Projector for my xbox - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 09-20-2012, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys,
I know I am new here but however I already tried searching the forums and still could not find the answer I was looking for. I am looking for a HD (720p native is perfect) projector with a quick refresh rate so no xbox game lag. So far these are what I've seen. What would be your top pick out of these? Optoma HD66, Epson EX5210, Optoma GT700, or Viewsonic PJD 5133. If you know of something better let me know. I am willing to pay up to about $650.
Thanks in advance
-Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 09-21-2012, 09:26 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeman117 View Post

Hey guys,
I know I am new here but however I already tried searching the forums and still could not find the answer I was looking for. I am looking for a HD (720p native is perfect) projector with a quick refresh rate so no xbox game lag. So far these are what I've seen. What would be your top pick out of these? Optoma HD66, Epson EX5210, Optoma GT700, or Viewsonic PJD 5133. If you know of something better let me know. I am willing to pay up to about $650.
Thanks in advance
-Mike

I would consider an Epson Refurbished projector from their Clearance Center. I recently purchased an Epson MovieMate 62 for $389.00 (http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&sku=V11H411020-N) their refurbished projectors come with the same as new 2-year warranty. It's resolution is 960x540 (540p) but it looks spectacular playing 360, watching Blu-Ray movies, OTA HD TV, etc. If you want to spend a little bit more you can go for the 720p 705HD for $439.00 (http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&sku=V11H331020-N#2)
post #3 of 20 Old 09-21-2012, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdb4133 View Post

I would consider an Epson Refurbished projector from their Clearance Center. I recently purchased an Epson MovieMate 62 for $389.00 (http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&sku=V11H411020-N) their refurbished projectors come with the same as new 2-year warranty. It's resolution is 960x540 (540p) but it looks spectacular playing 360, watching Blu-Ray movies, OTA HD TV, etc. If you want to spend a little bit more you can go for the 720p 705HD for $439.00 (http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&sku=V11H331020-N#2)

Thanks for you time man, seriously appreciate it. How does the 705HD compare to the OptomaHD66 for gaming. I still can't decide on DLP or LCD.
post #4 of 20 Old 09-21-2012, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
In general, fast motion FPS type games, DLP will have less lag. Some dlp models my introduce a "rainbow" effect while viewing, because of how the color wheel tech works. If your not susceptible to rainbows, a dlp might be better overall. There are several threads on gaming lag if you search for 'em explaining some differences.
post #5 of 20 Old 09-21-2012, 06:03 PM

Liked: 13
DLP pixel speed is far faster then LCD. This translates to far less chance of ghost/pixilated image around fast moving images. Some of the higher performing LCD's are in the 2ms pixel speeds DLP is more like .2ms . DLP's though in the price range your likely looking in have 3x color wheels and are more likely to show rainbow effect. I have never ran into someone seeing what is called RBE effect but have read of many on these forums.
Input lag is different then pixel speed lag and is the effected time of console or pc input to projector and image. This is more important with FPS or any game needing quick reaction to what is on the screen in a competitive game like FPS as example. Not sure what the input lag times are on the cheaper mentioned LCD's but the Optoma GT700 and GT750 are tested at 0ms against a CRT. Acer makes a H5360 that is around the same. It is hard to find input lag times on displays manufacture's do not post the testing results.That said some internet searches will find testing done against laptop screen's they are LCD's and will have some input lag so the number is the difference plus the unknown laptop lag. If tested against a CRT the lag tested is more accurate to amount of lag present. Competitive FPS players preffer input lag times below 16ms.

If I was looking for a gaming projector I would get a GT750 for the HDMI 1.4a 3D capable performance. If only interested in 2D I would look at a GT700 or the H5360. That said I know little of some of the projectors you listed.
post #6 of 20 Old 09-21-2012, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by man4mopar View Post

DLP pixel speed is far faster then LCD. This translates to far less chance of ghost/pixilated image around fast moving images. Some of the higher performing LCD's are in the 2ms pixel speeds DLP is more like .2ms . DLP's though in the price range your likely looking in have 3x color wheels and are more likely to show rainbow effect. I have never ran into someone seeing what is called RBE effect but have read of many on these forums.
Input lag is different then pixel speed lag and is the effected time of console or pc input to projector and image. This is more important with FPS or any game needing quick reaction to what is on the screen in a competitive game like FPS as example. Not sure what the input lag times are on the cheaper mentioned LCD's but the Optoma GT700 and GT750 are tested at 0ms against a CRT. Acer makes a H5360 that is around the same. It is hard to find input lag times on displays manufacture's do not post the testing results.That said some internet searches will find testing done against laptop screen's they are LCD's and will have some input lag so the number is the difference plus the unknown laptop lag. If tested against a CRT the lag tested is more accurate to amount of lag present. Competitive FPS players preffer input lag times below 16ms.
If I was looking for a gaming projector I would get a GT750 for the HDMI 1.4a 3D capable performance. If only interested in 2D I would look at a GT700 or the H5360. That said I know little of some of the projectors you listed.

Thanks so much man. Would the GT700 have as good a picture as the Hd66? They are both DLP and 720p.
post #7 of 20 Old 09-22-2012, 05:48 AM

Liked: 11
I've had a lg hx300g for a year and a half and it has been connected up to my xbox all that time and I have not noticed any lag, I have played streetfighter 4 and halo reach with it and I was really into streetfighter so I would have noticed the lag if there was alot .The xbox will use the native res of 1024*768 so with some games (halo) it will be full screen unlike the ps3 which only has a choice of 720 or 1080p. I have it in my bedroom on a 80 inch screen made out of blackout cloth, works great. I sit about 7 feet away from it and when I first played halo fullscreen I got a bit of motion sickness because of being it being so large , but now I am used to the size. forgot to mention its led and a 20000 lamp life so i use it as you would a normal tv , there is a large thread on it on this forum, if not that one there are other , newer led dlp projectors for sale
post #8 of 20 Old 09-22-2012, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter

thank man but ^ that one isn't HD. My biggest concern is finding a good HD picture projector without game lag, As I will be playing Halo 4 when it comes out.
post #9 of 20 Old 09-22-2012, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
You might need to tell us what type of room you are in, size and if it's a batcave, or if there could be light coming into the room?

You have been given good suggestions. You say you want high def. and say 720p would be fine, but I imagine 1080p would work too, if at right price.
Your budget is around 650 dollars.

Doesn't sound like you need 3d, you never mentioned it.

Yeah, you need low lag as you are aware.

Now, I got a question for you, are you gonna be gaming next year too, because the NEW consoles will being coming out pretty soon, and they will be in 1080p.
Some of us got the viewsonic pro8200, because it is cheapest 1080p PJ, that has low lag for gaming. It is regular throw PJ, not short throw. It's is bright, sharp, long bulb life, 3 year warranty, has internal speakers 20watts (10x2). Now it could be in your price range of 650, if it goes on sale. I picked up mine 9 months ago NEW for 659 from newegg. When not on sale it's 799. Over the last couple of months it's been on sale to around 700 dollars a few times.
If you get optoma think about getting square trades or best buy extended warranty because it only has 1 year warranty/90 days on bulb, and a number of people in amazon reviews seem to say after 1 year things things went wrong with the PJ, white spots, and other issues.. Not everybody complained, but enough to concern me, but with extended warranty, you would be covered. If you get the pro8200 it does have 3 year warranty, so you don't need the extended warranty. Best Buy extended warranty for 4 years is 199 dollars.
I do like playing battlefield 3 on the pro8200, with 100 inch screen. I can make out detail that is hard to see on 42inch hdtv.
Once you are willing to spend over 1,000 dollars that would open you to other 1080p PJ's. I only mentioned the viewsonic pro8200, because it's the cheapest 1080p, that also is good for gaming, and watching other stuff, that got good pro reviews and user reviews. The 720p PJ's that were listed would be the best of the 720p PJ's.
Have fun researching.
post #10 of 20 Old 09-22-2012, 08:25 AM

missed it by 4 minutes. viewsonic 8200. 1080p matters. i have the 8100 btw... i see RBE on every DLP but i hear the 8200 is better for this so i'm tempted to try it. DLP has no convergence issues and better pixel fill (no screen door) your budget is close enough... if the 8200 fits your placement requirements, and you aren;t RBE challeneged, wait for sale (or not) i think you'll be happy. 720p might leave you with the "i wish the image was sharper and less pixelated" feeling.

btw i have the acer h5360 too. it's a nice small, bright, 3-D projector i use for travel and outdoor.. but it's a budget projector and it shows.
post #11 of 20 Old 09-22-2012, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgtaa View Post

You might need to tell us what type of room you are in, size and if it's a batcave, or if there could be light coming into the room?
You have been given good suggestions. You say you want high def. and say 720p would be fine, but I imagine 1080p would work too, if at right price.
Your budget is around 650 dollars.
Doesn't sound like you need 3d, you never mentioned it.
Yeah, you need low lag as you are aware.
Now, I got a question for you, are you gonna be gaming next year too, because the NEW consoles will being coming out pretty soon, and they will be in 1080p.
Some of us got the viewsonic pro8200, because it is cheapest 1080p PJ, that has low lag for gaming. It is regular throw PJ, not short throw. It's is bright, sharp, long bulb life, 3 year warranty, has internal speakers 20watts (10x2). Now it could be in your price range of 650, if it goes on sale. I picked up mine 9 months ago NEW for 659 from newegg. When not on sale it's 799. Over the last couple of months it's been on sale to around 700 dollars a few times.
If you get optoma think about getting square trades or best buy extended warranty because it only has 1 year warranty/90 days on bulb, and a number of people in amazon reviews seem to say after 1 year things things went wrong with the PJ, white spots, and other issues.. Not everybody complained, but enough to concern me, but with extended warranty, you would be covered. If you get the pro8200 it does have 3 year warranty, so you don't need the extended warranty. Best Buy extended warranty for 4 years is 199 dollars.
I do like playing battlefield 3 on the pro8200, with 100 inch screen. I can make out detail that is hard to see on 42inch hdtv.
Once you are willing to spend over 1,000 dollars that would open you to other 1080p PJ's. I only mentioned the viewsonic pro8200, because it's the cheapest 1080p, that also is good for gaming, and watching other stuff, that got good pro reviews and user reviews. The 720p PJ's that were listed would be the best of the 720p PJ's.
Have fun researching.

wow awesome post man. I will be in my dorm room which is pretty big for a dorm room. It's 17'x17'. The lighting can become a batcave as I do have shades the work great. What would you recommend for a 720p projector with minimal gaming lag for me? As the pro8200 is a bit out of my price range. Thank a load man.
post #12 of 20 Old 09-22-2012, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Optoma gt750, but the Benq w710st throws a better image (it might have lag though, not sure).

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #13 of 20 Old 09-23-2012, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter

After a night of researching I may just bite the bullet and go with the pro8200. The only thing that concerns me is if i buy a used one (because I hate the idea of blowing $800 on a projector, poor college kid). I have found used ones on amazon for around $660. However would a warranty still be included?
post #14 of 20 Old 09-23-2012, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

$660 is not worth buying used, that is over-priced.

I might sell you my Pro8200 for much less, but you might have to wait a bit and I do have an older lamp. If you are really tight on money and want to save a bit, send me a PM and maybe we can work something out, and I did buy an After-Market warranty...
That said, I like to be 100% disclosure, and I would say buying a new unit might be more reliable than buying used like mine.

I was actually close to selling the Pro8200 because I am about to get another PJ in soon enough. I've been planning on selling it for about 6 months, just been waiting for something to come out to replace it.

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #15 of 20 Old 09-23-2012, 10:34 AM

Liked: 12
If you buy a used projector that doesn't come with a new bulb you need to factor that into the price as a new bulb can cost 250-300 bucks.

If you want 3D, I think the cheapest 3D 720p projector is probably the Optoma GT750. The 700 is 3D ready (it doesn't have hdmi 1.4 ports) and would require the purchase of an optoma 3D-XL (or something similar), either that or you'd have to use a computer.

The main issue with this series of projectors is the limited placement as they are short throw with no lens zoom or image shift.

I have the GT750 which I got because it was short throw. It helps with stuff like wii and kinect cause the projector is in front of where you will stand. I also really wanted 3D so decided to forgo 1080p. At your price range you'll just have to determine if 3D or 1080p is more important to you. I also have a 3D plasma tv but a large screen really makes the 3D better and less fatiguing on my eyes.

If you can compare a 720p and 1080p image on a projector at a local store that can help you decide.

post #16 of 20 Old 09-23-2012, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyen78 View Post

If you buy a used projector that doesn't come with a new bulb you need to factor that into the price as a new bulb can cost 250-300 bucks.
I agree, he PM'd me and the price I told him for mine had a significant discount for bulb wear (really I took more off the price for him even than my bulb has aged). If he wants 3D, he definitely does need to look elsewhere as the Pro8200 will not do 3D (just to make that 100% clear).

post #17 of 20 Old 09-23-2012, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

I agree, he PM'd me and the price I told him for mine had a significant discount for bulb wear (really I took more off the price for him even than my bulb has aged). If he wants 3D, he definitely does need to look elsewhere as the Pro8200 will not do 3D (just to make that 100% clear).

The Pro8200 will not do 3D with HDMI 1.4a input's (360, PS3 and 3D BD players), It can do some 3D like anaglyph (red/Blue) like all displays even stereoscopic with added hardware which of course add to the cost significantly.

If 3D gaming is a interest the facts are PS3 and 360 do 3D in 720P so the GT750 and other 720P projectors perform better then the current line of 1080P 3D projectors in rendering. Some one mentioned PS3 and 360 doing 1080P in the next line well they already can and do 1080P output but not in 3D. And with limitation being 24fps per eye in 1080P PC gamers do 720P 60 fps per eye instead.

If gaming is the main use I would lean towards a GT750 if interested in 3D it is around $680 right now or if 2D only likely lean towards the Acer 5360 which can be found for $515. My opinion only with input lag being the best with those two and cost being low.
post #18 of 20 Old 09-23-2012, 06:34 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeman117 View Post

thank man but ^ that one isn't HD. My biggest concern is finding a good HD picture projector without game lag, As I will be playing Halo 4 when it comes out.

The LG PA70G is LED DLP and 1280x800. It is rated at 700 lumens, so at a lower brightness setting it still puts out plenty of light for a 100-110" screen. You can get it at Fry's for $450-500ish on sale.

I haven't gamed on mine, but don't notice any lag when outputting 1280x720 via HDMI from my laptop.
post #19 of 20 Old 09-23-2012, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPS13 View Post

The LG PA70G is LED DLP and 1280x800. It is rated at 700 lumens, so at a lower brightness setting it still puts out plenty of light for a 100-110" screen. You can get it at Fry's for $450-500ish on sale.
I haven't gamed on mine, but don't notice any lag when outputting 1280x720 via HDMI from my laptop.

If your interested try this and post results here and the official LG PA70G thread. http://www.flatpanelshd.com/focus.php?subaction=showfull&id=1229335064 The best way is to do it against a CRT display as they have no input lag in general. Many do it against the laptop screen and that will have some input lag so the test tells you if the same or worse then the LCD laptop screen. I and many others would be greatful if you would run the test if able.
post #20 of 20 Old 09-23-2012, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyen78 View Post

If you want 3D, I think the cheapest 3D 720p projector is probably the Optoma GT750. The 700 is 3D ready (it doesn't have hdmi 1.4 ports) and would require the purchase of an optoma 3D-XL (or something similar), either that or you'd have to use a computer.
The main issue with this series of projectors is the limited placement as they are short throw with no lens zoom or image shift.
I have the GT750 which I got because it was short throw. It helps with stuff like wii and kinect cause the projector is in front of where you will stand. I also really wanted 3D so decided to forgo 1080p. At your price range you'll just have to determine if 3D or 1080p is more important to you. I also have a 3D plasma tv but a large screen really makes the 3D better and less fatiguing on my eyes.
If you can compare a 720p and 1080p image on a projector at a local store that can help you decide.

appreciate the post man, but I am not into 3d at all.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page