Lowerable Ceiling Projector Mount for HD8300? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 10-01-2012, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Hello! I just bought an Optoma hd8300 and, since I'm leaning towards a hi power screen, I'm looking to get a ceiling projector mount that could be lowered into the prime projection area but raised up to the ceiling when it's not in use. I don't need it to be motorized, I'm totally fine with manually raising/lowering it, and would also be fine with DIY, but for either buying one or building one, I'm having a hard time finding what I'm looking for. It looks like most of the adjustable mounts are more of a "adjust it, then leave it" kinda deal. The one I found that actually went up and down was motorized and cost $1000 (I'm leaning towards $200 max). I imagine it'd be pretty easy to make one, but it'd probably help if I knew what to look for--the best idea I've got is to use some sort of inverted scissor lift contraption, but, frankly, I don't know where to begin looking for such a device. Any help?

Furthermore, I would welcome some input on my proposed set up. I went with the Optoma and hi power set up because I am a 3d fan. However, if I were to go with a screen that didn't require such stringent projector placement requirements, I could go with a normal ceiling mount.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-01-2012, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Not knowing your budget, or lighting/placement constraints, or screen size, there may be a better option than the Optoma. But if you do choose to stay with the Optoma, deciding on the screen size, will help to determine if you really need the hi power for the added brightness.

I think under good conditions, on a fairly large 100ish screen, a gain of 1.3-1.4 would work? Have you looked at any calculators and ran some numbers? Sounds like a lot of trouble when something simpler might suffice? But, anyway, for inspiration, that might help with the lift. http://www.bennedum.org/ht/Lift/
post #3 of 3 Old 10-01-2012, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 74
It looks like vertical placement for the 8300 might be kind of restricted, so the hi-power screen might not even be an option (I'm going to keep researching this). Anyhoo, I went for the Optoma because it's a DLP (I, like I said, am a 3d fan and want to minimize cross-talk), has a dynamic iris, and, at the $1750 (refurbished) price I just paid for it, seems to be a good deal. This will be my first projector, so I'm excited and curious to see what I think of it. If there's another DLP out there that has good black levels and contrast and is around the same price, I'd be eager to take a look.

The screen, for now, will be a 106" elite manual with a 1.1 gain. It seems good enough for now, considering the price ($130) but an upgrade down the road might be in order.

Thanks for the link!
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page