ACER H5360BD in a cabinet. To hot? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 10-08-2012, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just bought an Acer H5360BD (yet to receive it). Thinking of mounting it in one of these:

http://www.ikea.com/se/sv/catalog/products/40102148/

plus doors. If the link doesn't work it's a cabinet 60x40x40 cm (24''x16''x16'').

Open the doors when i want to watch, keep it hidden the rest of the time. The manual says to keep 50 cm of clearance on all sides for heat dissipation. Clearly i'm not following that. The outlet is to the front so i figured as long as the cabinet is open it'll be okay, but i know next to nothing about these things so i thought i'd post here first.

Bad idea?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-09-2012, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

No one? It affects the size of my screen and i'm eager to buy one.

To hot in the enclosure - I'll place the projector on a sliding shelf and slide it out when in use - 90" screen
You'll be fine - Great, i'll keep it in there - 108" screen

Anyone care to chime in?
post #3 of 10 Old 10-09-2012, 12:21 PM

Liked: 13
disclaimer: follow the manufacturers recommendation.

reality: i have the 5360 mounted under a table 6" on left. 12" rear, right open, 20" above..no issues at all. Your cabinet is much more confined tho.

5360 draws air in from 3 sides, and exhausts it out the front, 45 deg away from lens. It should be ok IF you can make sure only cool air is being drawn in. Maybe open the back of the cabinet etc. The fan doesn't move a lot of air - if the stagnant air is recirculated, it could shorten bulb life.

That said, people use these projectors in 100+ temps, and whether the bulb lasts 2000hrs or 5000 is still pretty random. As long as you can ensure clean, cool air is being drawn into the projector...i think it will be fine.
post #4 of 10 Old 10-09-2012, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.

The cabinet will be mounted on the wall so it's not possible to open up the back....

Hm, annoying! Like you said, it might work, maybe even probably but i guess i'll have to go with the smaller screen.
post #5 of 10 Old 10-09-2012, 05:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I think at worst you might just need a fan to introduce cool air towards the intake of the projector. You might end up with a stagnant zone around the projector where it recycles its already heated air to some extent. A little outside airflow will fix that right up.

But that's worst case scenario. I'd have to guess it'll do ok in the cabinet with the exhaust out the front.
post #6 of 10 Old 10-09-2012, 06:01 PM

Liked: 13
i didn;t realize the cabinet would be elevated. you are planning something like this?
i can;t read japanese

I'm just guessing at the setup.. you could invert the projector on some narrow rails attached ot the shelf, or use a mount like this:
http://www.amazon.com/PCMD-Projector-Ceiling-Mount-H5360/dp/B0041BYJHY/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1349830525&sr=1-1&keywords=5360+mount

if you put a few large (10cm) holes across the back for cable access, i think that will pull enough air. just make sure if you have any other compnents in the cabinet, they aren;t sending heat to the projector. also, i was incorrect the intakes are only on the sides.
post #7 of 10 Old 10-10-2012, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Aha!!! That japanese setup looks very promising.

I'm planning to have the projector on the bottom shelf so i cut two holes in the left side of the cabinet, leading into the next one. Plan is to open the doors to that one if more air is needed. If that's still not enough i could try your suggested method of raising the projector and creating airflow from underneath.

Ok, that does it 108" screen it is.

Thanks for all the help, really appreciate it. I'll post back to report how things went.
post #8 of 10 Old 10-10-2012, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I've been using my H5360BD in a similarly tight space for the past year. If the projector is struggling with heat you'll know it because the fan will speed up and you'll hear it. Only a couple times this past summer did my projector seem to be getting too hot. The vast majority of the time the projector runs seemingly cool with the fan at a whisper.
post #9 of 10 Old 10-11-2012, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

That's good news. Have you noticed a pattern to when the fans start working harder (long movies etc)?
post #10 of 10 Old 10-11-2012, 11:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by havaji View Post

Have you noticed a pattern to when the fans start working harder (long movies etc)?

Only room temperature seems to matter. If the room is at a comfortable temperature, I can (and have many times) run the projector for hours upon hours without the fan speeding up.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page