exm
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt.Aldo.Raine View Post

You can call and get a new lamp for whatever reason if you are under warranty.

Now that's good to know! Will certainly do so.

On a side note, I replaced a replacement projector (had focus/sharpness issues) and the new projector looks much, much better!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1090 Old 02-08-2013, 07:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperco View Post

FYI, I recently paired my 3020 with a 106" Monoprice Multi-format screen. Details here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1315813/new-ranges-of-monoprice-screens-seem-to-be-coming-soon/480#post_22881688

How do you like the pairing? I'm buying a 5020 and I'm looking at getting the exact same screen.

post #453 of 1090 Old 02-08-2013, 08:49 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadedphoto View Post

How do you like the pairing? I'm buying a 5020 and I'm looking at getting the exact same screen.

I really like it. The masking option is great, but maybe not as important with the 5020 due to the deeper blacks. In my case my room stinks (white walls and ceiling) so the masking is a double bonus. The screen is very solidly made, with one piece aluminum extrusions.
post #454 of 1090 Old 02-10-2013, 08:18 AM

Liked: 12
Read a few posts back in this thread about reasonably priced 3d glasses for the 3020 … here is what I found:

Glasses that may work, are labeled:
- Bluetooth,
- "Full HD 3D RF",
- RF active,
- for Samsung 2011+,
- Panasonic,
- Universal

And almost never mention Epson in any compatibility list!

Glasses I have tried:

EPSON ELPGS03
Pros:
These work perfectly, good picture, comfortable, rubberized nose piece, rechargeable.
Cons:
If I had to nit pick:
Very expensive if you can find them,
USB charger in the nose piece makes it difficult to charge and keep in bag (vs on the side).
Slider on off switch seems a little more inconvenient and delicate than the toggle press switch on most other glasses.
Summary:
The reference since the came with the projector. My preferred viewing glasses.

Samsung 4100GB
Pros:
These are the cheapest, and you can find them on ebay/Amazon for <$20.
Paired perfectly.
3D Image quality as good as the Epsons.
Very light
Cons:
Extremely cheap and flimsy feeling build quality.
Annoying tiny resesed push button to turn on.
Earpieces do not fold in, making them larger to store, and more prone to breakage.
No rubberized nose piece.
Not rechargeable, uses watch battery.
Does not come with pouch.
Lenses stick out and act like rear view mirrors! I was being distracted by all kinds of shadow effects half an inch from my eyes while viewing.
Summary:
These were returned, as the family was constantly arguing who was odd man out having to wear these cheapos. The rear reflections were a deal breaker.

Samsung 3100GB
A friend of mine had some that came with his Samsung TV. Despite all the sites marking them as "Only compatible with 2011 Samsung TVs", I tried them and they worked perfectly!
Pros:
Very good build quality, comparable if not better than Epson.
Paired perfectly.
Decent Comfort, rubberized nose piece
3D Image quality as good as the Epsons.
Frameless bottom, so you don't see a black bar just below the image.
Great price: You can find them on ebay/Amazon for <$40 each, or <$80 for 2 including 5 Bluray movies.
Cons:
Slightly heavier than Epson.
Not rechargeable, uses watch battery.
Discontinued (but still available).
Does not come with pouch.
Summary:
This was a nice find, and I bought these as my extra's for guests at a low price and got 5 blurays (Megamind + all 4 Shrek Movies in 3d) as a bonus. Guests will definitely not be suffering, and battery will probably last forever as I will use the Epsons primarily.

Gonbes G07-A kids glasses
These are all over Amazon and Ebay and dealextreme, just search for "kids 3d glasses" and look for the pictures that look the same as the Gonbes ones. Since they are Chinese no-name stuff, they usually don't go by model name.
Pros:
Cheap (<$30)
Smaller size/looks for kids.
Rechargeable
Very good build quality.
Comes with pouch.
Pairs perfectly.
Universal (supposed to work with IR as well in case you have multiple 3d displays)
Cons:
Chinenglish user manual wink.gif
"Average" comfort. Non rubberized nose piece, and quite solid so could feel a bit tight sliding on.
More noticeable ghosting, and slightly less 3d pop than other glasses.
Manual state press button to toggle for "samsung/panasonic" compatibility, or somewhere else calls it left/right first mode. It does not seem to toggle left/right polarity in RF mode, but instead between "medium ghosting" and "less ghosting" … probably just retarding timing a bit. I find those two modes annoying since kids could end up in the wrong mode without realizing and not maximize enjoyment of movie. May be more useful for people needing the "Universal" part.
Summary:
Works for the price, fits kids who may not mind the slightly inferior 3D quality.

Panasonic TY-ER3D4MU
I did not try these, but deserves mention as several posts on forums from people using them on their Epson 3020 and preferring them to the Epson glasses. And <$60 on Amazon. Probably the best value for additional premium "primary" glasses.

I would also suspect that the Samsung 3050GB, 3500GB, and 3550GB work since they are also rated for 2011 Samsung TV's like the others that work (but I have not tried, or read confirmations). But all these newer Samsung models seem to suffer from the "flared out rear view mirrors" design, which is a no-go for me.

And there a probably plenty of other glasses that work fine!
hiperco likes this.
post #455 of 1090 Old 02-10-2013, 05:52 PM

Liked: 15
Darn it my lamp burned out just now on Sunday night.

Here I am convalescing after a I had Quadruple Heart Bypass Surgery this past Monday Jan 21 2013.

Now I am down with no projector to watch as I wile away the long days and nights.

I know I can call first thing tomorrow and they will send out a new lamp.

Question: How long can this take and do I have to send them the old lamp??

Rich

post #456 of 1090 Old 02-10-2013, 08:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I was just reading the specs for this projector on the Epson site and it only mentions 16:9. Does this mean that it won't do 2.35:1? I'm a total newb so sorry if this is a dumb question.
post #457 of 1090 Old 02-10-2013, 08:08 PM

It will letter box or put bars on the side.

Rich

post #458 of 1090 Old 02-10-2013, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by racprops View Post

It will letter box or put bars on the side.

Rich

Guess my question is: is there is any reason to buy a 2.35:1 screen instead of a 16:9?
post #459 of 1090 Old 02-10-2013, 08:49 PM

Well my 120 screen is a little more square so it is a 2.35:1 screen, but when I set up the projector it only uses the upper 3/4 of the screen.

Mine is a roll up screen and not a decade screen. There are a little ripples in it when deployed but i don't mind.

BUT if your buying a new screen I would go with a 16:9 model now.

But you might get better deals on older 2.35:1 screens and just not pull it all the way down if you going with a roll up type.

Rich

post #460 of 1090 Old 02-11-2013, 04:56 AM

I've been following this thread for awhile, and 95% sold on using this in my theater, problem is I can't demo it anywhere before buying. Could any of you post some screenshots of movies being watched? I would greatly appreciate it. It's mainly to keep me hyped on buying it, but would love to see it in action. Thanks.
post #461 of 1090 Old 02-11-2013, 06:32 AM
exm
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeballer View Post

Guess my question is: is there is any reason to buy a 2.35:1 screen instead of a 16:9?

There are two ways to project a 2.35:1 movie onto a 2.35:1 screen without black letterbox bars. One way is to place an anamorphic lens in front of the projector's primary lens to stretch the image horizontally and use electronic processing to upscale the image vertically. The other way is to use a projector with motorized zoom, focus, and lens shift and several less memories to store and recall the settings for different aspect ratios.

Since the 3020 doesn't support neither, the answer is no. Buy a 16:9 screen.
post #462 of 1090 Old 02-11-2013, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fj60landcruiser View Post

I've been following this thread for awhile, and 95% sold on using this in my theater, problem is I can't demo it anywhere before buying. Could any of you post some screenshots of movies being watched? I would greatly appreciate it. It's mainly to keep me hyped on buying it, but would love to see it in action. Thanks.

I would suggests you buy one at a store like best buy where you have 30 days to try it.

I have had a few projectors all older models of other brands and LOVE this unit.

Granted you might need to exchange one or two to get a great one, as I did but once you get a good one, I found it is the best.

Rich
Fj60landcruiser and Aceracer7 like this.

post #463 of 1090 Old 02-11-2013, 02:11 PM

Quote:

Here is a Demo from my Home Theater..... The camera has a hard time catching up with the light changes so the brightness is coming from the camera not the projector

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3O3CDoWRjI
Fj60landcruiser likes this.

BASEMENT HOME THEATER - EPSON 5030UB 2D/3D PROJECTOR W/ 100" ELITE SCREEN - RECEIVER - HARMON KARDON 1710 7.2
FRONT SPEAKERS - INFINITY PRIMUS P363 CENTER SPEAKER INFINITY PRIMUS PC351 - SIDES AND REARS POLK AUDIO 30'S + 40'S SUBWOOFERS PREMIER ACOUSTIC PA-120 650 WATT TITANIUM + POLK AUDIO PSW110
post #464 of 1090 Old 02-11-2013, 04:46 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

HD DVD = 64
Blu-Ray = 171
Blu-Ray 3D = 10
SDVD = 585
post #465 of 1090 Old 02-11-2013, 05:20 PM

Dude you set it so it is 8/10 feet wide and it is like going to the movies.

Those pictures do not do it justice.

Rich

post #466 of 1090 Old 02-11-2013, 05:58 PM

I recently purchased a cheap (about 200$) grey screen for my epson 3020 projector. I was shooting on a white wall before and I thought the screen would be enhancing my picture quality.

The image is sharper with the grey screen but it adds some significant screen door effect to the picture. Is it because the screen is too cheap ? Would a white screen produce the same screen door effect ? Thanks in advance for the guidance!
post #467 of 1090 Old 02-11-2013, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P244 View Post

I recently purchased a cheap (about 200$) grey screen for my epson 3020 projector. I was shooting on a white wall before and I thought the screen would be enhancing my picture quality.

The image is sharper with the grey screen but it adds some significant screen door effect to the picture. Is it because the screen is too cheap ? Would a white screen produce the same screen door effect ? Thanks in advance for the guidance!

Does the screen itself have a texture? That might be what you are seeing. You can see the pixels on these units, but not from a reasonable seating distance.
post #468 of 1090 Old 02-11-2013, 06:36 PM

Quote:

Lots of pictures here: http://www.projectorreviews.com/epson/home-cinema-3020/index.php

If you buy direct from Epson you have a 30 day return policy.
post #469 of 1090 Old 02-11-2013, 08:43 PM

IF you buy from Best Buy you also have a 30 day return and Price match, my 3020 ended up costing me $1395.00 thanks to price matching.

AND you have no shipping costs.

Rich
Aceracer7 likes this.

post #470 of 1090 Old 02-12-2013, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperco View Post

Does the screen itself have a texture? That might be what you are seeing. You can see the pixels on these units, but not from a reasonable seating distance.

The screen does have a texture. When I shoot straight on the wall, I dont see the pixels, I see them only with the screen down (I'm seating about 13 feet away from a 100" diag screen). So, according to you, I'd need to switch for a screen that doesnt have texture. Thanks for the tip!
post #471 of 1090 Old 02-12-2013, 07:32 AM
exm
AVS Special Member

Quote:

IF you buy from Best Buy you also have a 30 day return and Price match, my 3020 ended up costing me $1395.00 thanks to price matching.

AND you have no shipping costs.

Rich

But you pay sales tax. I purchased from Epson.com using their loyalty program.
post #472 of 1090 Old 02-12-2013, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post

But you pay sales tax. I purchased from Epson.com using their loyalty program.

And how much did you pay?

Rich

post #473 of 1090 Old 02-12-2013, 10:44 AM
exm
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And how much did you pay?

Rich

1,275.20 shipped/no tax.
post #474 of 1090 Old 02-12-2013, 12:24 PM

That is good deal.

But you have to be a customer before to get that deal don't you?

Rich

post #475 of 1090 Old 02-12-2013, 01:16 PM

Just got my 3020 over the weekend, watched it a bit and it is great!. I also did some calibration using WoW disc, and noticed that there is a dead pixel on the screen (seems only noticeable when using WoW disc). I tried to run pixel flipper for about an hour, the spot seems remaining. Should I run it longer? Can it be fixed this way most of the case? Should I just call EPSON for a new replacement?. I found this problem from WoW disc, but could not find the location for pixel test anymore? Can anyone remind me on that? Thank you in advance!
post #476 of 1090 Old 02-13-2013, 02:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifa007 View Post

Just got my 3020 over the weekend, watched it a bit and it is great!. I also did some calibration using WoW disc, and noticed that there is a dead pixel on the screen (seems only noticeable when using WoW disc). I tried to run pixel flipper for about an hour, the spot seems remaining. Should I run it longer? Can it be fixed this way most of the case? Should I just call EPSON for a new replacement?. I found this problem from WoW disc, but could not find the location for pixel test anymore? Can anyone remind me on that? Thank you in advance!

If the only time you see it is when running WoW, why worry about it? I swear AVS has an overabundance of OCD sufferers! tongue.gif

HD DVD = 64
Blu-Ray = 171
Blu-Ray 3D = 10
SDVD = 585
post #477 of 1090 Old 02-13-2013, 07:11 AM

Quote:
I swear AVS has an overabundance of OCD sufferers!

LOL, why else would we be here reading these posts instead of just enjoying our home theatres!
post #478 of 1090 Old 02-13-2013, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveCay View Post

LOL, why else would we be here reading these posts instead of just enjoying our home theatres!

I know, right? It's like we buy this stuff just to able to complain about it! eek.gif

HD DVD = 64
Blu-Ray = 171
Blu-Ray 3D = 10
SDVD = 585
post #479 of 1090 Old 02-13-2013, 09:03 AM

I wish I could be home enjoying my 3020 BUT the lamp burned out Sunday night.

Monday I was told they would 2 day Fed-Ex me a lamp.

I called this morning to confirm today's delivery to be told THEY ARE OUT OF LAMPS, THAT THE LAMP IS BACK ORDERED AND THEY DO NOT EVEN KNOW WHEN LAMPS WILL BE COMING IN.

That is very unsettling: they have been replacing a lot of lamps to run out so badly.

So I am taking the projector back to Best Buy.

I may exchange it or not.

Rich

post #480 of 1090 Old 02-13-2013, 01:19 PM

OK I had to exchange what was maybe a very good projector due a bit a run around with Epson and a lack of of a lamp. (See above post)

As I only had a day left on the 30 day exchange so I could not chance that the lamp power supply might have failed.

I find the idea that Epson run out of lamps not heart warming.

Considering how many on the forum have had to get lamps and how many are getting them well pass the 90 day Warrintee on the lamps, I really think they are have a problem with their lamps.

I feel as they have a problem with their lamps they then OWE all of us a new higher quality lamp once they get them in.

Rich

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson , Epson Projector , Epson V11h501020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020 2d And 3d Home Theater Projector , Epson V11h502020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020e 2d And 3d 1080p Wireless Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page