AVS Forum banner
208K views 1K replies 242 participants last post by  Nasmo_Q 
#1 ·
Just installed my Epson 3020 and couldn't be happier. My first projector project and everything went according to plan. The picture is bright and colorful on a big 130" screen. The 3D is surprisingly good as well. Just wanted to open this up as I haven't seen many posts on this new model yet. If anyone has any questions about menus, features or installation let me know. I'll try to post some photos soon.

#302 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by aftcomet  /t/1433899/just-installed-my-new-epson-home-cinema-3020/270#post_22804295

Hi guys. I was reading the thread and some guys mentioned they weren't able to focus the projector sharply. Is there any way to test how sharp the picture should be? I have a 100 inch screen and I set approx 12 feet away from it. I have extremely good eyes but I feel the imagine should be a tiny pinch sharper.

Any ideas on the best way to test it? Is focus something you eyeball? This is my first projector so I'm not sure.

Eyeball it. Any fuzziness left may be a convergence issue you can adjust in the LCD alignment function in the menu.

#303 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by aftcomet  /t/1433899/just-installed-my-new-epson-home-cinema-3020/270#post_22804295

Hi guys. I was reading the thread and some guys mentioned they weren't able to focus the projector sharply. Is there any way to test how sharp the picture should be? I have a 100 inch screen and I set approx 12 feet away from it. I have extremely good eyes but I feel the imagine should be a tiny pinch sharper.

Any ideas on the best way to test it? Is focus something you eyeball? This is my first projector so I'm not sure.

Sometimes too sharp is not a good thing. I had mine as sharp as I could get it, including SUPER RES. And after calibrations. I noticed it could give you BAD VISUAL ARTIFACTS that the FILM MAKERS.

Did not want you to see. Kind of like when a person is wearing STRIPS and you get the weird optical illusion. I really like having the Disney WOW Disc. It helps make your system even better. And then you can tweak it to your liking.

iMIKE THEATRE

#304 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngwest36  /t/1433899/just-installed-my-new-epson-home-cinema-3020/300#post_22804663

Thanks SoloForce! Look forward to trying it.

Anyone know if the USB port accepts .mkv files?

The .mkv file will only help with SIde By SIde Mode.

Some Blu-Ray Players with USB ports play these.

I will also convert it to .m2ts...that can be played on a PS3 also.

Just waiting for the last file to upload, and my links will be ready.

Thanks.

iMIKE THEATRE

#305 ·
SoloForce:

Any chance you can burn off a few of these DVDs for a small price to cover disk, and mailing ETC.??

I do not have any of the stuff to make/play these.

Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloForce  /t/1433899/just-installed-my-new-epson-home-cinema-3020/300#post_22804757

The .mkv file will only help with SIde By SIde Mode.

Some Blu-Ray Players with USB ports play these.

I will also convert it to .m2ts...that can be played on a PS3 also.

Just waiting for the last file to upload, and my links will be ready.

Thanks.
iMIKE THEATRE

#306 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by racprops  /t/1433899/just-installed-my-new-epson-home-cinema-3020/300#post_22805060

SoloForce:

Any chance you can burn off a few of these DVDs for a small price to cover disk, and mailing ETC.??

I do not have any of the stuff to make/play these.

Rich

I this point I can't see it.

But these aren't DVD's there Blu-Ray.

I would really like to help out tho.

Perhaps when I finish and calibrate my machine I will post my settings.

But there's not telling which settings work from machine to machine.

Check around see if there's anyone who has the ability to burn Blu-Ray .iso files.

If figure a way to do it I will let everyone know.

Thanks and sorry.

iMIKE THEATRE

#307 ·
SOLOFORCE 3D Blu-Ray Calibration Pattern Disc for 3D Blu-Ray Players

(will throw your projector into 3D AUTO mode) Image will look 2D except for OPENING title.

IT WILL SWITCH DEPTHS. BECOME GHOSTY cause of the BRIGHT LETTERS ON BLACK. (Normal)

If you know how to calibrate your TV/Projector, and have the BLUE FILTER Lens

(Like the one from the WOW disc) you will be able to Calibrate COLOUR, and TINT, more accurately.

This is the link for the .ISO. Burn this to a BLU-RAY Disc, with the proper .ISO burning program...and you are set.

http://netload.in/dateiC6mazm1glI/SoloForce3D.iso.htm

SOLOFORCE 3D Calibration Pattern .MKV file for SBS Mode on your TV/PROJECTOR

Switch your TV/PROJECTOR into SIDE BY SIDE MODE when using this file.

Some Blu-Ray Players with USB accept .MKV Files. or Media Centers.

Note: The 3D settings for your projector are different when using SBS or AUTO.

The only way to calibrate in AUTO is with a 3D Blu-Ray Calibration Disc as above.

(That's what I've found anyway)

This is the link for the .MKV file for SIDE BY SIDE Calibration.

http://netload.in/dateiLmKS5nfC4d/SoloForce3DCALIBRATIONSBS1080.mkv.htm

SOLOFORCE 3D Calibration Pattern .M2TS file for SBS Mode on your TV/PROJECTOR

All the same information about the .MKV file but in .M2TS format.

.M2TS formats can play from a USB on your playstation 3. And again this is for SIDE BY SIDE Mode

This is the link for the .M2TS file for SIDE BY SIDE Calibration.

http://netload.in/datei5XWWgRzRsq/SoloForce3DCALIBRATIONSBS1080.m2ts.htm

GOOD LUCK!!!

iMIKE THEATRE

#309 ·
OK I did the LCD alinement today.

Things look better...BUT:

I kind of have a fuzzy green.

The red and blue are just about a pixel wide, but the green show fuzzy on both sides of Vertical line and less on a horizontal line but still fuzzy.

Is that normal or a problem?

Rich

#310 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by racprops  /t/1433899/just-installed-my-new-epson-home-cinema-3020/300#post_22807906

The red and blue are just about a pixel wide, but the green show fuzzy on both sides of Vertical line and less on a horizontal line but still fuzzy.

Rich

I've read opinions here that the smearing you see may be inherent to the type of lens Epson uses. I've got it too but I don't see it while watching movies so don't care much.

#311 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by racprops  /t/1433899/just-installed-my-new-epson-home-cinema-3020/300#post_22807906

Rich

I might add that you can send pictures of it to Epson and see what they say. If they don't like what they see they'll send you another one.

#313 ·
Talked with Epson Tech support, asked about the green line and was told it should be just like the red and blue lines.

FYI

Anyone have any problems with their projector and a 3D BR Player??

My Sony does not like my Epson...they do not play well together.

Rich

#315 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by racprops  /t/1433899/just-installed-my-new-epson-home-cinema-3020/300#post_22816883

Talked with Epson Tech support, asked about the green line and was told it should be just like the red and blue lines.

FYI

Anyone have any problems with their projector and a 3D BR Player??

My Sony does not like my Epson...they do not play well together.

Rich
i've got a sony s570

#316 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by racprops  /t/1433899/just-installed-my-new-epson-home-cinema-3020/300#post_22817825

Anyone know of any service that streams 3D movies??

Rich
Vudu

#318 ·
I have a 1 x 2 switcher (powered) so I can take the output from my AVR and direct it to my TV or projector. On some 3D movies I have to unplug the output to the TV to get the sony BD player to handshake with the projector.

#320 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by racprops  /t/1433899/just-installed-my-new-epson-home-cinema-3020/300#post_22822662

Thanks.

I will try that.

Rich
Yea. It's a minor PITA but easier than trying to switch cables behind the AVR.

#321 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngwest36  /t/1433899/just-installed-my-new-epson-home-cinema-3020/300#post_22809477

I've read opinions here that the smearing you see may be inherent to the type of lens Epson uses. I've got it too but I don't see it while watching movies so don't care much.

Lets talk more about this smearing. I've got it as well. It kinda bugs me knowing its there, but I agree that the overall image quality for movies doesn't seem to be at all affected. One thing I can say though is the convergence seems to be acceptable based on the white text image. Some of the 5020's seem to have bad convergence (from the thread linked below).

I used the test images from the this thread for the following pictures (put them on a USB stick and use the PJ to view): http://www.avsforum.com/t/1445525/all-5020-6020-owners-please-help-please-answer-this-poll-in-an-attempt-to-get-a-response-from-epson

#323 ·
If anyone bought their 3020 from Best Buy, they went on sale again. $1399. Got my rewardzone pricematch

#325 ·
Well I can tell you you can do the convergence your self.

This is a copy from this site:

Found this post on another Epson thread for LCD alignment,

Further Note:

It's best to do this when the projector is on it's feet and not ceiling mounted. (not problem with the 3020, only the older 3010)

Otherwise, if I recall correctly, the arrow/direction buttons are reversed when ceiling mounted.

You should also make the screen size smaller than your screen using the zoom so you can see the entire projected screen with no overscan to the screen borders.

I made the projected screen about an inch smaller around the entire screen than my screen.

1. Access the Extended menu and select LCD alignment.

2. Enable(on) LCD alignment.

3. Select (B)lue or (R)ed to be adjusted. Default is (R)ed.

*Leave the other option at R/B/G

4. Start the alignment.

5. You will be asked to first adjust each corner.

6. When the yellow box is displayed in the corner, make your adjustment using the arrow keys.

*If you are adjusting Red, then only the red pixels will move in the corner.

**If no adjustment is needed, select Enter to move to the next corner.

***Repeat this step for all 4 corners.

7. Once all 4 corners are done, you will now be asked to select a coordinate on the screen.

Once you enter this mode, a yellow square will appear on the screen with no "+" cross hair.

8. Move the box to a location in which requires pixel alignment using the arrow keys.

*If adjusting red, move to a location that requires red pixel adjustment.

9. Once you find a location, select the Enter key.

10. Now there will be a "+" cross hair in the yellow box.

11. Use the arrow keys to move the pixel.

*You should see that the V/H numbers will change from 0 to a positive or negative number depending on which way you adjust.

12. Once you are done adjusting, select Enter.

13. You will now return to the menu which asks if you want to adjust another location on the screen.

14. Press Enter to select another location to adjust and repeat the previous few steps.

Otherwise, select the Exit option to finish the alignment.

You can now choose to adjust the other color(Red or Blue) and repeat the alignment for that specific color.

*There is no adjustment for green.

**You must leave LCD adjustment ON. If you turn it off, the panel will return all adjustments back to default.

Just exit the LCD Alignment menu by selecting Return to keep your adjusted alignment.

#326 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngwest36  /t/1433899/just-installed-my-new-epson-home-cinema-3020/300#post_22825185

If anyone bought their 3020 from Best Buy, they went on sale again. $1399. Got my rewardzone pricematch

Can you post a copy of any adds??

I am going to go to my Best Buy and get a price MATCH!!!

Rich