AE 4000 (RIP) Rest in Peace - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-02-2012, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just received the email that I never wanted, my AE 4000 at exactly 3 years is DEAD. A "doctor" informed me that the main board is dead and the lamp housing cracked. Total repair bill approx. $1800. I am contemplating just selling the remains back to the repair doctor to cover the cost of the $65 analysis. I do not want to pay another $50 for shipping a dead box back. The death occurred after a 5 second power drop. The Lamp shut off and the fan continued to run. In fact the fan ran all night long would never shut off. I had to unplug it to shut the fan off. Looking for a new replacement PJ an at the moment and stuck watching a 40" Aquos. I would appreciate any thoughts and condolences on how to proceed with the DEAD projector. Is there more than $120 left in its dead case???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-02-2012, 12:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Sorry to hear of your loss...

The good news is that there is a huge crop of great new projectors out there, just waiting for you to buy them! Not to mention the world of 3D, too!

I can highly recommend the JVC RS45 for 2D use. That's the one I own, and it's a fantastic projector.

I also considered the Panasonic AE7000, and the Epson 5010, which are great choices too. Let the fun begin!

Fine Music, Movies, Wine, and Friends - A Life Well Lived!
post #3 of 4 Old 10-08-2012, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

Projector ROI (return on investment) AE 4000 with a whole house surge protector and and 2nd local surge protector $62 per month to watch. Same as a compact car payment, UGH!
post #4 of 4 Old 10-17-2012, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

Replaced my 3 year old dead Panasonic AE4000u with an Epson 8700. (no need for 3D capability at this time) We loved the Panny but the Epson outperforms it. Contrast and Brightness smash the Panny. Even with a 6 month old 2nd bulb in the 4000. I have a ceiling mount in a 7.5 foot room and Projector fan noise is critical. Epson in Eco mode is absolutely silent. As reported by others the Auto Iris is noticeable during very quiet scenes but not a deal killer. Iris is most noticeable when fast forwarding through commercials when using a DVR and the projector tries to keep up with the scene changes. The manual focus and lens shift is not as convenient as the Panny but we are set it and forget viewers, 16:9 people. Took me only 30min to have it up and running on the existing ceiling mount. Very Happy with Epson so far.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page