BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$ - Page 133 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3961 of 9510 Old 04-05-2013, 12:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
im at 160 and loving the 3d, ive got one of the 1st batch's, it has no flaws so far, sent it in to get a free firwware update to 1.05, it's epic for $970 waiting for a calibration disc to arrive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3962 of 9510 Old 04-05-2013, 12:54 AM

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapper View Post

Well received my Hoya 72 and it overlays a bid so will try to cover the barrel evenly and tape it, so the correct size is 66 or lower.

No a 67mm fits completely inside the face of the lense barrel. If you had noted comments on the 72mm one you needed to purchase a 72 to 67 adapter to make it work without looking bodged.
post #3963 of 9510 Old 04-05-2013, 02:26 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Flowers View Post

Here is a previous post that addresses the color wheel speed. It is a 6x speed wheel. Every review I've read supports that. And a guy who just joined today on his first post tries to refute this with a link to an obscure forum post. Hmmm?

Just ask those reviewers how do they measure color wheel speed...actually they didn't do the measurements.
I do not ask to beleive ME, just do YOUR OWN measurements. And you will find out that it has 240Hz (4x).
If you can not do it yourself, just ask your local Benq tech support to comment graphics that I have shown you.
post #3964 of 9510 Old 04-05-2013, 04:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I did a Google search and I think that this question and post explains how Benq is using the color when on the 1070. The effective speed is 6x using RGB even though it is rotating at 3X.

See below:

"I was under the impression that 5x is the physical color wheel speed, but it only appears to be 2.5x. Fastest color wheel speed now is 3x (Optoma HD33, BenQ W1070 and some others). Does it mean they show the same amount of RBE? Don’t know."

1X means that red, blue and green image subframes are displayed one time each 1/60 second. Older color wheels only had 3 segments, but many newer models, such as the W1070, have 6 segments with the RGB repeated two times. Thus such a 6-segment color wheel that is mechanically rotating at 3X speed will produce an effective 6X speed with each of the R, B and G subframes displayed 6 times each 1/60 sec. Such a color wheel setup will show less RBE than other projectors using color wheels with a lower effective speed.
acras13 likes this.
post #3965 of 9510 Old 04-05-2013, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post

"I was under the impression that 5x is the physical color wheel speed, but it only appears to be 2.5x. Fastest color wheel speed now is 3x (Optoma HD33, BenQ W1070 and some others). Does it mean they show the same amount of RBE? Don’t know."

physical speed of w1070 in 2D mode - 2x, but due to RGBRGB basis - effective color wheel speed - 4x.
Can anybody show official specifications, where Benq confirms real(10800 rpm)/effective (6x) color wheel speed?
post #3966 of 9510 Old 04-05-2013, 05:14 AM

Liked: 18
Not to be rude, but does knowing the speed really matter. At the end of the day it rainbows in 2D and 3D and thats a fact.
Tommy Mang likes this.
post #3967 of 9510 Old 04-05-2013, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DMamper View Post

Not to be rude, but does knowing the speed really matter. At the end of the day it rainbows in 2D and 3D and thats a fact.

For some and not for some......,,,,,,,,and that's a fact:)
post #3968 of 9510 Old 04-05-2013, 06:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:

Thats because they dont call it reality creation on the s790. Its hidden in the custom picture setting 1 and 2. Its like reality creation, in 2 parts, First called texture remapping, and the second slider is called super resolution. I compared it to the RC on my sony HW50es projector and it does more or less the same thing. Makes cheap projectors such as the HD33 and W1070 a LOT better especially in 3D mode.

Thanks very much for the tip! I found this on Page 24 of the Sony BDP S790 manual.

Quick question - - with all these options - - what do you recommend to use for our projectors? Is it just for Bluray or DVD discs or even for streaming? Thx again for letting me know about a feature that I had no knowledge of! If it helps with the picture quality - - then that's fantastic! (Clear Black? Have you tried that?)

Video Settings (Page 24 of the Sony BDP S790 manual):

4 Picture Quality Mode: Selects the picture setting
• Texture Rernaster. Adjusts the sharpness and detail of the edges.
• Super Resolution: Improves the resolution.
• Smoothing; Reduces an-screen banding by smoothing gradations on flat areas.
• Contrast Rems_ster: Automatically arranges the black and white levels so that the screen is not too dark and the image is modulated.
• Clear Black._ Adjusts the display (.1.f the dark elements of the image. All shading is not suppressed; it allows beautifully reproduced black tones.)

Home Theater Setup
Samsung UN65ES8000 LCD/LED
BenQ W1080ST Projector
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp)
Wyred4Sound MMC-7 Channel Amplifier, 221wpc
OPPO 103, Directv GENIE
Darbee Darblet
ALL Paradigm - 7.1 - Studio 60's, V.2 (FL/FR)
CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS)
MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub
post #3969 of 9510 Old 04-05-2013, 06:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan33 View Post

For some and not for some......,,,,,,,,and that's a fact:)

I see zero rainbows - - so maybe I'm lucky. If you do see rainbows - - then there are other projectors to choose from.

Home Theater Setup
BenQ W1080ST Projector
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp)
OPPO 103, Directv GENIE
Darbee Darblet
CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS)
post #3970 of 9510 Old 04-05-2013, 06:17 AM

Liked: 12
Anybody managed to upgrade FW from 1.02 to 1.04 or 1.05 via USB using the tools published a few weeks ago ??
post #3971 of 9510 Old 04-05-2013, 07:18 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by velconti View Post

physical speed of w1070 in 2D mode - 2x, but due to RGBRGB basis - effective color wheel speed - 4x.
Can anybody show official specifications, where Benq confirms real(10800 rpm)/effective (6x) color wheel speed?
Can you show any official specs refuting what has been stated? There are more posts here quoting information that differs from what you posted than supporting your source, how reliable is what you found versus what several of us have found? It looks like at least 3 sources to your one saying it is effectively higher speed than what you claim.
I have no idea if 4x, 6x or even 2x makes any difference to me yet as far as the rbe since its been about 6 years since I've watched a dlp in home, and that was a worn out mit. Rear proj. TV. It's my curiosity that's been driving the question, thanks to those who've posted info on this sub topic.
Now on another question for this who have the PJ, since I might have my plans sold this weekend helping top fund the w1070 I want to prep my room. Since I see the lens is offset from the center, how far off screen centerline did you have to install your mount? I'd like to get wires run and bracing in place , but I haven't seen, or missed the offset from centreline measurement. Thanks again, lots of helpful information from everyone.

“Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”---Mark Twain
post #3972 of 9510 Old 04-05-2013, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezerpl View Post

Anybody managed to upgrade FW from 1.02 to 1.04 or 1.05 via USB using the tools published a few weeks ago ??

I and others have updated the firmware via USB. Use these instructions and links below;
(repost)
A few people asked for firmware update instructions.
I suggest that you do this only if you have an early version of the firmware and are having issues that need to be fixed. One must also realize that if you mess up the firmware update your warranty could be void

Firmware available below:

https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B_xTFybwtlbvU1oxdHRNcWd3LTQ/edit?pli=1&docId=0B_xTFybwtlbvTHFqclRLU3pBNlk.

https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B_xTFybwtlbvU1oxdHRNcWd3LTQ/edit

If one wants to do the update I suggest doing it using a standard to min B cable.

1. Write down all your settings before starting a.
2. I suggest that you create a new folder on your desktop called 1070 firmware in the new folder.
3. Download the download tool and unzip in new folder.
4. Download the 105 img file to the same folder.
5. .Install the download tool. It is called DLP composer.
5A Copy the Flash Device Parameters. txt file to the DLP composer program file (It is under programs x86 DLP Composer) Just copy and paste the file.
6. Open the DLP Composer tool and go to edit, preferences.
7. When the window opens go to communication and set it to USB
8. Close this window and click on flash loader on the opening screen. A window will open.
8. Change the mark to Complete Image Download Put check in Skip Boot loader area Change 59 32Kb
9. On the top of the flash loader hit the browse button and go to your folder 105 img file.
10. Insert the USB cable in the min plug on the projector and into your computer. (Wait for the drivers to load. This should take a minute with windows 7 or 8
11. Unplug the projector and push the power and auto buttons at the same time. Plug in the projector while holding the buttons. The LED on the projector will turn red if you are in download mode.
(If it turns orange do this again until you only get the red led) This is very important.
12 Hit the Reset Bus and Start Download. The upgrade process should take about 5 minutes. A timer will start telling you how long it will take.
13. Do not unplug anything during the process. When everything completes the LED on the projector will turn to standby orange.
14. Unplug the USB cable and turn the projector on
15 You will have to put all your settings back in and turn source select to auto
16. Instructions are also available in the service manual PDF you downloaded to your folder.
17. Only do this upgrade at your own risk and if you are familiar with doing firmware updates..
18. You do not need the service tool to do the firmware update the firmware and write down your settings.
Edited by rwestley - 3/25/13 at 1:18am

If the links do not P.M. me. I have the firmware and tool saved.
geezerpl and acras13 like this.
post #3973 of 9510 Old 04-05-2013, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
OK, what does the FW 1.05, consist of??? what upgrades etc.

Ralph
post #3974 of 9510 Old 04-05-2013, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Chaves View Post

you have reached the voice mail box of.... Daniel Chaves... he cant come to the phone right due to him watching way to many movies and shows on his new projector...

so yeah in short loving it so far, but I will give my two cents when I hit 100hrs, Im at 60 so far... smile.gif

Glad to hear that you are enjoying it, this message will self destruct in 100 years, LOL

Ralph
post #3975 of 9510 Old 04-05-2013, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapper View Post

OK, what does the FW 1.05, consist of??? what upgrades etc.

Do a search of thread.

Depends what version you have on your unit.
102 fixed issue with flicker using Dynamic mode
103 fixed fan speed issue
104-105 An HDMI issue and langue issue.

More information was posted somewhere in the thread.
post #3976 of 9510 Old 04-05-2013, 09:44 AM

I did experimented further after moving my projector at about 13feet. I'm getting the stunning by picture it proejects and i was amazed by the picture quality from this projector. Since its my first projector, i was very thrilled!, (currently owning a Sony 55' nx810.)

Just to want to let you know, i bought this projector from amazon.com last week and got the firmware version of 1.5 out of the box. The box was originally shipped to amazon.com from BENQ (that's what inside label shows).

I'm really happy that my money well spent any my 3d experience will be today as my BENQ 3d glass arriving today.

Also thinking about getting a screen to have 120 or 150 inches, very confused?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Chaves View Post

1. That is normal

2. Your projector or wall may not be square causing the image to be distorted (make sure the projector is bubble level at all axis and make sure it is perfectly straight on to the angle of the wall)

3. yes you have to manually measure the screen size
post #3977 of 9510 Old 04-05-2013, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post

Thanks very much for the tip! I found this on Page 24 of the Sony BDP S790 manual.

Quick question - - with all these options - - what do you recommend to use for our projectors? Is it just for Bluray or DVD discs or even for streaming? Thx again for letting me know about a feature that I had no knowledge of! If it helps with the picture quality - - then that's fantastic! (Clear Black? Have you tried that?)

Video Settings (Page 24 of the Sony BDP S790 manual):

4 Picture Quality Mode: Selects the picture setting
• Texture Rernaster. Adjusts the sharpness and detail of the edges.
• Super Resolution: Improves the resolution.
• Smoothing; Reduces an-screen banding by smoothing gradations on flat areas.
• Contrast Rems_ster: Automatically arranges the black and white levels so that the screen is not too dark and the image is modulated.
• Clear Black._ Adjusts the display (.1.f the dark elements of the image. All shading is not suppressed; it allows beautifully reproduced black tones.)

Good to know you found it. The settings depend from movie to movie. The cleaner the movie the more you can ramp up the settings. Theres only 6 settings in texture remap and 3 settings for super resolution. So you cant ho wrong much. For movies i find that texture at 3 and res at 2 or 3. For animated CGI stuff, you can do texture at 5or 6 and super res at 3 :P. im a HD detail swine so my likings may be overkill for others. But tbh is harder to over cook the image with this form of reality creation than the " true" one on the HW50es. Have fun. biggrin.gif

Clear blacks dont improve blacks. It just makes more of the image covered in black. So on TVs that have super contrast compared to projectors you get a more vivid/contrasty picture. On projectors all it does is cover your image in more dark greys :P
post #3978 of 9510 Old 04-05-2013, 10:07 AM

Does anyone here knows whats firmware 1.05 fixes over 1.04? Thanks biggrin.gif
post #3979 of 9510 Old 04-05-2013, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by solaris72 View Post

I did experimented further after moving my projector at about 13feet. I'm getting the stunning by picture it proejects and i was amazed by the picture quality from this projector. Since its my first projector, i was very thrilled!, (currently owning a Sony 55' nx810.)

Just to want to let you know, i bought this projector from amazon.com last week and got the firmware version of 1.5 out of the box. The box was originally shipped to amazon.com from BENQ (that's what inside label shows).

I'm really happy that my money well spent any my 3d experience will be today as my BENQ 3d glass arriving today.

Also thinking about getting a screen to have 120 or 150 inches, very confused?

Use BenQ's calculator on their site. It is accurate.

Measure your wall and see how big a screen you can fit there. Keep in mind, if you go with fixed frame to take into account the bezel.

Once you know how big a screen you can fit, decide how big a screen you actually want. Once you know what size screen you want, use the BenQ calculator to tell you exactly how far back from the screen the projector needs to be in order to project an image that size. I would suggest placing it slightly further than what ever it says and zooming in a little to shrink the image to fit. Better than being off the other direction.

There is no way for the projector to tell you what size screen it is projecting. Just place it in the right spot according to the BenQ calc, and it should fit your screen exactly.

post #3980 of 9510 Old 04-05-2013, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 34
Quote:

Does anyone here knows whats firmware 1.05 fixes over 1.04? Thanks biggrin.gif

Not much.

Allows changes made to the ISF menu to be saved, and adds a language pack, if I remember correctly.

post #3981 of 9510 Old 04-05-2013, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman_Mike View Post

Use BenQ's calculator on their site. It is accurate.

Measure your wall and see how big a screen you can fit there. Keep in mind, if you go with fixed frame to take into account the bezel.

Once you know how big a screen you can fit, decide how big a screen you actually want. Once you know what size screen you want, use the BenQ calculator to tell you exactly how far back from the screen the projector needs to be in order to project an image that size. I would suggest placing it slightly further than what ever it says and zooming in a little to shrink the image to fit. Better than being off the other direction.

There is no way for the projector to tell you what size screen it is projecting. Just place it in the right spot according to the BenQ calc, and it should fit your screen exactly.

I had more of a challenge with the BenQ W1080ST - - no vertical lens offset.

But you know what? It worked out great. We measured the mid point of my room (ceiling) and I installed the projector. I shined the image on the wall - - just to see how the projector looked and even marked the approximate "screen size" at the corners (100" Diagonal - 16 X 9) on the wall with removable "dots" - stickers (anything will do as long as you don't permanently mark up on your wall!)

That gave me a great reference point. Then, we did an exact measurement to the mid point of the lens and put a corresponding mark on the wall where the projector image (and screen) would be to note it. (Cross reference).

Recommendation!!! If you can install your projector, first - - you can see what inherent problems you may have - - if any. Also - - when you get your screen - - measure the mid-point from the screen itself - - in that, that outside housing will not necessarily be the "mid-point" if you just take the measurements and divide by two. There might be (probably) different mechanisms to retract the screen (if you are getting an electric screen) and even a manual screen might not be 100% true to the outside length dimensions in relation to the middle of your screen when it is fully extended.

Once it's up and running - - you'll really be happy! And plan on some early marathon sessions - - nothing like having your own "movie theater" experience!

Enjoy!

Home Theater Setup
BenQ W1080ST Projector
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp)
OPPO 103, Directv GENIE
Darbee Darblet
CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS)
post #3982 of 9510 Old 04-05-2013, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman_Mike View Post

Not much.

Allows changes made to the ISF menu to be saved, and adds a language pack, if I remember correctly.

No need to update unless you are using the ISF menu and want to save it. The language pack fix only was for Sweden.
If you have firmware 102 or 103 you might want to do the upgrade. If you have 104 the only reason to do it is to save the ISF settings.
post #3983 of 9510 Old 04-05-2013, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Will pass this one., Thanks

Ralph
post #3984 of 9510 Old 04-06-2013, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velconti View Post

Hi, in BenQ w1070 service manual(W 1070 9H.J7L77.17E.pdf, page 7) you can find some info about wheel speed. 2x(4x) for 60hz and 3x(6x) for 50hz material. I can also easily hear wheel speed variation between modes. Fastest one is 24hz 3D mode and 50hz, and slowest one is 24hz 2D mode, it even drops from 60hz.
post #3985 of 9510 Old 04-06-2013, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Good to know you found it. The settings depend from movie to movie. The cleaner the movie the more you can ramp up the settings. Theres only 6 settings in texture remap and 3 settings for super resolution. So you cant ho wrong much. For movies i find that texture at 3 and res at 2 or 3. For animated CGI stuff, you can do texture at 5or 6 and super res at 3 :P. im a HD detail swine so my likings may be overkill for others. But tbh is harder to over cook the image with this form of reality creation than the " true" one on the HW50es. Have fun. biggrin.gif

Clear blacks dont improve blacks. It just makes more of the image covered in black. So on TVs that have super contrast compared to projectors you get a more vivid/contrasty picture. On projectors all it does is cover your image in more dark greys :P

It took me awhile to find it when playing a Bluray disc! Easy to find in the manual!

Very simply - - for those who have the Sony BDP S790 player - - just press the "Options" button while watching a Bluray/DVD and you'll find everything.

Home Theater Setup
BenQ W1080ST Projector
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp)
OPPO 103, Directv GENIE
Darbee Darblet
CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS)
post #3986 of 9510 Old 04-06-2013, 08:11 AM

Liked: 13
I've noticed this projector does take it's time when finding a source signal. Sometimes for those with a PS3, you miss the PS3 logo because of it. (Not that that's improtant lol) it's much slower at finding a source signal than my plamsa for sure, but it's not got nothing on this projector smile.gif

post #3987 of 9510 Old 04-06-2013, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

That is for sure searching source, is giving me a slight headache, its one of the faults of the W1070.

Ralph
post #3988 of 9510 Old 04-06-2013, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Burton View Post

I've noticed this projector does take it's time when finding a source signal. Sometimes for those with a PS3, you miss the PS3 logo because of it. (Not that that's improtant lol) it's much slower at finding a source signal than my plamsa for sure, but it's not got nothing on this projector smile.gif

Yes - I notice this too!

Sometimes, I just toggle through "Source" inputs and that will find the source signal. Sometimes, when I turn the projector on - - it has switched to the "Video" input - - although I've never used that "Source" before! I then arrow up to HDMI 1.

If all else fails - - I turn off my receiver and turn it on again. I wonder if all these HDMI handshake issues have to do solely with the projector or is it HDCP or some other problem in the signal recognition.

It's a minor inconvenience and once the signal is established, it's a joy to watch!

Home Theater Setup
BenQ W1080ST Projector
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp)
OPPO 103, Directv GENIE
Darbee Darblet
CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS)
post #3989 of 9510 Old 04-06-2013, 11:11 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Here's my w1070 setup so far, just waiting for my new hdmi cable,power cord and hd2 so I can run them neatly but besides that I'm very happy with this setup for the price.[IMG][IMG]
post #3990 of 9510 Old 04-06-2013, 11:40 AM

OK. I know that the "question has been asked lots of times" but this is driving me crazy. Do Panasonic BDP110 players work with this projector? I've tried changing everything out once or twice and can't seem to get the BD player and PJ to agree to talk 1080/24p. I had it working for a few minutes and then it stopped.. Is there some other secret? Would a newer BD player be better? I'm a fairly bright guy but I've spent at least 10 hours on this over several days. VERY aggravating.

Check here later for a thoughtful, funny, profound .sig line.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page