Sharp xv-h35u - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-12-2012, 12:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have never owned a projector before, and can't afford anything over 500 dollars. I have a chance to buy a Sharp xv-h35u for 300 dollars. Do you think that's a good deal? Or is it just too old?

Thanks!
-Carl-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-12-2012, 01:04 AM

Liked: 13
Hello and welcome to AVS.. you found a great site with more information than you could ever need!

That Sharp is way too old and way too much. if its anything like the 37 it belongs in a museum.. or the trash. with the price of bulbs, improvements in picture, warranty, modern inputs etc... used projectors more than a few years old are rarely a good deal. That Sharp 35 is over 10!

it would help to know your current equipment, room, etc. if you are new to projectors, where did you get the idea? have you seen a home theater ? some comparisons would be helpful.. take the time to find out what you need . there's a lot to get into with DLP/LCD, cables, sound system, screen options.

there's some decent 720p projectors with ~500 hrs on the bulb (they say) going for under 200 on ebay..but most are worse than entry level projectors you can buy new.

If you just want to dive in, you can get current 720p DLP projectors for $420 if you wait for the sale.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009223 will give you a good picture sure to impress (until you get the upgrade bug) smile.gif
post #3 of 4 Old 10-12-2012, 01:27 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Im having some friends over Sunday to watch some Brazilian JiuJitsu fights, streaming over the internet. I borrowed a buddies Epson PowerLite 76c, to hook up to my laptop. I just tested it today. Popped Cinderella in my laptop, aimed it at a big white wall, and the kids thought it was the coolest thing ever.

I just kinda fell in love with the concept. I have a nice huge area downstairs, with a drop ceiling, that I think would be perfect. I dont have much existing equipment. This isnt something I can invest much in. But if I can get something fun for a few hundred bucks, Id like to. smile.gif
post #4 of 4 Old 10-12-2012, 02:00 AM

Liked: 13
That's pretty much how i started in 2005. Infocus screenplay 5000, HItachi Pj-TX100, Sharp DT-510, Viewsonic Pro8100 (for 1080p) Acer H5360 (for 3D) but i prefer to stay a little behind the curve buying last year's closeouts for under $1k. It's really amazing how much projectors have improved, and get cheaper every year.

Anyway, for 420 for projector, 30 for 25' HDMI cable, 50 for a 48x85 poplar and black-out-cloth screen, built or bought mount and maybe xbox 360, cable box, bluray or even a $35 Sony SMP-N200 streamer for netflix/usb movies and a 5.1 receiver. .for the cost of a 55" lcd you can have something that pretty much looks as good but 4x the size.

i bought some material from this company for a 7x12 outdoor screen. if you aren't into the DIY route, they do sell screens. Cheap pulldowns are under 100 from lots of places but i have no idea of the quality.

I mean, all you really need is the projector,screen, laptop and cables to start. rig up whatever boombox stereo you need to for sound, and add to the setup as you can. be warned tho.. you will smile.gif
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page