Upgrading to 1080p - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 09-30-2012, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I currently have an Acer H5360, and am considering an upgrade in the near future. I am not very picky, but one of my main gripes with this projector is the poor black levels, as I watch a lot of dark horror movies. I am currently planning on upgrading to a Mitsubishi HC4000. I am still on the fence about upgrading, as money is a bit tight, and I must admit I am fairly happy with my Acer projector. Here is some information about my home theater...

I am projecting to an 80" 16x9 screen.
My home theater is in my basement, so I have great control of lighting.
Depending on which seat you are in, you are sitting between roughly 8.5 and 10 feet from the screen.
I use the projector about 15 hours per week.
About 40% of the use is Xbox 360 gaming (I believe almost all games are 720p and can upscale to 1080p), 40% is 720p TV content and 20% is movies (movies that are currently 720p, but would be 1080p if I had a 1080p projector).

Would I likely see a big improvement with the Mitsubishi on all of the content, or a small improvement all around, but only a big improvement on the 1080p movies? I am clearly not all that knowledgeable in this field, so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-30-2012, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Have you thought of putting an ND filter on your H5360? That PJ has to be super bright at 80", so I think you could give up some lumens to improve black levels.
post #3 of 6 Old 09-30-2012, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Nope, I have never even heard of NF filters. So, according to a post I found on here after doing some Googling...

I should "get a filter that is close to the right size for the lens ring," and some RTV silicone. Then, "Use 3 small drops around the outside of the HD filter frame and stick it to the PJ lens housing."

Does that sound about right? Perhaps try a ND 2 first, as that seems to be fairly standard for projectors from the few minutes of research I have done. If I try this, I assume I will have to pump my brightness up from its current level. This seems like just turning down the brightness with a filter, then turning it back up to where it was before, but clearly it isn't as simple as that, as apparently lots of people use ND filters apparently. Might have to do a bit of research on the subject to understand it a bit better.
post #4 of 6 Old 09-30-2012, 05:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
There are a bunch of ways to fix it on the projector, and they don't need to be very robust obviously.

The Epson 705HD had some good talk about ND filters I recall.

I'm curious as to why you feel you'd need to keep your current level of brightness, which has got to be VERY bright for low ambient light viewing. What sort of screen do you have? I would think you could chop off 25% of your lumens and be fine from a brightness standpoint. Maybe going to a brighter calibration mode, or running the lamp on high. But I've found your eyes will naturally adjust to lower brightness levels as long as the contrast is there.
post #5 of 6 Old 09-30-2012, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegeta13613 View Post

I currently have an Acer H5360, and am considering an upgrade in the near future. I am not very picky, but one of my main gripes with this projector is the poor black levels, as I watch a lot of dark horror movies. I am currently planning on upgrading to a Mitsubishi HC4000. I am still on the fence about upgrading, as money is a bit tight, and I must admit I am fairly happy with my Acer projector. Here is some information about my home theater...
I am projecting to an 80" 16x9 screen.
My home theater is in my basement, so I have great control of lighting.
Depending on which seat you are in, you are sitting between roughly 8.5 and 10 feet from the screen.
I use the projector about 15 hours per week.
About 40% of the use is Xbox 360 gaming (I believe almost all games are 720p and can upscale to 1080p), 40% is 720p TV content and 20% is movies (movies that are currently 720p, but would be 1080p if I had a 1080p projector).
Would I likely see a big improvement with the Mitsubishi on all of the content, or a small improvement all around, but only a big improvement on the 1080p movies? I am clearly not all that knowledgeable in this field, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

I recently upgraded from a Optoma HD66 to a Mitsubishi HC4000 and now I clearly see what I had been missing all along. The HD66 is nearly identical to the Acer. The Mits is much more sharper, higher native contrast, better colors, better motion handling, etc. The list goes on. The Acer is fine for what it is, but if you do upgrade the the Mits you won't be disappointed. Even regular HDTV looks amazing on it.

post #6 of 6 Old 09-30-2012, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

Ah, thanks for the input, Kenny! I am still a bit nervous about spending the cash to upgrade to a 1080p projector when I will be playing almost solely 720p content on it, but it is sounding like it may still be worth it. If anyone else has opinions, I definitely wouldn't mind more information. It is starting to sound like I should save up some cash and go for the Mitsubishi Black Friday or Cyber Monday.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page