BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$ - Page 100 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2971 of 9896 Old 03-05-2013, 05:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I really don't understand why some of you have to do so many resolution switching depending on what type of 3D image you are projecting. I have an i3 with HD4000 graphics and my desktop is ALWAYS set to 1080p. Stereoscopic Player will always change my resolution to 1080/24 everytime I start a 3D movie regardless if it's a SBS or OU movie. And when I check the PJ's info, it shows as 1080/24 with Frame Packing.

NOT ONCE do I need to manually change desktop resolutions and refresh rates. As a matter of fact, as soon as I close Stereoscopic Player, the desktop automatically switches back to 1080p/60.

For those that have Intel graphics, make sure you select Intel Driver in the viewing method dropdown list within Stereoscopic Player. If you don't do this, then it will not work.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2972 of 9896 Old 03-05-2013, 06:20 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERuiz View Post

I really don't understand why some of you have to do so many resolution switching depending on what type of 3D image you are projecting. I have an i3 with HD4000 graphics and my desktop is ALWAYS set to 1080p. Stereoscopic Player will always change my resolution to 1080/24 everytime I start a 3D movie regardless if it's a SBS or OU movie. And when I check the PJ's info, it shows as 1080/24 with Frame Packing.

NOT ONCE do I need to manually change desktop resolutions and refresh rates. As a matter of fact, as soon as I close Stereoscopic Player, the desktop automatically switches back to 1080p/60.

For those that have Intel graphics, make sure you select Intel Driver in the viewing method dropdown list within Stereoscopic Player. If you don't do this, then it will not work.

Yes, if you have a player that converts SBS to frame packing then you can set it to change your graphic card to 1080p/24Hz for all your 3D and when it closes the settings will revert back — pretty much what I've been saying. KMPlayer and Potplayer (I prefer potplayer), and probably others, can be set to change to whatever resolution and frame rate you desire — you can even set up multiple configurations, though that's a little more in-depth. However, if you don't know how to setup those players you need to know how to change your graphics to the proper settings that work with the W1070. I don't believe any other players beside Stereoscopic and maybe powerDVD convert the input 3D into frame packed 3D, though not sure about that.

Stereoscopic player didn't work for me at all on my system. It is unusable, and I'm sure there are many others who have media players that do not convert SBS into frame packing and they will need to either: 1) change their graphics settings, or 2) learn to setup a media player to play at the proper settings to make the W1070 happy, and this is where some confusion is coming in as there are a total of 4 different 3D formats supported by the W1070 that use 3 different resolutions.
post #2973 of 9896 Old 03-05-2013, 06:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Hi AVS, a little update.

I just moved into a much smaller space due to having a new job, and still using the BenQ all the time. Lens shift + zoom out FTW! got it nicely dialed, though the picture is smaller, it's a good size and super bright, even in Cinema mode (no rainbows in this mode)
post #2974 of 9896 Old 03-05-2013, 07:38 PM

Liked: 10
Just received mine from Future Shop ( Canada ), hardware 1.03, Firmware 1.04, no fan issue, still waiting for the screen and mount but image on wall is fantastic =)

This is my first projector but still im surprised to see how clear and bright the image is, even with 720p content, madvr is doing a great job upscaling and it just looks awesome.

Ill give feedback once ill receive the screen ( http://www.partsforhdtv.com/projection-screens/120-16-9-fixed-frame-matte-white-projector-projection-screen.html )
and the glasses ( True depth with eye switching option )
post #2975 of 9896 Old 03-05-2013, 08:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Ordered mine from CompSource.com
$966.

Should be here by next tuesday.
post #2976 of 9896 Old 03-05-2013, 08:27 PM

If anyone uses the L5 remote (dongle for iPhone), I uploaded the remote for the Benq W1070 to the L5 Cloud. Just search for W1070 and you should find it.
post #2977 of 9896 Old 03-05-2013, 10:07 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERuiz View Post

I don't have Intel Driver as a selection in the viewing dropdown list. Version 1.9.6. Don't tell me you have a newer version.
post #2978 of 9896 Old 03-05-2013, 10:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyee View Post

I don't have Intel Driver as a selection in the viewing dropdown list. Version 1.9.6. Don't tell me you have a newer version.

2.0 is the newest version out

post #2979 of 9896 Old 03-06-2013, 04:21 AM

Does anyone have any suggestions for lighting? As in a specific product. I'm looking for something that has brightness control to light the seating area a bit, and hopefully won't impact blacks too much on the dimmest setting. I think something like a rope light or anything thin would fit best for my setup
post #2980 of 9896 Old 03-06-2013, 07:03 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 34
Received my BenQ yesterday from Amazon. Didn't open it yet. Got the mount, HDMI cables, power cable, ducting to cover them, and tools for the job. Da-Lite HP screen will be delivered tomorrow. Now just waiting on my entertainment center from IKEA, which still hasn't shipped yet mad.gif lol. Will set everything up this weekend, hopefully.

Anyone using the BenQ with a Harmony One remote? Curious if it's in the list of devices on their web software.

post #2981 of 9896 Old 03-06-2013, 07:19 AM

@Stuntman_mike What power cable did you go with?

Just set this PJ up last night and only had a chance to watch one movie on it, it is unreal!!

My only problem is that I am projecting onto a 4:3 screen and there seems to be some light bleeding out on both sides of the screen when watching it in 4:3 mode, is this normal?
post #2982 of 9896 Old 03-06-2013, 07:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnydub View Post

@Stuntman_mike What power cable did you go with?

Just set this PJ up last night and only had a chance to watch one movie on it, it is unreal!!

My only problem is that I am projecting onto a 4:3 screen and there seems to be some light bleeding out on both sides of the screen when watching it in 4:3 mode, is this normal?

Got this one:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10228&cs_id=1022801&p_id=5288&seq=1&format=2

Got this HDMI too:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10255&cs_id=1025503&p_id=9430&seq=1&format=2

Must say, the HDMI is no where near super slim lol. It's slimmer than a normal HDMI rugged in wall cable by a bit, but not as slim as I was expecting. Maybe shorter runs it actually is super slim.

Got this ducting to hide the two cables:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004W3ZQ/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Adheres to the ceiling and walls and has right angle and T-angles for corners. Has a curved angle for transition from ceiling to wall too. Fits the power cable and the redmere. Nothing else though. That's all I need to run from the PJ though so it works for me.

post #2983 of 9896 Old 03-06-2013, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman_Mike View Post

Got this one:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10228&cs_id=1022801&p_id=5288&seq=1&format=2

Got this HDMI too:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10255&cs_id=1025503&p_id=9430&seq=1&format=2

Thanks! Ordering these today.

I was going to use the projector on my table but I want a bigger screen so it looks like im going to try and mount it on the ceiling. Looking into mounts now. My 3D glasses should arrive soon, cant wait.
post #2984 of 9896 Old 03-06-2013, 09:47 AM

So I hope this doesn't get lost on page 101 of this thread...

Received the projector last week, installed in a completely light controlled basement room, no ambient light. "Cinema' settings from Art's ProjectorReviews review seemed a little drab so I opted for "Normal", Brilliant Color On, 2.2 Gamma. This seems to brighten things up and the colors pop way more than they did on "Cinema" in a pitch black room even.

Anyway, I'm hoping someone can agree with that so I feel better, but also tell me why the picture looks grainy to me? I'm coming from a Samsung rear projection 1080p so not exactly cutting edge technology. I'm displaying on a 90" screen and things seems a little rough around the edges. I've played around with noice cancellation all the way up, all the way down - I've also messed around with sharpness full, off, half, etc...still I'm not happy with the picture. For all the sterling reviews this thing is getting, I'm fairly confident it's my settings that are forcing things to look a little washed out, not as crisp, somewhat blurrier than I ever expected.

My first post on this site, one I've been coming back to for a long time over the years. Here's hoping someone can lead me in the right direction.
post #2985 of 9896 Old 03-06-2013, 10:38 AM

What source are you using?
I just hooked my w1070 up and i am not noticing any blurriness or noise. And im coming from a 60" plasma which was uber sharp
post #2986 of 9896 Old 03-06-2013, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 59
[quote name="Stuntman_Mike" url="/t/1435626/benq-w1070-dlp-full-hd-3d-ready-with-lens-shift-for-1000/3000#post_23047023"

Anyone using the BenQ with a Harmony One remote? Curious if it's in the list of devices on their web software.[/quote]

I have the Harmony One remote and YES ^_^ it does already have the w1070 in its device list, I jumped the gun and pre-programmed my remote in anticipation of getting this projector in the near future. smile.gif

post #2987 of 9896 Old 03-06-2013, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmadiganj View Post

Received the projector last week, installed in a completely light controlled basement room, no ambient light. "Cinema' settings from Art's ProjectorReviews review seemed a little drab so I opted for "Normal", Brilliant Color On, 2.2 Gamma. This seems to brighten things up and the colors pop way more than they did on "Cinema" in a pitch black room even.

Anyway, I'm hoping someone can agree with that so I feel better, but also tell me why the picture looks grainy to me? I'm coming from a Samsung rear projection 1080p so not exactly cutting edge technology. I'm displaying on a 90" screen and things seems a little rough around the edges. I've played around with noice cancellation all the way up, all the way down - I've also messed around with sharpness full, off, half, etc...still I'm not happy with the picture. For all the sterling reviews this thing is getting, I'm fairly confident it's my settings that are forcing things to look a little washed out, not as crisp, somewhat blurrier than I ever expected.

My first post on this site, one I've been coming back to for a long time over the years. Here's hoping someone can lead me in the right direction.

Not sure, but probably the fact that you used Art's calibration settings. I think his defaulted at 50 across the board, but people are now saying that their defaults start out in the 90's I believe.

Taking someone else's calibration settings is never the preferred method. You can just as easily make things worse as you can better with the variation between models. Only way to calibrate is to do it yourself with a meter or hire someone.

post #2988 of 9896 Old 03-06-2013, 11:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Chaves View Post

I have the Harmony One remote and YES ^_^ it does already have the w1070 in its device list, I jumped the gun and pre-programmed my remote in anticipation of getting this projector in the near future. smile.gif

Thanks for the heads up. Was hoping this was the case. Makes life easier.

post #2989 of 9896 Old 03-06-2013, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesZ7 View Post

We were considering the W1080ST also, however. . . after seeing a review saying the edge to edge focus wasn't so good, and reading reviews on other BenQ short throw projectors with the same issue, and the price drop on the W1070, we decided to go with the W1070, though it has its own issues.

Just curious if you have noticed any focus issues on the W1080ST from edge-to-edge.

thanks!

When table mounted the top right corner (furthest corner from the lens) seems slightly fuzzy. It's not bad enough to notice when watching something but on the test pattern you can tell it's just not as crisp as the other corners. With some careful adjustment I can almost get it worked out but you can still see it if your looking for it. Once I get it ceiling mounted and adjusted I really don't think it's going to be an issue for me but it may be a factor for others.
post #2990 of 9896 Old 03-06-2013, 02:12 PM

I'm coming from a Bright House Motorola STB. Interestingly enough, when viewing a 3D movie streaming off Vudu on PS3 it looked wonderful.

Cable box is pushing a 1080i signal most of the time (network or ESPN sports) so I can't imagine that being the issue altogether.
post #2991 of 9896 Old 03-06-2013, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketch660 View Post

When table mounted the top right corner (furthest corner from the lens) seems slightly fuzzy. It's not bad enough to notice when watching something but on the test pattern you can tell it's just not as crisp as the other corners. With some careful adjustment I can almost get it worked out but you can still see it if your looking for it. Once I get it ceiling mounted and adjusted I really don't think it's going to be an issue for me but it may be a factor for others.

Thanks for the info!
I seen over on the W1080ST thread that a few users say that if you don't use zoom then it works/focuses better. I posted a question there to clarify, as some people were noticing some strange things — half of the screen darker.

Since the W1070 has noticeable focus issues when vertical shift is applied, especially if at max, it sounds like the W1080ST is doing good.

Thanks!
post #2992 of 9896 Old 03-06-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:

I tried Art's settings just to see. . . and, if I'm applying them correctly — applied them to the "color temperature fine tuning" in the "advanced" settings — they are unwatchable. Way too dark! Clearly, if I apply them in the "advanced" settings "color management" they make no difference, as they only change things by one point.

I have the "color temp..." settings at 100 and boosted the saturation to ~55 on RGB in "color management" and this looks decent on my temporary DIY white MDF from HD — could definitely use calibration. On my Sherwin Williams white test panel I didn't need to change anything — it looked very saturated with fairly spot on colors IMO.

HOWEVER, after talking to BenQ customer service — fan bearing started making some noise — and asking them if there should be a noticeable jump in brightness between the lamp settings. They said yes there should be. I get a modest bump in brightness from "normal" to "economic" — about the same as turning brilliant color on/off — however ecosmart is as bright as normal. So, not sure if ours is as bright as it should be — currently displayed at 84" and cinema with 2.4 gamma is OK, but not what I would call bright. I generally operate at 2.0 or 2.2 gamma in ecosmart mode with brilliant color on — it's pretty bright but not overly. . . and that's only 84". It can handle a little ambient light but if I open the shades at all it's nearly unwatchable unless the scenes are all daylight. So, I really would not classify ours as a "living room projector."

EDIT
Sorry, forgot about the grainy. If I'm using a good source it's super clear and looks great however, any material that is poorly compressed will look. . . well, poorly compressed and that often shows up as "grainy" or fizzy, etc. . .
post #2993 of 9896 Old 03-06-2013, 04:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 79
For you W1070 users out there - - outside of the throw ratio, I can't see many differences between the W1070 & W1080ST - - especially based on BenQ's website when you do a "compare" projectors.

I've read through both threads and is it safe to say that I can expect the same performance, PQ wise, out of the W1080ST as the W1070?

Mine will be a ceiling mount on a farther end of the setup (minimal "Zoom" - from what I've read, that's the best setup) and will be run through a Pioneer SC65 AVR with an OPPO BDP 103 player. 16 X 9, 100" FAVI screen - 1.3 gain.

Any issues with connecting everything via HDMI 2 out of my receiver for all video sources? (Directv, Bluray and Media Player).

I also know that taking someone else settings doesn't mean you'll get the same picture, but any caveats on what not to do or how to get the best PQ - - i.e., what's worked for you? Everything gets upscaled to 1080P from my AVR. Man cave in basement with minimal light but off white walls with dark paneling three feet high from the light carpeted area. No windows.

Thx,
Rico

Home Theater Setup
Samsung UN65ES8000 LCD/LED
BenQ W1080ST Projector
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp)
Wyred4Sound MMC-7 Channel Amplifier, 221wpc
OPPO 103, Directv GENIE
Darbee Darblet
ALL Paradigm - 7.1 - Studio 60's, V.2 (FL/FR)
CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS)
MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub
post #2994 of 9896 Old 03-06-2013, 04:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Quote:

I tried Art's settings just to see. . . and, if I'm applying them correctly — applied them to the "color temperature fine tuning" in the "advanced" settings — they are unwatchable. Way too dark! Clearly, if I apply them in the "advanced" settings "color management" they make no difference, as they only change things by one point.

I have the "color temp..." settings at 100 and boosted the saturation to ~55 on RGB in "color management" and this looks decent on my temporary DIY white MDF from HD — could definitely use calibration. On my Sherwin Williams white test panel I didn't need to change anything — it looked very saturated with fairly spot on colors IMO.

HOWEVER, after talking to BenQ customer service — fan bearing started making some noise — and asking them if there should be a noticeable jump in brightness between the lamp settings. They said yes there should be. I get a modest bump in brightness from "normal" to "economic" — about the same as turning brilliant color on/off — however ecosmart is as bright as normal. So, not sure if ours is as bright as it should be — currently displayed at 84" and cinema with 2.4 gamma is OK, but not what I would call bright. I generally operate at 2.0 or 2.2 gamma in ecosmart mode with brilliant color on — it's pretty bright but not overly. . . and that's only 84". It can handle a little ambient light but if I open the shades at all it's nearly unwatchable unless the scenes are all daylight. So, I really would not classify ours as a "living room projector."

EDIT
Sorry, forgot about the grainy. If I'm using a good source it's super clear and looks great however, any material that is poorly compressed will look. . . well, poorly compressed and that often shows up as "grainy" or fizzy, etc. . .

SmartEco is easily visible on a PC, if you play a video in a window with another window with white text in it, then maximize then re-window the video, you'll see the projector instantaneously get darker. It's like an iris, but with zero lag. You don't notice it normally from one movie scene to another because the brightness pops are continous. Trust me, we all went through this, you'll see what it does...it's a great feature, leave smart Eco on all the time, it's for optimal white/black performance not just to save $$$ in electricity.
post #2995 of 9896 Old 03-06-2013, 08:48 PM

Liked: 13
Hi guys. What picture preset mode would you guys recommend for gaming on this projector? I hope the 20ms input lag applies to all picture modes.

post #2996 of 9896 Old 03-06-2013, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Burton View Post

Hi guys. What picture preset mode would you guys recommend for gaming on this projector? I hope the 20ms input lag applies to all picture modes.

You have to try them out and see what you like.

I game with my XBOX in Cinema mode. I find other modes a little washed out, and a tad too bright. Cinema is still plenty bright for gaming. But I am in a batcave.
post #2997 of 9896 Old 03-07-2013, 05:34 AM

HOUSTON, WE HAVE A PROBLEM!

This morning I went to turn on the projector and it is not working! You can hear it turn on and it shows the blue screen but once it detects a signal, the screen will remain blank. I tried using different sources but the same problem persists.

I try hitting the menu, info, ECO Blank, etc etc buttons on the remote control but nothing works.

I've also powered it up and down several times to see if it will reset itself, but no joy.

Last time I used the PJ was Tuesday night and it was working fine.

I guess I will have to send it back to Amazon since I still have 4 days left on my 30 day return window. Thank God!

:-/ This really sucks though.

Tommy Mang likes this.
post #2998 of 9896 Old 03-07-2013, 05:54 AM

Disregard my previous post. I shut off my receiver, turned it back on and problem solved. Uffff breathes sigh of relief. :-)

Tommy Mang likes this.
post #2999 of 9896 Old 03-07-2013, 05:58 AM

Quote:

EDIT

Thanks Charles, I'm going to mess around some more this evening and give your settings a shot. What did they say about your fan? Mine is currently loud as hell and I've heard it both ways in the forums, I guess 1.04 was supposed to soften that up a bit, but not the case with me anyway.
post #3000 of 9896 Old 03-07-2013, 06:22 AM
Advanced Member

I had a few of those, it definitely seems to be a little finicky once in a blue moon where HDMI handshaking is concerned. I moved recently and had a royal pain trying out different projector positions, the hdmi cable kept falling out or even partially, causing wierd colours and so on. Benq should definitely fix the loose HDMI inputs next time around, it really vexes me they don't use standard tightness. Seriously, all my hdmi cables I tried wobble in the back a bit. Not the end of the world, a little tape can help out, but I shouldn't have to think about buying an extra adapter to get a more solid connection.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread - W1070 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page