BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$ - Page 148 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4411 of 10421 Old 04-22-2013, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by petesvt View Post

Been lurking for a long time doing homework on projectors. I was going to hold off for a Epson 3020, but at 899.00 shipped on Newegg I could not pass that up. I got a 92" fixed frame screen and this will be my first projector. I figured that this one would be the best one to get my "hands wet" so to speak. I hoping that this will be a nice upgrade from my Sammy C8000 55" TV.

It will be a great upgrade and for the price its a steal, you will enjoy a Theater in your own home, you cannot go wrong on this PJ.

Ralph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4412 of 10421 Old 04-22-2013, 10:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman_Mike View Post

... I use the PJ as my TV and I have around 400hrs on it.

Our PJ is also used as a TV (family room). 490 hours of use to date. Saturday usage often tops 16 hours of continuous Smart-Eco on time. No issues relating to overheating observed to date.

(Glad to hear the price continues to drop. If it keeps going, maybe I'll have to buy a spare projector instead of a spare bulb!!!)
acras13 likes this.

post #4413 of 10421 Old 04-23-2013, 12:45 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I have the laptop connecting with the pj what is the best refresh rate for viewing films? 24p? Or 60p refresh rate? I have the intel 4000 and the nvidia 660m on my laptop connecting with hdmi.
post #4414 of 10421 Old 04-23-2013, 01:11 AM

Liked: 13
Could anyone at all give me a percentage of how low the lens shift can go on this projector, standing in it's normal position, not upside down?

I read some specs of this projector on the benQ wbsite and it shows the figures 110% 130% +5%?

post #4415 of 10421 Old 04-23-2013, 03:39 AM
Bez

Liked: 11
Hey guys
Looking at getting this projector but unsure about screen size.

Ill be sitting about 12feet from the screen.
Im keen for 120"

Will there be a noticeable difference in picture quality between 100" and 120" ?

Cheers smile.gif
post #4416 of 10421 Old 04-23-2013, 03:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 148
You don't want to go 100" from 12 feet back, that's too small, go for the bigger screen.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #4417 of 10421 Old 04-23-2013, 06:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any one what kind of cable to buy for DC 12V trigger port for w1070 to connect to my elite 120 inch screen?

Really appreciate any suggestion.
post #4418 of 10421 Old 04-23-2013, 07:19 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeger View Post

Hey, Stuntman Mike . . .

First, great to hear that BenQ is customer friendly . . . this is a very good thing.

I mentioned in a post I wrote yesterday that in the manual for the W1070 it mentions that you need to turn up the cooling fan (high altitude) setting when using the projector for more than 10 or 11 hrs. Even if you haven't been using it that long in one sitting, perhaps the projector does do some weird stuff when it's getting close to overheating. If the problem comes back, why not try to see if the high fan cooling setting might help.

Ian

I'll give that a shot. It's supposed to be cooler the higher in altitude you go though, so I don't understand why the fan would work harder in High Altitude mode.

post #4419 of 10421 Old 04-23-2013, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themagic View Post

Stuntman_mike how long have you had the BenQ W1070?

I got mine on March 5th, but I didn't start using it until a few days later, so maybe March 9th or so.

post #4420 of 10421 Old 04-23-2013, 08:49 AM

Liked: 23
Quote:

I'll give that a shot. It's supposed to be cooler the higher in altitude you go though, so I don't understand why the fan would work harder in High Altitude mode.

The atmosphere is thinner at the altitude where BenQ, Epson and others recommend the high fan mode. It's not the ambient temperature at the elevation that is the concern - the bulb is somewhat taxed due to the change in air pressure. The higher fan speed works to keep a any issues with increased pressure on the lamp when it's hot in check.

Ian
post #4421 of 10421 Old 04-23-2013, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The atmosphere is thinner at the altitude where BenQ, Epson and others recommend the high fan mode. It's not the ambient temperature at the elevation that is the concern - the bulb is somewhat taxed due to the change in air pressure. The higher fan speed works to keep a any issues with increased pressure on the lamp when it's hot in check.

Ian

Got you.

Are there any downsides to just using High Altitude all the time, at sea level, other than probable increase in fan noise? If it will protect the lamp, I might live with it.

post #4422 of 10421 Old 04-23-2013, 09:38 AM

Question to everyone about firmware 1.05 issues:

Our third projector with firmware 1.05 starts and remains in, I'm guessing, normal lamp mode for a couple minutes and the "lamp power" option is NOT available in the settings during this time. After a couple minutes the option becomes available. I say it is probably in normal lamp mode because of the fan noise — it's running high. Did not notice this in the previous projectors.

Two, with lamp mode set to economic the fan is now the same level as when in normal lamp mode, only smarteco has a lower fan speed. The previous two projectors both were the quietest in economic lamp mode.

Flickering
The last projector lamp would "pump" a little when switching to very bright screens, like when I would display the desktop with windows explorer open. You could visibly see the lamp changing brightness a couple times real quickly. Did not see that on the first or third projectors however, the first and third clearly do NOT have the same amount of lumens as the second (see below). However, can't say I've seen exactly what stuntman has seen on any of the projectors.

FYI about the W1070's lumens
Now that we are on our third projector and have had some time with it, I believe their are two "models" of W1070 being shipped. I say this because our first and third projector are very close in lumens/brightness but the second was noticeably brighter. The second projector never needed to have gamma above 2.2, regardless of how much light was being let into the room — within reason, of course. Watching at 2.2 gamma in black-out conditions was too bright — at our temp 84" screen. The first and third need 2.2 for black-out conditions and even then I don't think it's as bright. Going with 2.4, even in black-out conditions, just isn't that bright — it is watchable but nowhere near the second projector's brightness — and it can't handle as much daylight into the room no matter what the gamma is set to.

Even though I set the second (brightest one we've had) and third projector (seems very similar to the first) side by side it was impossible for me to see just how bright they were because of limitations in the room and screen size; however, it was obvious that the third needed at least two points higher on brightness to even look similar in shadow detail. This is, honestly, a little disappointing mad.gif as the brighter projector was great for daylight living-room issues whereas the current one really needs the blinds fully closes so the least amount of light is let in.

I do believe this is why we are seeing some very different opinions of how much light this projector can handle and how bright it should be per screen size. Well, it's because some are getting brighter projectors than others.

This seems obvious when we compare the following two "pro" reviews
http://www.avforums.com/reviews/BenQ-W1070-1080p-Full-HD-3D-DLP-Projector-Review_498/Test_Results.html
Quote:
Rather surprisingly for a budget projector with a data grade history, it wasn't that bright as we were expecting and in the Economic lamp mode we were only getting around 900 lumens. If you switched to the Normal lamp mode, the brightness increased to 1,100 lumens but it was still a long way from the claimed 2,000 lumens.

http://www.projectorreviews.com/benq/w1070/performance.php
Quote:
Lumen Output and Color Temp at 100 IRE (mid zoom):
Dynamic= 1786 @ 7754
Standard= 1730 @ 6912
Cinema= 1711 @ 6913, 1109 @ 7359 with Eco lamp, 1335 @ 6566 with Normal lamp and Brilliant Color off.
User 1= 1730 @ 6897
User 2= 1730 @ 6904

They are getting, at a minimum, at least 200 lumen difference. . . if I'm reading everything correctly. However, I do believe we have seen this lumen issue with the three W1070's we've had.
post #4423 of 10421 Old 04-23-2013, 09:50 AM

Quote:

Got you.

Are there any downsides to just using High Altitude all the time, at sea level, other than probable increase in fan noise? If it will protect the lamp, I might live with it.

I ran this question by Epson (about my 5010) and they said it was fine to leave on the high altitude fan mode all the time. I can't see why BenQ projectors would be different in when it comes to constant hi fan speed. You might want to ask BenQ, just to be sure. I think it's a great idea IF it (at near sea level) might add a slight benefit to the lamp. I think the reason that there is a slower fan speed is so that manufacturers can advertise a lower db noise floor when it comes to how quiet the projector can run. The only downside (maybe) to running the higher speed is that the fan might not last as long if it causes the bearings to wear much sooner than they would normally.

But, if lack of cooling could be causing the image anomaly that you had come and go, then the high fan speed might help. Worth a try to see if it fixes the issue before the new unit arrives. Others have mentioned that there is a plastic film in the bulb housing area that seems to be something accidentally left behind from the manufacturing process. I haven't looked in my projector to see if I have this left-over bit of protective film since my unit has been performing without issue . . . but others have say they have had problems with overheating where this film may have been the problem. One person here called VisualApex (where they bought their unit) and they suggested to simply remove the plastic and throw it away.

Ian
post #4424 of 10421 Old 04-23-2013, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesZ7 View Post

FYI about the W1070's lumens
Now that we are on our third projector and have had some time with it, I believe their are two "models" of W1070 being shipped. I say this because our first and third projector are very close in lumens/brightness but the second was noticeably brighter. The second projector never needed to have gamma above 2.2, regardless of how much light was being let into the room — within reason, of course. Watching at 2.2 gamma in black-out conditions was too bright — at our temp 84" screen. The first and third need 2.2 for black-out conditions and even then I don't think it's as bright. Going with 2.4, even in black-out conditions, just isn't that bright — it is watchable but nowhere near the second projector's brightness — and it can't handle as much daylight into the room no matter what the gamma is set to.

Hi, CharlesZ7 . . .

What you say is interesting. Someone here posted a link to service manuals (PDF files) for the W1070. Here is something I cut and pasted from the manual. See point 2 below. The written spec seems to suggest that 50% of the W1070 units made will have 50% initial minimum brightness. I don't have a clue what this really means, but it does sound like they have units where half of them have performance (brightness characteristics) that differ from the other half. I wonder if they do this with a new model to see if one version performs more reliably in the field than the other? Interesting that you should mention this pretty much the same time I stumbled upon this "spec" for the projector.

If you find the brightness so much lower with the unit you have vs. what you originally purchased, you can ask BenQ about this spec and ask to have a unit that provides a brighter image - if they really do make two versions. Let us know if you find this to be the case. Interesting.

12.2 Lamp Lifetime
1). Lamp hour = Total lamp hour= X(hours used in Normal
mode) + Y(hours used in Eco mode) + Z(hours used in
SmartEco mode)
X= lamp life spec of SmartEco/lamp life spec of Normal mode
Y= lamp life spec of SmartEco/lamp life spec of Eco mode
Z= lamp life spec of SmartEco/lamp life spec of SmartEco
mode.
2). 50% of Projectors will have 50% Initial Minimum
Brightness
post #4425 of 10421 Old 04-23-2013, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I ran this question by Epson (about my 5010) and they said it was fine to leave on the high altitude fan mode all the time. I can't see why BenQ projectors would be different in when it comes to constant hi fan speed. You might want to ask BenQ, just to be sure. I think it's a great idea IF it (at near sea level) might add a slight benefit to the lamp. I think the reason that there is a slower fan speed is so that manufacturers can advertise a lower db noise floor when it comes to how quiet the projector can run. The only downside (maybe) to running the higher speed is that the fan might not last as long if it causes the bearings to wear much sooner than they would normally.

But, if lack of cooling could be causing the image anomaly that you had come and go, then the high fan speed might help. Worth a try to see if it fixes the issue before the new unit arrives. Others have mentioned that there is a plastic film in the bulb housing area that seems to be something accidentally left behind from the manufacturing process. I haven't looked in my projector to see if I have this left-over bit of protective film since my unit has been performing without issue . . . but others have say they have had problems with overheating where this film may have been the problem. One person here called VisualApex (where they bought their unit) and they suggested to simply remove the plastic and throw it away.

Ian

I will try it and see how loud it is. I don't really hear the fan now unless the source is muted, so hopefully it won't be too noticeable at high. Don't think I heard it during 3D content either come to think of it.

Either way, I already put in for the new PJ to come. I'll see how the new one does and as long as it doesn't have any issues, I'll take the new one just in case and send the old one back.

I've never opened the PJ to check about that sticker, although I do remember others mentioning it. Not sure it was left on by mistake, or if BenQ put it there to see if the lamp has been tampered with though. I'll ask them about it and see what they say. I'm on a chat with a BenQ tech as I type this.

post #4426 of 10421 Old 04-23-2013, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

According to a BenQ 2nd Level tech, running in high altitude mode is not recommended at sea level as it will put unnecessary wear and tear on the fan.

As for the plastic label on the lamp housing, they said not to remove it. It is there to protect against dust. Never seen it so don't know if this makes sense or not, but they at least know it's there, so it wasn't left by accident and they don't want it removed.

post #4427 of 10421 Old 04-23-2013, 11:24 AM

Quote:

Hi, CharlesZ7 . . .

What you say is interesting. Someone here posted a link to service manuals (PDF files) for the W1070. Here is something I cut and pasted from the manual. See point 2 below. The written spec seems to suggest that 50% of the W1070 units made will have 50% initial minimum brightness. I don't have a clue what this really means, but it does sound like they have units where half of them have performance (brightness characteristics) that differ from the other half. I wonder if they do this with a new model to see if one version performs more reliably in the field than the other? Interesting that you should mention this pretty much the same time I stumbled upon this "spec" for the projector.

If you find the brightness so much lower with the unit you have vs. what you originally purchased, you can ask BenQ about this spec and ask to have a unit that provides a brighter image - if they really do make two versions. Let us know if you find this to be the case. Interesting.

12.2 Lamp Lifetime
1). Lamp hour = Total lamp hour= X(hours used in Normal mode) + Y(hours used in Eco mode) + Z(hours used in SmartEco mode)
Z= lamp life spec of SmartEco/lamp life spec of SmartEco mode.

2). 50% of Projectors will have 50% Initial Minimum Brightness

Yeah, I don't really understand what they mean by #2 either. Does that mean that the 50% with "initial minimum brightness" is equivalent to decreased brightness due to usage — if I understand correctly you will decrease about 30% brightness during first 1/2 of lamp life. And does that then mean those with "initial minimum brightness" will still decrease ~30% due to usage or hold better because they shipped with "initial minimum brightness?" confused.gif

And what is "initial minimum brightness" exactly? Less useable lumens? Just a setting? A lamp that is lower wattage and/or outputs less lumens? confused.gif

The same phrase, "Initial Minimum Brightness," does show up for a few other projectors however I'm unable to find any clarification as to what it means.

As far as getting a replacement. . . we are already on our third W1070. We've found it rather challenging just to get a solid working one, let alone getting picky about the lumens lol
first projector, half the screen went darker
second projector, fan screeched and got worse over time
third projector, no fan noise yet and less image noise than the previous two. . . so, try for a brighter one and get more image noise? or possibly another bad fan, etc? . . . no we'll see how this one goes.

However, it would be nice if they did have some sort of explanation about #2 and what that actually means.

Thanks for the info!!!
post #4428 of 10421 Old 04-23-2013, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yeah, I don't really understand what they mean by #2 either. Does that mean that the 50% with "initial minimum brightness" is equivalent to decreased brightness due to usage — if I understand correctly you will decrease about 30% brightness during first 1/2 of lamp life. And does that then mean those with "initial minimum brightness" will still decrease ~30% due to usage or hold better because they shipped with "initial minimum brightness?" confused.gif

And what is "initial minimum brightness" exactly? Less useable lumens? Just a setting? A lamp that is lower wattage and/or outputs less lumens? confused.gif

The same phrase, "Initial Minimum Brightness," does show up for a few other projectors however I'm unable to find any clarification as to what it means.

As far as getting a replacement. . . we are already on our third W1070. We've found it rather challenging just to get a solid working one, let alone getting picky about the lumens lol
first projector, half the screen went darker
second projector, fan screeched and got worse over time
third projector, no fan noise yet and less image noise than the previous two. . . so, try for a brighter one and get more image noise? or possibly another bad fan, etc? . . . no we'll see how this one goes.

However, it would be nice if they did have some sort of explanation about #2 and what that actually means.

Thanks for the info!!!

How did you do your replacements?

RMA and send defective projector in and wait for replacement to be sent back, or QXchange and have a hold put on your credit card, with new unit shipped out immediately and send the other back within 30 days to get the hold taken off?

I did the latter. If you have the funds available to be put on hold, you could always get a new one shipped to you and be able to compare them side by side and send the other back. Less risky that way from a hardware standpoint, though I know not everyone wants to have a hold put on their card for $1000 some odd dollars.

post #4429 of 10421 Old 04-23-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:

How did you do your replacements?

RMA and send defective projector in and wait for replacement to be sent back, or QXchange and have a hold put on your credit card, with new unit shipped out immediately and send the other back within 30 days to get the hold taken off?

I did the latter. If you have the funds available to be put on hold, you could always get a new one shipped to you and be able to compare them side by side and send the other back. Less risky that way from a hardware standpoint, though I know not everyone wants to have a hold put on their card for $1000 some odd dollars.

We did QXchange both times. However, we did need to point BenQ customer service in that direction. Not to mention explain their 30 day return policy to them — from the date you receive it.

Yeah, we could always keep trying till we get THE perfect one. . . but what a hassle! If they are going to ship two versions they should label them appropriately IMHO.
e.g. W1070A with 2000 lumens, W1070B with 1800 (or 1300 to be more exact) lumens and let the customer decide if they want the extra brightness and/or make it a setting change. Hiding something like that IMO is bunk! If they are using it for testing then they are saying, please test our beta equipment but we aren't going to tell you that you are a beta tester.

I hope someone actually knows that this initial minimum brightness means, exactly. If not we'll call BenQ later this week and ask them what's the deal.
post #4430 of 10421 Old 04-23-2013, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

We did QXchange both times. However, we did need to point BenQ customer service in that direction. Not to mention explain their 30 day return policy to them — from the date you receive it.

Yeah, we could always keep trying till we get THE perfect one. . . but what a hassle! If they are going to ship two versions they should label them appropriately IMHO.
e.g. W1070A with 2000 lumens, W1070B with 1800 (or 1300 to be more exact) lumens and let the customer decide if they want the extra brightness and/or make it a setting change. Hiding something like that IMO is bunk! If they are using it for testing then they are saying, please test our beta equipment but we aren't going to tell you that you are a beta tester.

I hope someone actually knows that this initial minimum brightness means, exactly. If not we'll call BenQ later this week and ask them what's the deal.

Yeah, I had to actually ask them to send a new one and I would ship the old one back and that they could take my cc. I guess they would rather not do that and just have you send back a PJ and then they ship out another after they receive it. I'm not going that long without a TV though, even though I have my Panny in the bedroom.

They told me that the PJ will ship tomorrow and I should have it in 3 business days. Hopefully it gets here quicker than that and I can get it Friday. Would give me the weekend to demo it. I have 30 days to ship the old one back anyway, but still.

post #4431 of 10421 Old 04-23-2013, 02:24 PM

Quote:

Yeah, I had to actually ask them to send a new one and I would ship the old one back and that they could take my cc. I guess they would rather not do that and just have you send back a PJ and then they ship out another after they receive it. I'm not going that long without a TV though, even though I have my Panny in the bedroom.

They told me that the PJ will ship tomorrow and I should have it in 3 business days. Hopefully it gets here quicker than that and I can get it Friday. Would give me the weekend to demo it. I have 30 days to ship the old one back anyway, but still.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapper View Post

Hope that this is not a inclination that when you have so many hours on the PJ it will do what StuntMan wrote a few post before.

Part of it is an issue with credit cards. CC will charge for a refund. Don't know about holds. For us they put a hold on the same cc while sending out the next one. The problem was getting them to send the projector and RMA. The first time took well over a week and then we contacted them again. Honestly, they seem really disorganized. When we first called about the W1070 & W1080ST it was as if we called a private home. Then a month later is seems as though they finally got some real customer service reps. . . I'm not too sure about BenQ's US operations lol

Back on the lumen issue. . .
Tracked down the Level 2 manual. It states 1600 lumen minimum for white. So?!?!? if we are getting 50% of the projectors shipping with 50% minimum lumen does that mean 800 lumen minimum for the unlucky sods? Could explain why some are saying they are getting about 1,000 lumen post calibration. . . Seems like a massive variance if this is the case.
post #4432 of 10421 Old 04-23-2013, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Part of it is an issue with credit cards. CC will charge for a refund. Don't know about holds. For us they put a hold on the same cc while sending out the next one. The problem was getting them to send the projector and RMA. The first time took well over a week and then we contacted them again. Honestly, they seem really disorganized. When we first called about the W1070 & W1080ST it was as if we called a private home. Then a month later is seems as though they finally got some real customer service reps. . . I'm not too sure about BenQ's US operations lol

Tracked down the Level 2 manual. It states 1600 lumen minimum for white. So?!?!? if we are getting 50% of the projectors shipping with 50% minimum lumen does that mean 800 lumen minimum for the unlucky sods? Could explain why some are saying they are getting about 1,000 lumen post calibration. . . Seems like a massive variance if this is the case.

They seemed like they were on the ball when I called and then again during an online chat. Like I said though, the only thing was that I had to bring up the exchange in lieu of sending mine in first.

On the lumens, I gotta believe that this is a serious misunderstanding. If they are shipping projectors that are rated at 2000 lumens and half of them are actually 1000 lumens, then that is a big ass problem of class action proportions.

I never used my meter to measure lumen output from the lens, only ftL from the screen. When I get the replacement though, I will.

post #4433 of 10421 Old 04-23-2013, 03:47 PM

Quote:

They seemed like they were on the ball when I called and then again during an online chat. Like I said though, the only thing was that I had to bring up the exchange in lieu of sending mine in first.

On the lumens, I gotta believe that this is a serious misunderstanding. If they are shipping projectors that are rated at 2000 lumens and half of them are actually 1000 lumens, then that is a big ass problem of class action proportions.

I never used my meter to measure lumen output from the lens, only ftL from the screen. When I get the replacement though, I will.

We've emailed the last customer service agent we dealt with about the lumen issue. . . if we don't hear from him within a couple days we'll call and find out specifics.
post #4434 of 10421 Old 04-23-2013, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:

Hi, CharlesZ7 . . .

12.2 Lamp Lifetime
1). Lamp hour = Total lamp hour= X(hours used in Normal
mode) + Y(hours used in Eco mode) + Z(hours used in
SmartEco mode)
Z= lamp life spec of SmartEco/lamp life spec of SmartEco
mode.
2). 50% of Projectors will have 50% Initial Minimum
Brightness

Quote:

The BenQ spec. means that when new, all of the W1070 projectors should have at least 1600 lumens (i.e, with a new lamp) and at the rated life time (after the number or houres listed as the life of the lamp for the mode you are using) then 50% of the projectors will have lost half of the original brightness (i..e., will still provide at least 1600/2 = 800 lumens minimum). This follows the industry standard for rating the life of a lamp as the point at which it drops to 50% of the original lumens output. The bottom line is all new W1070s should have at least 1600 lumens output in the brightest mode.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #4435 of 10421 Old 04-23-2013, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hey guys , FYI , newegg is out of stock as of 4:45pm PST. No more $899 deal. Naturally , I found this out when I went to their website to order mine , I was busy building my screen , got it hung on my wall and now I get to pay $100 more for not managing my time wisely.

“Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”---Mark Twain
post #4436 of 10421 Old 04-23-2013, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Lets hope that BenQ will stand behind their W1070 Projector, I had to send my first one back do to a handshake issue, so time will tell us.

Ralph
post #4437 of 10421 Old 04-23-2013, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

The BenQ spec. means that when new, all of the W1070 projectors should have at least 1600 lumens (i.e, with a new lamp) and at the rated life time (after the number or houres listed as the life of the lamp for the mode you are using) then 50% of the projectors will have lost half of the original brightness (i..e., will still provide at least 1600/2 = 800 lumens minimum). This follows the industry standard for rating the life of a lamp as the point at which it drops to 50% of the original lumens output. The bottom line is all new W1070s should have at least 1600 lumens output in the brightest mode.

Thanks for the clarification!!!

When you say "brightest mode" that really isn't just "normal" lamp mode but bumping everything up to get the brightest possible white image, correct? So, while one may ship with 1600 lumens max another may easily get 1800+ lumens? And this is just the luck of the draw thus the two reviews I linked to on the previous page, one of them got a brighter one than the other? Just as we've gotten — one bright one and two dimmer ones.

So, in reality we have a 400 lumen difference that we can expect? 1600 being the minimum a projector should ship with and 2000 being the maximum? And these numbers will play out with calibration and modes thus if you get one that maxes out at 1600 out of the box you may only be getting 1,000 or less in say cinema 2.2 gamma calibrated while one like projectorreviews got will be getting 1,700 post calibration?

In other words, we are really buying a 1600 lumen projector.

oh. . . is it normal to see new projectors get such a wide range in calibrated lumens like we see with projectorreviews Vs avforum (~1,100 Vs ~1,700) on this projector — that's a very big difference. We purchased this because of projectorreviews review and what the got for calibrated lumens. Being new to projectors we didn't think that there would be such a big difference if the product line — a ~55% difference is very significant.

thanks
post #4438 of 10421 Old 04-23-2013, 07:41 PM

Liked: 13
I believe that Art's numbers are with brilliant colour engaged. This might explain the measured differences.
post #4439 of 10421 Old 04-23-2013, 08:06 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote :
oh. . . is it normal to see new projectors get such a wide range in calibrated lumens like we see with projectorreviews Vs avforum (~1,100 Vs ~1,700) on this projector — that's a very big difference. We purchased this because of projectorreviews review and what the got for calibrated lumens. Being new to projectors we didn't think that there would be such a big difference if the product line — a ~55% difference is very significant.

AV forum is a UK based website maybe the discrepancy is because of the conversion from metric ? Seriously though , might there be a difference between European and U.S. manufacturing or material , or maybe because of the power supply difference between the locales? I wouldn't think it would make that large of a difference , but might contribute.

“Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”---Mark Twain
post #4440 of 10421 Old 04-23-2013, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acras13 View Post

Hey guys , FYI , newegg is out of stock as of 4:45pm PST. No more $899 deal. Naturally , I found this out when I went to their website to order mine , I was busy building my screen , got it hung on my wall and now I get to pay $100 more for not managing my time wisely.

Don't get discouraged. Keep checking this week as often as possible. They ran out of Acer H6510BD over the weekend. But, they had one or two, i think, back on Monday again. I grabbed the last one - $629 plus tax. Now they are sold out again.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page