Purchasing used Epson 8350 - what is it worth and what to look out for? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-21-2012, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
The used Epson 8350 has about 800 hours logged onto it and includes a ceiling mount and dust cover. It is still under the Epson warranty and has about 1.5 months left.

What do you guys think this is worth? He's selling it for $800 which seems high since refurbished units can range from 850 - 950 from what I've seen and still carry the warranty. Not to mention that Black Friday is coming up and there may be other sales coming up in the coming weeks.

I will have an opportunity to check the unit out in action - what are some things I should look for?

According to the seller - it has a bright, nearly new lamp, no dead pixels, no always on pixels, perfect PQ and silent active iris etc. (Note: some 8350 have a noisy iris).

The only reason why I'm considering this is if I can get it for a good deal and have a complete projector and screen set up for relatively reasonable price on a lower budget. I can from there pick up a Denon receiver and build out the 7.1 surround sound etc.

Thanks for the feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-21-2012, 09:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
You know the answer, NO! Don't do it. smile.gif
Why?
You gave the answer yourself, people are picking up the epson 8350 from epson's site for around 850 after discounts. It comes with 2 year warranty and 2 years on bulb. The known problems with the epson 8350 is early bulb failure, iris problems, dust blob problems, convergence problems. And you are thinking of picking up a used one with 800 hours on bulb with NO warranty (not sure you can transfer his warranty) for 800 dollars? Are you crazy? Common sense bro, use your head.
Now, you did the smart thing by posting this, so you are a smart guy, you just needed to hear what you already know.
Read the last 3 months of posts on the epson 8350 in the threads here, there are a number of them. And buy a refurb from epson or wait for Black Friday, and go into it with your eyes open. Then hope nothing goes wrong with it after owning it 2 years, because it will cost you to fix it.
post #3 of 4 Old 10-22-2012, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgtaa View Post

The known problems with the epson 8350 is early bulb failure, iris problems, dust blob problems, convergence problems.
Thanks for the warning.
post #4 of 4 Old 10-22-2012, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Thanks for the feedback. There was no way I would purchase it for 800. What if I could talk him down to 500? And since there is a warranty for 1.5 months left - I could get a new bulb with the 24 hour advanced replacement.

Would that be possible and is it still a no at 500?

There is no way I would pay 800 for it and will continue to monitor prices. I know the warranty is definitely worth it.

Thanks
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page