Is this true about eh viewsonic pro8200? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 09-14-2012, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 25
This is a review that I saw on newegg. It talks about pixel mapping and how it will not do 1:1. Now is this true? and if its not true is that a big issue? And why would it not do it if it does not. And just so I understand, 1:1 pixel mapping is when what is shown is exactly what is received from the source, and is shown what is received.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-14-2012, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Yes, it is true. There is a minor loss in sharpness which can be seen in Bluray material or very sharp reference level material, as well as a slight difference in how tight the projector can focus in HTPC. That said, many people put up with LCD projectors and only a few LCD PJ's have as tight of a focus or are as sharp as the Pro8200 (even though the Pro8200 has the pixel mapping issue).

I did the test here comparing the Pro8200's pixel mapping to a $3000 JVC (which is as sharp as some DLP's):
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1298652/viewsonic-pro8200-it-exists/600#post_22109545

Keep in mind that test was blown up 10x bigger than what the naked eye sees, so my conclusion was here:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1298652/viewsonic-pro8200-it-exists/630#post_22126394

So the answer is hard to give one way or another, it depends how picky you are, for most viewing the difference is not noticeable, but there are sharper projectors but you have to spend more money. The Mits hc4000 is a little sharper (but it has a focus uniformity issue which means in HTPC usage the difference is minimal, the Mits is a tad sharper for VIDEO though - hard to explain). As far as the Pro8200 sharpness vs. the Optoma hd20, it's darn near a tie because the Pro8200 again has better focus uniformity even though the hd20 does do better pixel mapping. The Pro8200 is still sharper than the older LCD's I owned (Sanyo's and older Epsons), if that helps...

The Pro8200 is about equal to an Epson 5010 LCD in sharpness (they are close), depending on convergence luck. The Benq w6000 DLP would however be a semi-significant step up in sharpness from this point if you are willing to spend more money, whereas the hc4000 would be an incremental step up. I do not know of any other projectors in the Pro8200's immediate price range (within $200) that are 1080p and that are sharper (there may be a couple, I just am not certain).

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #3 of 6 Old 09-16-2012, 09:43 AM

Liked: 10
yeah, i think so , it is true. There is a minor loss in sharpness which can be seen in Bluray material or very sharp reference level material. thank you, 91.jpgsmile.gif
post #4 of 6 Old 09-16-2012, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Here are the test results:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1382091/jvc-rs-45-sony-hw30-benq-w7000-epson-5010-mini-shootout/2820#post_22170462

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1382091/jvc-rs-45-sony-hw30-benq-w7000-epson-5010-mini-shootout/2820#post_22169984

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1382091/jvc-rs-45-sony-hw30-benq-w7000-epson-5010-mini-shootout/2820#post_22170151

The star'd pixel grid is what makes the pixel mapping more visible (if you look at zombie's first and second shot). Now look at the Viewsonic's second shot, the grid should be dots and not stars, but it has the star effect, it's due to a pixel mapping failure.

Both Zombie and I used the same pattern from the AVS Rec709 test disk. You will notice the Viewsonic looks like the first pre-1.03 Benq test (failed pixel mapping), whereas the fixed Benq has clean dots unlike the Viewsonic.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #5 of 6 Old 09-17-2012, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 25
What happen to all the replies on this topic? They were very informative and I learned alot. So why did you guys delete your back and forth?
post #6 of 6 Old 09-17-2012, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Because of my bad manners, I said things in the heat of the moment, I later regretted. Coderguy was kind enough to accept my suggestion to delete our posts that were not adding to topic. And for that I thank him.
My point was, Art F. reviewer from ProjectorReviews.com seemed to think the pro8200 was good in the sharpness comparisons he did. You can read it for yourself if you want. And Coderguy seemed to feel that although Art. F is a fine reviewer, sometimes has to rush out reviews and not examine them enough. Coderguy has more experience with the pro8200 than Art. F. , and I agree.
I still think , as does Coderguy, that the pro8200 is a sharp PJ in this price point, and I also agree, if the pixel mapping issue was fixed with firmware, the pro8200 would be even sharper than it is , possibly the sharpest of any of them. biggrin.gif
We both agree, you shouldn't not buy the pro8200 ONLY because of the pixel mapping issue, there may be other reasons not to buy it, but sharpness shouldn't be one of them. I have good sharpness on my pro8200 and I use it as my PC screen, across the whole page, top to bottom, left to right.
Maybe someone can call viewsonic to see if they did fix the pixel mapping issue, because firmware fixed other models that had this problem. Now, Coderguy did buy a refurb with very early firmware on it, also one of the earliest production runs of the pro8200, he doesn't know and either do I , if viewsonic did fix the problem, so when I checked mine, it seemed fine to me , I had nov 2011 build date , Coderguy already bought his refurb maybe 9 months or so before I bought my NEW pro8200. Maybe if someone who just bought the pro8200 the last few months can tell us if the problem is fixed , because the problem could have been fixed already, don't know, call viewsonic and find out if and when they fixed this issue, via firmware.
Now the thing that does suck, is you have to send the pro8200 into repair center to get updated firmware, and I could do it because I have 3 year warranty, but if you bought refurb with only 30 or 90 days warranty, I"m not sure you could do that. The thing that pisses us pro8200 owners is , there is a usb port on the back of your pro8200's units that is for updating the firmware and viewsonic will not let us do that. That sucks. Now, I think after January of 2012, if you buy new unit, they do let viewsonic PJ's update via home use. Don't quote me on that, but I do remember reading that a number of months ago.
There aren't any reported problems with the pro8200 that I know of, but if you read the pro8200 forum, earlier in thread, a few years ago, people reported problems with the firmware that was later fixed. Hope that helps. Again, we just don't know if pixel mapping has been fixed or not, because nobody called viewsonic or did the new test on brand new machine. Coderguy can correct me if he knows more about this than I know.
It would be kind of funny if my model didn't have the problem because of firmware fix, and Coderguy did have the problem, and the two of us were both going at it the last few months over this issue. But, again I don't know, I could have the problem, for all I know, but, doesn't bother me on my pro8200.
Peace.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Viewsonic Pro8200 Dlp Projector
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page