Best projector for ceiling height? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 09-16-2012, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm trying to set up a theatre room and could use some opinions on what projector may work best for me based on my lower ceiling height. The available room is 9’7”W, 18’8”L, 6’9”H with complete isolation from light.

I’m working within a $1000-$1400 budget and was looking at the Optoma HD33 but am having a hard time pulling the trigger based on my lack of knowledge on all of the variables that would be affected by my room (light output, throw, etc…). Just don’t want to bring something home to find out it’s not a good fit (too bright, positioning nightmare, can't get screen size because of the ceiling height.....Hoping to at least 80"), etc.....Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-16-2012, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Well I'll name some favorites:

The Epson 8700ub or 8500ub refurbished if you want better black levels for movies, the Benq w6000 refurb (if it is available, or new isnt that much more).
The Epson 8350 new or refurb will also work.

I would think you can cram a 106" screen in there at the most, easily 92" unless I am missing something (side speakers or something).
Your ceiling height will NOT be an issue unless you are stuck on the DLP's (but the Benq w6000 DLP will even work fine in this room).

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #3 of 6 Old 09-16-2012, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
8700ub if referb is OK 8350 if you want new.
post #4 of 6 Old 09-17-2012, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I'm liking the reviews on both the 8350 and 8700UB but I primarily watch movies and think the UB may be the better fit for me based on black levels. I was hoping to take advantage of Ebay's Bill Me Later program and get interest free for 18 months but I'm only seeing used (not refurbished) on the UB. Would you even consider buying a used one? Already has 800 hrs on the bulb but it comes with a new one included.

I'm not aware of anywhere local that has a setup that I can look at and have no experience with projector systems so its possible that I'd be completely satisfied with the 8350. Based on the reviews and the side by side black levels I saw I'm leaning towards the 8700 though. Being that I can't afford to purchase a screen at this time I'm assuming the better projector and black levels would help me in getting a little better picture against a painted wall?
post #5 of 6 Old 09-17-2012, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Just ordered the 8700UB smile.gif Would like to thank you again for putting me on track.....There's an overwhelming amount of informaiton on this forum and I've got a lot to learn eek.gif
post #6 of 6 Old 09-17-2012, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

Just ordered the 8700UB smile.gif Would like to thank you again for putting me on track.....There is an overwhelming amount of informaiton on this forum and I've got a lot to learn eek.gif
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page