PS3 to TV and Projector at the same time - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 10-15-2012, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I currently have a game room setup with mutiple components, but where I'm stuck is here:

My PS3 is connected directly to my TV via HDMI, which I'd like to leave as is. I also have an Epson PowerLite S4 projector that I would like to connect ocassionally just for fun. Since the HDMI output from the PS3 is already being used, I figured I could use the other video port for the projector. I picked up the optional component adapter cable to connect the PS3's video port to the projector.

I am using a simple cable that converts component to VGA, which then connects to the projector. The projector only has VGA, S-Video, and composite video inputs. I am trying to get the best possible picture quality since the image will be large. Unfortunately, I am unable to get any image from the projector. I do remember going through some settings on the PS3 and getting an image at one time, but I can't recreate it. I know the PS3 will default to the HDMI out, but I think I can switch the output in the settings menu.

Can someone chime in on what I'm doing wrong? Do I need to get rid of the Component => VGA cable and replace it with a powered converter box? Is my setup correct and I'm just not setting the PS3 to the correct video output? I've tried pulling out the HDMI cable prior to powering up the PS3 just to see if I would get an image out of the projector. No luck.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-15-2012, 03:20 PM

Have you gone into the display settings menu in the ps3 and selected the component output?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

post #3 of 13 Old 10-15-2012, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

I have. I tried both component and SCART (i think is what its called). I've tried adjusting several video settings on the PS3 with no luck. I'm not sure if there is a magical combination of settings I need to use, or if I need a converter or something.
post #4 of 13 Old 10-15-2012, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry, posted multiple times
post #5 of 13 Old 10-15-2012, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry, posted multiple times.
post #6 of 13 Old 10-15-2012, 05:03 PM

My setup has my hdmi going to the projector and the component going to the tv. Every time I turn on the ps3 I select which input I want. I always turn it off going back to the component setting for the tv so that I don't have to power up the pj if I'm not going to use it. My guess would be that the adapter might be causing an issue. Have you tried the composite cable that would have come with the PS3?(Just as a test I realize that will be the worst picture).
post #7 of 13 Old 10-15-2012, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Does your projector accept HDMI or are you converting the signal somehow? What specific setting on the PS3 are you adjusting (and is it just the one) to toggle between the two output formats? I really want to stick with the component cable for the projector if I can since its how everything is wired already. It would be a PITA to change everything since there are other video sources that would be impacted, not to mention reconfiguring the stereo receiver that I currently use as a switch as well. Thanks!
post #8 of 13 Old 10-16-2012, 12:07 PM

My Epson has an hdmi input so there is no converting going on. It's not my ideal set up. I hope to buy a receiver with two hdmi outputs in the next few months.

I go to the Settings tab, down to Display Settings, and the first option is Video Output Settings. This is where you choose what form of output(hdmi/component etc...etc...) from the PS3 and what resolution can be displayed.

Good luck
post #9 of 13 Old 10-16-2012, 05:25 PM

If your projector has only VGA as its "highest and best" input, then I think I just realized what your problem is: the cable that you using to connect the compnent video to the VGA connector is merely a passive conversion cable. It has been a few years since I've played w/ component inputs, but my recollection is that although VGA and component (Y YC YP?) are related, you need a device that actively converts the signal from component w/ Y P YB signals (or whatever is it is) to the VGA standard RGB that the projector is expecting.

There MAY be a setting in the PS3 to switch, but I don't think so. I remember when I had a HTPC connected to my Mitsubishi 65" TV, that only fancy video cards supported outputs at component signals instead of VGA signals - even you had a cable that converted VGA to component. Many people would use an external device to convert VGA to component, and my recollection is that it was a powered device.. In your case, you are doing the opposite, converting component to VGA, and my guess besides getting the cables to connect, you need something to convert the signals to a true VGA format (since it sounds like your projector won't).

edit: I just looked on ebay and there are component to VGA converters for about $30. Unless you can find a setting on the PS3 or your projector that mentions conversion, I think you will need one of those active converters.
post #10 of 13 Old 10-16-2012, 08:35 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Get a powered HDMI splutter from Monoprice. Works great to split signal to my projector and my wall mount tv
post #11 of 13 Old 10-16-2012, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

I think I'll try the component to vga converter. That's what I assumed I needed, I just wanted some confirmation before I spent any cash. As far as the hdmi splitter goes, i would need multiple splitters since I'll be doing the same thing with my cable box. My stereo receiver is currently handling the switching, so its already set up for component. Thanks for the help. I'll let you know how it works.
post #12 of 13 Old 10-16-2012, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

I think I'll try the component to vga converter. That's what I assumed I needed, I just wanted some confirmation before I spent any cash. As far as the hdmi splitter goes, i would need multiple splitters since I'll be doing the same thing with my cable box. My stereo receiver is currently handling the switching, so its already set up for component. Thanks for the help. I'll let you know how it works.
post #13 of 13 Old 11-16-2012, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, so after waiting two weeks for delivery from New Jersey (understandable), the converter arrived. I got a simple Component to VGA converter box. So, it works, however, there are still some issues. Apparently, the Epson Powerlite S4 will not allow me to change a Computer RGB signal to 16:9 format, which is a huge drag. So I have this big widescreen projector screen, and I have to use 4:3 format. Is there a way around this? When I change the incoming signal from Computer RGB to Component, I get an image, but its very blurry and discolored. Had I known ahead of time that I would not be able to use 16:9, I would have ordered a Component to S-Vdeo converter instead. The resulting picture isn't even that great. I really thought it would be better than it is. You can see tiny dots throughout the image (very pixelated I guess). I'm thinking I just need to upgrade my projector. Are there HD projectors out there with Component RCA Video connections? That way, I wouldn't need to convert the signal. Thanks!
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP