Mitsubishi HC3800 calibration request. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 10-02-2012, 02:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 10
im not so good at calibrating and i want to have the best picture out of my projector that i can get.
i would apreciate anyones calibration settings for this projector and test them out.
room is dark, soon will have a black cloth covering the wall behind the projector's screen.
thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 10-02-2012, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Here's a thread that may help you get started;
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1216940/mits-hc3800-tweakers-thread

I have the settings in post #45 of that thread saved and they look very good. I also have set it by eye and the THX Optimizer for brightness, color, tint and sharpness for my room, very dark gray, blackout curtains, cave-like;

Gamma mode=Cinema
Contrast +1
Brightness +5
Color temp=Medium
Color +1
Tint 0
Brilliant Color=On
Sharpness +2
Lamp mode=LOW

In the FEATURE menu>SETUP=OFF

I tried to use the AVSHD disk and it didn't work for me. It wanted to set the Contrast to +23 or +25 and that was to get it only down to 240, I would have maxed out at +30 to get it to stop blinking at 235 on the White Clipping pattern. This was so bright that it was painful to watch and I developed eye strain very quickly. It also made football players in white jerseys on far shots, little balls of white. I'm sure that I was doing something wrong as I have never seen anyone set Contrast near that high in all the calibrations that people post.
post #3 of 18 Old 10-02-2012, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

thnx ill try it and ye i noticed that the settings are all low compared to what i thought they will be.
i thought that contrast and brightness would go higher
post #4 of 18 Old 10-02-2012, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Contrast and brightness need to be set for "your room" with a cal. disc. And most people will disagree with having Brilliant Color "ON". Definitely turn that off. Ask in the Calibration section about Brilliant Color and see what they tell you.
post #5 of 18 Old 10-02-2012, 07:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Obviously there will be lamp/screen/room variables across all the settings but my calibration was done with an i1Pro corrected i1D3 and came out as good as it gets on the HC3800 considering it does not offer a true full CMS.

If you get really lucky this calibration may work well but PLEASE DO NOT ASSUME THIS MEANS YOU WILL HAVE A PRO LEVEL CALIBRATION ON YOUR HC3800, you will only see your HC3800 reach its full potential by doing a pro level calibration on your own unit. wink.gif

Mitsubishi HC3800 6500K/D65 Calibration

Gamma Mode: Cinema (near perfect 2.2 across entire range after calibration)
Contrast: -12
Brightness: 2

Color Temp: USER (see below)

Color: 1
Tint: 2
Sharpness: 1
Brilliant Color: OFF

COLOR TEMP REFERENCE: Medium

Contrast:
R 4
G 0
B 5

Brightness:
R 1
G 0
B 0

Color Management: (first number = Gain, second number = Saturation)

Red -2,0

Green -5,0

Blue -20,0

Cyan -2,0

Magenta -7,0

Yellow 0,-4

Jason
post #6 of 18 Old 10-03-2012, 04:45 AM - Thread Starter

thanks guys and keep em coming, whoever's got settings i don't mind trying them out and see which is the best for me.
its wierd seeing how most of u guys choose medium, for me medium looks yellowish and COOL looks nicer.
anyway well see what happens, i have still to put my pj screen on the wall and i am only getting it tonight + i have to buy a wall mount for the pj since i cant use it normal i have to upside down it.
post #7 of 18 Old 10-03-2012, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soler37 View Post

thanks guys and keep em coming, whoever's got settings i don't mind trying them out and see which is the best for me.
its wierd seeing how most of u guys choose medium, for me medium looks yellowish and COOL looks nicer.
anyway well see what happens, i have still to put my pj screen on the wall and i am only getting it tonight + i have to buy a wall mount for the pj since i cant use it normal i have to upside down it.

Medium is the closest to 6500K, that's why it's used. All the Pro reviews I read verified that.

There's a thread here somewhere for this. I think it's called the HC3800 tweaker's thread.
post #8 of 18 Old 10-04-2012, 03:40 AM - Thread Starter

i dont understand the term 6500k, spectrum is it?
post #9 of 18 Old 10-04-2012, 07:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

i dont understand the term 6500k, spectrum is it?

I remember reading somewhere that 6500k is the color of daylight in Europe. Here's a link that might help explain it;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_temperature
post #10 of 18 Old 10-04-2012, 07:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

Obviously there will be lamp/screen/room variables across all the settings but my calibration was done with an i1Pro corrected i1D3 and came out as good as it gets on the HC3800 considering it does not offer a true full CMS.
If you get really lucky this calibration may work well but PLEASE DO NOT ASSUME THIS MEANS YOU WILL HAVE A PRO LEVEL CALIBRATION ON YOUR HC3800, you will only see your HC3800 reach its full potential by doing a pro level calibration on your own unit. wink.gif
Contrast:
R 4
G 0
B 5
Brightness:
R 1
G 0
B 0
Red -2,0
Green -5,0
Blue -20,0
Cyan -2,0
Magenta -7,0
Yellow 0,-4

Hi Jason,

I gave your cal a try and it came out nice colorwise but was way too dark. Are you using the bulb in Standard or Low setting? I'm using a Parkland DIY screen that has around a 1.4 gain (I used samples from Carada and Brilliant White matched very closely) in Low bulb mode and projecting to a 98 inch screen at 11 feet in a light controlled, dark gray room. I cranked up the Contrast/Brightness to -8/3 and it looks better to me now and seems close to the pj's defaults, but will this have a negative effect on the other color settings?

Edit- I was watching the Arizona Cardinals/Rams football game last night and was blown away at how deep, true and accurate the reds were on the Cards uniforms. The best that they have ever looked. Fleshtones and all the other colors were also great while watching some Masterpiece Mystery programming. I did have to turn up the Contrast to 0 and brightness to 5 though to make it acceptable to me and it didn't seem to have any real affect on the color settings so I'm using this cal as my default. Great work!
post #11 of 18 Old 10-05-2012, 02:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Hi Patrick,

My unit only had a little over 100 hours on the lamp/unit when this calibration was performed so the contrast setting was set at the point where there was no obvious color push into the whites. As I recall any higher contrast setting on my unit resulted in pinkish whites (slight red push) even though the patterns would tell you that it can indeed be set much higher. I did this calibration for absolute accuracy with no compromises and it was done from the PJ, not off the screen, as the unit was sold to an AVS member that was not using the same screen (and obviously would have a different room).

Glad it's working well for you.

Jason
post #12 of 18 Old 10-05-2012, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

same for me, the settings color wise are great but the picture is wayy to dark
post #13 of 18 Old 10-05-2012, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

same for me, the settings color wise are great but the picture is wayy to dark

All you can do is raise the contrast. Mine is at -4
soler37 likes this.
post #14 of 18 Old 10-06-2012, 06:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post

All you can do is raise the contrast. Mine is at -4

I agree. Just set it so you're happy. Many people find after having a pro cal to 6500k, it's darker than they like or are used to. I know because I had it done on a Mitsi HD RPTV, back in 2001, for $800, where I was told..."You'll get used to it". I never got used to it and raised the Contrast to my liking.

I believe Jason's cal is also the first that I've seen that uses the 'color management' menu and goes deeper into color adjustments other than R/G/B which, as I said before, has made MY 3800 the most dynamic and true that it has ever looked, even after raising the Contrast/Brightness to my preference. I wish that I had seen it 2 years ago.
post #15 of 18 Old 10-06-2012, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 147
As the lamp ages, generally it loses RED and you end up with too much blue and/or green. Adding a bit of blue or green usually makes it brighter. Actually an image that is a bit too cool isn't bad to watch at all anyhow, much better usually than an image that is too warm (to a point anyhow).

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #16 of 18 Old 10-07-2012, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter

i found that none of the calibration settings that ive tried have been to my liking.
i now understand that i must calibrate to MY own room and projector's lamp life.
if i had a 10k projector than i will get a pro calibrater.
post #17 of 18 Old 10-08-2012, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

Contrast:
R 4
G 0
B 5
Brightness:
R 1
G 0
B 0
Red -2,0
Green -5,0
Blue -20,0
Cyan -2,0
Magenta -7,0
Yellow 0,-4

Thank You.

I used this set up and my HC3800 black is much much deeper now. Wished I have seen this sooner. I used to calibrate with the software from here but didn't improve much.

I have dark brown color room with black paint few feet around the screen.
post #18 of 18 Old 10-12-2012, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter

i like hes setting to but for some reason i cant get my 3800 to be bright enough, yesterday i watched abit of the Lorax (animation)and theres a part with this guy in a window where you can see hes eyes and only abit of hes face on the PC but i on the pj i can see only hes eyes, its hard to find a right match between contrast and brightness and other settings which change the pq greatly, furthermore when i turn BC on i see wierd distortion of colour on the faces usually (not only in animation) and when i turn it off it goes away.
i have 380H on my lamp, is that why its acting out or is it just the settings are wrong? (my first PJ bought second hand)
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page