BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$ - Page 139 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
post #4141 of 10393 Old 04-12-2013, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by seafan View Post

Thanks for the feedback, I guess the popularity on Amazon doesn't mean much.

The BenQ calculator shows that I'll need to mount it at 24" from ceiling, that's why I'm looking at this one, instead of Mustang. I also need a white one.

I agree the Mustang is quite good and comes with all the screws you might need. The Pearless is probably the best but it is expensive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4142 of 10393 Old 04-12-2013, 04:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
My W1070 arrived today. I wanted to hold off on sending the HD33 back until I had plenty of time to test the unit out, but I have a feeling I'll be packing the Optoma tonite.

I don't know much at all about projectors, whichever I choose will be my first. That said, I can only assume that there may possibly be something wrong with the Optoma given how closely these two are often compared. The W1070 is far and away brighter, more colorful, and has a more overall pleasing picture.

Given how little I know about projectors, after playing with the Optoma for a week and the BenQ for an hour, the two seem worlds apart. Could the lamp actually be bad in the Optoma? I certainly didn't expect the comparison to be as night and day as it is in terms of picture quality.

One thing the Optoma has up on the BenQ though is the remote. Was that really the best BenQ could do? I'm sure it fits perfectly into the hands of a six year old if that was their target demographic. Jokes aside, I'll certainly live with it given how exceptional the actual product is.

Thanks to all in the forum who encouraged me to give this projector a try. I'm so glad I didn't settle for the HD33.
post #4143 of 10393 Old 04-12-2013, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBURNSIDE View Post

1. Pretty much, I don't think you will enjoy a projector during the daytime, with the windows bleeding light in, duh. I had the same issue, but I didn't expect any different. If you buy this, get yourself some $10 blinds and/or a grey screen.

2. If you're looking at that range I'd buy a plasma TV, honestly. You will get a better picture. If you get 100", trust me you will think flat panels are too small for the price you pay (even despite the difference in contrast). If you ran the projector at 60", it will be incredibly bright. Don't do it! Or get a filter, like others have here. Just buy a 100" inch screen that's electric with a black backing and drops down in front of the windows, problem solved. You can even hook it up so that it will go up and down when you turn on/off the projector. That's what I'm doing.

3. Noise is pretty low, unless you have a defective unit.

4. How should we know? You probably won't, based on the proportion of responses here (not an official poll), but there are ways to diminish it if you do. The benefits of this PJ over similar cheap LCD models are well known. I.e. even if you do see some rainbows once in a while, they aren't a big issue. No technology is perfect, and this one is pretty darn good for the price, and even not for the price. I've seen great looking plasmas at the store and still prefer what I have now, at home, for a fraction of the cost and 4x the size.

Ok thanks for the help !!

Btw do you have any thread for your automatic screen up/down system ?
post #4144 of 10393 Old 04-12-2013, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi, guys. I was wondering if anyone could help me with 3D. I have an HTPC I use, and playing O/U Mkv files, and Bluray ISO's via Total Media Theater, gives me almost zero pop out effect. The only time I can see anything pop out of the screen, is in a LG demo video, but the only time anything will pop out is when, say they throw a baseball and it does then slow frame effect where it's moving slowly. The depth from the screen back is fine, but nothing ever comes out in movies. I watched MIB 3 and nothing ever popped out once. It seems like the scenes where you know something should be coming out, are too fast? Like in Abraham Lincoln vampire hunter, in the beginning the guy cracks a whip and it kind of slows that scene down, and you know that whip should be coming out of the screen, but it's just flat.

I'm also not sure, if I have my PJ set up right. Reading a while back I saw people saying that when you apply the zoom, the image should get smaller? Should my PJ be closer to the screen and -technically- zoomed in, thus any zoom adjustment would make the picture smaller? This doesn't seem right and would probably place the pj 7-8 feet from the screen. I think it's sitting about 10-11' now.

It's ceiling mounted, beaming on a 120" screen. The screen is flat against the wall, but I have to have Keystone at -3. Could this be the issue with 3d? I have a low (normal bedroom sized) ceiling rec room so my screen is about 4" from the ceiling and about a foot off the ground. Is this what's causing my keystone issue? It's the same with a 4" and 10" drop.

Could there be something wrong with the Projector? I use the sainsonic 144hz glasses. PC out is set to 1080p 24hz... not sure what else to do, but I keep reading how these DLP Projectors are almost better than movie theater 3D, and this is not the case at all in my case.
post #4145 of 10393 Old 04-12-2013, 07:41 PM

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by THe_Flash View Post

One thing the Optoma has up on the BenQ though is the remote. Was that really the best BenQ could do? I'm sure it fits perfectly into the hands of a six year old if that was their target demographic. Jokes aside, I'll certainly live with it given how exceptional the actual product is.

Great to hear that you enjoy the projector, welcome to the club.

On the issue of the remote, realistically, unlike a remote for a player, how often will you need to use the remote? You should not need it at all once a particular show has been set up. So, infrequently is the answer. I have not found it to be an issue at all, except finding it at times so I leave it next to the projector so I know where it is.
post #4146 of 10393 Old 04-12-2013, 09:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by accordex View Post

Hi, guys. I was wondering if anyone could help me with 3D. I have an HTPC I use, and playing O/U Mkv files, and Bluray ISO's via Total Media Theater, gives me almost zero pop out effect. The only time I can see anything pop out of the screen, is in a LG demo video, but the only time anything will pop out is when, say they throw a baseball and it does then slow frame effect where it's moving slowly. The depth from the screen back is fine, but nothing ever comes out in movies. I watched MIB 3 and nothing ever popped out once. It seems like the scenes where you know something should be coming out, are too fast? Like in Abraham Lincoln vampire hunter, in the beginning the guy cracks a whip and it kind of slows that scene down, and you know that whip should be coming out of the screen, but it's just flat.

I'm also not sure, if I have my PJ set up right. Reading a while back I saw people saying that when you apply the zoom, the image should get smaller? Should my PJ be closer to the screen and -technically- zoomed in, thus any zoom adjustment would make the picture smaller? This doesn't seem right and would probably place the pj 7-8 feet from the screen. I think it's sitting about 10-11' now.

It's ceiling mounted, beaming on a 120" screen. The screen is flat against the wall, but I have to have Keystone at -3. Could this be the issue with 3d? I have a low (normal bedroom sized) ceiling rec room so my screen is about 4" from the ceiling and about a foot off the ground. Is this what's causing my keystone issue? It's the same with a 4" and 10" drop.

Could there be something wrong with the Projector? I use the sainsonic 144hz glasses. PC out is set to 1080p 24hz... not sure what else to do, but I keep reading how these DLP Projectors are almost better than movie theater 3D, and this is not the case at all in my case.

There's actually a switch on the Saisonic glasses that will invert the 3d and take the 3d effect almost completely out of the picture. Try pressing that and see if you notice any difference. Just a thought smile.gif

post #4147 of 10393 Old 04-12-2013, 10:49 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JewDaddy View Post

There's actually a switch on the Saisonic glasses that will invert the 3d and take the 3d effect almost completely out of the picture. Try pressing that and see if you notice any difference. Just a thought smile.gif

Thanks for replying, I got that part down smile.gif it's annoying as hell, kinda hard to figure out which one to chose in some scenes initially. Sadly, this is not the issue. Pressing it once, will make things in the foreground stretched, and the second click will align everything, making the picture even, easy on the eyes, and again, give a nice depth as far as the screen surface and back, but nothing coming out.

I bought a Bluray Standalone player along with Disney WOW disc tonight. I'll try that out, with a short hdmi cable straight into the projector, to see if perhaps the 35ft cable I currently have is the issue. Also, I'll try running the pc straight into the PJ bypassing my pioneer VSX-1021k (has HDMI 1.4a through, video convert set to off, so that shouldn't be an issue)

I just know, that the 2 demo videos I have to test 3D, are worlds apart, from when I briefly owned the Optoma 750, where, the Jazz Festival scene, where the guy is playing the trumpet and walks forward and slides it out, it's right there in front of you, moving all the way left to right across the whole viewing area, and the LG demo video has a ton of scenes, where again, objects are slowed down to a crawl, and only then coming out of the screen. On this PJ, it barely comes out, and on the slowed down scenes, the objects are blurry and hurt your eyes.

Something is not right, and I'd really like to get it worked out, since this is clearly 10x the projector of the Optoma, in every way but this.

Could it be the glasses? With the optoma I had 3Dtvcorp, now I have the 144hz Sainsonics...
post #4148 of 10393 Old 04-12-2013, 11:43 PM

Hello everybody!

I'm also in search for my first projector.
It will be used ONLY for Gaming, HD Movies (always with subtitles) and Anime. Not really interested in 3D

It will be used in a living room setup, wich has light colored walls, a window that will be covered, white roof with a height of about 90 inches – so, between medium to little ambient lightning during daytime.

Also, I have never seen a DLP PJ before, so I dont´know if the RainBow Effect will afect me.

By the way, I'm from South America, so I don't have access to all kinds of Projectors.

My options are the following:

BenQ W1070 (NO warranty, since it would have to be imported from USA, and can´t be returned)
Mitsubishi HC7800 (NO warranty, since it would have to be imported from USA, and can´t be returned)
Epson 8350 (1 year warranty)
Mitsubishi HC4000 (1 year warranty)
Sanyo Z4000 (used)

Thank you very much!
post #4149 of 10393 Old 04-13-2013, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by accordex View Post

Looks to be a software related issue.

I know a lot of people rave about TotalMedia Theater but I'm not a fan of it at all. Constantly crashes and what not. I would recommend MPC-HC + madVR codec and they play 1080p O/U mkv files fine.

Have you tried looking into that? It gives the best image quality. Please go here to set it up. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1357375/advanced-mpc-hc-setup-guide

1) Open O/U mkv file in MPC-HC
2) Change projector 3D mode to 'Top to Bottom' in Settings option
3) Activate your 3D DLP glasses
4) Should now show in 3D

O/U MKV files can only be played at 1080p @ 24hz

SBS and Full SBS MKV files can only be played at 1080i @ 60hz and below
post #4150 of 10393 Old 04-13-2013, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I'm a bit confused on the lens shift on the 1070. Does the shift go up and not down?
I'll be about 11 ft. From a 106" screen. Only way for mine to work will be shelf mounted. I can raise my screen not lower so I can get pj about a foot into the screen from the bottom of the screen. Would this work and what is my margin for error?
Thanks!
post #4151 of 10393 Old 04-13-2013, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan33 View Post

I'm a bit confused on the lens shift on the 1070. Does the shift go up and not down?
I'll be about 11 ft. From a 106" screen. Only way for mine to work will be shelf mounted. I can raise my screen not lower so I can get pj about a foot into the screen from the bottom of the screen. Would this work and what is my margin for error?
Thanks!
You won't be able to shelf mount, it's more like lens adjustment. Very little shifting up and down.
post #4152 of 10393 Old 04-13-2013, 07:36 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Hey guys I was wondering if those of you with around 300 to 500 hours on there bulb have you noticed it dimmer in 3d since it was new.
post #4153 of 10393 Old 04-13-2013, 08:25 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamd View Post

My w1070 gives a very clean picture , I've have never seen any noise even with the sharpness way up. Maybe I don't notice because my screen is only 92 inches big. I'm very fussy too and do notice some things but noise has never been one of them.

Btw. What movie formats are you watching because maybe it dies not show on avi and mpg type files, and only blu rays.

*UPDATE: The noise does show up in console games, just its not as noticeable as in blu rays. However i have found that turning off Brilliant Colour reduces the noise down to much more acceptable levels. Its still there, but not asdistracting as before. At the end of the day the W1070 with BC turned off, is my best all round projector, i use it more than my HD33 and my Sony HW50es.
post #4154 of 10393 Old 04-13-2013, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:

Here's my nd filter setup, it's a 72mm to 67mm adapter, I had to sand it a little to get it to fit perfect then I used a little clear silicon. It looks like it came from factory with it. Now I'm just waiting for my Nd2 and nd4 to show in mail. With my 92 inch 1.3 gain screen in a light controlled room it's way to bright but great for 3d. Http://www.avsforum.com/content/type/61/id/189092/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

Adamd - - thanks very much for your pictures of the ND2 lens setup. After reading and seeing your pics - - I went to a 67MM adapter instead of the 62MM adapter I previously purchased.

I also purchased a "metal" adapter ring to use with my metal/glass ND2 filter (see pics below).

Here's what I've noticed with the ND2 filter -- and comments are welcome and appreciated!

1. Setup - - it literally "screws" in (no threads) to the projector itself. It's a snug fit - - and you really have to pull it off to remove the lens & adapter from the projector. It won't be bumped - - but even if it was, it wouldn't fall off. I bought some Silicone clear adhesive but I really won't need it. I could file it down to make it a perfect fit but it doesn't affect the picture (see pictures - protruding a little bit from the top.) Also - - as much as I like the big screen effect for "3D" - - I can't handle the noise factor - - the fan is way too loud. I'll use my 65" Samsung LCD/LED for 3D. So - - the filter will permanently stay on for 2D movies, sports, etc.

2. Much better blacks. For the first time - - I can see "shadow detail" on suits, for example (faded pin stripes).

3. Colors are much more vibrant - - greater hues, saturation. A great test is to watch Piers Morgan on CNN. In looking at his "set" in detail - - the blues and reds really show up beautifully - - and the "blacks" show depth & detail. Before - - they were more washed out with the brightness of the picture. I have a 1.3 cheapie FAVI electric, 100" 16 X 9 screen - 1.3 gain and I guess I really didn't understand how bright the picture was and what I was missing (this is my first projector). Heck, if I would have known that this BenQ would be so great - - I'd have sprung for a $1K screen (EluneVision - 4K material). That can wait three or four years until a 4K BenQ is available.

4. I changed the Gamma from 2.4 to 2.0. The PQ looks much better this way.

All in all - - a fantastic enhancement to my HT setup and I'm seeing detail and colors I did not see before. Thanks to all the contributors on this forum for all their advice and recommendations for using an ND2 filter with this projector!

hagsi likes this.

Home Theater Setup
Samsung UN65ES8000 LCD/LED
BenQ W1080ST Projector
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp)
Wyred4Sound MMC-7 Channel Amplifier, 221wpc
OPPO 103, Directv GENIE
Darbee Darblet
ALL Paradigm - 7.1 - Studio 60's, V.2 (FL/FR)
CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS)
MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub
post #4155 of 10393 Old 04-13-2013, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member

I have a 92 inch 1.2 gain screen and I have a nd2 and a nd4 coming, I will post how she goes.
post #4156 of 10393 Old 04-13-2013, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 168
That sounds appealing to me actually, having better blacks for 50 bucks, might do the same thing, as I'll be running a 100" Elite 1.1 gain screen soon. I returned my Elite AT screen due to moire, and back on my wall, the text isn't as sharp but the whites are brighter and cleaner. I'll figure out a better way to run my front home theater speakers, probably just beneath the screen will be fine. Or perhaps above, so I can reclaim some floor real estate. I love DIY tweaks!
post #4157 of 10393 Old 04-13-2013, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post

Adamd - - thanks very much for your pictures of the ND2 lens setup. After reading and seeing your pics - - I went to a 67MM adapter instead of the 62MM adapter I previously purchased.

I also purchased a "metal" adapter ring to use with my metal/glass ND2 filter (see pics below).

Here's what I've noticed with the ND2 filter -- and comments are welcome and appreciated!

1. Setup - - it literally "screws" in (no threads) to the projector itself. It's a snug fit - - and you really have to pull it off to remove the lens & adapter from the projector. It won't be bumped - - but even if it was, it wouldn't fall off. I bought some Silicone clear adhesive but I really won't need it. I could file it down to make it a perfect fit but it doesn't affect the picture (see pictures - protruding a little bit from the top.) Also - - as much as I like the big screen effect for "3D" - - I can't handle the noise factor - - the fan is way too loud. I'll use my 65" Samsung LCD/LED for 3D. So - - the filter will permanently stay on for 2D movies, sports, etc.

2. Much better blacks. For the first time - - I can see "shadow detail" on suits, for example (faded pin stripes).

3. Colors are much more vibrant - - greater hues, saturation. A great test is to watch Piers Morgan on CNN. In looking at his "set" in detail - - the blues and reds really show up beautifully - - and the "blacks" show depth & detail. Before - - they were more washed out with the brightness of the picture. I have a 1.3 cheapie FAVI electric, 100" 16 X 9 screen - 1.3 gain and I guess I really didn't understand how bright the picture was and what I was missing (this is my first projector). Heck, if I would have known that this BenQ would be so great - - I'd have sprung for a $1K screen (EluneVision - 4K material). That can wait three or four years until a 4K BenQ is available.

4. I changed the Gamma from 2.4 to 2.0. The PQ looks much better this way.

All in all - - a fantastic enhancement to my HT setup and I'm seeing detail and colors I did not see before. Thanks to all the contributors on this forum for all their advice and recommendations for using an ND2 filter with this projector!

Rico, it does make a big improvement for the little money involved, glad that I bought the ND2 for my set it's like day and night difference, to me anyways.

Ralph
post #4158 of 10393 Old 04-13-2013, 02:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post

Amazing improvement isn't it. An interesting thought is that a 140" diagonal screen would give you the same brightness and picture quality, just a whole lot bigger.
With your screen size, if it is a true 1.3 gain I would spend another $50 to try out an ND4 filter.

Thanks - - I have a variable ND2 to ND400 - - and the "Minimum" setting works great!

I'm absolutely amazed and pleased - - that a BenQ projector that costs this little (relatively) combined with a Darbee Darblet and an ND2 filter can provide this type of picture.

Friggin amazin!!! smile.gif

Home Theater Setup
BenQ W1080ST Projector
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp)
OPPO 103, Directv GENIE
Darbee Darblet
CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS)
post #4159 of 10393 Old 04-13-2013, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapper View Post

Rico, it does make a big improvement for the little money involved, glad that I bought the ND2 for my set it's like day and night difference, to me anyways.

I couldn't agree more - - and until you see it with your own eyes - - you don't know what you're missing!

Home Theater Setup
BenQ W1080ST Projector
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp)
OPPO 103, Directv GENIE
Darbee Darblet
CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS)
post #4160 of 10393 Old 04-13-2013, 05:24 PM

Liked: 32
For the more price sensitive people here this is a more cost effective solution for those interested in the adapter ring and N2 filter approach:

67 to 72mm adapter ring US$1.42 free shipping:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/67mm-72mm-67-72-mm-67-to-72-Step-Up-Filter-Ring-Adapter-/280637732447?pt=US_Filter_Rings_Holders&hash=item41574ff65f

72mm N2 glass filter US$3.94 free shipping:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/72mm-72-mm-ND-2-ND2-Neutral-Density-plexiglass-Filter-/280637720300?pt=Camera_Filters&hash=item41574fc6ec

Total: US$5.36 with free shipping!!!

For a 72mm N4 filter around $6 shipped:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CW-72mm-ND4-Filter-Neutral-Density-for-DSLR-Lens-AU-030715-/180951990554?pt=AU_Filters&hash=item2a2194411a

Alternately, for those wanting a deeper black or to experiment with this concept, a 72mm N2 to N400 glass filter can be had for around $13 shipped:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Slim-72mm-Variable-Fader-ND-Neutral-Density-Filter-Adjustable-ND2-ND32-to-ND400-/181008016466?pt=AU_Filters&hash=item2a24eb2452
hagsi likes this.
post #4161 of 10393 Old 04-13-2013, 07:55 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Finally about the noise I returned it and I get a new one from the amazon without the disturbing noise. One question. Because of my setup I have it to be straight to me screen with keystone of 6. Do you thing is gonna be affect me the 3 d image? I try it to put on the ceiling with one stupid videosonic mount from amazon but is not stable. So I put it in one rack on the wall.
post #4162 of 10393 Old 04-13-2013, 08:07 PM

Liked: 11
Hello all. I got my W1070 a couple weeks ago from Newegg and absolutely love it! This is my first PJ and first theater room. It is an awesome experience thus far. I haven't purchased the 3D glasses yet but the 2D content from FIOS, Xbox and Bluray have been nothing but amazing! Watching the Spartacus Finale last night on 120" was EPIC. I just started building my own DIY 118' screen using Sintra and Silverfire paint(build thread is over in the DIY section). Was originally shooting for 120" but the stinking wall isn't straight so had to go the frame method instead of just mounting the Sintra directly to the wall. I am still working on the room too. Need to paint the wall blue where the screen is going, just waiting till its mounted. I am also getting a new speaker setup since the Sony's I have now are old and crappy. Will also eventually mount the fronts to the wall. It will suffice for now.

Figured I would share a few pics of my setup. Got the Peerless mount for my birthday last year and it is one of the most well built pieces of hardware I have ever dealt with. Totally worth the $$ if you are considering it

Benq W1070...this thing is awesome!
Projector mounted and ready to go!
Front wall with temp speaker placement
Rear Wall

This shot was handheld so its a little blurry. Will post better shots once my screen is done
First test shot of PJ in use
post #4163 of 10393 Old 04-13-2013, 08:31 PM

Quote:

Hey guys I was wondering if those of you with around 300 to 500 hours on there bulb have you noticed it dimmer in 3d since it was new.

Just to be sure, I went back and reviewed the first 3D movie we watched on day two of ownership. At 383 hours on the lamp timer (in almost exactly one month), I do not detect any appreciable difference. The brightness/color/depth seemed just as good/enjoyable now as the first time.

What's your lamp timer reading? Over what period of time?

post #4164 of 10393 Old 04-13-2013, 09:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeroJ View Post

Just to be sure, I went back and reviewed the first 3D movie we watched on day two of ownership. At 383 hours on the lamp timer (in almost exactly one month), I do not detect any appreciable difference. The brightness/color/depth seemed just as good/enjoyable now as the first time.

What's your lamp timer reading? Over what period of time?

I've only put on 38 hours over two weeks and most of that was while setting it up and testing, I only use mine for movies, gaming and some hocky games so I do not put alot of hours on it. My last projector after almost two years I only put on maybe 400. It's good to know I won't see a noticeable drop in brightness before I upgrade. I mostly watch my vt50 in living room area.
post #4165 of 10393 Old 04-13-2013, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tza88 View Post

Hello all. I got my W1070 a couple weeks ago from Newegg and absolutely love it! This is my first PJ and first theater room. It is an awesome experience thus far. I haven't purchased the 3D glasses yet but the 2D content from FIOS, Xbox and Bluray have been nothing but amazing! Watching the Spartacus Finale last night on 120" was EPIC. I just started building my own DIY 118' screen using Sintra and Silverfire paint(build thread is over in the DIY section). Was originally shooting for 120" but the stinking wall isn't straight so had to go the frame method instead of just mounting the Sintra directly to the wall. I am still working on the room too. Need to paint the wall blue where the screen is going, just waiting till its mounted. I am also getting a new speaker setup since the Sony's I have now are old and crappy. Will also eventually mount the fronts to the wall. It will suffice for now.

Figured I would share a few pics of my setup. Got the Peerless mount for my birthday last year and it is one of the most well built pieces of hardware I have ever dealt with. Totally worth the $$ if you are considering it

Benq W1070...this thing is awesome!
Projector mounted and ready to go!
Front wall with temp speaker placement
Rear Wall

This shot was handheld so its a little blurry. Will post better shots once my screen is done
First test shot of PJ in use

Really a nice set up, congrats.

Ralph
post #4166 of 10393 Old 04-13-2013, 10:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Nice home theater, very fun looking room
post #4167 of 10393 Old 04-14-2013, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZReddog View Post

For the more price sensitive people here this is a more cost effective solution for those interested in the adapter ring and N2 filter approach:

67 to 72mm adapter ring US$1.42 free shipping:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/67mm-72mm-67-72-mm-67-to-72-Step-Up-Filter-Ring-Adapter-/280637732447?pt=US_Filter_Rings_Holders&hash=item41574ff65f

72mm N2 glass filter US$3.94 free shipping:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/72mm-72-mm-ND-2-ND2-Neutral-Density-plexiglass-Filter-/280637720300?pt=Camera_Filters&hash=item41574fc6ec

Total: US$5.36 with free shipping!!!

For a 72mm N4 filter around $6 shipped:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CW-72mm-ND4-Filter-Neutral-Density-for-DSLR-Lens-AU-030715-/180951990554?pt=AU_Filters&hash=item2a2194411a

Alternately, for those wanting a deeper black or to experiment with this concept, a 72mm N2 to N400 glass filter can be had for around $13 shipped:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Slim-72mm-Variable-Fader-ND-Neutral-Density-Filter-Adjustable-ND2-ND32-to-ND400-/181008016466?pt=AU_Filters&hash=item2a24eb2452

What exactly do these filters do to the pic? Seems like they cut down the light a pretty good bit. Are these compatible with the 1080st?
post #4168 of 10393 Old 04-14-2013, 07:48 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 19
One question. Because of my setup I have it to be straight to me screen with keystone of 6. Do you thing is gonna be affect me the 3 d image? I try it to put on the ceiling with one stupid videosonic mount from amazon but is not stable. So I put it in one rack on the wall. How affect the keystone to the image?
post #4169 of 10393 Old 04-14-2013, 08:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan33 View Post

What exactly do these filters do to the pic? Seems like they cut down the light a pretty good bit. Are these compatible with the 1080st?

Tigerfan33 (Is that the Detroit Tigers or LSU Tigers? Or some other Tiger?) smile.gif

Please see my write up a couple messages earlier. I have the W1080ST and the "Pics" are of my setup with the ND2 lens. Both the W1070 and the W1080ST share the same manual.

After reading about the ND2 filters on this thread and others - - I decided to take a chance and see if it would improve my PQ (especially black levels). I also read other AVS Forum debates on the topic - - specifically the cutting down of light and how it affects your projector. Lots of internal debate on the merits of using an ND2 filter.

As I said, I decided to see if this could help with my PJ - - and bought a 72mm FOTGA Slim Fader Variable ND Filter Adjustable ND2 to ND4 from Ebay for $17.29. I originally bought a 62mm to 72mm lens adapter ring (plastic) for $2.00 - - but after reading Adamd's post - - I moved up to a 67mm adapter - - and spent $12.00 at my local "Dave's Camera" shop to get a metal adapter ring - - metal to metal. I also think that glass is best for the lens - IMHO.

I bumped my brightness to 48 and gamma down to 2.0. Otherwise - - no other changes. SmartEco.

Net-net - - I couldn't be happier. Much better blacks with shadow detail. Better color saturation - - intense and vivid colors with the ND2 filter. Since the W1080ST is a short throw projector - - I think it even works better than on a W1070 - - due to the short throw rate to the screen. In my case - - it's 66" from a 100" Diagonal screen, 1.3 gain (16 X 9). Also less eye fatigue - - and plenty of light.

Home Theater Setup
BenQ W1080ST Projector
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp)
OPPO 103, Directv GENIE
Darbee Darblet
CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS)
post #4170 of 10393 Old 04-14-2013, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post

Tigerfan33 (Is that the Detroit Tigers or LSU Tigers? Or some other Tiger?) smile.gif

Please see my write up a couple messages earlier. I have the W1080ST and the "Pics" are of my setup with the ND2 lens. Both the W1070 and the W1080ST share the same manual.

After reading about the ND2 filters on this thread and others - - I decided to take a chance and see if it would improve my PQ (especially black levels). I also read other AVS Forum debates on the topic - - specifically the cutting down of light and how it affects your projector. Lots of internal debate on the merits of using an ND2 filter.

As I said, I decided to see if this could help with my PJ - - and bought a 72mm FOTGA Slim Fader Variable ND Filter Adjustable ND2 to ND4 from Ebay for $17.29. I originally bought a 62mm to 72mm lens adapter ring (plastic) for $2.00 - - but after reading Adamd's post - - I moved up to a 67mm adapter - - and spent $12.00 at my local "Dave's Camera" shop to get a metal adapter ring - - metal to metal. I also think that glass is best for the lens - IMHO.

I bumped my brightness to 48 and gamma down to 2.0. Otherwise - - no other changes. SmartEco.

Net-net - - I couldn't be happier. Much better blacks with shadow detail. Better color saturation - - intense and vivid colors with the ND2 filter. Since the W1080ST is a short throw projector - - I think it even works better than on a W1070 - - due to the short throw rate to the screen. In my case - - it's 66" from a 100" Diagonal screen, 1.3 gain (16 X 9). Also less eye fatigue - - and plenty of light.

Have you tried a variable nd filter? I have a nd2 and a nd4 coming but it would be nice be able to fine tune between a 2 and a 4.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread