So has anyone checked out the Ariustek XRT-2700? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 10-19-2012, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is the website http://ariustek.com/index.php/store/led-projectors/ariustek-xrt-2700-wxga-led-projector-1280x768-sale. What's interesting about this to me is that it doesn't seem to be a miniaturized projector. So maybe it won't sound like a hair dryer. But I can't seem to find a whole lot of information about it anywhere. Does anyone have experience with it?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 10-19-2012, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
their video is interesting,the problem is:wither it's true or fake one?
post #3 of 19 Old 10-19-2012, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 113
I live within driving distance to Madison, WI where the CEO and company are supposedly located. I would have been interested to drop in and check their building out since they don't have an actual store. But guess what? Google as hard as I can I cannot find a street address for this building if though the website shows a picture. Red flag number one. Red flag number two - the price - $370. If the price is too good to believe - then it is. Red flag number three - the company is selling these directly on eBay.

Where do you think this is manufactured? In Madison, WI? Hardly. It's imported from somewhere overseas, China most likely. At any rate, I'd like to rip one of these apart to look inside.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #4 of 19 Old 10-19-2012, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 111
I would venture to be my retirement savings you would find a single TFT panel inside .. Tis nothing but junk..
post #5 of 19 Old 10-19-2012, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

I live within driving distance to Madison, WI where the CEO and company are supposedly located. I would have been interested to drop in and check their building out since they don't have an actual store. But guess what? Google as hard as I can I cannot find a street address for this building if though the website shows a picture. Red flag number one. Red flag number two - the price - $370. If the price is too good to believe - then it is. Red flag number three - the company is selling these directly on eBay.
Where do you think this is manufactured? In Madison, WI? Hardly. It's imported from somewhere overseas, China most likely. At any rate, I'd like to rip one of these apart to look inside.

I agree. It does seem very strange. It could be cheaper because they didn't have to cram all the components inside a smaller case. If I had any other very good options I'd probably just forget about it. Unfortunately nearly every manufacturer that makes LED projectors has this bizarre fixation of making them pico projectors with tiny fans that sound like buzz saws. I'm probably going to just be safe and order a lg-pa70g. It seems like the safe bet.
post #6 of 19 Old 12-08-2012, 12:32 AM

I haven't checked out the XRT-2700 in person yet, but will do so as soon as I can. I've been chatting with the business owner about it; Trevor was always friendly, responsive, and eager to answer my questions. He was very clear with me that this is a value oriented projector, and can't compete with products a few times the price point. Yet, it's supposed to be impressive for the price, and the specifications (on paper at least) seem adequate (to me) for an entry level projector, to be used in a relatively dark, room.

Comparatively speaking, my first projector back in '99 (SharpVision XV-H37VUA) produced 83% of the brightness, 20% of the claimed contrast, and 62% of the resolution of the XRT-2700. And, my replacement lamp was $350. We were quite happy with the Sharp, and never had any complaints about overall brightness, but did wish the black levels were a tad better, and the screen door effect minimized (Never did buy a Cygnus IMX, just nudged the focus a gnat's hair). It really made me smile every time i watched it.

I know times have changed, and our expectations from AV equipment have grown more sophisticated. It may not measure up to the latest specifications, but if the XRT-2700 actually does what the numbers (and the owner) claim, why wouldn't it be worth picking up and playing with at <$400?
post #7 of 19 Old 12-08-2012, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergyspaces View Post

I haven't checked out the XRT-2700 in person yet, but will do so as soon as I can. I've been chatting with the business owner about it; Trevor was always friendly, responsive, and eager to answer my questions. He was very clear with me that this is a value oriented projector, and can't compete with products a few times the price point. Yet, it's supposed to be impressive for the price, and the specifications (on paper at least) seem adequate (to me) for an entry level projector, to be used in a relatively dark, room.
Comparatively speaking, my first projector back in '99 (SharpVision XV-H37VUA) produced 83% of the brightness, 20% of the claimed contrast, and 62% of the resolution of the XRT-2700. And, my replacement lamp was $350. We were quite happy with the Sharp, and never had any complaints about overall brightness, but did wish the black levels were a tad better, and the screen door effect minimized (Never did buy a Cygnus IMX, just nudged the focus a gnat's hair). It really made me smile every time i watched it.
I know times have changed, and our expectations from AV equipment have grown more sophisticated. It may not measure up to the latest specifications, but if the XRT-2700 actually does what the numbers (and the owner) claim, why wouldn't it be worth picking up and playing with at <$400?

Seriously? Did you not read any of the posts in this thread? Buyer beware.

post #8 of 19 Old 12-09-2012, 09:35 AM

Mr G., there's no need to be curt. Of course i read the post. You may in fact be right about it, but I was simply expressing my opinion about considering an extreme value product in contrast to an entry level projector from '99, of arguably inferior specification, which offered a decent real-world picture for general purpose viewing. Some may glance at specs on the XRT-2700, and automatically pass. I wanted to give a reference, and provoke thought is all.

I'm not trying to push junk- I'm not affiliated with AriusTek, and am very much aware that the products are likely made in China (what isn't). The design work and internal component selection is said to be done stateside, but I can't verify this. Selling through eBay seems a little strange, but not so when considering its a startup company.

Again, you might be right. There are some red flags. It may be the equivalent of a vvme, or other low-res knockoffs. However, based on specs and conversations with the owner, I think it'll be someplace in the middle of the spectrum of junk class units to entry level units from the larger manufacturers.
post #9 of 19 Old 12-10-2012, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergyspaces View Post

Mr G., there's no need to be curt. Of course i read the post. You may in fact be right about it, but I was simply expressing my opinion about considering an extreme value product in contrast to an entry level projector from '99, of arguably inferior specification, which offered a decent real-world picture for general purpose viewing. Some may glance at specs on the XRT-2700, and automatically pass. I wanted to give a reference, and provoke thought is all.
I'm not trying to push junk- I'm not affiliated with AriusTek, and am very much aware that the products are likely made in China (what isn't). The design work and internal component selection is said to be done stateside, but I can't verify this. Selling through eBay seems a little strange, but not so when considering its a startup company.
Again, you might be right. There are some red flags. It may be the equivalent of a vvme, or other low-res knockoffs. However, based on specs and conversations with the owner, I think it'll be someplace in the middle of the spectrum of junk class units to entry level units from the larger manufacturers.

Sorry your feelings were hurt but I can't believe you are that naive. This is clearly a 'white van' special no matter what this person says. Any poster who joins the AVS Forum to generate interest in a certain off-brand projector is always suspect.

post #10 of 19 Old 12-10-2012, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Read from about post 69 on. The original author of the thread finally gets it. Its Waste of your money. Great for the kiddies but for adults forgetaboutit

Bohanna

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1420399/ok-ive-settled-on-this-one-seems-like-incredible-specs-around-500-or-less-shipped/60
post #11 of 19 Old 06-25-2014, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohanna View Post
Read from about post 69 on. The original author of the thread finally gets it. Its Waste of your money. Great for the kiddies but for adults forgetaboutit

Bohanna

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1420399/ok...ess-shipped/60
I am the OP for that post. Now I am not quite so sure that the time may well have come. There is a lot of protectionism that goes on in these forums. I am ordering one of those just for fun. Woe to anyone who has lied to me, because I can write (-:
post #12 of 19 Old 06-25-2014, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteleoni View Post
I am the OP for that post. Now I am not quite so sure that the time may well have come. There is a lot of protectionism that goes on in these forums. I am ordering one of those just for fun. Woe to anyone who has lied to me, because I can write (-:
Awesome! Have you ever owned a different projector so you can have a point of comparison between this model and anything else? I'm all for reviews of products, but I get sick of people who have no idea what the difference between junk and quality actually is, talking about how 'great' what they have is, when in fact it is terrible. So, it would be wonderful, before you write, to know you have some level of experience to tell others whether the product is good or bad. Since we have no way of knowing this, it would be a shame to hear about how great it is, then have others spend money on it, only to find out that it doesn't stack up at all to the similarly, or slightly higher, priced competition. Notably would be the Optoma H180X which is a far brighter, traditional design DLP projector.

I look forward to your comments when you receive it on the experience.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #13 of 19 Old 06-25-2014, 03:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just looking at the ports, you can see the lettering is of the cheap Chinese knockoff variety.
post #14 of 19 Old 06-25-2014, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

It says on their site they don't have a brick & mortar store

We used to hunt and fish to survive. Now we have to work 50 wks. a year so we can take a couple of weeks off to hunt and fish
post #15 of 19 Old 06-25-2014, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raster View Post
It says on their site they don't have a brick & mortar store
That means nothing, but what does mean something is the man won't return my calls or texts. Sheesh. All I want to do is risk a few hundred dollars and have a look. Then we have a review by a completely ubiased individual. I have a few older 3 lcd units, if one of those could hold its own, albeit with less ambient light against these 10 year old units, I would consider them a success. But this guy will not answer the phone. Any other clones of these out there? I will be the guinea pig.
post #16 of 19 Old 06-25-2014, 07:05 PM

And yes, I have an op hd66 as well which to me is damn great, so maybe I will be easy to please. The led is a very big deal, i would sacrifice a lot for it.
post #17 of 19 Old 06-25-2014, 07:27 PM

So...
To try to quantify this, for a super low budget projector, an led unit that is somewhat dimmer than, but somewhere near the quality of the cheapy Optoma HD66 would be more than acceptable. Street price should be around 250. Obviously it would need to hold up a couple of years but given the ever rising quality of chinese electronics I would guess that is a non issue. Its been a while since I started this thread, learned a lot, but still havent actually encountered one of those units, so to me, still unknown but possible more now than ever.
post #18 of 19 Old 06-25-2014, 07:45 PM

I also have a Benq MP 723 which is damn near uncleanable (dust particles on mirrors, replaced the DMD easily and cleaned all path, but particles still hiding) it also has a more than acceptable pic. You videophiles are certain to not be as easy as I.
That being said it gives you a frame of reference. I know little, but a hell of a lot more than when I posted.
post #19 of 19 Old 06-26-2014, 01:41 PM

Greetings,

Although I commented on this thread some time ago before using the projector, I've since acquired an XRT-2700 (was a gift from a relative in late 2012), and have been able to put it through its paces. For reference, I've owned projectors from Sharp, Infocus, and currently employ a rehabbed Runco. As with most, my initial interest was piqued 2 years ago by the modest specifications, LED engine, and price of AriusTek. My expectations were tempered- I knew it wasn't going to be a high end projector, but was also hoping it wasn't complete junk. I figured that if it could compete favorably in terms of picture quality and resolution with some other entry level 720p projectors of that time, then maybe it would be a great value, and find a purpose in my home.

It certainly has found a place, but in 2014 there are some compelling entry level offerings that would influence my decision (Optoma H180x) if I had to make it again.

Not without faults, the XRT-2700 does a respectable job as a temporary rig for quick setups: game nights for the kids, block parties after dark, or dinner/movie parties with friends. The projector is suitable anytime you want to throw up a quick image for situations where you don't want to (or can't) bring everyone into your media room for critical viewing, or when you do not wish to place significant wear on your main projector's lamp.

It is a fair bit dim with much ambient light, so you will not be using it during the day, unless you have reasonable lighting control. You really do need to keep the screen width to not much more than about 5', in order to keep the picture bright and sharp (I was firing against a 72" diagonal, 1.0 gain matte screen). As expected, it does feel like a cheap Chinese projector. It also sounds like a cheap Chinese projector (audio, but also fan noise). The fit and finish aren't necessarily poor, but are a cut below other offerings. There's a lack of lens offset, zoom and sophisticated geometry controls (avoid the keystone dial) so you must get the physical alignment near perfect, and that can be a pain. It's one thing to "know this", but you really need to be aware of these placement constraints. If you can live with these limitations, it's a fun toy to break out on occasion, and does tend to 'wow' many people whom lack exposure to higher end (and properly calibrated) equipment.

In my opinion, the XRT-2700 makes a great 'second screen', or entry point into our hobby if you are dying for a big screen, can deal with its shortcomings, but absolutely have less than $300 to spend right now. This is especially the case if you can find one on eBay (I've seen 2 roll by in the last month for <$150.00). Most people will indeed pass, and opt to save for a better projector.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page