post #991 of 1093 Old 01-11-2014, 08:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjimmyjones85 View Post

Got my refurb unit from Visual Apex. Looks great so far. *fingers crossed*

0 hours on the bulb. Turned on four times off three.

I've been looking at these refurbs from VA myself. I'm anxious to hear how it works out for you. Enjoy!

XBL: octavarium1/PSN:octavarium1970
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1093 Old 01-12-2014, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by chmorgan View Post

I've been looking at these refurbs from VA myself. I'm anxious to hear how it works out for you. Enjoy!
You can purchase with confidence... Full Epson warranty including the 2 day replacement exchange.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #993 of 1093 Old 01-12-2014, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Do the VA refurbs come with 3D glasses? I've been looking at this as well as the 5020R

--Steve

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #994 of 1093 Old 01-12-2014, 09:30 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dslunceford View Post

Do the VA refurbs come with 3D glasses? I've been looking at this as well as the 5020R

Yes mine did. And they are brand new.

Mine look good so far.

Fingers crossed.
post #995 of 1093 Old 01-15-2014, 02:44 PM

Hello, i hope you guys can help me.

I recently purchased the Epson 3020 but I am really troubled by the black level. 

I know that black levels are the weakness of the LCD technology, but the black on my projector has a very strong blue tint! It definitely looks more like a dark blue / violet color than black or at least dark grey. 

Can anybody share this experience? Or maybe there is something wrong with my projector?

I took some photos of the startup screen which should be black, but really is blue. Unfortunately I used the camera of my smartphone, but maybe there image quality is sufficient to tell if this kind of black is normal.

Thanks in advance for your opinions!

post #996 of 1093 Old 01-15-2014, 02:59 PM

I had the same issue with mine. Call Epson, or return and exchange it if you can. It is NOT normal, I went through 6 Epson 30XX models all with different issues. I eventually went to a JVC.
post #997 of 1093 Old 01-15-2014, 03:05 PM

Oh really? You had exactly the same problem?

I would be happy to give the Epson a few chances because I really like it so far (except for the black of course).

Did you also expierence a concievable amount of 3D ghosting? (In some test video I did). Maybe thats a defect, too?

post #998 of 1093 Old 01-15-2014, 07:02 PM

I never got as far to test the 3D fully. I had the blue issue, I had convergence issues, I had bad focusing issues, I had extremely loud auto Iris issues.. I just had enough with the poor quality of products that they were giving me. Trying to call them is not fun either, they are all on VOIP phones, and every other word was being cut off etc.
post #999 of 1093 Old 01-16-2014, 08:12 AM

Viano5,

What are your settings? (dynamic? Living room? ) Screen size? Power consumption settings? Throw distance?

Mine looks like that also... When I have it set to dynamic in a completely light controlled room. That Epson logo is entirely too bright (and bleeding) from what I've seen from my semi-calibrated 3020. You may be putting out too many lumens and nearly any sub-$2000 projector will look like crap of you put out 37 fl in a light controlled room.

post #1000 of 1093 Old 01-16-2014, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viano5 View Post

Hello, i hope you guys can help me.
I recently purchased the Epson 3020 but I am really troubled by the black level. 
I know that black levels are the weakness of the LCD technology, but the black on my projector has a very strong blue tint! It definitely looks more like a dark blue / violet color than black or at least dark grey. 
Can anybody share this experience? Or maybe there is something wrong with my projector?
I took some photos of the startup screen which should be black, but really is blue. Unfortunately I used the camera of my smartphone, but maybe there image quality is sufficient to tell if this kind of black is normal.

Thanks in advance for your opinions!

Mine also gives a very crappy black level with the violet tint... But when playing a movie (with black "violet" bars), the blacks inside of the movie actually look black....

I assumed this was normal. If I look at the projector vent, with the lamp on, it doesn't look white, but a bit on the violet side as well... Let me know if you call Epson and get a replacement, and if the next unit is better...

Thanks!
post #1001 of 1093 Old 01-16-2014, 07:43 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Is it Epson or Optima that let's you change the background color from black to blue?

post #1002 of 1093 Old 01-16-2014, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripsy666 View Post

I never got as far to test the 3D fully. I had the blue issue, I had convergence issues, I had bad focusing issues, I had extremely loud auto Iris issues.. I just had enough with the poor quality of products that they were giving me. Trying to call them is not fun either, they are all on VOIP phones, and every other word was being cut off etc.

Ok, thank you. I am pretty sure mine has at least one defect (the violet tint) and I will contact my dealer today to ask for a replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfelicio View Post

Mine also gives a very crappy black level with the violet tint... But when playing a movie (with black "violet" bars), the blacks inside of the movie actually look black....

I assumed this was normal. If I look at the projector vent, with the lamp on, it doesn't look white, but a bit on the violet side as well... Let me know if you call Epson and get a replacement, and if the next unit is better...

Thanks!

The sounds exactly like my issue. The violet tint is strongest in big black areas (like the black bars when watching a 21:9 movie or very dark scenes in movies). When there are only small black areas along other colors in the picture, the effect seems less intensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fokakis1 View Post

Is it Epson or Optima that let's you change the background color from black to blue?

You can change the background color on the Epson. The background on the images I postet should be black. I checked the settings multiple times ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackOften View Post

Viano5,

What are your settings? (dynamic? Living room? ) Screen size? Power consumption settings? Throw distance?

Mine looks like that also... When I have it set to dynamic in a completely light controlled room. That Epson logo is entirely too bright (and bleeding) from what I've seen from my semi-calibrated 3020. You may be putting out too many lumens and nearly any sub-$2000 projector will look like crap of you put out 37 fl in a light controlled room.
My current settings are Cinema, 125'', ECO, ~3 meters.
I dont think this is a problem that can be controlled with the settings, because when you have no input signal (like on my photos) you can't adjust the image. So there is no chance with what settings soever to change my "black" default screen from violet to real black (or at least LCD-black).
I agree that projectors above $2000 produce much better results. But in my opinion that is too much money for an entertainment gadget. I expect from a projector ~1500$ that it can display all colors including white and black without adjustments. My old Acer DLP (~500$) hat a very crappy picture overall and was very loud but at least it could fullfil this basic requirement.
Please keep in mind that i took the photo with a smartphone. The Epson logo isnt bleeding in reality. The violet tint however is pretty similar.
There are also many YouTube Videos out there (I know, they are by no means references) which dont show any sign of a violet tint.
By Monday at the latest I can report if my projector is faulty (which I strongly assume) or not. If the violet black is "normal" I certainly wont be keeping this projector (unfortunately) because the image is unacceptable.
post #1003 of 1093 Old 01-17-2014, 05:40 PM

As you suggested, I checked youtube videos, and they definitely look much better than my projector. Example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMQgX_DM85s

There's no clear purple bars on this one, and black levels look way better. Can someone who has this projector comment if this video looks like your situation, or you can see the black bars more noticeable?
post #1004 of 1093 Old 01-18-2014, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Hi guys, I wonder if I could get some help. A friend just bought the 3020 and his placement / location requires using the keystone adjustment for now. The problem he's having is that he has to reset the keystone every time he powers it up. There has to be a way to lock the keystone adjustments in place, but looking through the PDF manual I wasn't able to figure out how. If anyone knows how please let me know so I can forward the info.
Thanks in advance.
post #1005 of 1093 Old 01-21-2014, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Epson's site tech specs didn't answer this question, so thought I'd ask here. Does the 3020 have different memory modes? I typically like to play video games at a different custom setting vs video, and my current projector has two custom memory modes that I simply have the Harmony remote select when picking an activity like "watch movie" or "Play game"

--Steve

post #1006 of 1093 Old 01-21-2014, 04:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hey guys, I need some help. I just did the Projector calculator on ProjectorCentral.com. And it recommends me used a 92 for the 3020 I'm about to buy. I turning extra bedroom in to a media room and the walls is 12.5 so guessing with the moount the projector will be a bout 11ft from the wall. I really really wanna go with a 100in fixed screen rather then the 92. How accurate are the these calculator and do you think I'll be alright if the do the bigger screen? the room will black wall/ceiling. I really liking the reviews i'm here from this projector but I'm really consider another projector. My primary used is for movies/Xbox One.
post #1007 of 1093 Old 01-21-2014, 04:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Use the projector calculator on the epson website.
post #1008 of 1093 Old 01-21-2014, 11:28 PM

I had a question about the Split Screen (side by side)....

If I had 2 HD TV Setup boxes connected to the projector (1 HDMI and 1 RGB) and I used the Split screen feature, will I be able to watch two channels at once?

Can someone please post a picture of the Split Screen Feature, Does the image get extremly compressed to fit?

Please help!

thanks
post #1009 of 1093 Old 01-22-2014, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfelicio View Post

As you suggested, I checked youtube videos, and they definitely look much better than my projector. Example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMQgX_DM85s

There's no clear purple bars on this one, and black levels look way better. Can someone who has this projector comment if this video looks like your situation, or you can see the black bars more noticeable?
Sorry for the delay, I have been very busy. I went to my retailer and he immediately identified my black levels as defect and handed my a brand new model. Now the blacks are very acceptable.

EVERYONE WHO HAS THE SAME PROBLEM WITH VIOLET BLACK LEVELS (SEE MY PREVIOUSLY ATTACHED PHOTOS) CONTACT EPSON OR YOUR RETAILER BECAUSE IT IS A DEFECT AND NOT NORMAL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackOften View Post

Viano5,

Thats wrong. The new Epson I got from my retailer does absolutely not look like crap.

Other questions:

- Are you happy Epson 3020 owners completely satisfied with the 3D effect? Do you recognize any ghosting?

- What were your main arguments for not buying a cheaper DLP projector with potentially better black levels and better 3D?

(Because though I really like the Epson so far, I am still not 100% confident about my decision to choose LCD over DLP..)

post #1010 of 1093 Old 01-22-2014, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfelicio View Post

As you suggested, I checked youtube videos, and they definitely look much better than my projector. 

Sorry for the delay, I have been very busy. I went to my retailer and he immediately identified my black levels as defect and handed my a brand new model. Now the blacks are very acceptable.

EVERYONE WHO HAS THE SAME PROBLEM WITH VIOLET BLACK LEVELS (SEE MY PREVIOUSLY ATTACHED PHOTOS) CONTACT EPSON OR YOUR RETAILER BECAUSE IT IS A DEFECT AND NOT NORMAL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackOften View Post

Viano5,

Thats wrong. The new Epson I got from my retailer does absolutely not look like crap.

Another question:

Are you happy Epson 3020 owners completely satisfied with the 3D effect? Do you recognize any ghosting?

What were your main arguments for not buying a cheaper DLP projector with potentially better black levels and better 3D? (Because I am stillt not 100% certain 

post #1011 of 1093 Old 01-22-2014, 08:37 AM

Where's the photos of it not looking like crap?

Why did you post twice?

post #1012 of 1093 Old 01-22-2014, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viano5 View Post

Can you post the photo of projection from the replacement unit? I'm posting my current unit photo, look at the halo on the top right of the screen. I wonder what is causing it... Since it's blue, maybe something wrong with the blue lcd?

Also I must say I don't notice the issue too much when playing movies (even with black bars), only when there's no signal...

I contacted Epson and they said they will send me a replacement, but I'm still trying to figure out if they can send me a new unit, since I got this just 2 months ago and I don't want to exchange it for an old refurb with thousands of hours on it smile.gif

post #1013 of 1093 Old 01-25-2014, 07:09 PM

Quote:

Can you post the photo of projection from the replacement unit? I'm posting my current unit photo, look at the halo on the top right of the screen. I wonder what is causing it... Since it's blue, maybe something wrong with the blue lcd?

Also I must say I don't notice the issue too much when playing movies (even with black bars), only when there's no signal...

I contacted Epson and they said they will send me a replacement, but I'm still trying to figure out if they can send me a new unit, since I got this just 2 months ago and I don't want to exchange it for an old refurb with thousands of hours on it smile.gif

You have a failing LCD panel. Get a replacement. Same thing happened to one of my units. NOT EXACT SAME but same....

iMIKE THEATRE
post #1014 of 1093 Old 01-25-2014, 07:11 PM

Thanks! They will send me a new unit. Hopefully I'm more lucky this time! smile.gif
post #1015 of 1093 Old 01-25-2014, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmid View Post

Hey guys, I need some help. I just did the Projector calculator on ProjectorCentral.com. And it recommends me used a 92 for the 3020 I'm about to buy. I turning extra bedroom in to a media room and the walls is 12.5 so guessing with the moount the projector will be a bout 11ft from the wall. I really really wanna go with a 100in fixed screen rather then the 92. How accurate are the these calculator and do you think I'll be alright if the do the bigger screen? the room will black wall/ceiling. I really liking the reviews i'm here from this projector but I'm really consider another projector. My primary used is for movies/Xbox One.

I personal think 8 inches would not be a problem. But DON'T COME BASHING ME if I'm wrong. The lens can zoom on this expanding and contracting your projection.
If 100 inches is the case. Will you have enough room on the left and right of your screen.
I would make sure your black wall and ceiling are of NO GLOSS. A FLAT would be hard to clean. I believe the mid range is called SATIN.
Just to cut down on reflection, and concentrate on image.
Just remember the CENTER of the lens, should line up with TOP CENTRE of the screen.

Hope this helps.

iMIKE THEATRE
post #1016 of 1093 Old 01-25-2014, 07:19 PM

Quote:

Thanks! They will send me a new unit. Hopefully I'm more lucky this time! smile.gif

I've gone thru many. Including the 3010 before the 3020. When you get the MINT one. Believe me...it's worth it.
If you can calibrate it. Even better. I get compliments all the time on the image, and 3D quality.
I've looked at different models/brands. But the overall look, and projected image is what I feel as close to "real cinema" quality as possible.
I wouldn't settle till your completely satisfied. And if your hassled enough. Like let's say 4-5 returns/exchange. I would call Customer Service...IN THE STATES,
And ask for some free glasses to make up with your dissatisfaction. BUT YOU DIDN'T HEAR THAT FROM ME wink.gif

iMIKE THEATRE
post #1017 of 1093 Old 01-25-2014, 07:26 PM

Thanks smile.gif

For the one you ended up liking, was it brand new or refurb?

If they ever sent you a refurb, do you remember how many hours on it / on the lamp?
post #1018 of 1093 Old 01-25-2014, 07:48 PM

Quote:

Thanks smile.gif

For the one you ended up liking, was it brand new or refurb?

If they ever sent you a refurb, do you remember how many hours on it / on the lamp?

I'm not 100% sure. But it didn't matter. As long as it was in good shape, physically. And all the usual test on run on them past.
The 3020's are a great improvement on the 3010's.
I believed I did request a new one. But even the refurbs have to go threw enough tests before it's released. It was a huge hassle for me. I have patience.

If you follow my posts you can find out how many I went thru. And what issues I witnessed. It's over a year right now, and it still works fantastic.

HERE's MY ISSUES and STORY TIMELINE

If you purchased it, any where they have a good return policy. Try and exchange it there. Other wise you'll have to follow EPSON protocol.

iMIKE THEATRE
post #1019 of 1093 Old 01-28-2014, 08:37 PM

So, I received my new 3020 today. It is really new, the hidden menu shows it was only turned on once, 0h on everything, and came on the original box. Thumbs up for Epson for honoring the warranty.

Good stuff:

- The focus between elements and convergence on this new one is superb compared to the old one. There is only a small area on the bottom right that has some issues, but overall it's really good!

- The old one made a grinding noise turning on and off (or turning 3d on / off). I assumed it was normal, but the new one doesn't make any such noise!

- The iris is super quiet (not that I care much, I leave it off anyways)

Bad stuff:

- 3d crosstalk is pretty similar to the old one, which means I can still see some ghosting. I don't watch 3d much, so not a big deal

- The purple effect is still there, and at this point I'm assuming it is normal, because it is only noticeable when there is no signal. With a movie playing, it's totally fine

- The blue blotch on the top is gone, but I got a green mark on the left side. It's totally fine when focused properly, but I'm posting some screenshots for you guys to see what I'm talking about

Old projector. Notice the top right blue thingie, and the center "dot"

New projector, notice the green "thingie" on the left.

Overall I'm happy and I think this one will be a keeper.
post #1020 of 1093 Old 01-29-2014, 06:35 AM
exm
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I read somewhere that if you're projector is still under warranty, you can call and get a new bulb. How does that work? Just call and ask for... what?
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson , Epson Projector , Epson V11h501020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020 2d And 3d Home Theater Projector , Epson V11h502020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020e 2d And 3d 1080p Wireless Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread - V11h501020 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page