Official Epson Home Cinema 3020 Thread - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 1090 Old 07-08-2013, 02:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Sorry if I'm late, or missed something in posting this info. Or it's already been posted. I've been away.

Center that projector in the ceiling.

Center that screen.

and have you used this.

EPSON PROJECTOR CALCULATOR

DON'T ever use KEYSTONE.

FROM CEILING MOUNT. BASICALLY YOUR PROJECTOR LENS NEEDS TO BE AT THE TOP HEIGHT OF THE SCREEN.

Sorry if this info has been given out already.

iMIKE THEATRE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 1090 Old 07-09-2013, 11:42 AM

Liked: 10
Ok.thanks.ill try put evrything and will upload pictures
post #813 of 1090 Old 07-09-2013, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloForce View Post

Sorry if I'm late, or missed something in posting this info. Or it's already been posted. I've been away.

Center that projector in the ceiling.

Center that screen.

and have you used this.

EPSON PROJECTOR CALCULATOR

DON'T ever use KEYSTONE.

FROM CEILING MOUNT. BASICALLY YOUR PROJECTOR LENS NEEDS TO BE AT THE TOP HEIGHT OF THE SCREEN.

Sorry if this info has been given out already.

iMIKE THEATRE

+1

Yep, center of the lens aligned with the center top of the screen when ceiling mounted.wink.gif

Ed
post #814 of 1090 Old 07-11-2013, 05:46 AM

Hello again.can some body post good settings for 3020 please. I have dark room, so no windows. Im confused with all these settings.its looks good but i know it may be better. If somebody can share best settings for this projector ill b happy:)
post #815 of 1090 Old 07-11-2013, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrvigurik View Post

Hello again.can some body post good settings for 3020 please. I have dark room, so no windows. Im confused with all these settings.its looks good but i know it may be better. If somebody can share best settings for this projector ill b happy:)

http://www.projectorreviews.com/epson/home-cinema-3020/calibration.php

I found that Mike's RGB post calibration settings in Cinema Mode gave me a real good start in my dark room. From there I tweaked Contrast, Color, and Gamma just a bit to preference. All rooms are different, so YMMV.

post #816 of 1090 Old 07-12-2013, 07:16 PM

I'm having off and on issues with picture dropping out that I think is related to HDMI cable lenght of 35'. My AVR manufacturer (Onkyo) recommended an HDMI conditioner or booster. I tried one I got from Radio Shack, but it did not work (no picture at all). Anyone have any luck with one?

post #817 of 1090 Old 07-12-2013, 07:53 PM

Liked: 53

Look at Ethereal or Spectrum Electronic Solutions for good HDMI restorers.

post #818 of 1090 Old 07-12-2013, 11:04 PM

Liked: 11
I'm using an 50' Redmere HDMI cable with Onkyo AVR with no problems at all. Bought on monoprice.com for about $50.
post #819 of 1090 Old 07-14-2013, 09:31 PM

hello my 3020 when i'm watching a 3d movie u can see like ghost and i play with the setting and i can't get it fix.....the is something that i not doing good or i need to call epson and see if the projector have a problem?

pls help!
thanks
post #820 of 1090 Old 07-16-2013, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Driver View Post

I'm having off and on issues with picture dropping out that I think is related to HDMI cable lenght of 35'. My AVR manufacturer (Onkyo) recommended an HDMI conditioner or booster. I tried one I got from Radio Shack, but it did not work (no picture at all). Anyone have any luck with one?

Start with turning off "deep color" in any sources you might have, and also check that the Onkyo is set to "pass through only". 35' is a pretty long run where anything over about 20' can start to have drop out issues on lower quality/lower gauge cabling. Red Mere, as suggested, would be a good replacement and reasonably priced. The connection is specific, as the data flow is "one way" with those cables.
post #821 of 1090 Old 07-16-2013, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricancuteboy View Post

hello my 3020 when i'm watching a 3d movie u can see like ghost and i play with the setting and i can't get it fix.....the is something that i not doing good or i need to call epson and see if the projector have a problem?

pls help!
thanks

Is the issue the same on different movies? Not all movies will perform well, especially ones that are poorly remade to 3d.
post #822 of 1090 Old 07-16-2013, 05:53 PM

they only movie i don"t have this problem or u can see less is transformers 3d but i have 30 3d movie and i have this problem..so u think is not the projector then?
post #823 of 1090 Old 07-16-2013, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricancuteboy View Post

they only movie i don"t have this problem or u can see less is transformers 3d but i have 30 3d movie and i have this problem..so u think is not the projector then?

No, I don't know if the pj is at fault, or if the content your seeing it on is the problem? But if it that noticeable on 29 out of 30 movies, then the pj may need to be replaced?
post #824 of 1090 Old 07-18-2013, 11:08 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserob View Post

My first 3020 unit wasn't able to sharply focus. At first I thought maybe that's just how it is, but after reading the reviews I knew something had to be wrong. I had the unit ceiling mounted, so just out of curiosity I tried floor mounting the unit and to my surprise, I was able to focus a crisp sharp image. Received a replacement unit from EPSON (best customer service, received next day) the ceiling mounted focus issue is gone. I've also noticed that with my setup I get a sharper, more crisp picture using ECO mode in cinema since this thing produces so much light. I also have super resolution set to 3.

This is my thing now. No matter what I have tried - I continue to get halos/ghosting around textual elements, lines, patterns etc. All my movies whether HD or SD have what appears to be a little "filter" over them - like the lens needs to be tweaked to hit the sweet spot. But there is no sweet spot to hit. I have tried everything I can think of. Except maybe that LCD convergence secret menu trick?

It's very clear to me and all other members of the family (wanted to make sure my eyes weren't playing tricks) that there is some sort of focus issue present here.

Next step is to call Epson I guess.

VP
post #825 of 1090 Old 07-18-2013, 10:07 PM

I've had four Epson pj's (three 3010s and a 3020) and two of them had the issue you just described. LCD alignment did nothing for the 2 that had the issue, but it did help fine tune the 2 that did not have the issue. Call Epson and describe your problem. They have been very helpful in resolving mine.

post #826 of 1090 Old 07-31-2013, 06:31 AM

Hey guys,
Have any of you guys had this problem. one week ago. i turned on my projector and nothing. so of course i panicked. it seems that the the first hdmi input has failed. no signal coming through at all, has anyone had this happen. changed cables, used my ps3 and cable box directly nothing as opposed to through my receiver, the second input work perfectly so the first input just seemed to die. this should be something covered under warranty right i have only had it since december and it only have 700 hours on it. Also, how long is the turn around time for a replacement from epson?

thanks
steve
post #827 of 1090 Old 07-31-2013, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by househusband36 View Post

Hey guys,
Have any of you guys had this problem. one week ago. i turned on my projector and nothing. so of course i panicked. it seems that the the first hdmi input has failed. no signal coming through at all, has anyone had this happen. changed cables, used my ps3 and cable box directly nothing as opposed to through my receiver, the second input work perfectly so the first input just seemed to die. this should be something covered under warranty right i have only had it since december and it only have 700 hours on it. Also, how long is the turn around time for a replacement from epson?

thanks
steve

Absolutely should be covered under warranty. Shouldn't take more than 2 or 3 days to receive a replacement. Call 'em!

Good luck!

Ed
post #828 of 1090 Old 07-31-2013, 10:37 AM

I have a 20' + ceiling since I am in a loft, and I want to set the projector on a shelf on the back wall behind the sofa. This means it will be up about 5-6ft off the ground 16.5' from the 128" screen. Will this work? I have a feeling at that height it will project the image very high on the wall...can the projector be on a shelf and set to project the image down (image starts from lens height and goes down? Thanks.

Think I answered my own question with research and ordered an actual wall mount so it can be mounted upside down.
post #829 of 1090 Old 08-03-2013, 09:02 AM

I too am interested in this projector so please fill us in on the details. thank you j734
post #830 of 1090 Old 08-07-2013, 04:30 PM

I'm new here and new to HT. All these forums have been an awesome resource. But I still have a lot of questions. I could post in other forums for receivers, Blu-ray players, speakers, etc., but I'll start here.

I've had my eye on the 3020e. I want 3D and I want the wireless. I've read this entire forum so I've heard about the various problems (and the good customer service).

1. Are you still happy with your choice? Is there another projector I should be considering (for $2000 or even less) - such as a BenQ W1500 or other?

I already have a 92" diagonal screen (Da-Lite) - which I've been using with an old, unmounted Panasonic non-HD projector - but I'm in the market for everything else.

2. Does anyone use the Epson with a Denon AVR-1713? Thoughts?

3. I'll go ahead and add that I'm thinking about the Energy 5.1 Take Classic Home speakers. But I'd really like to replace the front speakers with the Wharfedale Diamond 10.1's. Could switch to just those two for non-surround sound music. Thoughts?

4. And I'm thinking about the Panasonic DMP-BDT230 Blu-ray player, which I hope would deliver great 2D and 3D quality from Blu-rays and DVDs, and great audio quality from CDs. True?

As you can see, I'm looking to keep my budget down. But I want to squeeze as much quality as I can out of it.

I'm an Apple user and I'm also going to add one or more of: AppleTV, Roku, Chromecast. So I don't really care about those features on the Blu-ray player or receiver.

Anyone want to share some thoughts? Should I post some of these questions in their respective forums? Any feedback at all is much appreciated! Thanks!
post #831 of 1090 Old 08-07-2013, 04:49 PM
exm
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 55
^ Yes, I am happy with the projector!!!!
post #832 of 1090 Old 08-07-2013, 07:18 PM

I love this projector.

If you aren't happy. Tell them there is a problem, and they will send a replacement unit till your 100% happy.

The image on this projector is great for an LCD and not a DLP with the risk of RGB.
If your receiver is not far away and 3D ready. Your happening.

iMIKE THEATRE
post #833 of 1090 Old 08-08-2013, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalseAnimal View Post

I'm new here and new to HT. All these forums have been an awesome resource. But I still have a lot of questions. I could post in other forums for receivers, Blu-ray players, speakers, etc., but I'll start here.

I've had my eye on the 3020e. I want 3D and I want the wireless. I've read this entire forum so I've heard about the various problems (and the good customer service).

1. Are you still happy with your choice? Is there another projector I should be considering (for $2000 or even less) - such as a BenQ W1500 or other?

I already have a 92" diagonal screen (Da-Lite) - which I've been using with an old, unmounted Panasonic non-HD projector - but I'm in the market for everything else.

2. Does anyone use the Epson with a Denon AVR-1713? Thoughts?

3. I'll go ahead and add that I'm thinking about the Energy 5.1 Take Classic Home speakers. But I'd really like to replace the front speakers with the Wharfedale Diamond 10.1's. Could switch to just those two for non-surround sound music. Thoughts?

4. And I'm thinking about the Panasonic DMP-BDT230 Blu-ray player, which I hope would deliver great 2D and 3D quality from Blu-rays and DVDs, and great audio quality from CDs. True?

As you can see, I'm looking to keep my budget down. But I want to squeeze as much quality as I can out of it.

I'm an Apple user and I'm also going to add one or more of: AppleTV, Roku, Chromecast. So I don't really care about those features on the Blu-ray player or receiver.

Anyone want to share some thoughts? Should I post some of these questions in their respective forums? Any feedback at all is much appreciated! Thanks!

I am very happy with my choice. The picture is gorgeous, easy on the eyes. I'm an obsessive tweaker, so I like the load of features on the 3020. The funny thing is that after initial calibration I haven't tweaked anything since. It's just right. Everything looks great.

Panasonic is a solid choice for blu-ray and cd playback. I used to work for a large retailer and out of the all the major brands we had fewer Panny's come back in the door for quality/performance issues. I used them for in-store demos because they were reliable. They could stay on all day long, take tons of abuse, and they kept on truckin'. Other brands were more frequently sent out for service.

Good luck man. Don't forget to have some fun.

post #834 of 1090 Old 08-08-2013, 08:35 AM

Thanks, SoloForce and fokakis1, for the quick feedback.

Someone else noted that, if I ever want to play SACDs, I'd need a Sony.

And someone else suggested the Sony BDP-S5100 as a player.

I'm not familiar enough to know - but I do want to play various kinds of audio discs (as well as 2D and 3D Blu-ray).

And, as for the Epson, which I've had my eye on for a long time... do you really think it's superior to a less expensive BenQ (or other)?
post #835 of 1090 Old 08-10-2013, 07:33 PM

Quote:

Thanks, SoloForce and fokakis1, for the quick feedback.

Someone else noted that, if I ever want to play SACDs, I'd need a Sony.

And someone else suggested the Sony BDP-S5100 as a player.

I'm not familiar enough to know - but I do want to play various kinds of audio discs (as well as 2D and 3D Blu-ray).

And, as for the Epson, which I've had my eye on for a long time... do you really think it's superior to a less expensive BenQ (or other)?

I use the PS3 as my bluray player which also plays CD, and Video Games, And Video Games in 3D if the game is in 3D.
It also has Netflix. And if your web provider, or area allows for SUPER HD streaming thru Netflix, or 3D video on Netflix...that's a plus.
Besides that I also use the WD TV Live Media Player and have 2 TB hard drives hooked up to it and ready to go with Many Many Many Movies on it.
Including 3D Side By Side Films. You can also upload or stream both on the PS3 or WD TV Live. But keep in mind the PS3 has Cinavia Protection.

iMIKE THEATRE
post #836 of 1090 Old 08-13-2013, 10:56 PM

I'm hoping to read some professional reviews soon to see the comparison. mysm
post #837 of 1090 Old 08-14-2013, 05:51 AM

Hi there,

that's my 1st post here despite a lot of lurking during the past monts.
First of all "thank you" to people who provided valuable info about this projector.

I wanted to buy an home cinema since I re-settled in Europe (Belgium) and I was thinking of entry-level units. After a lot of reading, price study, reviews reading and showcase visits, I figured out that I was sensible to Rainbow Effect... So it let me few choices (LCD technology) and with my budget I wanted the Epson 8345. I liked the idea of lens shift because my living room setup is restrictive.
After some reading the dust filter seems to be broken and the image is just OK.

I had a budget of 1000 € but thanks to recommendations found here in the forum I understood the adage "you get what you pay". Then I bought this piece 1400€, bundled with a 92" optoma screen.
I precisely positionned my unit to be right in the middle of the screen to limit lens shift. Actually lens shift could be bad the the image and you can't do much with this unity anyway. I'm very meticulous and it was fun to use plumb-line with my wife to position the projector smile.gif Then I used SoloForce numbers for calibration. btw, thank you for sharing your numbers, your contribution to the community is great !

And the experience was outstanding ! Sometimes Greys are not very precise and I need to re-check the calibration but every time I turn on the projector => WOW !
Usually I watch Blu Rays using a PS3 and the image is cristal clear. Also I find the image interpolation very good with DVD.
I'm not playing games but I should. I'm not using 3D because calibration seems laborious and from my point of view this projector is not designed for 3D, it is a marketing speech.

So yes I'm very happy with my choice, I feel very lucky. My message here would be :"if you want to invest in an home cinema, wait, save money to get a good one".
I hope the unit won't be broken before many years...

My next step is to change my stereo 2.0 HiFi system to a dolby 5.1 one. If somebody could share a good link on an affordable/effective 5.1 system I'll be grateful.
post #838 of 1090 Old 08-15-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:

I finally got Epson on the case and received my replacement unit yesterday - I will be installing it on Saturday to see if my "sharpness" issues are resolved.

Q: Are all these "replacement" units actually refurbs? And how do we feel about that.?

My replacement has nothing but a return postage sticker and the unit itself. I took a quick look at it and examined the housing - it's clear that this unit has been at someone elses house prior to being at mine. I am really struggling with sending my "new" retail unit back to Epson and keeping some one elses beater. Does anyone have any insight as to exactly what Epson does as part of their refurb process.

Q2: Do these refurbs come with a new bulb? Or am I getting a bulk with 1534 hrs on it that has had the counter reset to zero?

VP
post #839 of 1090 Old 08-15-2013, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vocalpoint View Post

I finally got Epson on the case and received my replacement unit yesterday - I will be installing it on Saturday to see if my "sharpness" issues are resolved.

Q: Are all these "replacement" units actually refurbs? And how do we feel about that.?

My replacement has nothing but a return postage sticker and the unit itself. I took a quick look at it and examined the housing - it's clear that this unit has been at someone elses house prior to being at mine. I am really struggling with sending my "new" retail unit back to Epson and keeping some one elses beater. Does anyone have any insight as to exactly what Epson does as part of their refurb process.

Q2: Do these refurbs come with a new bulb? Or am I getting a bulk with 1534 hrs on it that has had the counter reset to zero?

VP

Not all replacement units are refurbs. According to Epson, if they come in the original factory box they are new (even if the box is open or accessories are missing) unless the box is marked as a refurb. If they come in a plain white box then they are refurbs. Epson also says that they have new bulbs.

To find out how many "real" hours the projector has been used:

1. Turn on the PJ.

2. Press and hold the Menu-Button on the pj or remote for 8 sec.

3. Press the ESC-Button on the pj or remote twice.

A window will appear with menu items. With the
"Arrow-right" and "Arrow-left"-Button you can see several other Information-Windows.

If your pj has been turned on/off 3 times or less it is most likely a new unit.

post #840 of 1090 Old 08-17-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fokakis1 View Post

Not all replacement units are refurbs. According to Epson, if they come in the original factory box they are new (even if the box is open or accessories are missing) unless the box is marked as a refurb. If they come in a plain white box then they are refurbs. Epson also says that they have new bulbs.

To find out how many "real" hours the projector has been used:

1. Turn on the PJ.

2. Press and hold the Menu-Button on the pj or remote for 8 sec.

3. Press the ESC-Button on the pj or remote twice.

A window will appear with menu items. With the
"Arrow-right" and "Arrow-left"-Button you can see several other Information-Windows.

If your pj has been turned on/off 3 times or less it is most likely a new unit.

Thanks for the info. My replacement was "white box". I checked the system menu and the Lamp On/Off was recorded as three times...so a decent bulb.

However to my disappointment - I just put it up on the mount minutes agao and the sharpness exhibits the same issue as my original unit. Fuzzy text with clear ghosting/haloing or what I like to call "snow blowing off the tops of each letter". I tested the sharpness of the text with the settings menu and my Spears and Munsil BR calibration disc. Without even getting into the calibration test you can clearly see the sharpness is not there with even the menus on this bluray. An as usual - no amount of fiddling with the focus dial makes a bit of difference.

One thing I did notice with this replacement unit is when I flipped it to place it on the mount (my unit sits inverted on the ceiling) I could hear bits and pieces rattling around in the housing - which cannot be a good thing. Just got off the phone with Epson moments ago to inform them that this replacement unit is not working and they are now overnight me another.

So here I go into the endless cycle of replacements...must say I was so jazzed to have picked Epson and this PJ at the start of this basement reno but now - I am quickly declining into a very negative opinion of this company and their quality control. For 1500 dollars you would think the unit would work correctly.

Sigh.

VP
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson , Epson Projector , Epson V11h501020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020 2d And 3d Home Theater Projector , Epson V11h502020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020e 2d And 3d 1080p Wireless Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread - V11h501020 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page