BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$ - Page 103 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3061 of 9885 Old 03-09-2013, 09:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by man4mopar View Post

My question is does the 3D work with the PS3 directly connected to the Projector with HDMI cables you use to connect the PS3 to Receiver and Receiver to Projector? NO Lost me here, so one of the cables does not pass the 3D of the PS3 to the projector? Is it the 24' cable that does not pass it?

I dont think its the cables because he said he used the same cables with a TV and his PS3 and it worked fine even with his AVR so my guess is the problem is with the projector.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3062 of 9885 Old 03-09-2013, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

My question is does the 3D work with the PS3 directly connected to the Projector with HDMI cables you use to connect the PS3 to Receiver and Receiver to Projector? NO Lost me here, so one of the cables does not pass the 3D of the PS3 to the projector? Is it the 24' cable that does not pass it?

I can run the PS3 directly to the PJ a 24' cable and get picture but no sound except from the PJ since its not connected to the receiver.

When connected the system like it suppose to using the same 24' cable receiver but this time connected and running out the movie to my plasma everything was OK. But using my Plasma as the Benq but when the benQ is connected properly through the receiver, zip.

Hope this makes sence to you.

Ralph
post #3063 of 9885 Old 03-09-2013, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Chaves View Post

I dont think its the cables because he said he used the same cables with a TV and his PS3 and it worked fine even with his AVR so my guess is the problem is with the projector.

I agree with you Chaves 100% but can it be the receiver and the projector have a handshake issue??????? or is it the PJ.

Ralph
post #3064 of 9885 Old 03-09-2013, 09:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapper View Post

I agree with you Chaves 100% but can it be the receiver and the projector have a handshake issue??????? or is it the PJ.

well if the receiver is handshaking just find with the TV then I think its the projector because the hdmi handshake is universal, it doesnt have different standards so that would make lean towards the projector having issues, the only thing I can think of that might come into play is delay and the projector somehow missing or responding to late to the handshake? not even sure if thats a possibility for an issue.

post #3065 of 9885 Old 03-09-2013, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

well if the receiver is handshaking just find with the TV then I think its the projector because the hdmi handshake is universal, it doesnt have different standards so that would make lean towards the projector having issues, the only thing I can think of that might come into play is delay and the projector somehow missing or responding to late to the handshake? not even sure if thats a possibility for an issue.

I can still exchange it the PJ up until the 24 I believe as a DOA, no handshake with my BenQ.

Ralph
post #3066 of 9885 Old 03-09-2013, 10:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Try with another PS3, who knows. Also make sure the PS3 firmware is updated. /shrug. I would hate to be without my projector, even for a day! let alone the time it'll take to fix something.
post #3067 of 9885 Old 03-09-2013, 11:12 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

I can run the PS3 directly to the PJ a 24' cable and get picture but no sound except from the PJ since its not connected to the receiver.

When connected the system like it suppose to using the same 24' cable receiver but this time connected and running out the movie to my plasma everything was OK. But using my Plasma as the Benq but when the benQ is connected properly through the receiver, zip.

Hope this makes sence to you.

Zip as in no picture nothing? yes/no

Zip as in no 3D option? yes/no

Zip as in image is blurry but no 3D through glasses? yes/no

I agree if the system works with the receiver, PS3 and Plasma it should work with the projector. Now wondering what is seen on the screen from the projector when a 3D source is played.
Have you tried both HDMI inputs?
post #3068 of 9885 Old 03-09-2013, 11:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I can still exchange it the PJ up until the 24 I believe as a DOA, no handshake with my BenQ.

oh all this talk with 3d what about 2d? I dont recall do you have any issues playing 2d blurays with your PS3 through your AVR to your Projector? as that requires the same type of handshake

post #3069 of 9885 Old 03-10-2013, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Zip as in no picture nothing? yes/no

Zip as in no 3D option? yes/no

Zip as in image is blurry but no 3D through glasses? yes/no

I agree if the system works with the receiver, PS3 and Plasma it should work with the projector. Now wondering what is seen on the screen from the projector when a 3D source is played.
Have you tried both HDMI inputs?

Man4Mopar, you crack me up that is a good thing.

Zip as in no picture nothing? yes

Zip as in no 3D option? no option, cannot get nothing

No 3D at all, have tried different cables etc and nothing works, does the W1070 have a upgrade firmware?????

Ralph
post #3070 of 9885 Old 03-10-2013, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

oh all this talk with 3d what about 2d? I dont recall do you have any issues playing 2d blurays with your PS3 through your AVR to your Projector? as that requires the same type of handshake

Have tried everything under the sun except to exchange it.

Ralph
post #3071 of 9885 Old 03-10-2013, 09:11 AM

Liked: 10
Could you try to play 3D movies from a PC in 1080p, using PS3 and PS3 Media Server installed on the PC?

I am sure that will work.

I had a lot of problems playing 3D mkvs from PC to my 3D Panasonic plasma, but I tryed with PS3 Media Server and it works perfectly.
post #3072 of 9885 Old 03-10-2013, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Have tried everything under the sun except to exchange it.

I think then you better exchange it that way you gain another 30 days return and hopefully that solves the problem.

post #3073 of 9885 Old 03-10-2013, 11:16 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevo82 View Post

Please post some pictures after you try the screen with the W1070.

I wonder if there it's a huge difference between Black Diamond screen and DIY Black Widow painted screen for using the projector with ambient light, like here or here

Yeah, I'm going to be posting my whole build soon. I would think that the BD Screen would be a much bigger difference with the multi layer system they use as apposed to a more simple painted system, but the proof is in the pudding!

I hope to have the PJ and screen mounted next weekend March 16-17th with pictures to follow. I've had the privileged of installing some huge home theater setups ($250K+ cost for the theater room alone) and now that I've just moved into my own place (no longer renting) I'm thrilled to be able to put some work into my own setup. I don't have the funds to setup crazy expensive stuff like what I'm used to working with, however I feel my experience with the uber expensive hardware setups lends me to pick-out good bang for the buck hardware (like the Benq w1070).

I picked up the Black Diamond 1.4 113" screen for $1,400 SHIPPED! That's less than half the price if you were to go buy it from Best Buy/Magnolia. Unfortunately it looks like the guy I got it from no longer has any more in stock.

To say I'm excited is a complete understatement! I have high hopes for this screen and PJ setup. I'll keep everyone here updated.

Currently using a 113" 1.4 Black Diamond Fixed screen, BenQ w1070, Full 7.0 JBL speaker setup, Klipsch Reference RW-12d Subwoofer, Yamaha RX-V671 Receiver
post #3074 of 9885 Old 03-10-2013, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think then you better exchange it that way you gain another 30 days return and hopefully that solves the problem.

Thinking about it or going with another PJ that cost more, never have I had a handshake issue but their is always the first time, uh.

Just talked to Amazon and they suggested to contact BenQ support and if they can't help me then exchange, have 12 day's still

Ralph
post #3075 of 9885 Old 03-10-2013, 02:00 PM
d4g

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi I returned the projector and got another one

The darkness issue is ok

But now the focus is crisp on the right and a touch out on the left
Should I exchange again

Denis
post #3076 of 9885 Old 03-10-2013, 02:10 PM
d4g

Hi I returned the projector and got another one

The darkness issue is ok

But now the focus is crisp on the right and a touch out on the left
Should I exchange again

Denis
post #3077 of 9885 Old 03-10-2013, 02:14 PM
d4g

From seating position u can't see the focus.

That's why I said its touch out.
post #3078 of 9885 Old 03-10-2013, 02:25 PM
d4g

Am I expecting too much

Denis
post #3079 of 9885 Old 03-10-2013, 04:07 PM
Advanced Member

From what we can tell, usually if the focus is out on one side it means the alignment of the projector is wrong. measure the height of the left and right edges, if they are the same and the focus is still wrong, the maybe your project has an issue. If they are slightly off that explains it. You really have to align the projector properly then re-focus until the left and right are the same sharpness. And no projector is perfect either.
TropMonk likes this.
post #3080 of 9885 Old 03-10-2013, 04:38 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by TropMonk View Post

Yeah, I'm going to be posting my whole build soon. I would think that the BD Screen would be a much bigger difference with the multi layer system they use as apposed to a more simple painted system, but the proof is in the pudding!

I hope to have the PJ and screen mounted next weekend March 16-17th with pictures to follow. I've had the privileged of installing some huge home theater setups ($250K+ cost for the theater room alone) and now that I've just moved into my own place (no longer renting) I'm thrilled to be able to put some work into my own setup. I don't have the funds to setup crazy expensive stuff like what I'm used to working with, however I feel my experience with the uber expensive hardware setups lends me to pick-out good bang for the buck hardware (like the Benq w1070).

I picked up the Black Diamond 1.4 113" screen for $1,400 SHIPPED! That's less than half the price if you were to go buy it from Best Buy/Magnolia. Unfortunately it looks like the guy I got it from no longer has any more in stock.

To say I'm excited is a complete understatement! I have high hopes for this screen and PJ setup. I'll keep everyone here updated.

Definitely curious how the Black Diamond screen performs with this projector. I haven't seen a whole lot of forum experience posted
TropMonk likes this.
post #3081 of 9885 Old 03-10-2013, 05:41 PM
d4g

Well I understand that but the previous projector was sharp on the left but out if focus on the right

Returned it got another now this one is sharp on the right out if focus on left and it is in the same position as the last one

I rang Benq and they said they will test both batches as I am now using this one and last one from January 2013 1.04 firmware

They said they will test both and check the focus and darkness if both and the couriour that to me and pickup the faulty one

I can safely say the customer service is great from benq Australia

Denis
post #3082 of 9885 Old 03-10-2013, 07:44 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g View Post

Well I understand that but the previous projector was sharp on the left but out if focus on the right

Returned it got another now this one is sharp on the right out if focus on left and it is in the same position as the last one

Umm... Can't you adjust the focus so that this one becomes sharp on the left? (and then it will be fuzzy on the right?)

If it is sharp on one side and fuzzy on the other, seems to me you should be able to pick which side is sharp and which is fuzzy by adjusting the focus?
TropMonk likes this.
post #3083 of 9885 Old 03-10-2013, 10:55 PM
Advanced Member

Like I said, it sounds like a common alignment problem, the focus can't be even left to right no matter what if the projector beam isn't perfectly even with the screen. The easiest way to find out if just to measure the heights of the edges and compare them.
post #3084 of 9885 Old 03-10-2013, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBURNSIDE View Post

Like I said, it sounds like a common alignment problem

Yup, it does.
post #3085 of 9885 Old 03-11-2013, 02:30 AM

Liked: 10
Anyone tried this projector with ND2 -filter ? if so, would love to see / hear about results
post #3086 of 9885 Old 03-11-2013, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I don't know if this has been discussed, but I can not get any SBS or TB files to be recognized as 3D. I ripped a couple of my 3D movies in those formats to see how ghosting look on my jvc projectors. My 3D blu ray discs work with no problems as they are frame pack. I tried the files with my Oppo 103 and AIOS HD Media Center. Both worked with the W7000 with no problems. I think if the W0170 could just choose 3D, I can select TB or sbs they would work. Is there anyway this is possible?
post #3087 of 9885 Old 03-11-2013, 07:00 AM

Liked: 13
That's strange then. I havnt received my screen yet so for the time being I'm projecting on my White wall. The screens image is larger on one side and smaller on the other, because I have the PJ on a stool next to my chair.

I thought that the focus on one side and not that focused on the other would fix itself as soon as the projector is properly centred? Sounds bad.

post #3088 of 9885 Old 03-11-2013, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 34
Setup my W1070 and screen this weekend. Getting it perfectly aligned (I have slight OCD lol) was annoying as hell, but finally got it effectively perfect.

The praise was well deserved. The image is quite beautiful. Blacks are good, not great, but everything else about the image is spectacular.

PJ is bright. With the lights on, or a little sun, the image is very good, provided that it is showing mostly bright material. If you are watching anything dark, the blacks quickly get washed out. Not surprising, and it's still watchable. I'd say that with a little ambient light, the blacks look like a very cheap computer monitor, and with the lights out and room darkened, the blacks look like a decent LCD TV.

Tried out a BD last night and it was great on the 110". Dark scenes looked good, while bright scenes looked phenomenal. I definitely miss the blacks of my Panny, and I will upgrade to a better PJ in a few years. I just wanted something that was great for the price for now, which this is, and then I'll get a 4k projector when they get into the $5k-6k range, instead of spending that much now and having to do it again a few years from now.

Very satisfied so far. Didn't even run a cal yet, and the colors are still pretty awesome out of the box. Just used the AVCH test disc to set Contrast and brightness, selected User 1 warm color temp with SmartEco. Now that my colorimeter and tripod came, I'll run a full cal sometime this week on multiple modes. For now, I'm content with how impressive the image is out of the box.

Noise isn't a factor either (knock on wood). The fan is quite low. My PJ is ceiling mounted overhead and the only time I hear it is if there is absolutely no sound from the TV. It's quieter than my computer (which to be fair, has 6 fans lol), and the PS3.

I'd recommend this projector to anyone that wants one that will give a pretty expensive picture at a relatively inexpensive price.

post #3089 of 9885 Old 03-11-2013, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

I don't know if this has been discussed, but I can not get any SBS or TB files to be recognized as 3D. I ripped a couple of my 3D movies in those formats to see how ghosting look on my jvc projectors. My 3D blu ray discs work with no problems as they are frame pack. I tried the files with my Oppo 103 and AIOS HD Media Center. Both worked with the W7000 with no problems. I think if the W0170 could just choose 3D, I can select TB or sbs they would work. Is there anyway this is possible?

Yes, there has been lengthy discussions on how to play the different 3D formats.

I posted how to use stereoscopic player. . . here

On that same page there are lots of discussions about 3D, especially SBS.
post #3090 of 9885 Old 03-11-2013, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Burton View Post

I thought that the focus on one side and not that focused on the other would fix itself as soon as the projector is properly centred?

It will. It has to be centered AND parallel to the screen. If it is angled one way or the other (even slightly) then it will mis-align the image.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page