BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$ - Page 141 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4201 of 10439 Old 04-15-2013, 06:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 83
RE: Board Etiquette

In the immortal words of Sergeant Hulka in the movie "Stripes" - - "Lighten up Francis!"

OK - - maybe some folks are new to the thread. And yes, they should try to review the existing content or use the "Search" function to look for specific answers.

But the time it takes to make a negative comment is far greater than just trying to help someone and point them to the page or "answers" to their question.

Also - - some questions just don't get answered - - for whatever reason. But most of the folks on these forums are generally helpful and tolerant. So, keep that in mind next time someone posts a "stupid" or "lazy" question. IMHO.
RLBURNSIDE likes this.

Home Theater Setup
Samsung UN65ES8000 LCD/LED
BenQ W1080ST Projector
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp)
Wyred4Sound MMC-7 Channel Amplifier, 221wpc
OPPO 103, Directv GENIE
Darbee Darblet
ALL Paradigm - 7.1 - Studio 60's, V.2 (FL/FR)
CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS)
MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4202 of 10439 Old 04-15-2013, 06:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post

Don't know much about this mount but the Mustang low price mount and the Pearless mouth have gotten great reviews. The Mustang is less expensive and the Pearless has been called the best and is only a few dollars more than the link above. I have the Mustang which I got from Amazon and it works fine.

It sounds like you need a "flush" mount - - while a Peerless is a fabulous product (and I'm not familiar with the Mustang - - but it gets great reviews) - - you really need to define the distance from your ceiling to the middle of you BenQ lens to determine what mount you need.

In my case - - I needed a short distance from my low ceiling - - and I ended up using a Chief Mount RSAUW Mini Universal RPA Projector Mount (white - to match my ceiling) - - which provided a five inch distance from the ceiling to the middle of my lens. It has worked out perfectly since I have some leeway with the mount - - pitch, roll & yaw wise. (Up down (vertical), left to right horizontal adjustment (up/down) & side to side.)

IMHO - - this is what you really need to determine before you decide on any mount - - and then calculate from there.

Home Theater Setup
BenQ W1080ST Projector
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp)
OPPO 103, Directv GENIE
Darbee Darblet
CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS)
post #4203 of 10439 Old 04-15-2013, 07:12 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post

I and others have updated the firmware via USB. Use these instructions and links below;

And so I did it biggrin.gif
Those were the longest 3 minutes of my life (hoping the PC won't shut down suddenly)

Now I'm pretty proud to be able to show the middle finger to Benq PL (they wanted to charge $75 for upgrade) cool.gif

The process itself was much easier than rooting some of Android phones.

First impressions - the fan runs smoother and more steadily...

After reading the Acer H6510 review here I'm now double happy.
http://www.audiovideohd.fr/tests/361-Acer-H6510BD-0.html
post #4204 of 10439 Old 04-15-2013, 07:23 AM

Liked: 32
Just to let people know that I received a 'private' rude and abusive message from tigerfan33. Thought he would be sneaky by doing it this way ... Wrong!!

Please be upfront and a man. Read and research before asking is all I was pointing out. Lazy is not good. Nor is abuse.mad.gif
post #4205 of 10439 Old 04-15-2013, 08:41 AM

Liked: 10
Can I connect a digital coaxial cable on the W1070 ?

Like this : http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10236&cs_id=1023603&p_id=2681&seq=1&format=2#description

I want to connect my soundbar to it !

Thanks
post #4206 of 10439 Old 04-15-2013, 08:46 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post

It sounds like you need a "flush" mount - - while a Peerless is a fabulous product (and I'm not familiar with the Mustang - - but it gets great reviews) - - you really need to define the distance from your ceiling to the middle of you BenQ lens to determine what mount you need.

In my case - - I needed a short distance from my low ceiling - - and I ended up using a Chief Mount RSAUW Mini Universal RPA Projector Mount (white - to

match my ceiling) - - which provided a five inch distance from the ceiling to the middle of my lens. It has worked out perfectly since I have some leeway with the mount - - pitch, roll & yaw wise. (Up down (vertical), left to right horizontal adjustment (up/down) & side to side.)

IMHO - - this is what you really need to determine before you decide on any mount - - and then calculate from there.

So the flush mount is the same low profile mount? The mustang is flush mount?
post #4207 of 10439 Old 04-15-2013, 08:57 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by vagos1103gr1 View Post

Mustang is not what I would call flush. I think the distance from the ceiling to the projector, not the center of the lens, but the bottom of the projector would be 6 or 7". On the Peerless it is about 3".

Use the BenQ calculator on their site and determine how far from the ceiling works best for you. Factor in how low from the ceiling or high up from the floor you want your screen to be as well.

post #4208 of 10439 Old 04-15-2013, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Sure - - you could call a "flush mount" a "low profile mount." The net-net is that you really need to determine the right distance from your ceiling to the center of your PJ's lens. Then, calculate from there. (And most mounts will provide that info.)

Example - - see attached Peerless .pdf from their website. For this mount - - the minimum from ceiling to the top of your projector is 3.81 inches. That's without any extender column - - just securing to your ceiling. Then, add the distance to the middle of your lens and that will be the drop distance from your ceiling to your lens.

Now - - with the BenQ projector - - it's a pretty straight shot to your screen (top of screen) for the image. In my case, I needed to be as flush with the ceiling as I could due to my low ceiling to begin with and my smaller room - - to properly fill out a 100" Diagonal 16 X 9 screen without any keystoning.

I was looking at the Peerless mount before due to it's wonderful design and ease of access to the projector. But the "drop" distance was a little too great for my needs (from the ceiling to the middle of the projector lens). (The weight of the Peerless is fine and shouldn't pose a problem - IMHO.)

I was able to secure my projector and mount using regular drywall anchors (not secured to a "stud" since the PJ and mount total weight is only 12 pounds).

For other projectors - - like Panasonic or JVC - - they can weigh 20 to 30 pounds! Add the weight of the mount and you really need to anchor that to a stud in your ceiling!

Hope this helps.

Peerless Mount_LIT0371-1-1.PDF 459k .PDF file
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Peerless Mount_LIT0371-1-1.PDF (459.0 KB, 13 views)

Home Theater Setup
BenQ W1080ST Projector
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp)
OPPO 103, Directv GENIE
Darbee Darblet
CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS)
post #4209 of 10439 Old 04-15-2013, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 44
blee0120,

I live just across the border from you (Crete/Steger, IL) and was wondering if you auditioned the 1070 at a store in the area? I have a Mits HC3800 and would like to see if a change would be worthwhile.

Thanks.
post #4210 of 10439 Old 04-15-2013, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

OZReddog,

I was going to say something before, but you was extremely rude. This is not only your thread. Being disrespectful to someone asking a simple question is just rude. You mentioned how you are tired of people asking the same question over and over. What gives you the right to be upset at that? I for one will not read over hundreds of post when there are other members who are willing to help. Tigerfan33 should be upset. It was embarrassing how you treated him.

Thanks blee.
I'm ready to move on. I apologize to the rest of the posters here.
regalman82 likes this.
post #4211 of 10439 Old 04-15-2013, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Murphy View Post

blee0120,

I live just across the border from you (Crete/Steger, IL) and was wondering if you auditioned the 1070 at a store in the area? I have a Mits HC3800 and would like to see if a change would be worthwhile.

Thanks.
No, I didn't. I actually had the W7000 right before the W7000. I knew they were very similar. I had the JVC RS55 before the W7000. I liked the W7000 better. Then, I sold the W7000 and got a jvc rs48. I missed the W7000 but it wouldnt work in my new setup with my bigger screen. So, sold the rs48 and got the W1070. I miss the jvc for some 2d blu rays but I prefer the W1070 for everything else. I'm going to keep it until an affordable 4k jvc or Sony is ready. It won't be this year because the new hdmi standards are not finalized yet. If you want to you can make a drive to my place in merrillville, in if its not to far.
post #4212 of 10439 Old 04-15-2013, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan33 View Post

Thanks blee.
I'm ready to move on. I apologize to the rest of the posters here.
no problem
post #4213 of 10439 Old 04-15-2013, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman_Mike View Post

Mustang is not what I would call flush. I think the distance from the ceiling to the projector, not the center of the lens, but the bottom of the projector would be 6 or 7". On the Peerless it is about 3".

Use the BenQ calculator on their site and determine how far from the ceiling works best for you. Factor in how low from the ceiling or high up from the floor you want your screen to be as well.

Yes you have right I need 6'' from the ceiling. The mustang mount is ok ?
post #4214 of 10439 Old 04-15-2013, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by geezerpl View Post

And so I did it biggrin.gif
Those were the longest 3 minutes of my life (hoping the PC won't shut down suddenly)

Now I'm pretty proud to be able to show the middle finger to Benq PL (they wanted to charge $75 for upgrade) cool.gif

The process itself was much easier than rooting some of Android phones.

First impressions - the fan runs smoother and more steadily...

After reading the Acer H6510 review here I'm now double happy.
http://www.audiovideohd.fr/tests/361-Acer-H6510BD-0.html

Really glad that the upgrade worked for you. I always worry during the upgrade process but I have been lucky so far. This was one was very easy and as you say much less difficult that rooting some Android phones or doing other updates.
post #4215 of 10439 Old 04-15-2013, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yes you have right I need 6'' from the ceiling. The mustang mount is ok ?

I don't have it, but I hear good things about it. Slide adjustment is something that I don't see in any other mounts really and it is a great feature to have in case you are slightly off in centering the lens with the center of your screen.

If you need the projector to be 6 or 7 inches from the ceiling then the Mustang is definitely a mount that I would consider.

Just be aware that it doesn't come with screws to mount it to the ceiling like some other mounts, so you will need to get those yourself.

post #4216 of 10439 Old 04-15-2013, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 72
I have been struggling with the idea of updating my firmware because I do watch during the day and at night and so maybe having those settings available would be a plus after calibrating, I dont know, Im worried about possibly voiding the warranty, I wonder if they keep logs of serial numbers and what firmware they had and see a cross log if that serial number has been updated to a newer firmware or not. ^^;;

As for the side argument going on in this thread, well one stop its not the place for it and two for those who are tired of seeing frequently the same questions asked well you know what to do smile.gif Create a BenQ w1070 FAQ thread that the first post by one forum member and the second post by a different forum member is always updated and maintained thus eliminating the issue and having a nice point to reference back to. I know I wouldnt complain if someone decided to take on that task. smile.gif

Projector: BenQ w1070 v1.06 + Painted N9 Grey 120" Screen
AVR: Onkyo TX-NR636 ATMOS + Darbee
Bluray Player: Panasonic DMP-BDT 321
Speakers: Polk Audio + ButtKicker LFE
Arrangement: 5.2.2
post #4217 of 10439 Old 04-15-2013, 11:17 AM

Liked: 13
My room is rather complicated, and so have had to go with this. After doing some measuring I think it can hold it just about right www.amazon.co.uk/Invision®-Ultra-Modern-Mounted-Glass/dp/B006G0UF8A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366046211&sr=8-1&keywords=Projector+sHelf

post #4218 of 10439 Old 04-15-2013, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Chaves View Post

I have been struggling with the idea of updating my firmware because I do watch during the day and at night and so maybe having those settings available would be a plus after calibrating, I dont know, Im worried about possibly voiding the warranty, I wonder if they keep logs of serial numbers and what firmware they had and see a cross log if that serial number has been updated to a newer firmware or not. ^^;;

As for the side argument going on in this thread, well one stop its not the place for it and two for those who are tired of seeing frequently the same questions asked well you know what to do smile.gif Create a BenQ w1070 FAQ thread that the first post by one forum member and the second post by a different forum member is always updated and maintained thus eliminating the issue and having a nice point to reference back to. I know I wouldnt complain if someone decided to take on that task. smile.gif

Not huge advantage to be gained by having access to those day and night settings. Definitely not worth voiding the warranty for, if that is your main reason for updating.

First, you would still need the equipment to do a calibration, as those ISF settings aren't right out of the box.

Second, if you have the equipment, there is nothing that would prevent you from doing your own Day/Night cal using User1 and User2, for instance, so, again, not a huge deal.

Third, and a video purist would argue most important (not saying I am or am not, just throwing it out there), there is no such thing as a day/ night cal. There is no such thing as reference with the lights on, so... yeah.

I will probably update my firmware though, just because I like to have the latest, and I have never been scared to tinker with the software of my devices.

post #4219 of 10439 Old 04-15-2013, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member

To any of those that have tried the ND filters, have any of you measured your peak White level with and without the filter using a meter? I'm all for having better blacks, and you guys have piqued my curiosity to the point that I would seriously consider a filter, but I don't want to sacrifice too much brightness in the service of getting better blacks.

If no one has measured with a meter, does it look noticeably dimmer with the filter, or does it affect the blacks more than the whites perceivably?

post #4220 of 10439 Old 04-15-2013, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

To any of those that have tried the ND filters, have any of you measured your peak White level with and without the filter using a meter? I'm all for having better blacks, and you guys have piqued my curiosity to the point that I would seriously consider a filter, but I don't want to sacrifice too much brightness in the service of getting better blacks.

If no one has measured with a meter, does it look noticeably dimmer with the filter, or does it affect the blacks more than the whites perceivably?

I can only speak for myself and I have the W1080ST - - but this is essentially the same projector except for the shorter throw distance.

No peak white level has been metered on my setup but it's plenty bright enough. In fact, I dialed up a little bit from ND2 to around ND3 or 4.

I would get a little eye fatigue from the brightness without the ND2 filter on my 1.3 gain FAVI screen. Big difference for me is better blacks, increased shadow detail and much more vivid, intense colors. That was a total surprise. Also - - any "moire" or SDE is mitigated by the ND2 filter.

It really reminds me of my old Samsung DLP rear projection TV but only brighter. And..a 100 inch screen!

You can really tell the difference with movies like Harry Potter, Sherlock Holmes "A Game of Shadows" and TV series like "Game of Thrones" - - which has a lot of dark, candlelit scenes which shows much more detail with the ND2 lens than without it.

It's not an expensive proposition - - I spent $30 on a 72mm glass ND2 to ND400 variable lens (metal) with a 67mm to 72mm metal ring adapter. Other folks have spent even less - - under $10. if you didn't like it - - you could always sell it to a member on this forum!

Home Theater Setup
BenQ W1080ST Projector
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp)
OPPO 103, Directv GENIE
Darbee Darblet
CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS)
post #4221 of 10439 Old 04-15-2013, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZReddog View Post

Just to let people know that I received a 'private' rude and abusive message from tigerfan33. Thought he would be sneaky by doing it this way ... Wrong!!

Please be upfront and a man. Read and research before asking is all I was pointing out. Lazy is not good. Nor is abuse.mad.gif

Oz, I am not speaking for every one else but have some patience on people, you jump on me because I asked if any one had problem with the Benq and a Onkyo 515 receiver as far as the handshake issue by stating that I am getting out of the subject. ( BenQ thread) well that question I asked solved my problem, it was the Onkyo receiver.

Ralph
post #4222 of 10439 Old 04-15-2013, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post

With an ND2 filter the light output of any particular element of any particular scene will be cut in half.
No, you don't recognize it as half as bright and you don't see blacks as being twice as good.
Like sound I think. An increase from 1 watt to 2 watt is noticable but certainly not double. To double perceived output you would need to crank it to 10 watts.
Someone more knowlegable than I can pipe up, but I think vision is logarithmic just like sound.
(For those of you with old school power metered vintage electonics it is always surprising to see how little wattage it takes to make a lot of sound.)

The only way you can truly know if the effect is worth it or not is to spend the $40 for a decent filter and try it yourself. Small price to pay really.
I would say though that given my own experience, and pretty much everyone else on this thread who have tried it, the filter is an improvement.
Depends of course on the size of your screen, its reflective properties, ambient light, 2D/3D etc.
One thing to keep in mind, is that another option to using a neutral density filter is to go with a much larger screen. If I had the space in my room that is the way I would go because I'm not concerned about 3D.
Rather than filter it, use it to light up a larger area. I imagine the effect on image quality would be very similar.

Let us know how it goes.

Quote:

I can only speak for myself and I have the W1080ST - - but this is essentially the same projector except for the shorter throw distance.

No peak white level has been metered on my setup but it's plenty bright enough. In fact, I dialed up a little bit from ND2 to around ND3 or 4.

I would get a little eye fatigue from the brightness without the ND2 filter on my 1.3 gain FAVI screen. Big difference for me is better blacks, increased shadow detail and much more vivid, intense colors. That was a total surprise. Also - - any "moire" or SDE is mitigated by the ND2 filter.

It really reminds me of my old Samsung DLP rear projection TV but only brighter. And..a 100 inch screen!

You can really tell the difference with movies like Harry Potter, Sherlock Holmes "A Game of Shadows" and TV series like "Game of Thrones" - - which has a lot of dark, candlelit scenes which shows much more detail with the ND2 lens than without it.

It's not an expensive proposition - - I spent $30 on a 72mm glass ND2 to ND400 variable lens (metal) with a 67mm to 72mm metal ring adapter. Other folks have spent even less - - under $10. if you didn't like it - - you could always sell it to a member on this forum!

Thanks for the responses. Both of you.

Price of the filter was never a deterrent. The filter doesn't cost much, relatively speaking. My only concern was how many ftL's I'd be sacrificing, as I haven't found the projector to be overly bright on my 110" HP screen. I wanted to do something about improving the black levels though, obviously. Just have to find the proper trade off point as you can't have it all.

Have to consider it some more. Thanks again for the info.

post #4223 of 10439 Old 04-15-2013, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks for the responses. Both of you.

Price of the filter was never a deterrent. The filter doesn't cost much, relatively speaking. My only concern was how many ftL's I'd be sacrificing, as I haven't found the projector to be overly bright on my 110" HP screen. I wanted to do something about improving the black levels though, obviously. Just have to find the proper trade off point as you can't have it all.

Have to consider it some more. Thanks again for the info.

Ah - understood. I know all projector environments are not equal. Since I'm only 66 inches from my 100" / 1.3 gain screen - - it stands to reason that the image will be brighter - - hence the loss of ftl's will not be affected as much compared to someone whose projector is farther back.

Maybe the folks with the ND2 filter can chime in with three things - - 1) Distance from Projector to screen, 2) Size of screen, 3) Type & make/model of screen. That would provide a better reference point to compare.

Home Theater Setup
BenQ W1080ST Projector
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp)
OPPO 103, Directv GENIE
Darbee Darblet
CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS)
post #4224 of 10439 Old 04-15-2013, 01:48 PM
nnd

Any recommendations for a ceiling mount which will be 9-12 inches from the ceiling?
post #4225 of 10439 Old 04-15-2013, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnd View Post

Any recommendations for a ceiling mount which will be 9-12 inches from the ceiling?

You might want to look into the Peerless mount and then getting an extender pole and ceiling plate.

Do a search on Amazon. Think the extender is like 6".

post #4226 of 10439 Old 04-15-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Chaves View Post

State side no not yet, overseas yes well sorta it was released in a very limited quantity so very hard to snag but general release is very close.

This is on Netfilx, saw it a couple weeks ago and it is sick. Definitely demo material.
post #4227 of 10439 Old 04-15-2013, 02:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Ah - understood. I know all projector environments are not equal. Since I'm only 66 inches from my 100" / 1.3 gain screen - - it stands to reason that the image will be brighter - - hence the loss of ftl's will not be affected as much compared to someone whose projector is farther back.

Maybe the folks with the ND2 filter can chime in with three things - - 1) Distance from Projector to screen, 2) Size of screen, 3) Type & make/model of screen. That would provide a better reference point to compare.

Even if I was that close, not sure it would be too bright for me lol. My PJ is ceiling mounted, 9' 3' from the 110" screen BTW.

I love a bright image. Like inky blacks too. That's why OLED is so damn tantalizing. A 110" OLED would cost more than a Dr Evil ransom though.

I watch movies in total darkness. All lights out and blackout curtains closed. For normal TV watching and game playing though, I have on a light in the hallway behind the projector and another way on the other side of the living room in the foyer. They don't impact the image much as they are far enough away and off to the sides, but they do provide a bit of light so that eyestrain isn't an issue. Nor is the wife's fussing lol.

Maybe you have yours in a dedicated theater and always have no lights on, but for me, the projector doesn't seem overly bright.

I think when I measured, the peak white was at around 55ftL. Super bright for those used to watching projectors where 12- 20ftL is more the norm, but TVs are usually calibrated in the 40ftL range, so while it definitely is brighter than my plasma, it doesn't strike me as blinding by any stretch. Haven't even felt the urge to switch to Eco during movie watching.

Maybe I'm just weird lol.

post #4228 of 10439 Old 04-15-2013, 03:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Even if I was that close, not sure it would be too bright for me lol. My PJ is ceiling mounted, 9' 3' from the 110" screen BTW.

I love a bright image. Like inky blacks too. That's why OLED is so damn tantalizing. A 110" OLED would cost more than a Dr Evil ransom though.

I watch movies in total darkness. All lights out and blackout curtains closed. For normal TV watching and game playing though, I have on a light in the hallway behind the projector and another way on the other side of the living room in the foyer. They don't impact the image much as they are far enough away and off to the sides, but they do provide a bit of light so that eyestrain isn't an issue. Nor is the wife's fussing lol.

Maybe you have yours in a dedicated theater and always have no lights on, but for me, the projector doesn't seem overly bright.

I think when I measured, the peak white was at around 55ftL. Super bright for those used to watching projectors where 12- 20ftL is more the norm, but TVs are usually calibrated in the 40ftL range, so while it definitely is brighter than my plasma, it doesn't strike me as blinding by any stretch. Haven't even felt the urge to switch to Eco during movie watching.

Maybe I'm just weird lol.

Nah - not weird. You just know what you like in HT!

My projector is about four feet closer to the screen than yours - - a function of the short throw BenQ. I think it does make a difference on the brightness of the picture. And I like a bright picture, too! But it really isn't as noticeable compared to the intense colors and better blacks with the ND2 filter.

I watch in a light controlled "man cave" in my basement. But I do not always like to watch in the dark - - so my electric screen goes over my 65" Sammy LCD/LED that I can watch with some lights on.

The OLED technology sounds great but it's an arm & a leg right now. Plus the failure rate on panels is too high - - and if they don't get that fixed, the price will never come down.

That's why I think the golden age of projectors is upon us. You wait - - in three to five years, a 4K projector will be available for $2K or under. Compare that to a 110" OLED??? How would you get the panel into your house? LOL - smile.gif

Home Theater Setup
BenQ W1080ST Projector
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp)
OPPO 103, Directv GENIE
Darbee Darblet
CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS)
post #4229 of 10439 Old 04-15-2013, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Rico, My screen is about 10.6' feet away from the projector using a Carada 100" diagonally and a gain of 1.0 and of course the filter has improved the blacks and offsetting the whites just a bit.

Ralph
post #4230 of 10439 Old 04-15-2013, 03:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapper View Post

Rico, My screen is about 10.6' feet away from the projector using a Carada 100" diagonally and a gain of 1.0 and of course the filter has improved the blacks and offsetting the whites just a bit.

Thanks, Zapper. That's good to know that even at 10 feet, 6 inches away - - you still see benefits from the ND2 filter.

It's funny - - when I first heard of using the ND2 filter - - I wasn't sure. And - - when someone said it cuts the light output in half (not sure if that is true??) - - wow, that sounded like a major hit to the "whites" and brightness of the picture. But I thought I'd give it a whirl since the black levels were o.k. (so-so) and there wasn't as much shadow detail.

As I mentioned before - - the intense colors, saturation and vivid quality of the picture was really a major surprise for me with the ND2 filter. I didn't expect that - - only better blacks. It's been a game changer for me and I'm glad I spent a couple extra bucks to get a glass filter (metal) with metal adapter ring.

Oh - - one other side benefit - - not as noticeable light leakage out of the front of the projector! I'm sure it's the result of the ND2 filter.

Home Theater Setup
BenQ W1080ST Projector
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp)
OPPO 103, Directv GENIE
Darbee Darblet
CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS)
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread - W1070 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page