Optoma HD66 vs ML500 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 09-23-2012, 04:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hello, friends.
need help from you guys choose which projector to buy, Optoma HD66 or ML500. Had a plasma tv of 51 and now I am to choose one of two projectors, but I want quality in images and even after searching a lot in this forum still can not decide which projector to buy. I control the brightness of the environment and will use the distance of 4m. I wonder which of the two would be the best image to HD movies. please help me in this decision so hard.

Thank you friends.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-24-2012, 03:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
Are you set on these for price or being portable/led's? Seems the HD66 may have had some reliability issues, and the ML500 while sufficient for the price, may not be as "quality in image" you mention. An extra $100 more may get you into an entry level DLP projector that may be nicer if your main goal is to watch movies or? If you mention your budget, and your plans as to movies, gaming, etc., that may help in providing suggestions.
post #3 of 6 Old 09-24-2012, 04:00 AM - Thread Starter

I am interested in these two options because I can not go to a HD20, I will use for movies, watch tv, ps3, but would really like a choice between these two projectors that can best give me a better picture. I will use the projector at a distance of 3.5 m from the screen, and my room is very dark. This is my first projector and used a plasma tv before 51. "Now I want to see bluray movies on a bigger screen and with maximum quality in this price range.
post #4 of 6 Old 09-24-2012, 04:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnabq View Post

Are you set on these for price or being portable/led's? Seems the HD66 may have had some reliability issues, and the ML500 while sufficient for the price, may not be as "quality in image" you mention. An extra $100 more may get you into an entry level DLP projector that may be nicer if your main goal is to watch movies or? If you mention your budget, and your plans as to movies, gaming, etc., that may help in providing suggestions.

I saw these pictures of projection ML500 and I was impressed.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/45307625@N02/6176398424 /
post #5 of 6 Old 09-24-2012, 05:37 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 28
Why only Optoma projectors?

The big difference between those two is more brightness and better optics in the HD66, and no(little?) worries on bulb life with the ML500.

The LG PA70G is the newest portable LED projector out, and it appears to have a brightness boost over the ML500 for a moderate to no increase in cost depending on your location. You might want to give that a look if you decide you'd rather go LED.

If you're willing to go with a bulb unit, I'd probably go up to a 1080P unit. As the cost differential is fairly small to go with something like a Viewsonic Pro8200 as one of the most inexpensive 1080P DLP projectors out there.
post #6 of 6 Old 09-24-2012, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPS13 View Post

Why only Optoma projectors?
The big difference between those two is more brightness and better optics in the HD66, and no(little?) worries on bulb life with the ML500.
The LG PA70G is the newest portable LED projector out, and it appears to have a brightness boost over the ML500 for a moderate to no increase in cost depending on your location. You might want to give that a look if you decide you'd rather go LED.
If you're willing to go with a bulb unit, I'd probably go up to a 1080P unit. As the cost differential is fairly small to go with something like a Viewsonic Pro8200 as one of the most inexpensive 1080P DLP projectors out there.

is because I live in Brazil and the only ones vendors projectors officers are too expensive, so I'm buying from a person who goes to the U.S. and he has the HD66, ML500, HD33 and HD20. but the price difference and quite large. I do not need the projector is small, because it will have a fixed location. I searched in several forums and everyone speaks highly of ML500 as the HD66, but do not make a relationship between them. I think the best way would be seeing but have no way to rely only on youtube videos. I do not know but I really hope you are satisfied with the options of projectors.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page