Projector recomendation: Optoma hd33 vs Epson 3010 vs Acer H9500BD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 09-18-2012, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi Guys,

My research shows that these are the best 3 projectors that do 3d and are under $2,000. My question is what would you go with if the application is going to be for movies only in 2.35:1. I'm going to be using it to watch movies on a CIH screen and I plan to zoom the lens and keep it that way so that it would fit the screen. Can anyone recommend which one of these projectors will be a good bet for CIH where the black bars arent too noticeable? And I heard great things about the 3D on them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-18-2012, 02:23 PM

Liked: 13
Likely won't go wrong with any choice. If you played games the input lag of the 3010 would be a issue but for movies alone it is a performer. DLP is the only tech doing 3D ghost free but the Epson 3010 does a good job. Some time's a BenQ W7000 is found under $2k is basicly the same as the H9500BD but has more user made presets. The H9500BD has preset's but once any are changed it is the user preset and you only get one user set. Not a big deal if you calibrate and leave it.
Tiger has a great deal on the H9500BD right now on refurbs and I am guessing that they are new units that were sent back to have the firmware updated.
post #3 of 10 Old 09-18-2012, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 147
After some recent measuring data, the Benq w7000 would appear to have been confirmed to be much brighter than the Acer 9500bd for 3D modes, whereas the Acer 9500bd might be better at 2D movies (higher contrast image). They both should be pretty sharp as long as you get the latest firmware since both had their pixel mapping issues fixed. Even for a 100" screen, the Acer could benefit from some gain in 3D mode (say at least 1.5 gain).

It seems the Acer 9500bd will do about 700-800 lumens in 3D mode, whereas the Benq w7000 will do about 1000-1100 on a new lamp. Those numbers are of course before you put the glasses on so you gotta think in terms of losing 70%+ of the brightness after the 3D glasses.
Also, the Benq w7000 has center-based lens shift from the center of the screen, which means you can mount it anywhere between the top and bottom of the screen (or even a couple inches with the lens above or below for larger screens). This can be important because the w7000 is more compatible with a retro-reflective screen like a Da-Lite High Power, because you can mount the PJ closer to the viewing angle to get added gain.

So if using an HP screen, the Benq could easily be 2x or even 3x brighter than the Acer in 3D mode, if not using it wouldn't be as much difference, but still some since the standard brightness is better with the Benq. Again though, the Acer has the better black levels from the limited number of measurements we have on the Acer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

**Current Projector Calculator** --

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --

post #4 of 10 Old 09-18-2012, 03:23 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
It seems the Acer 9500bd will do about 700-800 lumens in 3D mode, whereas the Benq w7000 will do about 1000-1100 on a new lamp.

And HD33?
post #5 of 10 Old 09-18-2012, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm unsure about the hd33's brightness in 3D mode, when I tried to get measurements from people in the HD33 thread, people gave me a LOT of conflicting measurements. I know the brightness in 2D mode is very good, let's just say the hd33 should be around 800-1100 is about the best I can give you in 3D, sorry.

If I had to guess, 900-1000 might be a safer guess, or just read the reviews, but one issue with some of the reviews is that pre-engineering samples on Optomas do tend to have less brightness than the final revision purchased by users, so that causes an issue as well.

Edited:
In the Projector Central review, he notes that the Optoma hd33 seems to allow you to change PRESETS even when in 3D mode to a brighter PRESET. If that were true, and we plugin Art's numbers (and not PJC, because IMHO PJC numbers were too low most likely due to some hours on the lamp or lamp variance), but let's say we plug-in Art's numbers, then the hd33 could potentially do 1200+ lumens in 3D. However, the problem becomes this does not match what some other reviewers claim which is that the preset is fixed. To make it more confusing, PJC and projectorreviews.com have very different lumen measurements (10% - 20%). One thing is for certain, the Optoma hd33 is not as bright as the MFR specs claim. Then when I asked users to provide measurements, I got more measurements for the hd3300 (a slightly different version of the projector) and almost none for the hd33. So this is one of the projectors I got stuck out in left field when it came to 3D measurements.

You might ask this question in the hd33 thread (can the brightest preset modes be used in 3D mode or is 3D mode locked?)...

-

post #6 of 10 Old 09-18-2012, 03:38 PM

Liked: 16
coderguy

Actually I saw HD300x in 3D, and to my eyes there was ablosultely no lack in brighness. But I'm thinking now about Acer H9500BD because of supposedly better blacks. I'm afraid it may be dimmier in 3D too.
post #7 of 10 Old 09-18-2012, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

The Acer will be a little dimmer in 3D mode most likely. We cannot very easily judge brightness by our eyes however, you need a light meter for that. That said, if you seemed satisfied with what you were seeing, then it would be a good indicator it might satisfy you after the purchase.

The Acer does have darker blacks than both of these projectors.

The Acer however can be used with a Da-Lite HP screen but not as precisely as the Benq can (Benq gets more gain), and depending how low you like your screen mounted, you may be able to squeeze about 1.5 gain from a Da-Lite HP screen (or you could try one of the non-retro reflective 1.6+ gain screens, but they might hot spot a little).

-

post #8 of 10 Old 09-18-2012, 04:19 PM

Liked: 13
I run a 100" diag screen and do 3D in eco mode and is plenty bright. Some run 120" and no complaints on brightness. Thinking I would run it in full mode for 3D if running a 120" screen with the Acer. I believe the 3010 is the brightest of all these but could be wrong. Of course if lens shift is needed the W7000 and H9500BD are your only options under $2k capable of HDMI 1.4a 3D. Unless of course there are great deals on the Epson 5010 or Sony HW30.
post #9 of 10 Old 09-18-2012, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Any more feedback on the epson?
post #10 of 10 Old 10-29-2012, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by man4mopar View Post

I run a 100" diag screen and do 3D in eco mode and is plenty bright. Some run 120" and no complaints on brightness. Thinking I would run it in full mode for 3D if running a 120" screen with the Acer. I believe the 3010 is the brightest of all these but could be wrong. Of course if lens shift is needed the W7000 and H9500BD are your only options under $2k capable of HDMI 1.4a 3D. Unless of course there are great deals on the Epson 5010 or Sony HW30.

Yeah.....I have a 120" 1.1 gain screen and have no complaints about brightness in 3D (eco mode/brilliant color off). I'm at about 14" from the screen and in a light controlled environment. In 2D I can have overhead lighting on a dimmer without too much effect on brightness.

Home Theater: Acer H9500BD 3D Projector, 120" Elite Screen, Sony BDP-S780 3D Blu-Ray Player, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround

Family Room: Mitsubishi 73" 3D DLP, Sony BDP-S5100 3D Blu-Ray Player, Harmon Kardon AVR 5.1, Polk Audio 5.1 Surround
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Acer H9500bd 3d 1080p Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page