AVS Forum banner
208K views 1K replies 242 participants last post by  Nasmo_Q 
#1 ·
Just installed my Epson 3020 and couldn't be happier. My first projector project and everything went according to plan. The picture is bright and colorful on a big 130" screen. The 3D is surprisingly good as well. Just wanted to open this up as I haven't seen many posts on this new model yet. If anyone has any questions about menus, features or installation let me know. I'll try to post some photos soon.

#252 ·
Decided to go with the Epson as my first projector.Picked it up on Thursday for a great deal.(1248.00$ Cdn.)Installed it Friday afternoon.Now I currently use a Sharp 70-632U and I thought that screen was big
Also grabbed a 106" screen and all I can say is WOW!!!!!
.The wifey and I have put 35 hours on it since Friday night,lol.This projector is awesome I must say.The only option I would of liked to see on the Epson would of been Lens shift,but being my first projector I don't really know how important it would be.Well two thumbs up for me.

#253 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinja  /t/1433899/just-installed-my-new-epson-home-cinema-3020/240#post_22764729

Decided to go with the Epson as my first projector.Picked it up on Thursday for a great deal.(1248.00$ Cdn.)Installed it Friday afternoon.Now I currently use a Sharp 70-632U and I thought that screen was big
Also grabbed a 106" screen and all I can say is WOW!!!!!
.The wifey and I have put 35 hours on it since Friday night,lol.This projector is awesome I must say.The only option I would of liked to see on the Epson would of been Lens shift,but being my first projector I don't really know how important it would be.Well two thumbs up for me.

I only wish it had frame interpolation. I really notice the judder in slow pans.

#254 ·
I know there are a couple of calibration options listed in this thread. Is anyone aware of any others? I am basically looking for some guidance for daytime TV viewing, and nighttime movie viewing.

#255 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by exm  /t/1433899/just-installed-my-new-epson-home-cinema-3020/240#post_22765677

I know there are a couple of calibration options listed in this thread. Is anyone aware of any others? I am basically looking for some guidance for daytime TV viewing, and nighttime movie viewing.

Not that I've found. Only those two reviews and calibration settings so far.

#257 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by domingos38  /t/1433899/just-installed-my-new-epson-home-cinema-3020/240#post_22766788

will this projector work in my HT

i have 8' ceilings

screen is 118"

does the projector have to be mounted dead center with the screen?

thanks

Yes, it best if it's dead center and level with the top (if ceiling mounted) or bottom (if on a table) of your screen. It has no lens shift, so placement is pretty restrictive; though an inch or two shouldn't matter.

#258 ·
So I've had my 3020 for a few weeks. The more I watch it the more I love it! At first I was disappointed about the black levels, but in reality my room is a major contributor to the problem at the moment (white walls & ceiling). The brightness is amazing, and the 3D is absolutely spectacular, we watched "Hugo" in 3D last night (great!). The lack of lens shift wasn't really an issue, since it was no big deal for me to center the PJ with the screen and align it with the top of the screen. I wall mounted it using a Peerless PRG Series PRG-EXB-W mount. I'm using my vintage Wilsonart Designer White screen for now, but I've got some material samples from Elite that I'll be evaluating.

One problem I am chasing is that occasionally when watching a 3D movie, there will be a burst of static, after which the 3D is messed up (I think the left and right images get swapped). I have to stop the movie and restart to correct the problem. I think the problem lies between the player (PS3) and the receiver, I will be getting a shorter HDMI cable to try.

#259 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngwest36  /t/1433899/just-installed-my-new-epson-home-cinema-3020/240#post_22764690

You are welcome. Let us know how you like it.

Well I picked it up. Set-up was painless, just had to lower it from where the Mits was hanging. Wondering what types of screens others are using and what setting as well? This thing is very bright, Blu-ray looks great, hdtv I find it shows the compression much more than my other. So far so good!

#260 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace27  /t/1433899/just-installed-my-new-epson-home-cinema-3020/240#post_22770367

Well I picked it up. Set-up was painless, just had to lower it from where the Mits was hanging. Wondering what types of screens others are using and what setting as well? This thing is very bright, Blu-ray looks great, hdtv I find it shows the compression much more than my other. So far so good!

I picked up a generic screen from best buy; matte 1:1. Settings are the ones from projectorcentral or projectorreviews, whichever look good to you.

#262 ·
I personally hate frame interpolation so I don't miss it at all. The "judder" is visible in movie theaters as well and is just part of the film process. Maybe I'm used to it, but I'd rather have that little stutter than FI. Every time I see it cranked up on Best Buy TV's I cringe. Yuck.

#263 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doompatrol  /t/1433899/just-installed-my-new-epson-home-cinema-3020/240#post_22782848

I personally hate frame interpolation so I don't miss it at all. The "judder" is visible in movie theaters as well and is just part of the film process. Maybe I'm used to it, but I'd rather have that little stutter than FI. Every time I see it cranked up on Best Buy TV's I cringe. Yuck.
I never noticed it in theaters, hmm. Anyway, a little bit of FI isn't all bad. Too much introduces artifacting around moving objects for me to stand.

#264 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by etoile37  /t/1433899/just-installed-my-new-epson-home-cinema-3020/240#post_22782814

I just bought an Epson 3020 and I noticed the same thing. Are there any settings either on the projector or the blu-ray player that could help fix this or should I just get used to it?

There's nothing in the projector that'll do it. I'm checking docs for my AVR and BR player. My Sony player has an option to turn off BD/DVD-ROM 1080/24p Output. But all it says is "Select this when your TV is not compatible with 1080/24p video signals." Doesn't say what it is putting out if it's not 24p.

#266 ·
Well I made the jump to get a Epson 3020.

After reading about the improved 3D, specially the 2d to 3d convertor.

And with my luck ran into a couple of problems.

First one is this model is very sensitive about single levels, after two 3010,(Both with minor problems, and Epson did ship ona replacement, that was even worst...Fist one would not work with a VGA from my cable box, something a Infocus X1, an HP and the BenQ would, and the second one had a purple gay scale or purple black and white picture...so the stories of they having problems with the 3010 seems true.

But both of these 3010s would work with my switcher and 50 feet of HDMI, this one (the 3020)would not display a 3D movie from my New internet cable Sony Bu-Ray 3D player..It played all other programing including 3D from Cox cable AOK, the Sony did not get a handshake and the Sony DVD said it could not find a 3D display...

Epson tech said that they only test and certify 15 foot HDMI cables??!! Silly as 90% of home theaters will have the projector around 12+ feet from the screen.

I think this is a little short sighted, (pun intended) they should at lease test with a more standard 25 foot cable.

Also I ran into this:

Do any of you with Epson 3020s have the LCD Alignment setting??

It is located in: Extended/LCD Align.

And allows you to adjust the convergence using a grip pattern.

And last my lamp hour counter is not counting..I have over 5 hours (at least) of play time and it still reads 0HR.

#267 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by racprops  /t/1433899/just-installed-my-new-epson-home-cinema-3020/240#post_22785505

And last my lamp hour counter is not counting..I have over 5 hours (at least) of play time and it still reads 0HR.

Sometime soon it will jump. I bet they do this in case you return it, so when they resell it as a refurb the bulb hours are zero...

#268 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by racprops  /t/1433899/just-installed-my-new-epson-home-cinema-3020/240#post_22785505

But both of these 3010s would work with my switcher and 50 feet of HDMI, this one (the 3020)would not display a 3D movie from my New internet cable Sony Bu-Ray 3D player..It played all other programing including 3D from Cox cable AOK, the Sony did not get a handshake and the Sony DVD said it could not find a 3D display...

Epson tech said that they only test and certify 15 foot HDMI cables??!! Silly as 90% of home theaters will have the projector around 12+ feet from the screen.

I'm using a 25' HDMI from a 1>2 powered splitter and it works fine 80% of the time. On a couple of 3D films it wouldn't handshake until I hooked it directly to the Sony player. Is your splitter powered?

#269 ·
I have the same problem.

Epson tech support said they only test 15 foot HDMI cables...

I think that is very short sighted (pun Intended) for everyone will be at least 12 feet away from their screen

I am adding a booster.

Rich

#270 ·

Quote:

The projector will start to show a count after 10 hrs. of use. This is so that after the unit is manufactured and tested, it will reach the consumer showing that it's still new with no use. There is a secret menu in the project that will show your 5 hrs. of use - even though the menu available to the consumer doesn't display a time count until it reaches 10 hrs.

Hope this helps.

Ian

#271 ·
[quote name="racprops" url="/t/1433899/

And allows you to adjust the convergence using a grid pattern.

It is a feature in the 5020 but not the 3020, and both manuals show that, 3020 no 5020 yes.

So either I bought a 3020 with a 5020 mother board OR Epson is playing software games...

Rich[/quote]

My new 3020 also has the LCD alignment enabled right out-of-the-box - this was a real surprise. This feature isn't supposed to be available in the 3020 - unless Epson decided to simply make it available after their manuals and promo material were published.

This feature was always available in a hidden menu that you could enable changing a dip switch, which would simply turn on a feature that Epson had blocked out. I don't think Epson is playing a "software game" by not including it. First, the projector is a basic entry level model. It would seem that they were keeping it simple as their cheapest 3D capable 1080p projector. Certain tweaks that more advanced users might want to play with were likely reserved for the higher end models costing considerably more. As they say, you only get what you pay for . . . and I think that Epson has really done a great job with what's offered with the 3020. I have a 5010 from last year (great projector) . . . but I don't think that the picture quality of the 3020 is inferior to my 5020 - it's quite comparable after setting it up and doing the pixel alignment.

Ian

#272 ·
Hi, I purchased the 3020 just before Christmas ( already have a 8350) During first use watching Avatar 3D after the movie was almost over the unit shut down with both red lights on. I unplugged it and turned it back on a while later and it worked ok. Have watched several more movies since and it has not happened again. Everything else looks good to me... Would you suggest exchanging it? I have several weeks left to return it to BB.

just wondering if that error means something is definitely wrong internally.

thanks for any advise to a first time poster.

#274 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy2004  /t/1433899/just-installed-my-new-epson-home-cinema-3020/270#post_22787666

Hi, I purchased the 3020 just before Christmas ( already have a 8350) During first use watching Avatar 3D after the movie was almost over the unit shut down with both red lights on. I unplugged it and turned it back on a while later and it worked ok. Have watched several more movies since and it has not happened again. Everything else looks good to me... Would you suggest exchanging it? I have several weeks left to return it to BB.

just wondering if that error means something is definitely wrong internally.

thanks for any advise to a first time poster.

Hi, Lindy . . .

Having a new unit shut down as yours did would concern me. Maybe you might want to contact Epson service by phone and tell them what happened - they might have a suggestion, which might include sending you a new replacement. Epson service is fantastic, and they like to take good care of their clients.

Were you watching Avatar 3D? If so, try watching another 3D movie. If you have been watching 2D movies since without having a problem, then maybe the issue is the with 3D drive engine?

Again, talking with Epson is something I'd recommend. They might give you an "incident number" so that if you have problems again in a month or two, they can look up your history . . . at least they will see that it's something you reported when the unit was brand new.

Good luck!

Ian

#275 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by racprops  /t/1433899/just-installed-my-new-epson-home-cinema-3020/240#post_22787373

I have the same problem.

Epson tech support said they only test 15 foot HDMI cables...

I think that is very short sighted (pun Intended) for everyone will be at least 12 feet away from their screen

I am adding a booster.

ALSO:

And allows you to adjust the convergence using a grid pattern.

It is a feature in the 5020 but not the 3020, and both manuals show that, 3020 no 5020 yes.

So either I bought a 3020 with a 5020 mother board OR Epson is playing software games...

That is all models have the same features, they just do not turn them on in the lower priced models.

Canon cameras do that I have a low priced model that was hacked and the extra features are turned on...

I lean towards the software mistake as I do not have frame interpolation, a feature of the 5020.

Maybe someone can hack these projectors and turn on all the features??

Rich

You're right. I have LCD alignment that's not mentioned in the manual. I do recall reading on one of the threads that it was enabled after a firmware update but don't remember if it was on a 3020 or 3010 thread. I'm monitoring a few 3010 threads; if they find a way to turn on FI, that would be cool.

#276 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeger  /t/1433899/just-installed-my-new-epson-home-cinema-3020/270#post_22787740

Hi, Lindy . . .

Having a new unit shut down as yours did would concern me. Maybe you might want to contact Epson service by phone and tell them what happened - they might have a suggestion, which might include sending you a new replacement. Epson service is fantastic, and they like to take good care of their clients.

Were you watching Avatar 3D? If so, try watching another 3D movie. If you have been watching 2D movies since without having a problem, then maybe the issue is the with 3D drive engine?

Again, talking with Epson is something I'd recommend. They might give you an "incident number" so that if you have problems again in a month or two, they can look up your history . . . at least they will see that it's something you reported when the unit was brand new.

Good luck!

Ian
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeger  /t/1433899/just-installed-my-new-epson-home-cinema-3020/270#post_22787740

Hi, Lindy . . .

Good luck!

Ian

I'm with Ian. Page 79 in the manual - 2 flashing red, unplug it and call Epson.