Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 10-09-2012, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Hey Guys,

Saw this at CEDIA. It's not yet released but definitely worth checking out. For all those wanting to project big but having issues with brightness, this could be a great solution. This processor also allows for Passive 3D viewing and your choice of glasses. This also can help or add de-warping issues with curved screens. Or for all those wishing to have curved screens using a 16:9 screen, you can using the processor. These are pretty much all the main features of the processors.

http://www.airflex5d.com/

Get all your A/V News at: AVS Latest News

Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forums on Twitter

AVSForum
Bringing the AV Community Together
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-09-2012, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Uhmmm -yeah nice. $4000 - $5000 depending on the model. Seems like this product would be more at home in the Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+) forum. smile.gif

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #3 of 10 Old 10-09-2012, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

Uhmmm -yeah nice. $4000 - $5000 depending on the model. Seems like this product would be more at home in the Ultra Hi-End HT Gear ($20,000+) forum. smile.gif

This was not meant to be in the $3000+ section. Airflex5D was designed to compete with the higher end models and offer an alternative solution to those who can't afford a 6000$ high output projector. With one of these processors and 2 entry-level PJ's, you can stack and double your lumens output. Now depending on the projector you use, yes it can go beyond 3K$ or it can go below. They have different processors depending on what you want to do, 3D included. For simple stacking, it is supposed to be much cheaper.

AVSForum
post #4 of 10 Old 10-09-2012, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by e39mofo View Post

This was not meant to be in the $3000+ section. Airflex5D was designed to compete with the higher end models and offer an alternative solution to those who can't afford a 6000$ high output projector. With one of these processors and 2 entry-level PJ's, you can stack and double your lumens output. Now depending on the projector you use, yes it can go beyond 3K$ or it can go below. They have different processors depending on what you want to do, 3D included. For simple stacking, it is supposed to be much cheaper.

You miss my point. Most of the posters in this forum struggle with the decision of whether to purchase a $1500 or less projector...although a few are fine going up to near $3000. Generally people are not looking for solutions for stacking projectors - they're just looking for a good dependable projector.

I'm sure the Airflex5D is a wonderful device but people with the means to buy multiple projectors to use with this are more likely to be found in the $3000+ and Ultra High gear forums. Even buying two Epson 8350 (~$1200) projectors equals $2400 plus $4000 or $5000 exceeds the cost of a $6000 high output projector.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #5 of 10 Old 10-09-2012, 04:20 PM

Liked: 10
Not snarking on the first post, but couldn't you manage the stacking setup with an ordinary $25 HDMI splitter? (And also a bunch of fiddling with keystone and vertical shift to get the images to match up.) What is the difference between using an Airflex or a cheap HDMI splitter?

-Erik
post #6 of 10 Old 10-11-2012, 05:03 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikH2000 View Post

Not snarking on the first post, but couldn't you manage the stacking setup with an ordinary $25 HDMI splitter? (And also a bunch of fiddling with keystone and vertical shift to get the images to match up.) What is the difference between using an Airflex or a cheap HDMI splitter?
-Erik

Very good question, and I contacted Airflex5D to find that out. Here's what they responded:

"Without the assistance of a stacking processor, it is virtually impossible to precisely align two or more projectors pixel by pixel into one single display. Numerous factors from variable lens placement to specific pixel misalignment will create a blurry image with shadows and ghosting that is unpleasant and may even cause physical disorientation and discomfort to the viewer."

AVSForum
post #7 of 10 Old 10-11-2012, 09:05 AM

Liked: 11
He did without a stacking processor to increase the brightness for 3D:
http://www.hifi-forum.de/bild/dscf2254_188590.html
He is very satisfied with the results.
post #8 of 10 Old 10-11-2012, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
So, not that much difference really.

My older VPL-HW15 allows panel alignment very much like my old CRT days. I did stacks and blends with CRT. I can see this being quite simple with a PJ that has the panel alignment feature.
post #9 of 10 Old 10-11-2012, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Interesting, but nonetheless, not an easy task.

When I asked them how the stacking was done, they mentioned that you didn't have to stack only vertically, but can also horizontally which is great.

The MSRP stacking processor for stacking two residential projectors is 1599$ which isn't that bad. What Mr.G might have seen early was the more expensive versions where you can stack 4 projectors together and allow for passive 3D.

I still think that it's a great alternative. I already don't have that much time to spend on working my system, I try and keep sometime for watching movies with my fam. This is an additional cost, and for anyone who's looking for a quick solution, I think I would do it that way before trying to align pixel per pixel which I find it quite impossible to do properly in less you have a lot of time to spend. I would trust more a processor than someone trying to eye'it.

AVSForum
post #10 of 10 Old 10-11-2012, 10:06 PM

Liked: 10
I see the processing equipment's value. Yet, it's really tantalizing to DIY it. Especially, when I've got 3 Optomas over here and they display a simple grid outline for a test pattern. The first thing I'd try is stacking them flat on top of each other and just using vertical shift, and hopefully that would be enough to sync. If none of the projectors need to be tilted at an angle, then the synchronizing of pixels should be pretty easy. If you've got to tilt one, then there's keystone correction to add into the mix, which might be too much futzing. And I think with either DIY setup or processing equipment, the mount has got to be really snug and jostle-resistant or you'd go crazy with the images going out of sync.

But that's all speculation. Maybe when I've got a little more time, I'll try it.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page