Replacing lamp on Panny PT AE4000u - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 10-02-2012, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My first lamp replacement. How hard is it to replace the bulb only using the existing housing? I'm pretty handy with these types of projects, but I'm wondering if it is fairly simple or a potential nightmare. The savings seem to be substantial and it makes sense to re-use the housing which seems to be in perfectly good condition. It seems like the equivalent to replacing your entire desk lamp when the light bulb burns out.

Also, any recommendations on where to buy bulb only or entire lamp unit? I found one from ApexLamps but how do I know for sure if it is an OEM lamp?

Thanks in advance.

It used to be:"Wine, Women and Song"Now it's: "Beer, The Old Lady and TV"My Theater Build http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/Gr...?sort=6&page=1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 10-02-2012, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Do a forum search for "replacement lamp" Many many many threads with the exact same questions answered
post #3 of 15 Old 10-02-2012, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregavi View Post

My first lamp replacement. How hard is it to replace the bulb only using the existing housing? I'm pretty handy with these types of projects, but I'm wondering if it is fairly simple or a potential nightmare. The savings seem to be substantial and it makes sense to re-use the housing which seems to be in perfectly good condition. It seems like the equivalent to replacing your entire desk lamp when the light bulb burns out.
Also, any recommendations on where to buy bulb only or entire lamp unit? I found one from ApexLamps but how do I know for sure if it is an OEM lamp?

Thanks in advance.

It's a clone - buyer beware. Panasonic does not supply their proprietary 'red rich' bulb to outside vendors.

For a little more buy the OEM Panasonic lamp and assembly from Provantage - excellent reputation.

Typo on the listing - should read Replacement Lamp and Filter.

http://www.provantage.com/panasonic-et-lae4000~7PANP0H0.htm
randyox likes this.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #4 of 15 Old 10-03-2012, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Agreed. Buy the real Panasonic bulb and filter from ProVantage and you won't regret it. I've done that twice now and would do it again.
randyox likes this.
post #5 of 15 Old 10-03-2012, 09:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have bought two non OEM replacement bulbs to date, one for my Panny Ax200 and one for my Panny AE4000. I had to return the first one I received for the 200 because it wasn't very bright. They sent me a replacement and its been great so far...about 400 hours. The one I got for the 4000 was great right out of the box and I am pleased with it as well.

I used the "Focused Technology" site after talking to one of their reps and for the time being you can count me as a convert to non OEM bulbs.
post #6 of 15 Old 10-04-2012, 07:24 AM
Advanced Member

How much did you save? A genuine Panasonic bulb for the AE4000 is about $300 at ProVantage.
post #7 of 15 Old 10-05-2012, 01:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Sargent View Post

How much did you save? A genuine Panasonic bulb for the AE4000 is about $300 at ProVantage.

I think they're about $100 less at Focused Tech.

It used to be:"Wine, Women and Song"Now it's: "Beer, The Old Lady and TV"My Theater Build http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/Gr...?sort=6&page=1
post #8 of 15 Old 10-05-2012, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO Abear View Post

I have bought two non OEM replacement bulbs to date, one for my Panny Ax200 and one for my Panny AE4000. I had to return the first one I received for the 200 because it wasn't very bright. They sent me a replacement and its been great so far...about 400 hours. The one I got for the 4000 was great right out of the box and I am pleased with it as well.
I used the "Focused Technology" site after talking to one of their reps and for the time being you can count me as a convert to non OEM bulbs.

I'm glad you are happy with your bulbs and that they work in your projectors, no one said they wouldn't. However they are no way comparable to the original and only time will tell how much mileage you get out of them. There is obviously a market for these clone bulbs otherwise they wouldn't be so prevalent on the internet.

post #9 of 15 Old 10-07-2012, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

I ended up buying an original from Provantage. Should be here next week. Thanks for the responses.

post #10 of 15 Old 10-15-2012, 08:33 AM

I finally decided to replace my lamp on my projector. I have read a number of posts on various sites and most agree with Michael Sargent that the best way to go is with the original Panasonic parts. I ordered mine today through Provantage as well. Thanks for all the input. It has been great to be a member of this site and have all the knowledge and experience to draw from. Thanks again!
post #11 of 15 Old 10-17-2012, 07:48 AM

Liked: 10
I just ordered from ProVantage this morning. Had ~2150 hrs on the original lamp and last night it shut off on me.

I can't wait to see the difference a new lamp makes.
post #12 of 15 Old 10-22-2012, 10:22 AM

I ordered my lamp from ProVantage Monday and received it within a couple of days. They were great to deal with and were very happy to answer my questions. I would definitely recommend them to do business with. On the night before I received my new lamp, I watched a football game I had recorded. I wanted to see what kind of a difference a new lamp would have on my viewing experience. I even had my wife and son watch for a while. My wife complained that the picture was just too dark. I did increase brightness but it only helped a little. All in all, while watchable, it left a lot to be desired. I did check the hours on the lamp and was surprised to see that I had over 2800 hours on the lamp. The next day I replaced the lamp. It was very easy to do. I had it replaced and up and running in less than 5 minutes... and I was absolutely THRILLED with the results! The picture was so bright and the detail... I had no idea I was missing out on all the detail. My wife came in to watch for a few minutes and also was pleasantly surprised by how good the picture looked. I am so glad I replaced the bulb before the holidays begin. We have a lot of family get togethers and it will be nice to have the projector running at its best. Thanks again for all the input on this board and a special thanks to Michael Sargent and your advice!
post #13 of 15 Old 10-23-2012, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

My pleasure. Others recommended ProVantage to me, and I'm just happy to be able to pass along such good advice.

Enjoy!
post #14 of 15 Old 10-24-2012, 11:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Yea great job, now they are all sold out and I can't buy one , damn you all hahahaha.

i7 4770K/16 gig 2133/GTX 680 840 PRO SSD

Paradigm Studio 100/570/20's/2200 Sub

Onkyo 809 42" LCD/Panny AE4000

post #15 of 15 Old 10-25-2012, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtv00 View Post

Yea great job, now they are all sold out and I can't buy one , damn you all hahahaha.

I'm sure they will be replenishing their stock.

If you're in a hurry there is always B&H - their prices are higher but they have a good reputation as well.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/655353-REG/Panasonic_ET_LAE4000_Replacement_Lamp_for_PT_AE4000.html

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP