Mitsubishi HC7800D vs HC4000 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-14-2012, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am considering getting another projector after not having one for years.

From what I have read, the Mitsubishi HC4000 is a favorite among users around here. It looks like a few new Mitsubishi projectors were recently released, and so you can get a deal on the slightly older HC7800D.

The HC4000 is around $1100 right now and the HC7800D can be found around $1700.

Is there a huge difference in quality between these two projectors?

Should I wait until Black Friday? Seems like there are usually not too many deals on projectors as I was keeping my eye out last year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-14-2012, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 147
They are similar but according to some reports, the Mits hc4000 actually has higher Native On/Off, but the hc7800 has higher contrast overall due to the IRIS (but some hated the IRIS on the hc7800).
The hc7800 might be slightly sharper, but overall in 2D they should be similar other than the IRIS difference and the fact that the hc7800 also has frame interpolation (because it is 120hz vs 60hz on the hc4000). Oh and the hc7800 will be a bit brighter.

If you are not into 3D, I'd probably save the money and just get the hc4000, but if your main area of interest is contrast and black levels then I might look somewhere else entirely (just depends). However, if going purely by PQ and not by black levels, you can't really lose on the hc4000 or hc7800 for 2D is my thinking.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

**Current Projector Calculator** --

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --

post #3 of 5 Old 09-14-2012, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the advice. I don't think I will be picky about PQ vs black levels. I'm pretty easy to please. Just want a well reviewed projector and I like getting a great deal and would be willing to spend up to $1500-$1750 on the right projector.

Any other projectors that would be a good value in that price range?
post #4 of 5 Old 09-14-2012, 10:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 147
The B-stock JVC's would produce a better image for movies, but not be as good for TV or general viewing (also JVC is not as good for streaming Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, etc...).
The B-stock JVC's are not often available, but sometimes AVS (the forum sponsor) has some in stock. The JVC beats these projectors for things like watching a movie from a Bluray.

Another option would be the Epson 8700ub refurbs (or 8500ub refurb), but this one is more of a mixed bag and I think I would probably stick with the Mits hc7800 over the Epson unless you are more into dark movies and black levels.

for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
-

**Current Projector Calculator** --

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --

post #5 of 5 Old 09-15-2012, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

They are similar but according to some reports, the Mits hc4000 actually has higher Native On/Off, but the hc7800 has higher contrast overall due to the IRIS (but some hated the IRIS on the hc7800).
The hc7800 might be slightly sharper, but overall in 2D they should be similar other than the IRIS difference and the fact that the hc7800 also has frame interpolation (because it is 120hz vs 60hz on the hc4000). Oh and the hc7800 will be a bit brighter.
If you are not into 3D, I'd probably save the money and just get the hc4000, but if your main area of interest is contrast and black levels then I might look somewhere else entirely (just depends). However, if going purely by PQ and not by black levels, you can't really lose on the hc4000 or hc7800 for 2D is my thinking.

The auto iris is a complete garbage,at least from my point of view,I find it useless(maybe something wrong with mine).
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page