpg
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	2059617  

post #264 of 269 Old 03-31-2017, 05:51 PM

Very strange. The colors of the projector are normal as you can see in one of the tests that I showed the photo. But on this grid the color is totally Green, it's nothing cell phone. The curious thing is that I do not see other colors in this test, only the green color, you can zoom in on the image and you will only see the color green.

Are you comparing with your projector or just with the photos from the internet?
post #265 of 269 Old 04-01-2017, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Very strange. The colors of the projector are normal as you can see in one of the tests that I showed the photo. But on this grid the color is totally Green, it's nothing cell phone. The curious thing is that I do not see other colors in this test, only the green color, you can zoom in on the image and you will only see the color green.

Are you comparing with your projector or just with the photos from the internet?
I would suggest you return all the settings on your (previously owned) projector to their default values before you do anything else.

Go to page 34 in the owner's manual where the process is described.

My test grid looks close to this one but I will recheck tonight.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	near-convergence.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	2061585  

post #266 of 269 Old Yesterday, 04:43 AM

Quote:
I would suggest you return all the settings on your (previously owned) projector to their default values before you do anything else.

Go to page 34 in the owner's manual where the process is described.

My test grid looks close to this one but I will recheck tonight.

That was the first thing I did when I got the projector. Yesterday I went to watch a movie so I decided to make some more adjustments since I was beginning to see when there was still sun. I discovered that when I set the Sharpness to 0, it completely disappeared the outlines of the letters as I had shown. I made some adjustments in the focus of the lens to get a bit sharp and it got better. I still do not believe it's the full potential of the projector but it was better than the conditions it was.

As I do not intend to spend sending a projector for maintenance "I've had unpleasant budgets with a PT-AE7000 that I recently sent" I just found a very good offer on a Sanyo Z-4000 so I preferred to spend buying another one than sending a projector for maintenance again. I currently have about 4 projectors rsrs
post #267 of 269 Old Yesterday, 05:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That was the first thing I did when I got the projector. Yesterday I went to watch a movie so I decided to make some more adjustments since I was beginning to see when there was still sun. I discovered that when I set the Sharpness to 0, it completely disappeared the outlines of the letters as I had shown. I made some adjustments in the focus of the lens to get a bit sharp and it got better. I still do not believe it's the full potential of the projector but it was better than the conditions it was.

As I do not intend to spend sending a projector for maintenance "I've had unpleasant budgets with a PT-AE7000 that I recently sent" I just found a very good offer on a Sanyo Z-4000 so I preferred to spend buying another one than sending a projector for maintenance again. I currently have about 4 projectors rsrs
I apologize for mis-remembering the color of the grid - it is green as you had in your photo. I usually use the free AVS Calibration disc to adjust my projector and one of the grids I use is white where one can tell how the LCD panels line up.

The ringing on the figures you originally submitted was probably as you describe an over-sharpening in the settings. Because there is no universal reset on the AR100U one has to reset every element separately. I'm glad to hear you've improved the picture.

post #268 of 269 Old Yesterday, 08:59 AM

I feel more comfortable knowing that the test was the right color. Thank you very much for your help and helpfulness with my problem. As soon as I receive the Sanyo Z4000 I can have other opinions and comparisons between these great devices. I am also anxious to get the JVC HD750 to work, I am waiting for the new light bulb to be tested.
post #269 of 269 Old Today, 05:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is the so sonyo a good buy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page