BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$ - Page 145 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4321 of 10009 Old 04-18-2013, 01:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesZ7 View Post

No, not using it to make it "brighter" (increase lumens). When I use the clipping files to test it comes out two points higher than the previous projector (54 vs 52 @ 2.4 gamma) — just pointing out how the new projector's brightness, though set at 50, was noticeably lower than the previous when set at 50 — which of course gives a slightly dimmer appearance because blacks are blacker and shadow detail is decreased. Just noting the differences. . . and similarities. Not doing anything stupid setting wise biggrin.gif

Oh I see, well then that is interesting.

Did the firmware revision differ between samples?

Jason

My Twitch Game Stream [PS4/Xone/PC]...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4322 of 10009 Old 04-18-2013, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

I'm running my cable through the hdmi input on the Oppo. To get 3d sbs movies at 1080p24, I just plug my hdd into the usb on the Oppo also. Including my ripped 2D MKV movies. Then, I use my AOIS HD media player in my 2nd hdmi input to watch my ISO rips

Thanks - I tried running my Directv receiver through HDMI 1 of the OPPO 103 and no go - - HDCP issues. I look on that thread for answers.

Also - there is a resolution button on the OPPO 103 - so maybe I can output 1080P/24fps that way. Everything else shows up 1080P/60fps when I toogle the Benq remote.

Home Theater Setup
Samsung UN65ES8000 LCD/LED
BenQ W1080ST Projector
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp)
Wyred4Sound MMC-7 Channel Amplifier, 221wpc
OPPO 103, Directv GENIE
Darbee Darblet
ALL Paradigm - 7.1 - Studio 60's, V.2 (FL/FR)
CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS)
MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub
post #4323 of 10009 Old 04-18-2013, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post

Thanks - I tried running my Directv receiver through HDMI 1 of the OPPO 103 and no go - - HDCP issues. I look on that thread for answers.

Also - there is a resolution button on the OPPO 103 - so maybe I can output 1080P/24fps that way. Everything else shows up 1080P/60fps when I toogle the Benq remote.
I was going to try to get 1080p60 working with 3D later. I tried 720p60 and it works. I have two pairs of Optoma ZD201s and I really don't want to sell them. My 1080p 3D seems to want to only do 1080p24 and that will not work with the ZD201s because they are not 144hz glasses. Plus, I wanted to compare the different hz in 3D.
post #4324 of 10009 Old 04-18-2013, 02:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

Oh I see, well then that is interesting.

Did the firmware revision differ between samples?

Jason

Yes, but. . . . the last one we got was shipped after 1.05 was released but shipped with 1.04. This one is a March build with 1.05. However, our 1.04 firmware had no problem saving isf settings — didn't notice any issues with it. BTW, these are direct from BenQ. Was a little surprised the last one didn't have 1.05.

fyi, watched a few things quickly and noticed there is far less image noise than the previous two, at least thus far. Will have to look at one of the blu-ray disks I watched on the previous one(s) and see what I see cool.gif
post #4325 of 10009 Old 04-18-2013, 02:12 PM

Liked: 13
So like some of you here who is in a completely dark room with no ambient light, would Economic mode be better than Smart Eco?

post #4326 of 10009 Old 04-18-2013, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
I tried out my nd2 filter today and anyone with a light controlled room I highly recommend one. My black levels look so much better!! It was much to bright for my setup as well. I'm getting an nd4 as well and hope it will make my blacks better with out getting to dim.
post #4327 of 10009 Old 04-18-2013, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Burton View Post

So like some of you here who is in a completely dark room with no ambient light, would Economic mode be better than Smart Eco?

If the image is too bright in your dark room, then yes, use Economic.

SmartEco has variable brightness based on material being shown. And can be as bright as Normal, or dimmer (not sure if it ever gets as dim as Economic though). Economic is dim all the time and Normal is bright all the time.

post #4328 of 10009 Old 04-18-2013, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamd View Post

I tried out my nd2 filter today and anyone with a light controlled room I highly recommend one. My black levels look so much better!! It was much to bright for my setup as well. I'm getting an nd4 as well and hope it will make my blacks better with out getting to dim.

My filter was delivered yesterday now waiting on the adapter so I can use it.

Disclaimer:
The words above are based on loose facts mixed with my opinion, the latter of which is subject to change.

Gamertag Morkaleb
PSN Archathema
post #4329 of 10009 Old 04-18-2013, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Watching Sammy Adventure 2 and it looks awesome on my wall. I'm at 140in from 9ft away.
post #4330 of 10009 Old 04-18-2013, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I just ordered 3dtvcorp glasses to see if my 3d pop (lackthere of) is perhaps due to the sainsonics... I've seen other people post they're not getting the wow like with tv's.
Tried a bluray player, htpc, hardware 3d media player, all produce same flat 3d pop. Out of all the different 3d material I've tried, the LG demo movie is the only thing that can put an object close to my face but only if it's super slow motion, and even there it's blurry and hurts my eyes...
Overall video is great at 1080p but desktop is always blurry on one side , focus is super sensitive, and I cannot away from -3 keystone no matter what.

I've posted my issues a few times with not much response... has anyone had a crappy 3d experience with this projector and found a way to make it better?
post #4331 of 10009 Old 04-18-2013, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accordex View Post

I just ordered 3dtvcorp glasses to see if my 3d pop (lackthere of) is perhaps due to the sainsonics... I've seen other people post they're not getting the wow like with tv's.
Tried a bluray player, htpc, hardware 3d media player, all produce same flat 3d pop. Out of all the different 3d material I've tried, the LG demo movie is the only thing that can put an object close to my face but only if it's super slow motion, and even there it's blurry and hurts my eyes...
Overall video is great at 1080p but desktop is always blurry on one side , focus is super sensitive, and I cannot away from -3 keystone no matter what.

I've posted my issues a few times with not much response... has anyone had a crappy 3d experience with this projector and found a way to make it better?

I'm using the 3dtv corp glasses and its coming out the screen. Most movies show good depth but a few have 3d that pop. I'm testing out 3d on the wall now at 140in. I had the w7000 and it had great 3d too. I seen 3d on tv only at best buy about 10 times. I don't think its close to mines
post #4332 of 10009 Old 04-18-2013, 06:24 PM

Image noise. . . glitter/fizzy. . .

Well, this third projector does NOT have the "dancing pixels" that the previous two had. I know some of you had/have this same issue (added image noise). I figured, after two projectors, that it was just part of the reality of either DLP or BenQ and/or projectors (due to increased size of image) however, I've been running through several blu-rays testing this new projector and it looks so much better! I'm a little stunned at how much better it looks. It no longer exaggerates film grain. The grain now looks very normal instead of very glittery and dancing about. Checked out a bit of Hancock and Stargate, both have grain, and they looked pretty bad on the previous two projectors. . . they both look great on this one! No more fizzy/glittery in the skylines and out of focus areas. They look like they should, and I really don't notice much difference having brilliant color on vs off. And it doesn't seem to need full blu-ray bit rate to look great, as the previous two did.

So, each of the three projectors we've had have been better than the last. Now the image looks pretty close to plasma! Wonder what we would get for the next one. . . VT50 @100" lol biggrin.gif

Sure hope this one's fan plays nice!!! It really is looking great! Now I can see why some rave so much about the picture quality, unfortunately it has taken us 3 projectors to get there mad.gif
post #4333 of 10009 Old 04-18-2013, 06:28 PM

Hmmm...I am also wondering if my screen is to blame. .. it's a home build using Carl's place blackout cloth. .. when I had my optoma 750 for a while I had it beaming onto a bright white wall, which was awful as far as the bubbles on the wall, colors were horrible, and it was 720p, but 3d was incredible. Right in your face. This was also at 84" vs 120" now...
I tried placing a white sheet of paper over my screen while on the desktop of my pc and every icon I placed it over got noticeably more colorful. Could my screen be the culprit here? If I invest in a electric screen for 200 plus ontop of everything and it's the same I'll
be pissed.
Also..when I go up to the screen, all the icons have a weird ghost effect to them facing up/left
post #4334 of 10009 Old 04-18-2013, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hmmm...I am also wondering if my screen is to blame. .. it's a home build using Carl's place blackout cloth. .. when I had my optoma 750 fonr a while I had it beaming onto a bright white wall, which was awful as far as the bubbles on the wall, colors were horrible, and it was 720p, but 3d was incredible. Right in your face. This was also at 84" vs 120" now...
I tried placing a white sheet of paper over my screen while on the desktop of my pc and every icon I placed it over got noticeably more colorful. Could my screen be the culprit here? If I invest in a electric screen for 200 plus ontop of everything and it's the same I'll
be pissed.
Also..when I go up to the screen, all the icons have a weird ghost effect to them facing up/left
It could be the movie. But when I went from 100in to 120in, there was a noticeable difference in 3d. Now 120in to 140in, another big jump
post #4335 of 10009 Old 04-18-2013, 06:52 PM

? Difference as in for the better or worse?
Also here's closed up of my desktop. ..

Normal?
post #4336 of 10009 Old 04-18-2013, 07:39 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
This is my second one, the other I returned it cause if weird notice of the fan. Before I had it up to my head on a shelf with keystone 6 but now after I get the mustang mount I have it in the ceiling with -1 keystone. The image is good the 3d fantastic the only problem I have is with the focus. Down on the screen seems little no focused. I don't know if is wrong of the projector or from the screen. The screen is one electric 100' 1,3 gain that I took 95 bucks from eBay.
post #4337 of 10009 Old 04-18-2013, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

Have the BenQ and a Penny 55" Plasma and that 3D pops on certain movies like A Christmas Carol and on the BenQ its OK but not like the Penny, they are both different animals per say. Now once that I have certain hours on my PJ then will calibrate it and the results will be close to the Penny but do not expect the same quality picture on the BenQ but will have more of a theater feel, then the Penny.

Ralph
post #4338 of 10009 Old 04-18-2013, 08:46 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapper View Post

Have the BenQ and a Penny 55" Plasma and that 3D pops on certain movies like A Christmas Carol and on the BenQ its OK but not like the Penny, they are both different animals per say. Now once that I have certain hours on my PJ then will calibrate it and the results will be close to the Penny but do not expect the same quality picture on the BenQ but will have more of a theater feel, then the Penny.

I also have a Panasonic plasma. Less pop, on the projector, but way less crosstalk too. Pick your poison; I personally find the projector way more immersive and less fatiguing than the plasma.
post #4339 of 10009 Old 04-18-2013, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimoy View Post

I also have a Panasonic plasma. Less pop, on the projector, but way less crosstalk too. Pick your poison; I personally find the projector way more immersive and less fatiguing than the plasma.

Agree 100% but in do time the BenQ will have a better pop not as good as the Plasma, when t it gets more hours on the counter after the breaking in period and a good calibration.

Ralph
post #4340 of 10009 Old 04-19-2013, 01:59 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapper View Post

Different glasses or any given display technology will not make a difference to the amount of 3D "pop" you will get. The only effect on the "pop" will be the horizontal disparity between the left and right eye of the content. The size of the display and the viewing distance will also effect the perceived disparity. Some blu-ray players will allow you to increase the disparity to match the size of the displayed image.
post #4341 of 10009 Old 04-19-2013, 02:57 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVooDoo View Post

Different glasses or any given display technology will not make a difference to the amount of 3D "pop" you will get. The only effect on the "pop" will be the horizontal disparity between the left and right eye of the content. The size of the display and the viewing distance will also effect the perceived disparity. Some blu-ray players will allow you to increase the disparity to match the size of the displayed image.

Does the relative placement of the projector , in front , same level or behind the watching postion have an impact on 3d perception (pop, depth) since this have to have impact on paralax ??
post #4342 of 10009 Old 04-19-2013, 03:25 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by toni1 View Post

Does the relative placement of the projector , in front , same level or behind the watching postion have an impact on 3d perception (pop, depth) since this have to have impact on paralax ??
No, the position of the projector won't change the amount of parallax. "3D" displays are not really 3D, they are stereoscopic, it's a big difference.
post #4343 of 10009 Old 04-19-2013, 04:58 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Different glasses or any given display technology will not make a difference to the amount of 3D "pop" you will get. The only effect on the "pop" will be the horizontal disparity between the left and right eye of the content. The size of the display and the viewing distance will also effect the perceived disparity. Some blu-ray players will allow you to increase the disparity to match the size of the displayed image.[/quo

I'll have to look for more informations on stereoscopics (heard about it and dont realy understand the difference)

Do you know the brand type of br player alowing incresing in disparity / screen size ??
post #4344 of 10009 Old 04-19-2013, 05:37 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by toni1 View Post

Quote:

Different glasses or any given display technology will not make a difference to the amount of 3D "pop" you will get. The only effect on the "pop" will be the horizontal disparity between the left and right eye of the content. The size of the display and the viewing distance will also effect the perceived disparity. Some blu-ray players will allow you to increase the disparity to match the size of the displayed image.[/quo

I'll have to look for more informations on stereoscopics (heard about it and dont realy understand the difference)

Do you know the brand type of br player alowing incresing in disparity / screen size ??

The Oppo 103 has a "3D TV Size" setting in it's 3d setup options. This is probably the "disparity" setting AVooDoo mentioned.
post #4345 of 10009 Old 04-19-2013, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This is probably my 10th 3D projector and I haven't notice a difference in 3D other than contrast and cross talk. The "pop" or image coming out at me is always the same. I have numerous 3D title that I try every time I get a new 3D projector. Also, distance can play a factor too. I prefer being further away. For instance, on the Under the Sea with the Potato Cod fish coming out at you, when I was 18ft away, the fish came to my nose. So, it was unreal. Then, when watching animation, the image floated about half the distance from me. So, from 18ft away, everything seemed as if they were in the middle of the room. Now since I'm closer the image is right near my feet since I'm 9ft away from a 140in screen.
post #4346 of 10009 Old 04-19-2013, 06:48 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

This is probably my 10th 3D projector and I haven't notice a difference in 3D other than contrast and cross talk. The "pop" or image coming out at me is always the same. I have numerous 3D title that I try every time I get a new 3D projector. Also, distance can play a factor too. I prefer being further away. For instance, on the Under the Sea with the Potato Cod fish coming out at you, when I was 18ft away, the fish came to my nose. So, it was unreal. Then, when watching animation, the image floated about half the distance from me. So, from 18ft away, everything seemed as if they were in the middle of the room. Now since I'm closer the image is right near my feet since I'm 9ft away from a 140in screen.

My observations are exactly the same. And ive tried to explain that to friends and they dont fully believe me. The further you are away from the screen, the better perception of 3D, but some would say, the less the immersion because the image no longer surrounds you. So regardless of what display type you have, if ou want more pop, move back more.

Whoever, i own several 3D devices theres definitely a difference in pop quality from one to another. For example, the popout has always been stronger on my Samsung plasma TV. But if i rationalize it, again distance may be coming into play. Because even tho i am sitting the same distance to my TV & Projector, the TV is half the width, hence its effectively been viewed at a longer distance away (Screen width to viewing ratio). Hence the TV is being viewing further back and more pop.

Also yesterday i was in RS and viewed TXL47DT50B LED passive 3D TV, its 3D pop-out the best i have ever seen. Better than my projector, and i was sitting only about 2 meters from the TV. The 3D is definitely better than my 3D plasma.

I recently upgraded from a HD33 to a W1070, i compared them side by side and the HD33 originally had an edge in 3D depth/layering definition. But ive had my W1070 for 3 weeks now... and it seems to have improved.... as now the quality of the 3D seems as good as the HD33, or has my eyes 'adapted to the W1070? I notice 3D quality can vary from one viewing session to another.

Basically, im confused, because reviews do also claim the HD25 has better 3D depth and Pop than the W1070.

All in all, im really pleased with how much home 3D technology has progressed. Its getting better and brighter and by 2 years time, decent glasses free at an affordable price.
post #4347 of 10009 Old 04-19-2013, 06:53 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post

If you are worried about the image being too bright, use Smart-Eco with an ND2 filter...Period!

My 72mm ND2 HMC Hoya arrived today along with an adapter ring. As mentioned by others, the combination seats firmly into the front of the lens housing and makes a considerable improvement to the picture.
Still not a JVC or Sony on the dark scenes, but a great picture all the same.

What size screen are you using?

How far away is your projector mounted?

How many ftL's are you measuring with and without the filter?

I may have to get one just to see if the blacks are really as improved as you and others say, even though it will probably be a waste of money, since I have a feeling I won't be able to stand the decrease in brightness.

post #4348 of 10009 Old 04-19-2013, 07:11 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Newegg has this projector for $899 after you put in the code "EMCXSWL25"
post #4349 of 10009 Old 04-19-2013, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman_Mike View Post

What size screen are you using?

How far away is your projector mounted?

How many ftL's are you measuring with and without the filter?

I may have to get one just to see if the blacks are really as improved as you and others say, even though it will probably be a waste of money, since I have a feeling I won't be able to stand the decrease in brightness.

My filter and adapter should be here next week. I'm wondering how the nd2 filter attached with normal or smart eco compared to no filter in echo mode.
I will probably only use filter with certain bluray and certainly take it off for sports and tv.
post #4350 of 10009 Old 04-19-2013, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page