Family Room Projector (should/can I ambient light and cost questions) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 10-08-2012, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I have a old 56" DLP which I love but its just not big enough.
I sit 12-13 feet away from my TV and I really would love to get a 100" screen.

Like I said I am planning on doing this for my family room so it will be the main TV.
I am so new to this though... I am very concerned about ambeint light all my blinds are shut 24/7 (along with blackout curtains) but some light sneaks in at the top and bottom and from other rooms. Which is no big deal. The main problem is on on occasion because it is a family room I turn a floor lamp on. How bad will this be.

Projector I have been looking at:
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 5010
BenQ W7000

Lastly what about costs.... I have to have a pull down screen because of there the screen would be. So how much does screens actually cost... I keep seeing screen on amazon for like $4000... screens can't REALLY cost that much can they? And is that what I need?

Also what other costs am I not considering... like the mount? cabling?

If I can answer any questions about the light take pictures whatever... let me know.

Thanks a lot for your help in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-08-2012, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 32
We don't know how much ambient light you're talking about, but the room needs to be reasonably dark for any projector to look good. And having a floor lamp on is not good either. The light will shine on the screen, washing out the image. From what you're describing, I would not recommend a projector for you. Buy the largest TV you can afford.
post #3 of 5 Old 10-08-2012, 11:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
I'm using a Epson 6010, (basically the same as a 5010). I sometimes run a 60w light that's app 15' from my pj screen, which is 126" 1.3 gain. True it will wash out the blacks a bit, but even in ECO mode, it's still a great picture with some ambient light in the room, (I have white walls). This pj is very bright and can handle some ambient light pretty well, so np during the super bowl parties where you need some light while entertaining. Link to some insights to screens and this pj with some ambient shots.
http://www.projectorreviews.com/epson/home-cinema-5010/screens.php

I'd expect to spend a few hundred on a good screen. Paid $900 for my fixed several years ago. A Vutec brite white. You can spend several thousands on 'em, but I don't think you'll need to spend more than a few hundred these days for a decent screen.
http://www.projectorreviews.com/1080p-projector/screens.php

Another thing to consider, most pj's aren't meant to be operated like a family room tv might. Turning them on and off repeatedly puts more wear on the bulbs resulting in less lamp life. Something to consider if you have the kiddies operating the tv.

Mounts can be had for little over $100, or make your own. The 6010 actually comes with a mount, extra bulb, and 2 pair of glasses. I seen where someone used a satellite dish arm smile.gif Turned out pretty well actually. Some cables from monoprice, redmere the best, but costs a little more, or some 22 awg if you going over 15' in length. Consider 3d glasses if you want to try that out. Bestbuy has had the playstation glasses on sale sometimes for around $40 or less. Work fine with the Epson. Pretty good deal. Otherwise looking at around $90 for glasses from Epson.

The Benq is a nice pj, but I think if ambient light is a consideration, the Epson might be a little better in that regard.
post #4 of 5 Old 10-09-2012, 04:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Doesn't sound like you will have outside light issues with blackout curtains. But I would recommend using lighting you can point away from the screen. I installed track lighting on the ceiling (with an IR-controlled dimmer switch), pointed the lights away from the screen, and it works great. Sure when the lights are cranked up it compromises the picture but when they are dim, it works great. And I can use my Harmony remote to turn the lights up or down.

I bought a manual pull-down 106" 1.0-gain white screen for $175 shipped (on clearance) and it looks great to me, and everyone else who has seen my setup. I always figured I would upgrade at some point but so far (1.5 years in) I haven't seen a reason to upgrade. BTW I have an Epson 8700UB.

One other consideration: I have a 55" TV on the wall that we use for casual TV watching. If you don't care about bulb cost you can use the projector for all TV viewing but it could get pricey depending on how much TV you watch. And everyone needs to be OK with watching TV in fairly dim conditions. My wife hates watching normal TV shows in the dark...we generally only watch movies on the projector as she is OK with the dark for movies.
post #5 of 5 Old 10-09-2012, 05:34 PM

Just my suggestion...but we are in a similar situation...we have two large windows closed with curtains shut all the time and we use an LED projector. During the day there is a fair amount of ambient light from the dining room bay window that flows in and it doesn't terribly hinder the picture quality. It's not ideal...but I can still see the picture (except really dark scenes). LED projector gets used 10 hours a day...no issue with bulb life. Our projector is about 15ft back from the opposing wall and projecting roughly a 140" picture. I would look at LEDs myself...but that is just my opinion.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page