Official Epson Home Cinema 3020 Thread - Page 39 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-28-2015, 07:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Seeking Advice

I am going to be buying a new projector and I can get a 1.5 year old 3020 with less than 100 hours of usage for $850. Would this be better than getting a new Benq W1070? The projector will be going in a dedicated home theater with total light control. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2015, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Epson Home Enema 3020 Project: Getting Closer

Hoping ceiling fan does'nt block projection. Otherwise will have to re-locate and install ceiling fan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Epson_HomeCinema-3020_CeilingMounted_FanObstructionView_03.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	530553  
Old 02-15-2015, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone have any good calibration settings? I'm having a hard time finding any full settings by searching google, only partial settings. Mine is in a dedicated dark media room. Thanks for any help!!!
Old 02-27-2015, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
http://www.projectorreviews.com/epso...-and-settings/

This a good start. Also buy Disney WOW calibration disc.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:43 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 111
If I am understanding the projector setup correctly, in order to not have any keystone correction, the projector needs to be centered horizontally (obvious) and centered vertically along the bottom screen edge, or screen top (depending on floor or ceiling mounting [not so obvious]). One would think that dead center would be both vertical and horizontal for no keystone correction.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

Old 03-16-2015, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post
If I am understanding the projector setup correctly, in order to not have any keystone correction, the projector needs to be centered horizontally (obvious) and centered vertically along the bottom screen edge, or screen top (depending on floor or ceiling mounting [not so obvious]). One would think that dead center would be both vertical and horizontal for no keystone correction.
Correct. Horizontally, the lens should be dead center of your screen. Wrt vertical alignment there may be an inch or so offset as you move further back. Check Projector Central's calculator to confirm.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/projection-calculator-pro.cfm
Old 03-16-2015, 04:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Thanks for the info. The Projector Central calculator does not have an offset value. So, how does one determine that? Put up the projector, get it level, project, set the zoom, put up the screen?

EDIT: Just looked at the manual again and for 100" screen, the offset is .1". Ya, like that is going to an exact science when putting in the projector and screen.

"What do you say Beckett. Wanna have a baby?" - Castle to Det. Beckett
"How Long have I been gone?" Alexis after arriving home and seeing Castle and Beckett w/ the baby - Castle - 11/25/13
Mr. Video
My Geek Images

Last edited by mrvideo; 03-16-2015 at 04:51 PM.
Old 03-17-2015, 04:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by unachris View Post
I am going to be buying a new projector and I can get a 1.5 year old 3020 with less than 100 hours of usage for $850. Would this be better than getting a new Benq W1070? The projector will be going in a dedicated home theater with total light control. Thanks.
An important thing to keep in mind is that both manufacturers listed lumen and contrast specs aren't often true, and both of these models in reality feature very similar contrast and brightness. If you NEED to mount farther back from a smaller screen or can't mount the projector near the screen's top (slightly above the screen) the 3020 is a good option.

Otherwise, it really doesn't have much/any advantage over the w1070 which is better at fast-motion, very accurate out-of-the-box, cleaner for 3D, has better response-time for gaming, shows less pixel-gaps (if you sit closer or like a really big screen), is brand-new with a full warranty and still costs ~$200 less than the used 3020.

If you decide you need LCD or the extra mounting flexibility (maybe you decide to rear-shelf-mount instead of ceiling mount..) and if you'd rather an equally inexpensive NEW option, the Epson 8345 is a good alternative for under $900.

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
Easy $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:14 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
How are the blacks on this compared to the 8350?
Old Yesterday, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggNewt View Post
How are the blacks on this compared to the 8350?
They're pretty evenly matched, but using the 8350/8345 with the dynamic iris on might be less bothersome (the 3020 iris can be annoyingly loud) so the 8350/8345 has an advantage (or 3 if you count its faster input time, more flexible lens-shift zoom, and generally much lower price).

If you're looking at getting an 8350, look at the 8345 instead..it measures the same contrast, brightness and PQ but fixes some lamp-life issues and often is priced lower.

If you've already got the 8350 and are asking about replacing it, you might consider the Panasonic ae8000 which has dropped down to about $1600 (clearance from previous $2000-2500) and offers significantly better contrast and blacks, quieter operation, and less pronounced inter-pixel gaps.
It's the least expensive big step up in picture quality.

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
Easy $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Old Today, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have the 3020 and looks very sharp in the center, but going to the sides,looks a little soft. I dont have a edge to edge full focus and im tired of people saying that issue is not noticeable in video and only in text....so whats the meaning of full hd? a focus loss is the worst enemy for HD. I want to open my pj and take out the lens, i see some holes around the lens that maybe can focus the left and right of the image better, but im affraid of getting it worse.

Tags
Epson , Epson Projector , Epson V11h501020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020 2d And 3d Home Theater Projector , Epson V11h502020 Powerlite Home Cinema 3020e 2d And 3d 1080p Wireless Home Theater Projector