Official Epson Home Cinema 3020 Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 1112 Old 01-05-2013, 01:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
[quote name="racprops" url="/t/1433899/
Do any of you with Epson 3020s have the LCD Alignment setting??
It is located in: Extended/LCD Align.
And allows you to adjust the convergence using a grid pattern.
It is a feature in the 5020 but not the 3020, and both manuals show that, 3020 no 5020 yes.
So either I bought a 3020 with a 5020 mother board OR Epson is playing software games...

Rich[/quote]

My new 3020 also has the LCD alignment enabled right out-of-the-box - this was a real surprise. This feature isn't supposed to be available in the 3020 - unless Epson decided to simply make it available after their manuals and promo material were published.

This feature was always available in a hidden menu that you could enable changing a dip switch, which would simply turn on a feature that Epson had blocked out. I don't think Epson is playing a "software game" by not including it. First, the projector is a basic entry level model. It would seem that they were keeping it simple as their cheapest 3D capable 1080p projector. Certain tweaks that more advanced users might want to play with were likely reserved for the higher end models costing considerably more. As they say, you only get what you pay for . . . and I think that Epson has really done a great job with what's offered with the 3020. I have a 5010 from last year (great projector) . . . but I don't think that the picture quality of the 3020 is inferior to my 5020 - it's quite comparable after setting it up and doing the pixel alignment.

Ian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1112 Old 01-05-2013, 02:08 PM

Liked: 10
Hi, I purchased the 3020 just before Christmas ( already have a 8350) During first use watching Avatar 3D after the movie was almost over the unit shut down with both red lights on. I unplugged it and turned it back on a while later and it worked ok. Have watched several more movies since and it has not happened again. Everything else looks good to me... Would you suggest exchanging it? I have several weeks left to return it to BB.
just wondering if that error means something is definitely wrong internally.
thanks for any advise to a first time poster.
post #273 of 1112 Old 01-05-2013, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Thanks teeger..

Rich

post #274 of 1112 Old 01-05-2013, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy2004 View Post

Hi, I purchased the 3020 just before Christmas ( already have a 8350) During first use watching Avatar 3D after the movie was almost over the unit shut down with both red lights on. I unplugged it and turned it back on a while later and it worked ok. Have watched several more movies since and it has not happened again. Everything else looks good to me... Would you suggest exchanging it? I have several weeks left to return it to BB.
just wondering if that error means something is definitely wrong internally.
thanks for any advise to a first time poster.

Hi, Lindy . . .

Having a new unit shut down as yours did would concern me. Maybe you might want to contact Epson service by phone and tell them what happened - they might have a suggestion, which might include sending you a new replacement. Epson service is fantastic, and they like to take good care of their clients.

Were you watching Avatar 3D? If so, try watching another 3D movie. If you have been watching 2D movies since without having a problem, then maybe the issue is the with 3D drive engine?

Again, talking with Epson is something I'd recommend. They might give you an "incident number" so that if you have problems again in a month or two, they can look up your history . . . at least they will see that it's something you reported when the unit was brand new.

Good luck!

Ian
post #275 of 1112 Old 01-05-2013, 02:35 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by racprops View Post

I have the same problem.
Epson tech support said they only test 15 foot HDMI cables...
I think that is very short sighted (pun Intended) for everyone will be at least 12 feet away from their screen
I am adding a booster.
ALSO:
Do any of you with Epson 3020s have the LCD Alignment setting??
It is located in: Extended/LCD Align.
And allows you to adjust the convergence using a grid pattern.
It is a feature in the 5020 but not the 3020, and both manuals show that, 3020 no 5020 yes.
So either I bought a 3020 with a 5020 mother board OR Epson is playing software games...
That is all models have the same features, they just do not turn them on in the lower priced models.
Canon cameras do that I have a low priced model that was hacked and the extra features are turned on...
I lean towards the software mistake as I do not have frame interpolation, a feature of the 5020.
Maybe someone can hack these projectors and turn on all the features??
Rich

You're right. I have LCD alignment that's not mentioned in the manual. I do recall reading on one of the threads that it was enabled after a firmware update but don't remember if it was on a 3020 or 3010 thread. I'm monitoring a few 3010 threads; if they find a way to turn on FI, that would be cool.

HD DVD = 64
Blu-Ray = 171
Blu-Ray 3D = 10
SDVD = 585
post #276 of 1112 Old 01-05-2013, 02:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeger View Post

Hi, Lindy . . .
Having a new unit shut down as yours did would concern me. Maybe you might want to contact Epson service by phone and tell them what happened - they might have a suggestion, which might include sending you a new replacement. Epson service is fantastic, and they like to take good care of their clients.
Were you watching Avatar 3D? If so, try watching another 3D movie. If you have been watching 2D movies since without having a problem, then maybe the issue is the with 3D drive engine?
Again, talking with Epson is something I'd recommend. They might give you an "incident number" so that if you have problems again in a month or two, they can look up your history . . . at least they will see that it's something you reported when the unit was brand new.
Good luck!
Ian
Quote:

Hi, Lindy . . .
Good luck!
Ian

I'm with Ian. Page 79 in the manual - 2 flashing red, unplug it and call Epson.

HD DVD = 64
Blu-Ray = 171
Blu-Ray 3D = 10
SDVD = 585
post #277 of 1112 Old 01-05-2013, 02:40 PM
Advanced Member

Curious if anyone has watched the Total Recall reboot and have the sound drop out at times?

HD DVD = 64
Blu-Ray = 171
Blu-Ray 3D = 10
SDVD = 585
post #278 of 1112 Old 01-05-2013, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
There is an issue with the sound, reported by lots of people., I think changing the output to either bitstream, or pcm, cant remember, helped.
post #279 of 1112 Old 01-06-2013, 12:07 AM

" I don't think Epson is playing a "software game" by not including it. First, the projector is a basic entry level model. It would seem that they were keeping it simple as their cheapest 3D capable 1080p projector. Certain tweaks that more advanced users might want to play with were likely reserved for the higher end models costing considerably more. As they say, you only get what you pay for . ."

Well at $1600.00 I kind of feel it is not basic entry level projector, a $300.00 to $500.00 projector is basic level...

I always feel a little cheated when a company makes a product with certain features hidden from lower price versions but working on higher price models.

It is kind of why not make it as good as you can right from the start??

I wonder what other deluxe features might be hidden from our eyes?

Now if someone could find the setting to turn on frame interpolation and other than the lens shifting of the 5020, we would all have near 5020s...

Wonder if the THX setting is also in there...?

At least I can relax if it fails and I have to either return it or get a replacement...I now know how to get the adjustment feature back thanks to this site.

post #280 of 1112 Old 01-06-2013, 06:40 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

The projector will start to show a count after 10 hrs. of use. This is so that after the unit is manufactured and tested, it will reach the consumer showing that it's still new with no use. There is a secret menu in the project that will show your 5 hrs. of use - even though the menu available to the consumer doesn't display a time count until it reaches 10 hrs.
Hope this helps.
Ian
Ours started to count immediately.Noticed it after 2 hrs or so.@ 70+ hrs now.biggrin.gif
post #281 of 1112 Old 01-06-2013, 06:49 AM
Advanced Member

Someone over in the 3010 thread posted their Geek Squad calibration settings if you want to try them.

HD DVD = 64
Blu-Ray = 171
Blu-Ray 3D = 10
SDVD = 585
post #282 of 1112 Old 01-06-2013, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by racprops View Post

Well at $1600.00 I kind of feel it is not basic entry level projector, a $300.00 to $500.00 projector is basic level...

It could be considered Epsons home theater "entry" pj, ahead of their 5010/20 and the 6010/20's. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a pj in the $300-$500 range that has the capabilities and image this "entry" pj has.
post #283 of 1112 Old 01-06-2013, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnabq View Post

It could be considered Epsons home theater "entry" pj, ahead of their 5010/20 and the 6010/20's. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a pj in the $300-$500 range that has the capabilities and image this "entry" pj has.

Well said . . . the 3020 being Epson's cheapest 1080p (with 3D capabilities) is a remarkable buy! Only a few years ago, a half-decent 1080p projector was in the neighborhood of $5,000.00.

I also have last year's 5010. And although the blacks are deeper - they aren't that much deeper. The image quality from this unit rivals my 5010, and surpasses it in some ways. As for the 3020, the color out-of-the-box is definitely improved over what the 5010 offers. I was surprised that my 3020 has the "Super Resolution" feature. Last year the 3010 didn't include "Super Resolution". This feature, to me at least, makes the projected image "pop". Using it certainly suggests a more defined / detailed image - which I really like.

One of the on-line reviews for the 3020 mentions a little trick that some might like. If you want a bit more pop from your projected image - try changing the Gama curve from the default 2.2 to 2.3 or 2.4. With my set up, I find that changing the Gamma to 2.4 gives the impression of a higher contrast image - making it look pretty darned close to what I get from my 5010.

Other than lacking lens shift, the only big feature missing with the 3020 is CFI (frame interpolation). For some this missing feature might be a deal-breaker - but I have it turned off on my 5010; so not having it included on the 3020 suits me fine, because I don't like the "soap opera" look of video looking too fluid when it's applied.

Some reviewers consider the 3020 a "home video projector" not a true "home cinema projector", which I find this is a little perplexing since the image from the 3020, when set up properly, is stunning. I don't have my two units sitting side-by-side to do an A/B test . . . but unless I was told which unit was projecting I wouldn't know if it was my 3020 or my 5010 - the brightness and quality of image would be too close to tell. Although the 5010 has a Fujinon lens and a "cinema filter" built in, I don't see that the quality of the lens / optics of my 3020 is lesser than the 5010.

If someone wanted to build themselves a kick-ass 3D home theater, they would be well served buying the less expensive 3020 over a more expensive Epson and putting the extra $$$ into some serious audio to complete their system. There as some who will need the lens shift, for sure, but if you don't, I think the 3020 offers a bunch of great features and sterling performance to boot!

Everyone has different wants and needs . . . for me the quality and value packed into the 3020 is amazing.

Ian
hiperco likes this.
post #284 of 1112 Old 01-06-2013, 06:20 PM

Having had my 3020 for a couple of days as it replaced a 3010 that I had for a couple of weeks so I totally agree about the picture.

Both have great 2D pictures...I am still just blown away by the brightness and color and sharpness.

And how much better the 3020 is over the 3010.

I did find the 3D on the 3010 bothersome, and fear it is me, so jumping up to the 3020 was the best way to give 3D a real try.

I figured that if still have problems with 3D it has to be me not the projector.

At least with the 3020 I have all the adjustment tools to make the 3D image as best to my eyes as possible.

So far I like it, watched Green Lantern in cable S by S, Jur. 2 Mysterious Island, S by S, Prometheus in true 3D with a 3D Sony Blu-Ray player after I got the HDMI cables worked out.

So far other that my "seeing" the flat images in multi-layers some of the time, I really seem to like 3D.

I plan on watching a lot more so I can figure out if I can/will stay with 3D.

post #285 of 1112 Old 01-07-2013, 05:05 AM

Considering extra features like THX and frame interpolation:

I figure there is a few ways this could happen:

One Epson has a complete full feature mother board made; this often is cheaper and allows them to make all models from one board.

Two Epson has the same mother board, but in the cases of the different model certain ICs are left off or mounted as needed for each model, this raises costs and means that if the need for more deluxe models is called for then they have to order more made.

We already know the LCD alignment is most of the time, a hidden feature on the 3010 and 3020s and normal for the 5010 and 5020s.

And we have been shown that the software switches will turn on the LCD alignment but seem to not turn on any other features.

So that leaves only way to find out more: That is to open a 3020 and a 6020 ( a 3010 vs. 6010/5010 would work..I think) and look. Compare the main boards.

I think we will than see either missing chips for the extra features IE. For frame interpolation and THX.

OR perhaps some manual dip switches or jumpers (like used on many older computer mother boards.)

We might then see which switchs or jumpers to change on in our 3020s to turn on these extra features if they all have the same boards.

Just thinking…

post #286 of 1112 Old 01-07-2013, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloForce View Post

It should remain at Zero. Unless your screen size is adjusted. When you select your screen size the ADJUSTMENT will change accordingly.
You shouldn't have a problem with A LOT of ghosting. You might not have a DEFECTIVE UNIT - BUT - A unit that is not 100% accurate.
I would call up EPSON. Tell them your machine has very bad ghosting...you can either exchange it where you purchased it, or BY GIVING EPSON
your CREDIT CARD info to EPSON so they can put a HOLD on MONEY. They will send you one ASAP within 1 -2 days.
Check that unit out. Be thorough. Then decide if it's the unit, or is it just a NORM with the same movie.
I have found the GHOSTING on this unit to be less, if not NONE. Then most of the other models I have examined.
iMIKE THEATRE

I called EPSON and they sent me a replacement unit the next day. This new unit certainly takes care of all the excessive 3D ghosting issues I had. In fact, ghosting is pretty much nonexistent on this replacement unit!

As an FYI, this is the third 3020 unit Ive received and all of them have had the LCD alignment option in the menu.
post #287 of 1112 Old 01-07-2013, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngwest36 View Post

I'm with Ian. Page 79 in the manual - 2 flashing red, unplug it and call Epson.

I had the exact same problem with a brand new epson 3020, two weeks ago. I was watching the pirate of the caribbeans and it stopped, all of a sudden, right after the beginning. The two lights were flashing red (internal error, according to the manual) so I unplugged the projector, waited a couple of minutes and restarted it. Same problem happened, almost at the same spot of the movie. I unplugged the projector for the night and, the day after, it was working great. However, I returned it at the reseller and they gave me a brand new unit. So far so good.

I wish this is not a common problem, as the picture quality of this projector is blowing me away and I would really like to keep it! But if it comes back again, I'll be done with that model...
post #288 of 1112 Old 01-07-2013, 11:36 AM
exm
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quick questions. As you can read above, I swapped a 1080UB for a 3020. The 3020 is much, much brighter but I have a feeling it isn't nearly as sharp (detailed?) as the 1080UB, even after using various calibration options that I've found. Granted, the 1080UB was a lot dimmer, but I almost have a feeling there's something wrong with my 3020. Any tips to increase the level of detailing on the 3020 and is it possible I have a defective unit?
post #289 of 1112 Old 01-07-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post

Quick questions. As you can read above, I swapped a 1080UB for a 3020. The 3020 is much, much brighter but I have a feeling it isn't nearly as sharp (detailed?) as the 1080UB, even after using various calibration options that I've found. Granted, the 1080UB was a lot dimmer, but I almost have a feeling there's something wrong with my 3020. Any tips to increase the level of detailing on the 3020 and is it possible I have a defective unit?

My first 3020 unit wasn't able to sharply focus. At first I thought maybe that's just how it is, but after reading the reviews I knew something had to be wrong. I had the unit ceiling mounted, so just out of curiosity I tried floor mounting the unit and to my surprise, I was able to focus a crisp sharp image. Received a replacement unit from EPSON (best customer service, received next day) the ceiling mounted focus issue is gone. I've also noticed that with my setup I get a sharper, more crisp picture using ECO mode in cinema since this thing produces so much light. I also have super resolution set to 3.
post #290 of 1112 Old 01-07-2013, 01:21 PM
exm
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserob View Post

My first 3020 unit wasn't able to sharply focus. At first I thought maybe that's just how it is, but after reading the reviews I knew something had to be wrong. I had the unit ceiling mounted, so just out of curiosity I tried floor mounting the unit and to my surprise, I was able to focus a crisp sharp image. Received a replacement unit from EPSON (best customer service, received next day) the ceiling mounted focus issue is gone. I've also noticed that with my setup I get a sharper, more crisp picture using ECO mode in cinema since this thing produces so much light. I also have super resolution set to 3.

Thanks. Mine is also ceiling mounted, so I'll give floor mount a try for sure!
post #291 of 1112 Old 01-07-2013, 01:42 PM

Interesting about the LCD Adjustment being on...

And interesting about the many problems these can have...

Rich

post #292 of 1112 Old 01-08-2013, 06:51 AM
exm
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So with the projector still ceiling mounted, I changed the output from from front-ceiling to front and to be honest it was hard to tell of any difference. Obviously the mind start playing tricks with an 'upside down' image smile.gif

Maybe I'll give Epson a call and see what they say.
post #293 of 1112 Old 01-08-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:

So with the projector still ceiling mounted, I changed the output from from front-ceiling to front and to be honest it was hard to tell of any difference. Obviously the mind start playing tricks with an 'upside down' image smile.gif
Maybe I'll give Epson a call and see what they say.

I actually meant to physically flip the projector and put it on a low table. That's when I saw the difference, not just through software settings.
post #294 of 1112 Old 01-08-2013, 02:02 PM
exm
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I actually meant to physically flip the projector and put it on a low table. That's when I saw the difference, not just through software settings.

So you left the setting at 'ceiling front'?
post #295 of 1112 Old 01-08-2013, 05:03 PM

Quote:

So you left the setting at 'ceiling front'?

No I set it up normally low from a table and fixed to fit my screen. I immediately saw a sharpness difference once focused.
post #296 of 1112 Old 01-08-2013, 05:56 PM

Hey All,

Blackout here. Have't checked in for a while but I bit am in the unique situation of having both the Epson 8350 and the 3020.

First off, I have used the Epson 8350 for a year now as a pro rental projector and it has always stunned people and it has a way better lens than the 3020. I LIKE that it is a huge monster box. The 3020 looks like a toy in comparison and has no lens controls or shift - just crappy digital keystone correction.

It's my opinion that 2d blu-rays look way better on the 8350. The colors are more accurate and the whites are not as hot.

That being said - the few good 3D titles on the 3020 are mind blowing. I was especially floored by the IMAX Under the Sea. It was so incredible it looked like real film because the 3D overlap just completely eliminates any pixels even if you are sitting fairly close to the screen .

On 2D movies you can use this feature called super res to have a similar effect... I'm not quite sure yet what it does I'lll have to play with it. My computer monitor looks better (sharper text) on the 8350 for sure than the 3020 and 2D blu-ray movies look a little too video-y too me if you know what I mean. Hot whites that tend toward that electronic blue. This leaves me with the difficult decision of to keep it or not as really there are only a handful off 3D movies and I popped close to 2 grand buying a 3D graphics card, 3D stand alone blue ray player and the projector and a few movies for what is an awesome novelty but in my opinion not as cinematic on regular non 3D blue rays. Truly awesome show stopper but is it worth it for a handful of titles? Not sure yet and I have 28 more days to make up my mind and return it if I don't think so.

I have the EVO V 4G which is a slighty beefed up Evo 3D and I'll tell you the projector even played the movies from that and they were fairly good! only 720p but couldn't believe a phone could do such good quality 3D...

To keep or return.... and if I keep it..do I sell the 8350....? oh decisions decisions...

The one thing I really like about this projector is that unlike all the flat screens - which seem to only go in - this thing really POPPED out like 10 feet from the screen.. it looked like a big old fish was swimming across my coffee table and guests will freak out. I never saw any good 3D on screen tvs.

- Blackout

One more thing... I looked to buy two more glasses and can't find them and the ones I am finding are $100 a pop! Seriously? Anyone find better?

Michael Biggins AKA Blackout
actor/writer/director/editor/comedian/ferret wrangler
Blackout's Box Studios - NYC -FLORIDA - LA
877-9-BLACKOUT
http://facebook.com/blackout
http://blackout.com
http://youtube.com/BlackoutsBox
http://youtube.com/TrumpetDinopup
http://blackoutsblog.com
http://vimeo.com/micha...
post #297 of 1112 Old 01-08-2013, 08:14 PM

Liked: 12
It's SoloForce again.

I posted some CALIBRATION SETTINGS I've done to my 3020 For LIVING ROOM MODE,
and have gotten a lot of response for them, and also my home theatre. THANKS.

As I have mentioned "I'm REALLY PICKY"

But I've noticed that doing a CALIBRATION in 3D MODE
is IMPOSSIBLE WITHOUT a BLU-RAY 3D DISC made for CALIBRATION.

The settings your projector goes into when it is playing a 3D Blu-ray is different
then when your CONVERTING it into 3D MODE, or USING SIDE BY SIDE etc...

So I have managed to make a FILE that uses the SIDE BY SIDE feature.

And along with the BLUE FILTER i received when I purchased the Disney WOW Calibration DISC.
I was able to calibrate SIDE BY SIDE MODE.

BUT IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO CALIBRATE AUTO 3D without a 3D Blu-Ray Disc.
With some calibration patterns. And All the discs I've checked only have limited options.

SO MY PICKY-Self MADE ONE....and I'm in the process of UPLOADING it to a server,
and hopefully I can post the links here...very...very...soon.

I will upload an .MKV files FOR SideBySide Mode.

And I will upload an .ISO file.

If you have a BLU-RAY Burner. You can simply burn the .iso and play it through your 3D Blu-Ray Player.

Along with my disc.
If you have the BLUE FILTER (From the Disney WOW disc) Or other (Blue/Red 3D Glasses won't work)
You can adjust your COLOUR SATURATION, AND TINT.
Which seems to be a problem with the AUTO 3D mode on the 3020 for many good reasons.

When the disc is played in your 3D Blu-Ray Player your Machine and Projector will recognize it,
and AUTO into 3D mode. Your Shutter Glasses will also start to work.
Even THO the image appears to be 2D only. Trust me. It's an Authentic Authored 3D Blu-Ray by ME.

I've been a FILM geek since I was 7. I film and edit in 3D now a days.

I've used it. I'm happy as a pig in mud right now. FINALLY!!!

In the mean time. While it's uploading. Does anyone know if its allowed to post EXTERNAL LINKS to Netload Servers?

Stay Tuned.....

PS: I will also post my settings for my finalized AUTO 3D Calibration. And If possible SBS Calibration.

iMIKE THEATRE
post #298 of 1112 Old 01-08-2013, 08:32 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackoutsBox View Post

One more thing... I looked to buy two more glasses and can't find them and the ones I am finding are $100 a pop! Seriously? Anyone find better?

Check the Samsung SSG-4100GB for 20$ or SSG-3550CR for 40$ but rechargeable. Easy to find on ebay with free shipping.
post #299 of 1112 Old 01-08-2013, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmiCron07 View Post

Check the Samsung SSG-4100GB for 20$ or SSG-3550CR for 40$ but rechargeable. Easy to find on ebay with free shipping.

I really like the Panasonic TY-ER3D4MU glasses that I found on Amazon for $58. Still expensive but I actually find them a little more comfy than the Epson glasses and they are rechargeable as well.
post #300 of 1112 Old 01-08-2013, 11:48 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hi guys. I was reading the thread and some guys mentioned they weren't able to focus the projector sharply. Is there any way to test how sharp the picture should be? I have a 100 inch screen and I set approx 12 feet away from it. I have extremely good eyes but I feel the imagine should be a tiny pinch sharper.

Any ideas on the best way to test it? Is focus something you eyeball? This is my first projector so I'm not sure.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson , Epson Projector , Epson V11h501020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020 2d And 3d Home Theater Projector , Epson V11h502020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020e 2d And 3d 1080p Wireless Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread - V11h501020 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page