Official Epson Home Cinema 3020 Thread - Page 37 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
post #1081 of 1119 Old 06-10-2014, 03:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hello. I am asking this here to hopefully get some responses supposing the Epson 3020 and the 2030 are the same placement wise. Would really appreciate you help.

I have a 5030 projector and as I am loving the "projector experience" a new interest of watching everything on a big screen has grown to me so I am looking for a cheaper projector to use it on a daily basis (about 2 hours per day) and the 5030 for movie watching on the weekends.

I use my 5030 on a shelf that that if I were to draw an imaginary line from the lens projector to the screen said imaginary line would be just 8 inches shy from the center of the screen (my screen is a 135" with a total height, incluiding frame, of 70 inches). Horizontal wise the projector would be also about 8-10 inches from the center. The shelf is about 14-15 foot from the screen and placing the projecto in said shelf will make the projector to be about 4.4 feet from the ground.

I can center the image with the 5030 using it's lens shiffting features with no problem at all.

My question is: Even though the 2030 has no lens shiftting can I place it in the shelf where I place the 5030 and manage to adjust the image (vertically and horizontally) using keystone or other methods? I have read that projectors without lens shiffting can only be placed either high on the ceiling or in a low coffee table but no at the middle of the road (almost the same distance from the floor than to the ceiling) but would like to know if the 2030 would allow my shelf positioning.

Thank you!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 1119 Old 06-10-2014, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Why not put that $$$ you'd be spending on a 3020/2030 toward the future replacement lamp on your 5030? It'll save money, convenience, AND give a far superior picture. 2Hours per day isn't bad at all and shouldn't burn through 5030 lamps very fast. That plus your usual weekend movies will still be less than 1000hours per year.

If I were you, I'd enjoy that 5030 into the ground, then put the money saved by buying lamps instead of an entry-level PJ into a new high-end model to replace the 5030 in 8-10years. Either way, in 5+ years you'll be itching to try something new, but using just the 5030 will save several hundred and give you an excuse to upgrade when the time comes.
obonillaf likes this.

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
Easy $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
post #1083 of 1119 Old 06-10-2014, 07:24 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post

Why not put that $$$ you'd be spending on a 3020/2030 toward the future replacement lamp on your 5030? It'll save money, convenience, AND give a far superior picture. 2Hours per day isn't bad at all and shouldn't burn through 5030 lamps very fast. That plus your usual weekend movies will still be less than 1000hours per year.

If I were you, I'd enjoy that 5030 into the ground, then put the money saved by buying lamps instead of an entry-level PJ into a new high-end model to replace the 5030 in 8-10years. Either way, in 5+ years you'll be itching to try something new, but using just the 5030 will save several hundred and give you an excuse to upgrade when the time comes.

Your post sounds very logical to me. Even if I had to change the lamp every year because of my usage, at $300 per lamp (I think that's the cost) it wouldn't be that bad because then it meant that I really enjoy the projector. My only grip, and I don't know if I may be wrong because I don't have any experience with projectors, is that if I am to use the 5030 on said daily basis if I would shorten not only the lamp life but also the projector's life itself. If I were to pay, as I said, $300 per year for a new lamp every year that's ok, but if for daily using my projector I would "kill it" in about 2 years I does not sound good at all to have to pay every 2 years up to $3000 instead of paying now $1000 for a "cheaper" projector to use it and use it worst case scenario "killing it" in 2 years but keeping my 5030 "alive"... I don't know if projectors work really that way.
post #1084 of 1119 Old 06-10-2014, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

There are a couple things that can shorten their lifespan, like blocking the vents or unplugging it without letting the fan cool-down period happen. Besides that, the projector should last 10+ year's and it's no problem for them to run 3-4hours every day.

DO let it go through its entire minute long cool down. Don't run it if you think there could be a power-outage during a storm. You'll probably sell it on the used market before it actually dies. smile.gif
obonillaf likes this.

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
Easy $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
post #1085 of 1119 Old 07-04-2014, 06:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Happy 4th of July !
I could pick up the 3020 used for 550$ with new lamp is there anything i should look for ?
I think its a good price,maybe too good ?
Thanks
post #1086 of 1119 Old 07-04-2014, 10:51 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Can you demo the unit?

If so check for blinking lights on the unit. Once lit up look for discoloration on the startup screen.

Engage the auto iris and listen. If it sounds like a noisy hard drive from the 90's you'll probably have to do with the iris off. Some noise is normal, but it shouldn't be audible over the movie's soundtrack.  This problem was more prevalent with the 3010.

Also you will want to turn the test pattern on. Focus the pattern till you can see individual pixels distinctly. Walk over to the screen and see if you see a halo effect. The pixels may have a smeared looking shadow. This is a known defect on some units. If it is minor, then it won't be visible with motion picture. If it's smeared over five pixels wide you may not be able to achieve a sharp picture.

It is possible to reset the lamp hours. So to find out how many real hours the pj has seen read my post here:

Official Epson Home Cinema 3020 Thread

Even with high hours that's still a smokin' good deal. Good luck.
Ftoast likes this.
post #1087 of 1119 Old 07-05-2014, 01:54 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by fokakis1 View Post
Can you demo the unit?

If so check for blinking lights on the unit. Once lit up look for discoloration on the startup screen.

Engage the auto iris and listen. If it sounds like a noisy hard drive from the 90's you'll probably have to do with the iris off. Some noise is normal, but it shouldn't be audible over the movie's soundtrack. This problem was more prevalent with the 3010.

Also you will want to turn the test pattern on. Focus the pattern till you can see individual pixels distinctly. Walk over to the screen and see if you see a halo effect. The pixels may have a smeared looking shadow. This is a known defect on some units. If it is minor, then it won't be visible with motion picture. If it's smeared over five pixels wide you may not be able to achieve a sharp picture.

It is possible to reset the lamp hours. So to find out how many real hours the pj has seen read my post here:

Official Epson Home Cinema 3020 Thread

Even with high hours that's still a smokin' good deal. Good luck.
Thanks for your quick response, I hope I can demo the unit and I'll look for the things you mentioned.
Thx
post #1088 of 1119 Old 07-08-2014, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by stego40 View Post
I was expecting my 720p appletv to be a little bad, but have to say from 9 ft away on 84 inches, it looks pretty good
can you approx. measure your actual picture size when viewing (at 09:00ft distance)? I'm very curious, being my 3020 is ceiling mounted at 9.0ft viewing distance as well. (as I mention previously I'm using an Elite VMAX2 92in diag., electronically retractable screen).
post #1089 of 1119 Old 07-13-2014, 01:13 PM

Liked: 0
Epson 3020 : HD cable is cropped

First post here!

Love the projector. I have it for over a year, using it very intensely, daily tv use, lots of movies on blu ray, gaming, 3D, Apple TV. It's all fantastic and lamp life seems very good. Beside the noisy auto-iris, I cant really find anything wrong with it.

My only serious issue is that the image comes out cropped from full HD when the input is my cable box. My provider uses the Cisco Explorer 8642HD, and the setting is 1080i. The projector doesn't let me change the scale when it uses cable as input, the function is greyed out. I have tried about everything I could think of, with no results. Basically I'm loosing maybe 15% on each side (from what I can see when I can't read the text of certain shows, or scores of games.

Any ideas?
post #1090 of 1119 Old 08-23-2014, 06:30 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
overheating when watching videos from computer only

I have having an issue where the projector runs fine watching either cable or playstation content. When I switch over to videos streaming from my Mac connected via hdmi the projector overheats after 20 minutes or so and shuts off.

any ideas why youtube videos would cause an issue when other sources don't? thanks
post #1091 of 1119 Old 08-23-2014, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Does the projector shut off completely or just go black? Have the same problem with my imac connected directly to my 8350. No issue whatsoever when the same content runs through the AppleTV. It seems Apple's computers streams the raw data to the projector, which forces the hdmi chip in the projector to do all the decoding work. The videos from AppleTV, cable, and playstation had all the decoding done (the heavy lifting) in their respective units before streaming the data to the projector. The projector only has to pass the data through without having to deal with decoding. I ran this problem through my second floor neighbors brain (he's an Apple Genius at the 14 street apple store in manhattan) and he thinks I'm probably right.
I'm no expert in this realm, so i could be dead wrong. Anybody else can chime in on this who knows more than i do?
post #1092 of 1119 Old 08-23-2014, 09:22 AM

the screen goes black (lamp shut off) and the red light on the projector turns on indicating an overheating issue. I am going to look into your theory as that seems logical. I am sending the signal to an A/V receiver so I want to look into why the receiver isn't doing anything with the decoding?
post #1093 of 1119 Unread 09-20-2014, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I just bought the Epson 3020e and so far i've been projecting the image on the white wall of my living room, giving me a nice bright image.

I will be projecting a 120" inch image from 15 feet out. During the day there is some light in the room, but ultimately I want to watch movies at night when it's completely dark. My ceiling is white so it reflects some light in room and alter the experience a little bit... I heard the grey screen could actually help with this ? And that during the day the screen would actually be brighter and more contrasted with the grey screen ?

I've called the place where I bought my screen and I could still exchange the screen for a 120 inch grey 0.8. I know that it will give me a better image during daylight, but what about at night when it's completely dark ?

I've read somewhere that for movie watching i'd better be going with a grey screen.... That it gives better contrast and better blacks... But i've also read about the screen door effect...Ultimately I want the best image to watch movies.

I know i'm all over the place with this thread, but I would really like some help on this question....

Grey (0.8) or White (1.3) 120" Manual Projection Screen ?

Thanks a lot.
post #1094 of 1119 Unread 09-20-2014, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobwong View Post
I just bought the Epson 3020e and so far i've been projecting the image on the white wall of my living room, giving me a nice bright image.

I will be projecting a 120" inch image from 15 feet out. During the day there is some light in the room, but ultimately I want to watch movies at night when it's completely dark. My ceiling is white so it reflects some light in room and alter the experience a little bit... I heard the grey screen could actually help with this ? And that during the day the screen would actually be brighter and more contrasted with the grey screen ?

I've called the place where I bought my screen and I could still exchange the screen for a 120 inch grey 0.8. I know that it will give me a better image during daylight, but what about at night when it's completely dark ?

I've read somewhere that for movie watching i'd better be going with a grey screen.... That it gives better contrast and better blacks... But i've also read about the screen door effect...Ultimately I want the best image to watch movies.

I know i'm all over the place with this thread, but I would really like some help on this question....

Thanks a lot.
This is a very bright projector and will give you a great image with either screen. For your room conditions and viewing preferences I'll offer you the following advice: If 3D is a priority go with the 1.3. If not go with the grey screen.
billybobwong likes this.
post #1095 of 1119 Unread 09-20-2014, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fokakis1 View Post
This is a very bright projector and will give you a great image with either screen. For your room conditions and viewing preferences I'll offer you the following advice: If 3D is a priority go with the 1.3. If not go with the grey screen.
3D is not a priority at all so I guess i'll go with the grey screen.

The grey screen will be good with ambiant light, but when all lights are closed at night, will it also give a good render ?

Thanks for your answer.
post #1096 of 1119 Unread 09-20-2014, 03:14 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Thanks a lot.
I went grey (n8.5 paint on a 130" screen), similar situation as yours, but I mostly watch at night. It's amazing! The blacks on this projector are not that great, but for the price, nothing beats it (as DLP doesn't work for me, I see rainbows! lol)
billybobwong likes this.
post #1097 of 1119 Unread 09-20-2014, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfelicio View Post
I went grey (n8.5 paint on a 130" screen), similar situation as yours, but I mostly watch at night. It's amazing! The blacks on this projector are not that great, but for the price, nothing beats it (as DLP doesn't work for me, I see rainbows! lol)
Thanks cfelicio. I am leaning towards grey screen now
Good to know your happy with it, did the grey paint help to get details in the blacks ?

Does the n8.5 paint stands for a .85 gain ? Otherwise for your 130" screen what is the distance with the projector ?

Thanks.

Last edited by billybobwong; 09-20-2014 at 03:30 PM.
post #1098 of 1119 Unread 09-20-2014, 03:54 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Thanks cfelicio. I am leaning towards grey screen now
Good to know your happy with it, did the grey paint help to get details in the blacks ?

Does the n8.5 paint stands for a .85 gain ? Otherwise for your 130" screen what is the distance with the projector ?

Thanks.
yes, it helps a bit, nothing major. This projector is very bright, so n8.5 (I think its the same as 0.85 gain, not sure) is fine. I'm still running it in eco mode, and bright enough.

I also don't watch much 3d, so not sure if it's bright enough for that. I don't remember the exact distance, but I put it the closest possible to the screen, to maximize brightness...
billybobwong likes this.
post #1099 of 1119 Unread 09-21-2014, 01:54 PM

anyone using the wireless box?

I just got a 3020e and I'm loving the picture so far.

Has anyone gotten the HDMI output from the wireless box to pass audio to their receiver?

I wanted to use the WiHD box to get 3D without upgrading my receiver. I've plugged all my source devices into the wireless box and use the HDMI output to route the audio back to the receivers... many reviews said that that is what it is for. However, I'm not having any luck getting it to work, my receiver says no signal. The manual says that if you want to switch between the wireless and the wired HDMI port you need to hit the "output" button on the remote. This implies to me that the HDMI port isn't active all the time. I could use the optical audio out, but that means I'm restricted to Dobly and DTS formats.

If this has already been covered in this thread, I'd really appreciate the link... I tried searching the forum several times before asking the question.

thanks in advance for any suggestions
post #1100 of 1119 Unread 09-21-2014, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfelicio View Post
This projector is very bright, so n8.5 (I think its the same as 0.85 gain, not sure) is fine.
Just a bit of random info:
The gain scale is nice and simple and refers to the percentage of reflected light (compared to a perfect matte-white)..so a 0.85gain screen is returning 85% of the brightness back.

The N-value is more of a logarithmic curve and an N8.5 matte-grey is a decent amount lower than 0.85gain. If I'm remembering right n7.5 is something like 0.5gain (N7.5 is absorbing half the light that hits it) and N5 is roughly 0.2gain..maybe 0.23g.

It's frustratingly hard to find numbers for this, at least it was when I was looking.
billybobwong likes this.

post #1101 of 1119 Unread 10-01-2014, 06:24 AM

Does 3020 have cooling fan?

Good Morning
Have had an Epson 3020 for about 6 months now and really love it. Just wondered if anyone knows if there is a built in cooling fan on this unit.
Called Epson tech support, they told me it did. Not quite sure if he was really correct. Can't hear anything, really seems to run hot during a movie.
I don't have any warning signs at all, during the movie or after.- so maybe there is.
My Mits 4900 ran really cool (only slightly warm to touch).
Would appreciate any reply.
Thanks, have a great week.
WayneBruce
post #1102 of 1119 Unread 10-01-2014, 11:01 AM

Has anyone used the split screen mode for much gaming? That was the reason I initially found this projector, but after reading this thread, it looks like a great entry projector for much more!
post #1103 of 1119 Unread 10-01-2014, 04:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynebruce View Post
Good Morning
Have had an Epson 3020 for about 6 months now and really love it. Just wondered if anyone knows if there is a built in cooling fan on this unit.
Called Epson tech support, they told me it did. Not quite sure if he was really correct. Can't hear anything, really seems to run hot during a movie.
I don't have any warning signs at all, during the movie or after.- so maybe there is.
My Mits 4900 ran really cool (only slightly warm to touch).
Would appreciate any reply.
Thanks, have a great week.
WayneBruce
It does have a fan. IIRC, it blows air from rear to front. I believe the manual mentions airflow, take a look there.
post #1104 of 1119 Unread 10-01-2014, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 15
What is the difference between the 3020/3020e? Is it only the HDMI wireless?
post #1105 of 1119 Unread 10-01-2014, 05:28 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Well I am getting another 2030 Projector from Epson. This one started having bands of green and purple across the top and bottom of the picture.

Here is my big worry: Within the first six months I had to exchange three projectors, then one in the fall and one last March. That one is now being replaced... That is six projectors in a year and 1/2...

They are going bad at a rate of one every four months. AND I have had two lamp failures…on two of these projectors. (Lamp replaced...) One burned out and was taken back to Best Buy, the second was went very dim way too early, I believe in less than a 1000 hours.

Epson is GREAT with exchanging them BUT my two year warrantee runs out this coming Jan. 2015…and at this rate I will have a dead projector by summer.

I consider a 2 and ½ year service out of a product not very good. AND SIX MONTH PER PROJECTOR NOT GOOD AT ALL!!!!!!

So what is their policy once the warrantee runs out??

This is getting silly…I bought a Sony rear projector (one with three TUBES in it)that lasted 12 years and need two repairs during the last couple of years…

I then bought a Focus DLP Projector that lasted 4000+ hours and is still working other than a worn out dim lamp (reason for the Epson)

I also bought a Mitsubishi DLP 53 projector that lasted eight years, and when the power supply failed I replaced it with a Sceptre 50 flat screen for $400.00…(price sure can down from $3500.00) if it lasts 5 years I will be happy.

OK Stuff doesn’t last as the old stuff used to …but 2 and ½ years is not something I will take laying down.

Rich

Last edited by racprops; 10-02-2014 at 05:43 AM. Reason: Correction and more data and spelling
post #1106 of 1119 Unread 10-01-2014, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Racprops, you made me curious and I still owed Epson another phonecall so I figured I'd see what they said.
I was told within the first year there's an option to extend your warranty, but it sounds like you're well outside of a year and the price was way too high at $250/year $500/2years..aka the price of another projector nearly.
If you're in a different region (outside the US) you might have extra options and either way I'd encourage you to give them a call just in case they're feeling generous, but I was told there's nothing else they can do. ..I was asking if there was any sort of trade-in value or anything possible besides sticking with a model that's been too much trouble.
Still, doesn't guarantee they won't help, so give it a try yourself of course.

post #1107 of 1119 Unread 10-01-2014, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
Racprops, you made me curious and I still owed Epson another phonecall so I figured I'd see what they said.
I was told within the first year there's an option to extend your warranty, but it sounds like you're well outside of a year and the price was way too high at $250/year $500/2years..aka the price of another projector nearly.
If you're in a different region (outside the US) you might have extra options and either way I'd encourage you to give them a call just in case they're feeling generous, but I was told there's nothing else they can do. ..I was asking if there was any sort of trade-in value or anything possible besides sticking with a model that's been too much trouble.
Still, doesn't guarantee they won't help, so give it a try yourself of course.

I will call and see what they say. Thanks.

Rich

post #1108 of 1119 Unread 10-01-2014, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman600 View Post
Thanks for the review. I have the Epson 3010 and my only complaint was the crosstalk in 3d. I am thinking of replacing it with the 3020 but only if the crosstalk issue has been significantly corrected. I know you can't compare yours with the 3010, but any info on the crosstalk issue would be very helpful...thanks.
Having owned both I can safely say that crosstalk is much improved on the 3020. It was noticeable on the 3010 to the point that it distracted from the movie experience.

I watch a LOT of 3D and now purchase the 3D version of all new releases because the 3020 is that good. I only notice ghosting on main menus and subtitles.

I also immediately realized an improvement in 2D picture quality as well. The 3020 keeps the non-fatiguing image while appearing more crisp and detailed.

Last edited by fokakis1; 10-01-2014 at 08:48 PM.
post #1109 of 1119 Unread 10-03-2014, 05:25 PM

Spoke with Epson tech support and was told: “ We are sorry you have had so much trouble and we understand your concern about the projected life of your latest projector giving your past history with them. And although we cannot give you an new two year warrantee on your latest replacement projector, I will say IF you do have another failure once your original two year warrantee runs out we will work with you.”

Well I will just have to wait and see…

Sadly if it does crap out and I don't get a free replacement I will most likely start shopping for another Make and Model. I hope the other brands are not having these kinds of problems. My old HP DLP lasted 5 years and may even be a good projector with a new lamp.

I will say that their quality has gotten much better; the replacement projector has great color, correct LCD conversions and is as sharp as a tack once I cranked up all the sharpness settings. At lease one of two of the early projectors were replaced for such problems…the last three all came in great conduction.

Problem is they fowl up after 4 to 6 months… I have had two or three get screen problems, like a green blotch or like this last one green and purple bars.

I am hoping they had also fix the causes of these screen problems along with getting the convertions and sharpness dead on out of the box as well.

Out of the box this one did not light right up it stopped before projecting any light and turned on its overheat red LED..and powered up the fan…the second try it started fine and has done so every time after that…And for the first hour there was a brand new unit smell ..so it feels like a brand new unit.

Rich

Last edited by racprops; 10-03-2014 at 07:58 PM.
post #1110 of 1119 Unread 10-03-2014, 11:43 PM

Looks excellent.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Epson , Epson Projector , Epson V11h501020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020 2d And 3d Home Theater Projector , Epson V11h502020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020e 2d And 3d 1080p Wireless Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread - V11h501020 by PriceGrabber.com