post #901 of 1119 Old 11-05-2013, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan1son View Post

Just moved into a new house with a dedicated theater room. I bought the 3020 and an elite screen 110" fixed job. The projector and screen combined took about an hour and a half to unpack, assemble, align, and hang (first time using a projector and building/mounting a screen). Alignment is perfect. The only issue I have with the projector is a significantly loud auto iris. For now I just turned off the auto iris as I don't find it's use to really effect the picture all that much anyway. I might call Epson to get an idea on how loud it 'should' be and possibly get another one to try if I eventually decide the iris is worth the trouble. With the projector directly above the seats on an 8 foot ceiling it's a very noticeable chatter during quiet scenes or, even worse, fast forward/rewinding. It sounds like a loud hard disk seeking.

Otherwise I'm very impressed with the picture of the thing. It focused right up, convergence is very close (just a little off at the bottom of the screen which you can only see up close). Cinema mode with default settings for now, after a little lamp burn in I'll probably get it calibrated. Even in defaults it looks very good though. I have another professionally calibrated set in the house and the 3020 is very close to it... probably a bit over saturated and maybe a bit red on the darks just from visual inspections.

Great little projector for a good price. Going to grab a 3d blu-ray of some sort soon to test that portion out. With that screen size it might be interesting in 3d.
sounds like your experience is overall good, cool.

I purchased a 3020 a few months back (from Crutchfield). Also got an Elite VMAX2 Series retractable 92in screen (VMAX92H). I have a somewhat small room (11ft X 11ft X 8ftH), 9ft viewing distance. Still waiting to get things set-up (beluieve it or not). I would assume my configuration would yield similiar results (usng equal projector and similiar screen product)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 1119 Old 11-05-2013, 08:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I purchased a 3020 a couple weeks ago. Set it up immediately, connected to an older Samsung Blu-ray player (non-3d). Fantastic picture, brightness is excellent in my media room with quite a bit of ambient light (big south-facing windows in the basement). I'm using it with an Elite Screens 115" 2.35 acoustically transparent screen, and have it mounted to the ceiling with a Peerless mount at a distance of about 13 feet. The Blu-ray is connected through a Denon e400, with Monoprice in-wall left, center, and right behind the screen.

I haven't calibrated it yet--Disney WOW disc to arrive tomorrow. But so far I'm happy with the unit.

The only trouble I've had is with a 40-foot Redmere cable from Monoprice. It worked for about three days, and then refused to work again. I suspected the projector, but when I connected a TV to the sink end of the cable, it wouldn't display anything either. When I connected via a wireless HDMI extender, it started working again.

So I'm one of those who purchased an Epson and was happy with the first unit received. So far...
post #903 of 1119 Old 11-07-2013, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffm13 View Post

I purchased a 3020 a couple weeks ago. Set it up immediately, connected to an older Samsung Blu-ray player (non-3d). Fantastic picture, brightness is excellent in my media room with quite a bit of ambient light (big south-facing windows in the basement). I'm using it with an Elite Screens 115" 2.35 acoustically transparent screen, and have it mounted to the ceiling with a Peerless mount at a distance of about 13 feet. The Blu-ray is connected through a Denon e400, with Monoprice in-wall left, center, and right behind the screen.

I haven't calibrated it yet--Disney WOW disc to arrive tomorrow. But so far I'm happy with the unit.

The only trouble I've had is with a 40-foot Redmere cable from Monoprice. It worked for about three days, and then refused to work again. I suspected the projector, but when I connected a TV to the sink end of the cable, it wouldn't display anything either. When I connected via a wireless HDMI extender, it started working again.

So I'm one of those who purchased an Epson and was happy with the first unit received. So far...
sounds good.

My unit was ordered back in March 2013 from Crutchfield, hoping for clean operation. This is a one-shot deal for me, that is- physically installing Peerless wall bracket and mounting projector, etc.,...I don't have the means (physically & financially) to repeatedly un-install and re-ship projector unit back for exchange if necessary. I have to commission installers to do everything.

I am still weighing which brand 30ft-plus HDMI cable to go for as well. I've always had good luck with AudioQuest and Monster personally. I've considered MonoPrice and other's, but I'm a little skeptical.

By the way your wood shop looks great, wish I had that set-up.
post #904 of 1119 Old 11-08-2013, 03:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I had my mind set on an Epson projector either the 3020 or 5020 if the budget could handle it. Now after reading all the threads about Epson projectors and all the problems everyone is having I don't know wth to do. How can such a large company put out such a bad product over and over? It's completely unacceptable for this to happen, I can't believe some guys go through 5 or more projectors just to get one that works properly. Can you imagine if you bought a new Honda and had to return it 5 times to get one that had a working ac or would drive straight.
Epson should be embarrassed.
post #905 of 1119 Old 11-08-2013, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundersnow View Post

I had my mind set on an Epson projector either the 3020 or 5020 if the budget could handle it. Now after reading all the threads about Epson projectors and all the problems everyone is having I don't know wth to do. How can such a large company put out such a bad product over and over? It's completely unacceptable for this to happen, I can't believe some guys go through 5 or more projectors just to get one that works properly. Can you imagine if you bought a new Honda and had to return it 5 times to get one that had a working ac or would drive straight.
Epson should be embarrassed.

I agree to with you to a point. But I am coming from the thought that this being a new technology at an affordable price for projecting 3D. That there's bound to have problems in a competitive market place. I still am very glad, despite all that has happened. That I have chosen to go through what I have, to the get the image, 3D, brightness of this 3020 Projector compared to others in almost double the price. IMO.

But what ever you get. See what the return policy is. If you have the time, check them out. In your home setting rather then a showroom. If you don't like it. Go to the next model. That's what I did. And I still preferred the overall product of the 3020.

iMIKE THEATRE
post #906 of 1119 Old 11-08-2013, 10:23 AM

Liked: 10
I've had the 3020 for about 10 months and I always noticed that the letters weren't crisp but the movies looked great, i figured I had to do a minor LCD alignment. A couple of days ago finally decided to do it, and no matter what I did i just couldn't get it right. Then I noticed that the alignment pop-up menu when on the right side of the screen was crisp but when on the left half of the screen, it wasn't. I went and made sure my projector was centered and called EPSON. To my amazement, the tech knew exactly what I was talking about and said it was the optical engine, or maybe it was the light engine....not sure, but they are sending me a replacement. if you press the "Pattern" button on the remote you can see that the horizontal line on the right is crisp and on the left it's not. Why am I writing this? When I was researching projectors and read this thread, people would complain about not having crisp letters and living with it. if you have the same symptoms as I do, call Epson.

just had to share.....
post #907 of 1119 Old 11-08-2013, 06:25 PM

I've had my 3020 set up for a few months now and absolutely love it. The only REAL problem I have is not spending enough time watching movies. Other than that, an issue I have is getting my Logitech Harmony 650 remote to shut down the projector when I hit all off. The remote turns off everything else, but I have to manually choose the projector to turn it off. The remote turns everything on ok, but won't turn the projector off. Anyone have any ideas? I'm also going to look for a place to post this under remotes.

Thanks

post #908 of 1119 Old 11-08-2013, 08:55 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Driver View Post

I've had my 3020 set up for a few months now and absolutely love it. The only REAL problem I have is not spending enough time watching movies. Other than that, an issue I have is getting my Logitech Harmony 650 remote to shut down the projector when I hit all off. The remote turns off everything else, but I have to manually choose the projector to turn it off. The remote turns everything on ok, but won't turn the projector off. Anyone have any ideas? I'm also going to look for a place to post this under remotes.

Thanks

Do you have your HDMI link turned on, on the projector...and still it doesn't work?

iMIKE THEATRE
post #909 of 1119 Old 11-09-2013, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloForce View Post

Do you have your HDMI link turned on, on the projector...and still it doesn't work?

iMIKE THEATRE

Sorry, amateur here. Is that a setting on the projector? If so, I'm not sure; I'll have to check. I know it 'talks' to the DVD player (the DVD player will turn on when the projector is turned on). I have the receiver, dvd player, and projector setup on 'Watch Movie'. All come on when I hit that button, but I have to go to Devices and select the projector then off to shut it down.

I'll try to go down there today and see if I see the HDMI link setting.

EDIT: I just checked, the HDMI link is turned on.

post #910 of 1119 Old 11-12-2013, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrguzmanr View Post

I've had the 3020 for about 10 months and I always noticed that the letters weren't crisp but the movies looked great, i figured I had to do a minor LCD alignment. A couple of days ago finally decided to do it, and no matter what I did i just couldn't get it right. Then I noticed that the alignment pop-up menu when on the right side of the screen was crisp but when on the left half of the screen, it wasn't. I went and made sure my projector was centered and called EPSON. To my amazement, the tech knew exactly what I was talking about and said it was the optical engine, or maybe it was the light engine....not sure, but they are sending me a replacement. if you press the "Pattern" button on the remote you can see that the horizontal line on the right is crisp and on the left it's not. Why am I writing this? When I was researching projectors and read this thread, people would complain about not having crisp letters and living with it. if you have the same symptoms as I do, call Epson.

just had to share.....

I received my first replacement yesterday, powered it up, looks great! when I'm going to connect my hdmi to it, I notice that the casing was not put on properly. Somebody couldn't notice it BEFORE shipping it. I called and they overnight a second one, this one the convergence is way off and the fan is loud and sounds like, how can I describe it....like a "spanish R".

Come on Epson, some Q&A please. I appreciate the overnight mailing but if it's not up to standards, what good is it? Take an extra day or two and send me a unit that is "like new".
post #911 of 1119 Old 11-13-2013, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrguzmanr View Post

I received my first replacement yesterday, powered it up, looks great! when I'm going to connect my hdmi to it, I notice that the casing was not put on properly. Somebody couldn't notice it BEFORE shipping it. I called and they overnight a second one, this one the convergence is way off and the fan is loud and sounds like, how can I describe it....like a "spanish R".

Come on Epson, some Q&A please. I appreciate the overnight mailing but if it's not up to standards, what good is it? Take an extra day or two and send me a unit that is "like new".

It's unbelievable how horrible the quality control is with Epson. Why does it continue to be so bad?
post #912 of 1119 Old 11-16-2013, 10:04 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Just ordered a 3020 refurbished directly through them. Now I'm in panic mode after reading all this. I'm coming from the 8700 ub and now I wish I hadn't sold it. It was such a reliable piece.
I have a few questions:

Will this mount work????

http://www.amazon.com/Lightweight-Aluminum-Projector-Bracket-Silver/dp/B00BSYDRLQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1384659965&sr=8-2&keywords=projector+wall+mount

What's the best way to line up the projector to the center portion of the screen without drilling holes all over the back wall ..???

Is buying a refurbished unit through them better than buying it through other online retailers?

What's the best 35-40ft run of hdmi cable with the least handshake ?
post #913 of 1119 Old 11-17-2013, 01:18 PM
exm
AVS Special Member

Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecamaross View Post

Just ordered a 3020 refurbished directly through them. Now I'm in panic mode after reading all this. I'm coming from the 8700 ub and now I wish I hadn't sold it. It was such a reliable piece.
I have a few questions:

Will this mount work????

http://www.amazon.com/Lightweight-Aluminum-Projector-Bracket-Silver/dp/B00BSYDRLQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1384659965&sr=8-2&keywords=projector+wall+mount

What's the best way to line up the projector to the center portion of the screen without drilling holes all over the back wall ..???

Is buying a refurbished unit through them better than buying it through other online retailers?

What's the best 35-40ft run of hdmi cable with the least handshake ?

Don't panic. Even with refurbs you'll get excellent customer service. They have sold thousands of these units and only a few have issues and I think it's best you used their website.

That mount should work and you have do some measuring in regards to your drilling question. For a cable that length I would highly recommend BJC. Good luck.
post #914 of 1119 Old 11-19-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fokakis1 View Post

Not all replacement units are refurbs. According to Epson, if they come in the original factory box they are new (even if the box is open or accessories are missing) unless the box is marked as a refurb. If they come in a plain white box then they are refurbs. Epson also says that they have new bulbs.

To find out how many "real" hours the projector has been used:

1. Turn on the PJ.

2. Press and hold the Menu-Button on the pj or remote for 8 sec.

3. Press the ESC-Button on the pj or remote twice.

A window will appear with menu items. With the
"Arrow-right" and "Arrow-left"-Button you can see several other Information-Windows.
Hi
If your pj has been turned on/off 3 times or less it is most likely a new unit.

ARE YOU SUUUUUUURE ABOUT THE BOX BEING AN INDICATOR OF IT BEING USED?
post #915 of 1119 Old 11-19-2013, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloForce View Post

iMIKE THEATRE

I verified that the HDMI link is turned on, and it still won't shut off with the All Off command. I'm trying to add another off command to the shutdown, but so far no luck.

On a different topic, does anyone use an HDMI booster or signal conditioner for longer cable runs? I have a 30' HDMI, and had some issues with picture and sound from my DVD player, but after a receiver firmware update, that seems ok. However, using an OTA DVR, the picture will sometimes go into an almost slow motion looking mode. I have to pause for a second or two, then it seems fine. I'm thinking I may still have an issue with the length of the cable. The receiver manufacturer (Onkyo) had suggested a booster or conditioner. I was curious if there was one that anyone had and liked/disliked, especially for the 3020.

post #916 of 1119 Old 11-20-2013, 01:00 PM

Liked: 11
Okay, Just picked up a 3020 at lunch today from BestBuy after returning a 2030. Turned out the 2030 didn't have enough placement flexibility when I got home and took some measurements. I am replacing a Mitsubishi HD1000U which I have had for like 5 yrs now. Power supply finally went up in it and it needed a new lamp so I took the opportunity to go 1080P & 3d... I think my current ceiling mount should work good. I am centered up with the screen and my lens should end up right about top center of my screen. Will hopefully get this all hooked up this evening! I have a DVD iScan Duo everything plugs into and a 5:1 Klipsch speaker system. Audio is handled by a Pioneer VSX-2010 receiver.

My current system has been sitting idle for months now since the power supply went up so I am looking forward to getting back into it!. I'll be breaking out the laptop, Meter and Calman to do a complete calibration over the weekend if I dont hit any snags along the way! Wish me luck.

Dave N
Joppa, Maryland
post #917 of 1119 Old 11-20-2013, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:

ARE YOU SUUUUUUURE ABOUT THE BOX BEING AN INDICATOR OF IT BEING USED?

Not at all. This is what I was told by an Epson CSR during a phone call. Based on my own experience this may not be the case. That is why I recommended accessing the hidden menu to get a better idea of the units actual usage.

post #918 of 1119 Old 11-20-2013, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fokakis1 View Post

Not at all. This is what I was told by an Epson CSR during a phone call. Based on my own experience this may not be the case. That is why I recommended accessing the hidden menu to get a better idea of the units actual usage.

CAN U POST HOW TO ACCESS IT?
post #919 of 1119 Old 11-20-2013, 04:33 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:

CAN U POST HOW TO ACCESS IT?

PM sent.

post #920 of 1119 Old 11-20-2013, 05:07 PM

Well Guys, an hour later after dinner and we have lift off... Projector is up mounted to the ceiling and looks incredible! No focus issues and the color is incredible... This thing is a light cannon. I cant believe how bright it is only to find out it is only in Cinema mode as well.... Plenty of lumens to spare here! eek.gif Im gonna have to dial this back a bit... Just wanted you all to know keep the faith, and not everybody has problems.. Cant wait to calibrate.... although not much to change in my eye.

Dave N
Joppa, Maryland
post #921 of 1119 Old 11-21-2013, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpnaylor View Post

Well Guys, an hour later after dinner and we have lift off... Projector is up mounted to the ceiling and looks incredible! No focus issues and the color is incredible... This thing is a light cannon. I cant believe how bright it is only to find out it is only in Cinema mode as well.... Plenty of lumens to spare here! eek.gif Im gonna have to dial this back a bit... Just wanted you all to know keep the faith, and not everybody has problems.. Cant wait to calibrate.... although not much to change in my eye.

That's great news, I'm glad not all of them are failures.
post #922 of 1119 Old 11-21-2013, 07:46 AM

HI GUYS I JUST BOUGHT A REFURBISHED 3020 AND NO ISSUES. . PERFECT ALIGNMENT, COLORS, NO NOISES, GREAT FOCUS AND ILL GO OUT ON A LIMB AND SAY THIS UNIT LOOKS BETTER TO ME THAN MY 8700UB. . EVERYTHING POPS, COLORS ARE BEAUTIFUL AND NOT DULL LIKE THE 8700UB.
QUESTION FOR U, HOW MANY OF YOU GUYS USE ONLY TWO MOUNTING HOLES INSTEAD OF AlL FOUR? THE MOUNT I BIUGHT ONLY ALLOWS FOR THREE HOLES BUT IT WONT REALLY REACH ALL 3 BECAUSE THE PROJECTOR IS TOO BIG. . CAN I ONLY JUST USE THE TWO FRONT ONES? IT FEELS. PRETTY STURDY. . BUT JUST WANT TO MAKE SURE? ?
post #923 of 1119 Old 11-21-2013, 09:00 AM

ANOTHER QUESTION IS WHY DOES THE SCREEN GO BLACK WHEN I ATTEMPT TO SEE THE MENU OF MY ANTHEM RECEIVER BUT IT COMES BACK TWO SECONDS LATER SHOWING THE MENU OF MY RECEIVER ? WHY DOESNT IT JUST SHOW IT RIGHT AWAY?
IS IT A SETTING?
post #924 of 1119 Old 11-21-2013, 09:35 AM

I had one instance last night where I was changing channels on my Verizon STB and the HDMI lost sync. The screen started to flicker on and off and the auto iris started going nuts because screen was changing to black. Now I have mine hooked through a iscan duo which could be causing this. I power cycled the duo and picture came back. It is also a 30 foot older Monoprice HDMI cable. (Which I have never had problems with before) Just ordered a Redmere monoprice 15 footer. Needs to be cleaned up anyway. I also force the ISCAN to output 1080P 60Hz to the projector... I know the projector is native 1080P should I be forcing it to 60Hz?? Any thoughts?

Dave N
Joppa, Maryland
post #925 of 1119 Old 11-21-2013, 09:40 AM

IMHO mounting the projector with 2 screws is probably safe enough, but you will most likely find yourself adjusting the projector slightly all the time depending on what is above your ceiling. It seems every time I turn mine on I have to tweak it just a bit. (Not a problem with a 93" ceiling and a couch under it.) My living room is right upsatirs and with two little ones running around it moves slightly, and I have a decent mount..

My guess with the receiver menu is it has to change resolution in order to display that so it take time to latch onto that signal. Probably not anything you can do about that. Be happy if it is solid and switches good for you. A 2 second wait is pretty normal I think.

Dave N
Joppa, Maryland
post #926 of 1119 Old 11-21-2013, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
Quote:

ANOTHER QUESTION IS WHY DOES THE SCREEN GO BLACK WHEN I ATTEMPT TO SEE THE MENU OF MY ANTHEM RECEIVER BUT IT COMES BACK TWO SECONDS LATER SHOWING THE MENU OF MY RECEIVER ? WHY DOESNT IT JUST SHOW IT RIGHT AWAY?
IS IT A SETTING?
Your receiver probably changes resolutions when it displays the menu, the projector is probably just resyncing to the new resolution. Some projectors (and especially HDTVs) are faster at this than others... Nothing you can do unless there is some setting on your receiver to force upscale/downscale everything to a particular resolution and keep it locked, no matter the native resolution of the channel you're tuning into.

Current HT setup:

Samsung UN65F6300 65" LCD HDTV, Polk CS20 Center, 2x Polk Monitor 75T Fronts, 2x Polk TSI300 Backs, Polk PSW110 Subwoofer.

post #927 of 1119 Old 11-21-2013, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodaboy581 View Post

Your receiver probably changes resolutions when it displays the menu, the projector is probably just resyncing to the new resolution. Some projectors (and especially HDTVs) are faster at this than others... Nothing you can do unless there is some setting on your receiver to force upscale/downscale everything to a particular resolution and keep it locked, no matter the native resolution of the channel you're tuning into.
YOU NAILED IT! IT WORKED WHEN I SWITCHED TO 1080P.
QUESTION, IM STREAMING 3D FROM NETFLIX THROUGH THE. PS3. WHY IS THE VIDEO COMING BROKEN OUT? THE SOUND IS FINE BUT THE VIDEO IS NOT PLAYING SMOOTH. . HOWEVER, 3D BLURAYS PLAY JUST FINE. .
post #928 of 1119 Old 11-21-2013, 08:25 PM

CAN YOU POST THE CALIBRATION SETTINGS YOURE USING? ? I HAVE ONLY FOUND THE ONE FROM PROJECTOR REVIEWS. . .
post #929 of 1119 Old 11-22-2013, 05:17 PM
exm
AVS Special Member

Liked: 59
Quote:

CAN YOU POST THE CALIBRATION SETTINGS YOURE USING? ? I HAVE ONLY FOUND THE ONE FROM PROJECTOR REVIEWS. . .

Can you please stop it with the CAPS LOCK?
post #930 of 1119 Old 11-23-2013, 08:27 AM

MY PHONE HAS A BROKEN KEYBOARD. .
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson , Epson Projector , Epson V11h501020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020 2d And 3d Home Theater Projector , Epson V11h502020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020e 2d And 3d 1080p Wireless Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread - V11h501020 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page