Projection Setup at a Bar - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 09-19-2012, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi there, I am looking into setting up a projection screen in my bar. The space has a fair amount of ambient light but the walls, floors, and ceilings will be black. I am on a budget but at the same time don't want to waste my money on an embarrassing setup.

Currently spec'd is the Dell 1610HD projector with the Elite M113S screen. These are both fairly entry level. The projector has 3500lumens of lighting, which I worry might not be enough. I also worry the picture will be terribly mediocre with the ambient light. Is there anything I can do to improve this setup while remaining on a budget? Should I stay with the projector and upgrade the screen? Upgrade the projector and stay with the screen? Upgrade both? Upgrade neither?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-19-2012, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

How about if I upgrade to the Dell 4320 projector with 4,300 lumens and the Da-Lite high power screen with 2.4 gain?
post #3 of 7 Old 09-19-2012, 11:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 139
I wouldn't go with a Dell Projector, I'd instead go with the Benq sh910 or Optoma th1060p if I were going for a DLP in a bar (but I think you should also consider LCD, even though the PQ won't be as good for Sports):

See this article for the DLP comparison: http://www.projectorcentral.com/benq_sh910_optoma_th1060p_projector_review.htm

The Da-Lite High Power screen has a narrow viewing cone and too many people will get less than 1.3 gain unless the viewing area is very narrow and long, so I seriously doubt this will be appropriate for your bar.

These super bright DLP's are going to be 3x color wheels, and a few people are going to see RBE and be annoyed by it I would think. For LCD's, you can get business crossover projectors or some Epsons that can do 3000+ lumens. Keep in mind the ratings dont mean much, generally if it says 4,500 lumens, you will get about 3000 to 4000 lumens in a watchable torch mode and maybe 2000 lumens in calibrated mode.

As far as the screen, depends on how big you are going with it, I'd do at least 1.5 gain and then surround the screen with an overhang or build a small platform around it to counter ambient light (if you can). You might also consider building the screen yourself and using DIY paints (it isn't that hard), then you have a better choice of paint mixings to get the exact gain uniformity you need.

If you go to certain Bass Pro Shops, go look at their video games in the back that are hooked to a projector, they took this to the extreme and built it inside its own area. Now I don't mean to that extreme, I just mean a basic frame to block SOME direct light from hitting the screen. You can essentially create a shade effect over the screen to increase contrast.

I would probably try to find a uniform gain screen in the range of 1.5 to 3.0, depending on various factors (how far will screen be from projector so how bad is hotspotting, etc...).

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #4 of 7 Old 09-19-2012, 11:20 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. The TH1060P seems like a good option and I found one at a reasonable price. Would this be good for showing sports and movies?

Also, is there a screen you would recommend? I would prefer to buy one rather than make one but would like to keep it under $500. I am looking for 16:9 with 92" diagonal.
post #5 of 7 Old 09-19-2012, 11:45 PM - Thread Starter

Or perhaps maybe the ViewSonic Pro8400 or the Benq SP840? The pricing I have found is all pretty comparable.
post #6 of 7 Old 09-20-2012, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
Smoking in the bar allowed? Might be a consideration in deciding between the lcd or dlp models?
post #7 of 7 Old 09-21-2012, 12:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by masters2010 View Post

Thanks for the reply. The TH1060P seems like a good option and I found one at a reasonable price. Would this be good for showing sports and movies?
Also, is there a screen you would recommend? I would prefer to buy one rather than make one but would like to keep it under $500. I am looking for 16:9 with 92" diagonal.

Yes, good for both Sports and movies. The Pro8400 is not going to be as bright, and I would get a projector as BRIGHT as possible for the money due to lamp dimming combined with ambient light (even at 92").
Many projectors will be bright enough the first 500-1000 hours, then dwindle off and you'll be buying lamps too often (and in a 12+ hour usage you might consider your lamp costs could be considerable, over a thousand per year if not careful).
Also ignore lamp rating specs, they mean nothing (if lamp claims 5000 hours or 2000 hours, generally means zilch, could mean something, but not usually).

I don't know how much ambient light you have, but I am assuming less than a well lit office with overhead lights...

I cannot recommend a specific screen in that price range,but if you can find a positive gain gray screen with a WIDE viewing cone (or any contrast enhancing material with a wide viewing cone) in that price range, that is what I would buy, 1.5+ gain would be great and should be plenty for that bright of a projector even with lights on. I do not remember the usual gain viewing cone of Positive Gain Grey screens, so check it when you look at the different materials (might want to ask in the screen forums). Keep in mind if the room is actually kind of dark, the projector might be too bright, but you can buy a $50 ND filter for that to tame it until the lamp wears in.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page