Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 1119 Old 03-18-2013, 10:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmpavs View Post

Sorry, YES we want a fixed screen. Not a pulldown since it is a dedicated room only for HT.
I bought my 3020 about 2 weeks ago. I looked around for fixed screen for a little while before just deciding to use paint. I'm by no means a videophobe, but I do have a rather keen eye, and can be very picky when it comes to video quality. I also have done a lot of painting, so applying 2 prime coats (sanding) between coats, and 1of 3 (so far) top coats of flat white premium paint is no problem. As for the picture quality. So far I m really liking it. Sometimes watching hockey is too bright ! The primer, paint, frogtape, rollers, and Sandpaper cost about 100.00. And I was able to create a custom sized display 138" diagonal to be exact.
The other reason I choose paint is because you can always paint over it if you want to try a slightly grey screen or if you want to change the size. Maby anamorphic ( if possible) or bigger or smaller.
Paying a bit extra for premium only because it will apply more consistent with fewer o no " hot spots" . And if you have little kids like me. Cleaning there little paw prints from your screen is a lot easier because with High grade paint . it is muh easier to clean without any residue. Just an option to consider
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1119 Old 03-19-2013, 01:15 AM

Liked: 11
skatecowboy: I have no little kids therefore no little smudge marks or fingerprints. Can you tell me what paints you use/recommend? I was thinking about going with laminate
post #633 of 1119 Old 03-19-2013, 11:38 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmpavs View Post

Can I ask you guys the best option for DIY screen for this? I am considering buying in a couple of weeks or so and wondering if anyone has used laminates or what the general consensus is in a quality screen.

I built a few DIY screens using BLACK OUT found at most fabric stores. There's many DIY instructions on line.
I found meter readings that show the actually calculations, compared to PURCHASE Screens. And for the time.
The difference was small enough that I'd rather but money into other areas. And then take a look at the option of
doing test on a few different screens.

Most FABRIC rolls come in a certain size...I can't remember the width. But I found one store in the DUFFERIN area around YORKDALE MALL in TORONTO.
That sells DOUBLE THE WIDTH. This screen is almost 100 Inches.

Here some pictures of a "Some what portable" Screen I made for different areas, in and around the house.

iMIKE THEATRE

post #634 of 1119 Old 03-19-2013, 12:00 PM

So you built a frame and tacked the blackout fabric to it and then attached the laminate with an adhesive to the front? The picture quality looks pretty sharp. How is it in an average to low light room? Would it be okay for just watching tv as well?
post #635 of 1119 Old 03-19-2013, 08:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I might suggest that DIY screen discussions happen over at the forum with a similar name wink.gif http://www.avsforum.com/f/110/diy-screen-section
post #636 of 1119 Old 03-20-2013, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Well I got the replacement projector and this one looks great.

Black and White (gray scale) is great and it is sharper that the one going back.

Tried the 2D to 3d conversion and it still bends the left field.

Rich

post #637 of 1119 Old 03-20-2013, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by racprops View Post

Well I got the replacement projector and this one looks great.

Black and White (gray scale) is great and it is sharper that the one going back.

Tried the 2D to 3d conversion and it still bends the left field
so you're gonna return this new unit as well?

Hard to believe the sharpness would vary that much between units? That doesn't seem right?
post #638 of 1119 Old 03-20-2013, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

so you're gonna return this new unit as well?

Hard to believe the sharpness would vary that much between units? That doesn't seem right?

I know right?? But it does, now in this case it was only minor..just a little off, like watching Netflix HD all the time, now it is like BR DVD sharp..on cable and BR.

It also looks a touch brighter as well...

As for exchanging it, well until I am told they have fixed the 2D to 3D conversion I have no plan to...

BUT if something goes wacky, of course...

So far this one is like the first one: bright and SHARP...

I thought the second one had less pop and ZIP.

Rich

post #639 of 1119 Old 03-20-2013, 11:18 PM

I'm getting my screen in a few weeks. It's being custom made. This is my first projector and I just noticed it doesn't have lens shift. I thought it did for some reason. Anyways I need help figuring out how to get it correctly mounted to the ceiling which is dry wall with large 2x8's I think holding that up. I Don't have much of an attic. As a matter of fact it's a freaking nightmare to work up in it because it's about 3 feet high if that. .

So How do I correctly get it centered ? My screen's total size is 61 inches tall by 103 inches wide and it's a Jamestown screen.

Thanks so much for your help !
post #640 of 1119 Old 03-21-2013, 07:38 AM

There is a chart in the manual on DVD on screen size and placement of the projector.

A little more effort setting it and your done.

Consider: Once you set it up how often will you use a lens shift??

Rich

post #641 of 1119 Old 03-21-2013, 06:13 PM

This is 16:9 for the projector. I think based on the spec's below I need one of the ones I highlighted. Which one would you guys recommended ? I have about 17' 6'' of space to play with. (I think...). God I hate being a total noobtube ..

This is what my James town spec's are:
This is a new 110 inch viewable Jamestown Home Theater Screen in 16:9 format. Viewable dimensions are 54 inches tall by 96 inches wide. Total screen dimensions with black velvet frame are 61 inches tall by 103 inches wide.

The Jamestown Home Theater Screen Difference:

Our High Definition Cinema Quality Matte White Screen Material:

Multi-layer PVC based material for strength and HD image quality
Micro-textured for image clarity and 60 degree wide viewing angle
1.2 gain for bright vivid colors and excellent contrast
Fully adjustable screen tension
post #642 of 1119 Old 03-21-2013, 07:42 PM

Liked: 16
No worries, its really quite simple. Rule #1: Since there is no lens shift and the projector has no offset, the lens must be even with the top (if upside down on the ceiling) or the bottom (if table mounted) of the screen. Then, the throw distance (how close or how far you can be for a given image size) is adjusted with the zoom. Generally its better to put the projector closer, since you lose some brightness at the other end of the zoom (but its not a big deal).

Here is a picture of your approximate setup using the epson projector calculator, You are at the far end of the range at 17 feet, I would be careful and test before making anything permanent.

http://www.epson.com/alf_upload/landing/distance-calculator/

post #643 of 1119 Old 03-21-2013, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock2323 View Post

I'm getting my screen in a few weeks. It's being custom made. This is my first projector and I just noticed it doesn't have lens shift. I thought it did for some reason. Anyways I need help figuring out how to get it correctly mounted to the ceiling which is dry wall with large 2x8's I think holding that up. I Don't have much of an attic. As a matter of fact it's a freaking nightmare to work up in it because it's about 3 feet high if that. .

So How do I correctly get it centered ? My screen's total size is 61 inches tall by 103 inches wide and it's a Jamestown screen.

Thanks so much for your help !

You can use some string to help measure from each corner to where the center of the lens would be, to help with the setup. A calc that I like to use which can be handy for looking at distance vs brightness and screen size/gain factors. http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com/
Keep in mind that as the lamp burns, it will start to lose a little brightness, and that in the brightest lamp modes, the pj will be a little noisier and the lamp won't last as long.
post #644 of 1119 Old 03-23-2013, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloForce View Post

I built a few DIY screens using BLACK OUT found at most fabric stores. There's many DIY instructions on line.
I found meter readings that show the actually calculations, compared to PURCHASE Screens. And for the time.
The difference was small enough that I'd rather but money into other areas. And then take a look at the option of
doing test on a few different screens.

Most FABRIC rolls come in a certain size...I can't remember the width. But I found one store in the DUFFERIN area around YORKDALE MALL in TORONTO.
That sells DOUBLE THE WIDTH. This screen is almost 100 Inches.

Nice screen! I'm looking to wall hang a DIY fixed screen, and looking at material options. Is this screen just BOC, or a hybrid of some sort? Also, I've looked at different frame options, and have yet to settle on one. Just curious if you have any more detail on how you put yours together.

Thanks!

post #645 of 1119 Old 03-24-2013, 01:29 PM

Hi, I had my projector and receiver set up. At the beginning, whenever the projector turned on, receiver turned on automatically, I thought it was very neat (they are just plugged into regular outlets). However, this function suddenly stop working, now I have to manually switch both projector and receiver. Has anyone seen this before? Did I accidentally change some settings on projector or receiver that I did not know of? How can I have it back?
post #646 of 1119 Old 03-25-2013, 05:47 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by fifa007 View Post

Hi, I had my projector and receiver set up. At the beginning, whenever the projector turned on, receiver turned on automatically, I thought it was very neat (they are just plugged into regular outlets). However, this function suddenly stop working, now I have to manually switch both projector and receiver. Has anyone seen this before? Did I accidentally change some settings on projector or receiver that I did not know of? How can I have it back?

Hi. Check page 66 of your manual to set up HDMI link.

HD DVD = 64
Blu-Ray = 171
Blu-Ray 3D = 10
SDVD = 585
post #647 of 1119 Old 03-25-2013, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngwest36 View Post

Hi. Check page 66 of your manual to set up HDMI link.

Thanks, I figured out and reset hdmi link, and it is working now!
post #648 of 1119 Old 03-25-2013, 07:44 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Driver View Post

Nice screen! I'm looking to wall hang a DIY fixed screen, and looking at material options. Is this screen just BOC, or a hybrid of some sort? Also, I've looked at different frame options, and have yet to settle on one. Just curious if you have any more detail on how you put yours together.

Thanks!

I got most of my design from here. But since I was not going to wall mount it. And have it moveable. I needed to ask some crossbars against the back
to prevent bending. I cut the frame. Then stretched felt, and stapled the back to all 4 pieces separately. Then attach the pieces. And then stretched the
BLACK OUT CLOTH. Pull Tight Staple, Pull Tight Staple...etc......
You use the NON rubber side of the Blackout. Rubber side on BACK. White side for projection.

http://members.shaw.ca/danhanson/Theater/screen/screenproject.htm

iMIKE THEATRE
post #649 of 1119 Old 03-26-2013, 05:25 PM

Any other good gadgets that go well with this projector ? (I've got an audio system)
post #650 of 1119 Old 03-26-2013, 06:04 PM
exm
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock2323 View Post

Any other good gadgets that go well with this projector ? (I've got an audio system)

A Marantz AV8801 pre-amp smile.gif
post #651 of 1119 Old 03-26-2013, 07:06 PM

For my home set up, I used a DIY paint called Black Widow. Results were great, really helped with the blacks on the 3020. I don't have my boarder around it yet but, here is what it looks like....

post #652 of 1119 Old 03-26-2013, 07:08 PM

haha in my dreams!! that cost more than my projector !
post #653 of 1119 Old 03-27-2013, 10:49 AM

Hi, I got my 3020e this week and I'm loving it! Out of the box, without even configuring it, it looks amazing. I didn't even have to adjust the zoom or focus - I guess I happen to have it set up at the perfect distance.

Anyway... I love the wireless HDMI. And I was wondering if I can set up a wireless AUDIO solution for this. I just need two speakers up front. And I've seen a couple of Bluetooth and HDMI -enabled tower speakers.

I was wondering: Do you happen to know about a WIRELESS HDMI RECEIVER that is *compatible* with the EPSON HDMI TRANSMITTER that came with this thing?

Maybe I could buy HDMI speakers and just get a couple of HDMI receivers that are compatible with the Epson and Boom!
post #654 of 1119 Old 03-27-2013, 11:03 AM

I called Epson. They said they didn't know of HDMI receivers compatible with their 3020e transmitter. But I wonder if someone out there could hack something.

Still continuing to explore the possibilities of having audio over bluetooth, a composite wireless signal, or even wireless HDMI. If you know of anything, please share!
post #655 of 1119 Old 03-28-2013, 11:00 PM

hello, i just bought the visual apex package with the 106" fixed screen, this is my first projector set up and i am worry i will mess something up...lol
i have a few questions. my room is 12 by 23 feet with 8 feet ceilings.. i was wondering how far back i should set my couch and projector.. the projector will be ceiling mount. i went to the epson calculator and it said 10'3" - 16'8", so does that mean i can set it up at 13 or 14 feet?? sorry about all the questions, just want to make sure i set everything up right the first time, before i start drilling holes in the ceiling..
post #656 of 1119 Old 03-29-2013, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybb View Post

hello, i just bought the visual apex package with the 106" fixed screen, this is my first projector set up and i am worry i will mess something up...lol
i have a few questions. my room is 12 by 23 feet with 8 feet ceilings.. i was wondering how far back i should set my couch and projector.. the projector will be ceiling mount. i went to the epson calculator and it said 10'3" - 16'8", so does that mean i can set it up at 13 or 14 feet?? sorry about all the questions, just want to make sure i set everything up right the first time, before i start drilling holes in the ceiling..
I guess it depends how large of a picture you desire (diagonal size). What is the height of the 106in screen?

I almost went for the Visual Apex package as well, seems like a great deal for projector, screen (fixed or electrical) and mount. Good luck!
post #657 of 1119 Old 03-29-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

I guess it depends how large of a picture you desire (diagonal size). What is the height of the 106in screen?

I almost went for the Visual Apex package as well, seems like a great deal for projector, screen (fixed or electrical) and mount. Good luck!

not to sure on the height.. everything is still in the box.. i will have it together and ready to put up this weekend...
post #658 of 1119 Old 03-29-2013, 02:08 PM

Hi !

What ceiling mount should I get for this projector? I'm trying to go as flush to the ceiling as possible. Ceiling's only 8 feet. There's a 2 1/2" wooden beam up there that at least one screw could go into... the rest is drywall.

I unfortunately bought the wrong one from Chief, apparently. Maybe the RPA Series LCD/DLP ceiling mount will still work. But the Brackets - the SLBU/SLMU Universal Interface Brackets - don't fit at all.

So maybe I just need the right bracket and I can keep the mount...

Or maybe this is right and I'm missing something?

This is what I got:

CHIEF RPAUW Universal Projector Mount
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824999322
post #659 of 1119 Old 03-29-2013, 03:52 PM

Liked: 53
Call Chief they make a custom plate for that projector that will work with that mount. I think they also have a different universal arm set that is longer if those are too short. I prefer the plates they cost a little more but are more solid. The disadvantage to the plate is that you have no adjustability to move the projector left or right since the 302 doesn't have lens shift. But, if you get the lens centered on the screen it is not an issue.
post #660 of 1119 Old 03-30-2013, 12:41 AM

Turns out the package was the right one after all -- i just hadn't gotten the Pipe or the Pipe plate. i guess I can just pick one up at Home Depot or Lowes. So far I'm thinking this for the pipe: http://www.lowes.com/pd_25555-29760-10810_0__?Ntt=1-1%2F2+inch+x+6+inch+pipe&UserSearch=1-1%2F2+inch+x+6+inch+pipe&productId=4330228&rpp=32
As long as the threads fit...

And for the pipe plate, I'm not sure...

A 1 1/2" floor flange? http://www.lowes.com/pd_30256-29760-61007_0__?productId=4330334&Ntt=floor+flange&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dfloor%2Bflange&facetInfo=

As long as the threading is enough...
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson , Epson Projector , Epson V11h501020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020 2d And 3d Home Theater Projector , Epson V11h502020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020e 2d And 3d 1080p Wireless Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread - V11h501020 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page