JVC DLA-HD250 Pro - Pink / Purple vertical line on right side of screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 10-02-2012, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This just started on a JVC DLA-HD250 Pro installed a little less than two years ago. I have a vertical pink (or purple-ish / pink) line on extreme right side. I tried to take some pics to show symptom. (my pics are lousy - you may have to zoom in to see the line on right side, but it is very noticeable in the theater)
Anyone know what this is? I cannot remedy with any setting that I have tried - it's always there. The projector has been installed almost two years with no issues until this.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 10-02-2012, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Update: I sent photos to dealer and he said he'd never seen this sort of symptom. I double-checked that problem was present on both HDMI ports. I also used different direct-cabled HDMI sources. All show same issue.
Called JVC and starting the factory repair process.
post #3 of 17 Old 10-03-2012, 01:53 PM

Liked: 16
Go to the other forum (3k and higher) and look for the various RSXX owner's threads. The HD250 is essentially an RS10. This issue has been known to pop up. In fact, I just bought a used RS20 with this issue. The price was too good and I can just mask it off if it really gets to be bothersome. Anyway, be prepared to spend a ton of money getting it fixed by JVC. There is no fix for it other than to replace the panels, which must be done by JVC. If you can live with it or mask it off or use the image shift feature to get rid of it, I'd stick to that.

post #4 of 17 Old 10-04-2012, 10:06 AM

My HD250 shows the exact same thing, it's on it's way to JVC right now, still 2 weeks left on my warranty. Its the optical block and if you are within the 2 year warranty send it JVC asap before your 2 years is up. It cost more than you paid for the projector to fix this problem. If you are past the warranty you can just use over scan or lens zoom to push the pink band off the screen, not ideal, but less expensive than buying a new projector...
post #5 of 17 Old 10-05-2012, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Wow - thanks for your replies on this.
This projector is JUST inside the warranty period - This one also has just about two weeks left! It is on it's way to JVC now for warranty repair.

Other notes FWIW:
The lamp had 1860 hours on it, all at "standard" brightness which on this PJ is plenty AFAIK
The PJ was unboxed and installed as if it were a precious jewel and once setup and calibration was completed was not physically touched / moved / etc. It lives in a very well ventilated enclosure.
About the only surprise I had was how gunked up the main air filter was. I really should have checked this sooner. I suspect it was so dirty b/c of residual construction dust - you know the stuff that seems to linger even weeks after all the paint is dry.
It was not blocked, but definitely dirty.

Thanks again for the verification.
post #6 of 17 Old 10-09-2012, 10:01 AM

FYI the status on my HD250 went from "received" on Friday the day it arrived, to "waiting parts" today (Tuesday). So far, looks like JVC is on the job!
post #7 of 17 Old 11-13-2012, 01:37 AM

Liked: 11
I've had the same problem on my jvc hd 750. Under warranty they repaired it, but it came back . (JVC does noet replace the optical block under warranty, they have a technicicna allign the mirrors in the optical block). Now completely by accident i have found a solution for this.

Again, completely by accident i left my pj running all night with the heating in the room fairly high ! (+- 28 degrees celsius inside). The weird thing is i noticed the pink line, wich had been there for severl months already, DISSAPEARED ! about two weeks later it came back very slightly, so i decided to take a gambit, and used a blowdryer on the hottest setting and on low 'blowing' power, blowing gently hot air in the airintake, and oh yes, u could almost see the pink line dissapearing... since then it has never come back again....

I guess i'm suggesting u turn up the heating in your room and let it run, please let me know if it works for u guys also !

grtz
post #8 of 17 Old 11-15-2012, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter

wow - that sux that problem came back. I'm hoping for better reults of course. JVC still has the projector. (out since first week of October. JVC is terrible at updating status. We have to call them and ask for updates. Now they claim that part(s) are on back order and will not arrive until 12/26.... does 3 months (plus) seem like an average warranty repair from JVC?

Edit: Sorry I realized I did not thank you for providing your heat related fix. I've no idea if this might relate to my issue but very interesting. Thanks for posting that!
post #9 of 17 Old 11-15-2012, 12:05 PM

Has anyone else tried the heat trick? I'm a little wary of trying it since I'm out of warranty but I'd be interested in seeing if someone else can say whether this works or not.

post #10 of 17 Old 11-15-2012, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35

LOL!

Reminds me of the dead XBOX 360 RROD fix (for the Red Ring of Death)

Wrap a towel around the XBOX while its running so it intentionally overheats,

my guess is that it generated enough heat to melt cracked/weak soldering connections

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avWs4-wD15w

I'd be weary, heat is the number one cause of electronics failures, curing an optic could damage something else.

My First Home Theater
...When a Kuro plasma still isnt enough, make your movie Experience Larger than Life with a Projector!
post #11 of 17 Old 12-28-2012, 06:20 PM

My 2 year old dla-hd250 is now having the same issue, purple band along the left edge (ceiling mounted projector). It started several months ago and I thought it was because the bulb was old and was not concerned, replaced the bulb today and it is still there, bummer. I really don't want to pay for a repair that costs more than I paid for the projector and I really like the projector too. Wondering if JVC has some kind of 'parts' issue with these projectors...seems to me they should repair these on their dime if it is happening across their line right near the 2 year mark. I will be calling them next week to see what I can do since I am just a couple of months out of warranty, guessing they will tell me "sorry you have to pay you are out of warranty", if this is true then no more JVC more me...will be looking for another Projector brand for my next purchase. Anyone that has had this issue know what the out of warranty repair costs?
post #12 of 17 Old 12-28-2012, 06:31 PM

Repair is about 3k for the optical optical lock plus labor.

post #13 of 17 Old 12-29-2012, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgood10921 View Post

I will be calling them next week to see what I can do since I am just a couple of months out of warranty, guessing they will tell me "sorry you have to pay you are out of warranty", if this is true then no more JVC more me...will be looking for another Projector brand for my next purchase. Anyone that has had this issue know what the out of warranty repair costs?

If you paid for the projector with a credit card some companies like VISA, MasterCard, etc. have a warranty extension benefit.

5 Credit Cards That Act As Warranties

Credit Cards With the Best Extended Warranties

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #14 of 17 Old 01-13-2013, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgood10921 View Post

My 2 year old dla-hd250 is now having the same issue, purple band along the left edge (ceiling mounted projector). It started several months ago and I thought it was because the bulb was old and was not concerned, replaced the bulb today and it is still there, bummer. I really don't want to pay for a repair that costs more than I paid for the projector and I really like the projector too. Wondering if JVC has some kind of 'parts' issue with these projectors...seems to me they should repair these on their dime if it is happening across their line right near the 2 year mark. I will be calling them next week to see what I can do since I am just a couple of months out of warranty, guessing they will tell me "sorry you have to pay you are out of warranty", if this is true then no more JVC more me...will be looking for another Projector brand for my next purchase. Anyone that has had this issue know what the out of warranty repair costs?

I absolutely agree with you. I believe it's a design issue, like Sony had on their SXRD rear screen TV's. After a lot of denials and claiming the problem had been corrected, Sony continued to make and sell these TVs with defective optical blocks (A2000, A2020 and A3000). Finally, a class action was filed, but, in the end, Sony wound up (secretly) offering NEW TVs at a BIG discount to owners with the bad sets (which seemed like nearly all at one point). If it wasn’t for the AVSFORUM and people posting their problem, enabling others to see what was going on, Sony would have done NOTHING but continue to deny that there was even a problem. It reminds me of auto manufacturers when a problem is first detected, until they are forced into a recall. That’s what I believe JVC should do. They should at least DOUBLE the warranty period.

In an effort to consolidate the threads under ONE title so owners can easily track it, I started a new thread here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1451654/attention-magenta-or-any-colored-stripe-defect-on-their-jvc-projector

I would appreciate it if you (and anyone else with the problem) could post your information there, whether it was repaired already under warranty or not. If nothing else, maybe they will take responsibility for what appears to be a very widespread problem. I own an RS35, however, it has such low hours on it that there hasn't been enough time for ANY problem to develop yet. The RS35 came with a 3 year warranty....and mine expires around the end of this month. I have MANY years of experience installing and repairing JVC D'ILA projectors (which “were” the best of the bunch. However, from experience, it's beginning to look more and more like a design defect. What's even more annoying is that it's now apparently even showing up on their "newest" chassis design. If that doesn’t scream defect, Sony has good company. I can’t wait until BAD OPTICAL BLOCKS start showing up on Sony’s, and to a lesser extent because of much lower sales, JVC’s 4K DCI theatre projectors, with the heat from the 2K and up xenon lamphouses.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -Ghandi
post #15 of 17 Old 02-12-2014, 01:16 PM

I have the same problem, the same stripe, on the left side of my JVC screen.  Could it be a lamp issue?

post #16 of 17 Old 04-13-2014, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbstewart View Post

I have the same problem, the same stripe, on the left side of my JVC screen.  Could it be a lamp issue?

Very unlikely. If it's under warranty, get it to jvc ASAP. If it's not, the links in the main thread about this defect may be useful (see the post a couple up from the is). For example, there is a place in the UK that can repair the optical block rather than replace it, for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denkiedenk View Post

I've had the same problem on my jvc hd 750. Under warranty they repaired it, but it came back . (JVC does noet replace the optical block under warranty, they have a technicicna allign the mirrors in the optical block). Now completely by accident i have found a solution for this.

Again, completely by accident i left my pj running all night with the heating in the room fairly high ! (+- 28 degrees celsius inside). The weird thing is i noticed the pink line, wich had been there for severl months already, DISSAPEARED ! about two weeks later it came back very slightly, so i decided to take a gambit, and used a blowdryer on the hottest setting and on low 'blowing' power, blowing gently hot air in the airintake, and oh yes, u could almost see the pink line dissapearing... since then it has never come back again....

I guess i'm suggesting u turn up the heating in your room and let it run, please let me know if it works for u guys also !

grtz

Is this still working for you?

post #17 of 17 Old 07-08-2014, 11:02 AM

Liked: 0
I think there are enough people with this same issue we need to go after jvc!!! I don't make a ton of money and I had to save for a long long time to buy this thing and it should of lasted me a lot longer then 2 and a half years for the amount of money spent it should have a perfect picture!!!! If interested please help!!!!!
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc Dla Hd250 Front Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page