BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$ - Page 142 - AVS Forum
First ... 140  141  142 143  144  ... Last
Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP > BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$
Stuntman_Mike's Avatar Stuntman_Mike 03:24 PM 04-15-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post

Nah - not weird. You just know what you like in HT!

My projector is about four feet closer to the screen than yours - - a function of the short throw BenQ. I think it does make a difference on the brightness of the picture. And I like a bright picture, too! But it really isn't as noticeable compared to the intense colors and better blacks with the ND2 filter.

I watch in a light controlled "man cave" in my basement. But I do not always like to watch in the dark - - so my electric screen goes over my 65" Sammy LCD/LED that I can watch with some lights on.

The OLED technology sounds great but it's an arm & a leg right now. Plus the failure rate on panels is too high - - and if they don't get that fixed, the price will never come down.

That's why I think the golden age of projectors is upon us. You wait - - in three to five years, a 4K projector will be available for $2K or under. Compare that to a 110" OLED??? How would you get the panel into your house? LOL - smile.gif

Fair point on the getting it into the house thing lol.

I wasn't home when they delivered my HP screen and my wife gets home before me. They left it in the hallway in front of my door. It was way bigger than the door lol. She thought I'd lost my mind and said that it would not fit. Told her it would be fine. Had that been a solid TV in a box with a lot of packaging for protection, instead of a screen, that while it was in a box that was 8' long, was only a few inches wide, then it may well not have been able to get into the apartment lol.

Still have my Panny plasma in the bedroom now, but it's hard to watch it now, even with its much superior black levels. 60" is downright tiny after 110" lol. It's amazing how we can adapt, as I remember the days when I thought a 36" TV was like being at the movies, and today, I'm starting to feel like my 110" screen isn't abnormal at all, whereas I thought it was gigantic that first week or so lol.

I will definitely have a 4k projector as my next display. As soon as they have one that is under $4-5k and has as many, or more, calibrated lumens as this projector, I'm there. I don't know if we'll get to under $2k as fast as you think though, but here's hoping. I don't know what it would cost to make 4k projectors. I do know that it doesn't cost much more for manufacturers to make 4k panels out of existing technologies though, so if it's the same for front projection, then maybe it will come down that quickly.

Stuntman_Mike's Avatar Stuntman_Mike 03:27 PM 04-15-2013
Quote:

Thanks, Zapper. That's good to know that even at 10 feet, 6 inches away - - you still see benefits from the ND2 filter.

It's funny - - when I first heard of using the ND2 filter - - I wasn't sure. And - - when someone said it cuts the light output in half (not sure if that is true??) - - wow, that sounded like a major hit to the "whites" and brightness of the picture. But I thought I'd give it a whirl since the black levels were o.k. (so-so) and there wasn't as much shadow detail.

As I mentioned before - - the intense colors, saturation and vivid quality of the picture was really a major surprise for me with the ND2 filter. I didn't expect that - - only better blacks. It's been a game changer for me and I'm glad I spent a couple extra bucks to get a glass filter (metal) with metal adapter ring.

Oh - - one other side benefit - - not as noticeable light leakage out of the front of the projector! I'm sure it's the result of the ND2 filter.

Unless the filter is covering the front grills, I can't see how this would affect light leakage at all.

You ordered your filter from ebay or somewhere else?

Did you, or any other ND filter owner not see any of the same benefits from using Eco instead of SmartEco? Think it is a 33% decrease in light output.
lithoman's Avatar lithoman 03:39 PM 04-15-2013
Just got my W1070 yesterday..cant wait to read 144 pages of posts. eek.gif
Ricoflashback's Avatar Ricoflashback 03:41 PM 04-15-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman_Mike View Post

Unless the filter is covering the front grills, I can't see how this would affect light leakage at all.

You ordered your filter from ebay or somewhere else?

Did you, or any other ND filter owner not see any of the same benefits from using Eco instead of SmartEco? Think it is a 33% decrease in light output.

Instead of a bright white light on my ceiling (remember - my projector is in front of my sitting area - - a couple feet away) it's not as bright. Plus, the light coming through the projector (where the focus ring and zoom is located) is more muted - -colored (tinted) as opposed to bright white.

I already use SmartEco (not sure why they call it that - - it seems to me to be the same brightness but the fan is quieter!) and it's not the same thing - - benefit wise (ND2 versus SmartEco) - - at least for me.

I purchased the ND2 to ND400 variable filter via Ebay. It was much cheaper than a camera store. I did buy the metal adapter ring from Dave's Camera - - $12.99 - - I couldn't find it as easily on Ebay and wanted to match the metal ND2 filter.
THe_Flash's Avatar THe_Flash 04:10 PM 04-15-2013
Quote:

You might want to look into the Peerless mount and then getting an extender pole and ceiling plate.

Do a search on Amazon. Think the extender is like 6".
For what it's worth, you can pick up pretty much whatever size "extender" you need at Lowes. Granted it isn't the prettiest (Ill be covering it) but at $4.35, it's hard to go wrong and you can pick your length.

teeger's Avatar teeger 05:24 PM 04-15-2013
From eBay, I bought a couple of pairs of the cheap Chinese glasses for about $22.00 each. Folks here have said that they are the same as the Sainsonics.

Last night I watched the 40 min. Imax 3D Blu-ray called "Rescue". I watched the movie with someone who also wore the cheap Chinese glasses. From what I've read here, a lot of folks have mentioned sync issues and the fact that they sometimes want to work with the inverse signal. The weird thing is that my friend and I would both mention when the glasses lost sync - and when they picked it up again. It seemed that BOTH mine and his lost the signal and regained the sync at pretty much the same time. I figured that this loss of sync would be random . . . I didn't expect that whatever causes the loss would affect both pairs at exactly the same time. Any thoughts?

Some here have said to coat the sensor with a red permanent marker, since for someone it improved the sync. If so, did it really make a lasting difference? I hate to put an indelible marker on the glasses IF it doesn't really help (or help much). I would say that the glasses were going in and out of synch about 3 or 4 times per minute. Let's just say, I wouldn't want to watch more 3D content when there is a constant ongoing synch issue.

The glasses seem to work in that cross-talk is a non-issue . . . that is until the synch goes haywire again.

Can the 3D program content be part of the problem? I just can't believe how constant the synch loss was . . . and how the glasses would want to also keep switching to the wrong inverse 3D synch signal.

If someone knows how to truly make these cheap glasses work, please let me know.

Thanks.

Ian
Ricoflashback's Avatar Ricoflashback 07:19 PM 04-15-2013
Brightness question for you - - Foot Lamberts. Is there an optimal level for FL for a projector? The reason I ask is that I plugged in my setup at Projector Central and it came out a whopping 41 fl for my 100" Diagonal screen with a 1.3 gain and 66 inches to the screen.

No wonder my ND2 filter looks great!
tigerfan33's Avatar tigerfan33 07:37 PM 04-15-2013
Quote:

Brightness question for you - - Foot Lamberts. Is there an optimal level for FL for a projector? The reason I ask is that I plugged in my setup at Projector Central and it came out a whopping 41 fl for my 100" Diagonal screen with a 1.3 gain and 66 inches to the screen.

No wonder my ND2 filter looks great!

Videophiles like to be around 12 fl.
I'm deffenitly not in that catagory.
I like my big screen to look like a big plasma:)
Fangdragon's Avatar Fangdragon 10:30 PM 04-15-2013
Hi all,

I've been reading this thread for some time now and finally decided to buy the W1070. Had it for 2 weeks now and works wonderfully. Play some Blu-Ray, PS3, X-Box 360 and FPS on my comp with no lag. My set up is the Projector hanging from the ceiling at 8'' and 13' from my wall. I painted the wall white with light grey (SICO) found on this Forum and it's so nice. I do have an small issue;

The image projected on my wall is 6' 1/2 tall by 8' wide but the bottom corner is distorted, from the left hand side to the right hand side I have a 2 1/2 inch distortion. The bottom right corner seems to be pushed upward.

I tried re-adjusting the projector (tilt up, down, move left, right), keystone doesn't help, I even re-oriented the image as if it was on the ground, but the same corner is distorted. I set it up on a table and I still have the same problem.
I did the grid test and same issue, top few lines are fine then around half-way it starts to distort upward.

Does anyone know what the problem might be or if I might have a defective projector?
rayweil's Avatar rayweil 11:11 PM 04-15-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fangdragon View Post

The image projected on my wall is 6' 1/2 tall by 8' wide but the bottom corner is distorted, from the left hand side to the right hand side I have a 2 1/2 inch distortion. The bottom right corner seems to be pushed upward.

I tried re-adjusting the projector (tilt up, down, move left, right), keystone doesn't help, I even re-oriented the image as if it was on the ground, but the same corner is distorted. I set it up on a table and I still have the same problem.
I did the grid test and same issue, top few lines are fine then around half-way it starts to distort upward.

Does anyone know what the problem might be or if I might have a defective projector?

Don't know any answer.

But I have the same issue. ATM putting up with it. Be glad to hear other's thought on this.
macharya's Avatar macharya 06:45 AM 04-16-2013
Hello everyone, Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has been posting their experiences with this projector. I have been following this thread right from the start and was (initially) conflicted between this projector and Acer H6510BD but i am glad that i bought this projector. I got 4 True Depth 3 D glasses (works perfectly) and 1 3DTV kids glasses for my kid. i just finished my basement and had a 100inch screen (Elite screen) with the Mustang Mount to hold the projector. Completed my system Home Theater with 2 Bic America Dv64 6.5 Tower Speaker with an Onkyo Center Channel and Subwoofer(80W) and 2 Polk RC80i in ceiling speakers . Will post pictures as sson as i have time(still cleaning it up). I just have to find a way now to see how to stop the small curl at the edge of the screen.
Saw The Polar Express in 3D and have a few more (Sammys Adventures, Journey 2, Cloudy with.., Avatar) blu rays and a few HSBS files using WDTV Live.
Once more Thanks for everyone posting their findings which helped make my decisions and setup easier.

Manish
Ricoflashback's Avatar Ricoflashback 07:28 AM 04-16-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post

Throughout this lengthy thread members have had a similar issue to the one you show in the picture. The image looks trapezoidal. 99% of the time it is simply that the projector is not completely square to the wall on one of the three axis. For the other 1%, the wall isn't square to the projector.

Agreed - - in my case, my BenQ is ceiling mounted in my man cave (basement). My right lower corner is about an inch to the left of my screen.

I ran a level measurement on my ceiling and it's not 100% square. I could compensate by lowering the right side of my screen an inch or two, but that wouldn't look good - aesthetic wise. I just live with it and enjoy my big screen!
Stuntman_Mike's Avatar Stuntman_Mike 07:33 AM 04-16-2013
Quote:

Instead of a bright white light on my ceiling (remember - my projector is in front of my sitting area - - a couple feet away) it's not as bright. Plus, the light coming through the projector (where the focus ring and zoom is located) is more muted - -colored (tinted) as opposed to bright white.

I already use SmartEco (not sure why they call it that - - it seems to me to be the same brightness but the fan is quieter!) and it's not the same thing - - benefit wise (ND2 versus SmartEco) - - at least for me.

I purchased the ND2 to ND400 variable filter via Ebay. It was much cheaper than a camera store. I did buy the metal adapter ring from Dave's Camera - - $12.99 - - I couldn't find it as easily on Ebay and wanted to match the metal ND2 filter.

No, not SmartEco, just plain Economic mode. It's the dimmest mode on the projector. SmartEco has variable brightness based on content, whereas Normal is always bright, and Economic is always dim.

Blacks get better with Eco, but it's too dim for my liking. Just wondering if you had tried that before going the route of a filter.
Keith AP's Avatar Keith AP 07:34 AM 04-16-2013
Quote:

Hi all,

I've been reading this thread for some time now and finally decided to buy the W1070. Had it for 2 weeks now and works wonderfully. Play some Blu-Ray, PS3, X-Box 360 and FPS on my comp with no lag. My set up is the Projector hanging from the ceiling at 8'' and 13' from my wall. I painted the wall white with light grey (SICO) found on this Forum and it's so nice. I do have an small issue;

I had a similar situation when first mounting the projector and before adjustment. To me it appears the projector is turned a little to the left and possibly tilted up/down just a bit.

It gets real confusing working in three dimensions. Trying tilting the projector up/down until BOTH the horizontal lines are equally inversely angled to the right vertical line (top slopes down, bottom slopes up). Then rotate the projector left/right until the image squares up.

I try to envision what a perfect square would distort to by moving the projector on each of its axis then work backwards. Hope it helps - don't give up.
Stuntman_Mike's Avatar Stuntman_Mike 07:38 AM 04-16-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeger View Post

From eBay, I bought a couple of pairs of the cheap Chinese glasses for about $22.00 each. Folks here have said that they are the same as the Sainsonics.

Last night I watched the 40 min. Imax 3D Blu-ray called "Rescue". I watched the movie with someone who also wore the cheap Chinese glasses. From what I've read here, a lot of folks have mentioned sync issues and the fact that they sometimes want to work with the inverse signal. The weird thing is that my friend and I would both mention when the glasses lost sync - and when they picked it up again. It seemed that BOTH mine and his lost the signal and regained the sync at pretty much the same time. I figured that this loss of sync would be random . . . I didn't expect that whatever causes the loss would affect both pairs at exactly the same time. Any thoughts?

Some here have said to coat the sensor with a red permanent marker, since for someone it improved the sync. If so, did it really make a lasting difference? I hate to put an indelible marker on the glasses IF it doesn't really help (or help much). I would say that the glasses were going in and out of synch about 3 or 4 times per minute. Let's just say, I wouldn't want to watch more 3D content when there is a constant ongoing synch issue.

The glasses seem to work in that cross-talk is a non-issue . . . that is until the synch goes haywire again.

Can the 3D program content be part of the problem? I just can't believe how constant the synch loss was . . . and how the glasses would want to also keep switching to the wrong inverse 3D synch signal.

If someone knows how to truly make these cheap glasses work, please let me know.

Thanks.

Ian

I wouldn't bother with those glasses. When the Sainsonics and the many glasses that are just like the Sainsonics but go by different names, were the only glasses that were cheap, I could understand why people bought them. Now that the 3DTV Corp glasses are only $58 or $59 a pair, and everyone who has compared them has said that they are superior to the Sainsonic type glasses in every way, except that they aren't rechargeable, why not spend the extra $6 or $7?
Morkeleb's Avatar Morkeleb 07:42 AM 04-16-2013
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post

Throughout this lengthy thread members have had a similar issue to the one you show in the picture. The image looks trapezoidal. 99% of the time it is simply that the projector is not completely square to the wall on one of the three axis. For the other 1%, the wall isn't square to the projector.

I had the same issue once I remounted my mount so I could eliminate using keystone. I have low ceilings and had to use a -1 keystone to get a square image. I ended up mounting the bulk of my peerless mount up in the ceiling. It worked in that I could run without using keystone but I noticed that I had the same image as you Fangdragon that the left side of the screen was larger. As DavidK442 says the projector isn't square to the wall. I turned my projector using the mounting slots which are elongated on the peerless mount then I had to move the screen a bit to adjust to the new square image. Luckily my elite hangs on brackets that made this easy. I could be wrong but I think that just like when you move your projector further from your screen the image gets bigger your left side of your projector is further from the screen than the right causing the left side to be enlarged.

Just read Keith KP's post. and reread DavidK442's post. I missed that it's not a true trapezoid. I agree that there are few things off in the mounting and it'll take some adjustments to get it square, good luck!

Also I'd like to add I am really enjoying this projector. I'm going to a some point to try out a ND2 filter and possibly later get the Darbee.
Ricoflashback's Avatar Ricoflashback 07:44 AM 04-16-2013
Quote:

No, not SmartEco, just plain Economic mode. It's the dimmest mode on the projector. SmartEco has variable brightness based on content, whereas Normal is always bright, and Economic is always dim.

Blacks get better with Eco, but it's too dim for my liking. Just wondering if you had tried that before going the route of a filter.

I did not try Economic - - but I'm glad I did try the filter because the difference in color saturation - - vivid, intense colors, was an unexpected benefit.

If the "Projector Central" calculations are right - - I'm at 41 FL - - which would be even bright enough for you? (Without the ND2 filter) smile.gif
Stuntman_Mike's Avatar Stuntman_Mike 07:54 AM 04-16-2013
Quote:

I did not try Economic - - but I'm glad I did try the filter because the difference in color saturation - - vivid, intense colors, was an unexpected benefit.

If the "Projector Central" calculations are right - - I'm at 41 FL - - which would be even bright enough for you? (Without the ND2 filter) smile.gif

I could definitely live with 41ftL's, as my plasma in THX mode, which is the only reference mode on the set, so no choice but to use it, is only about 33ftL's.

I wouldn't get an image that bright though if I used a filter with my PJ and setup. If it does actually trim light output by about half, I'd be more in the 27 or 28ftL range. With your short throw, you have lumens up the wazzoo lol. When I go to Eco mode, which I think is 33% dimmer if memory serves me, it's a bit too dim for me, so half would probably not cut it either.

Not sure how close to real world PJ Central's calc is either, as it said I should be getting 70ftL, and when measured, I do not.

Glad it's working out for you though. I'm just gonna have to wait until they find a way to have a super bright PJ with great black's. I'm also waiting until I pick the lotto numbers too, so we'll see which happens first lol. I'd settle for a 2013 update to the W7000 though.
JackB's Avatar JackB 12:05 PM 04-16-2013
I would like to know what an ND filter does (technically) that causes such an improvement to the colors, black level, etc.
Daniel Chaves's Avatar Daniel Chaves 12:11 PM 04-16-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post

I would like to know what an ND filter does (technically) that causes such an improvement to the colors, black level, etc.

google is your friend wink.gif but no really check out this link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutral_density_filter
Morkeleb's Avatar Morkeleb 12:26 PM 04-16-2013
Looking into getting some 3d glasses. It seem that many here like these.

http://www.amazon.com/3DTV-Corp-DLP-LINK-Projectors-Mitsubishi/dp/B004G2VJM6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366135810&sr=8-1&keywords=3dtv+glasses

but it seems that these, link below, are a newer version going by 3dcorp's site.

http://www.amazon.com/3DTV-Corp-upgraded-rechargeable-compatible/dp/B00BJAQBGC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1366135704&sr=8-3&keywords=3dtv+glasses

From reading the thread I see that the first ones I linked to are 144hz according to some here even though they aren't listed as such. Any reason not to get to get the newer version? Anyone have both and notice any difference?
Daniel Chaves's Avatar Daniel Chaves 12:41 PM 04-16-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morkeleb View Post

http://www.amazon.com/3DTV-Corp-DLP-LINK-Projectors-Mitsubishi/dp/B004G2VJM6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366135810&sr=8-1&keywords=3dtv+glasses

but it seems that these, link below, are a newer version going by 3dcorp's site.

http://www.amazon.com/3DTV-Corp-upgraded-rechargeable-compatible/dp/B00BJAQBGC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1366135704&sr=8-3&keywords=3dtv+glasses

From reading the thread I see that the first ones I linked to are 144hz according to some here even though they aren't listed as such. Any reason not to get to get the newer version? Anyone have both and notice any difference?

personal taste, I like the first ones because they do help block side light, so it all depends on what you like more and what you feel is more comfortable to wear.
Stuntman_Mike's Avatar Stuntman_Mike 12:55 PM 04-16-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morkeleb View Post

I own the top version. Never tried the newest version, although I did look into them.

From what rwestley said, who has A/B-ed many of these glasses, the newer 3DTV Corp glasses are the same as another model (forget which), and they don't block the red flash as well.

I really wanted rechargeable so I considered many other glasses, even ones that cost double or triple what most paid for theirs, but I ended up getting the 3DTV Corp glasses from the first link. They are a newer version and are compatible with 144hz, even though the description hasn't changed. If you click on other buying options to buy from different sellers on that page, it does say compatible with 144hz in the description on the other page for both those shipped from 3DTV Corp, and by Amazon.
Morkeleb's Avatar Morkeleb 12:58 PM 04-16-2013
Thanks! Both of you for the quick replies.
rwestley's Avatar rwestley 01:20 PM 04-16-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Chaves View Post

personal taste, I like the first ones because they do help block side light, so it all depends on what you like more and what you feel is more comfortable to wear.
Don't get the red ones they don't block the red flash that well the look the same as the Sansonic
zapper's Avatar zapper 01:34 PM 04-16-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post

Don't get the red ones they don't block the red flash that well the look the same as the Sansonic

Have 4 pairs of the Sansonic and no problems here.
lithoman's Avatar lithoman 02:33 PM 04-16-2013
Anyone try these G3 DLP 3D Glasses by Quantum 3D

got some coming will post how well they work.
Stuntman_Mike's Avatar Stuntman_Mike 02:56 PM 04-16-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by lithoman View Post

Anyone try these G3 DLP 3D Glasses by Quantum 3D

got some coming will post how well they work.

HAve not, but I was seriously thinking about them. The description was ticking all the boxes and they looked extremely comfortable with the rubber coating. Without any others that had them, I was a little leery to shell out the $100 for the pair, not knowing if they didn't block red flash well or had a bad tint.

Please let us know how they work for you. I may pick up a pair.
Tyrone Burton's Avatar Tyrone Burton 05:13 PM 04-16-2013
Economic mode? I have'nt seen that on this BenQ W1070, were you talking about another projector?
Bradley King's Avatar Bradley King 06:34 PM 04-16-2013
he wasn't
it's lamp power setting
Tags: Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
First ... 140  141  142 143  144  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop