BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$ - Page 149 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4441 of 10059 Old 04-23-2013, 08:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Ehh , not discouraged much , I'll probably end up buying from Amazon , not a big deal , the newegg deal expires on Thursday and I doubt if they'll have stock by then. I'm excited about it now I have my screen up , it puts the size in perspective behind my 50" plasma .

“Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”---Mark Twain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4442 of 10059 Old 04-24-2013, 02:24 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was going to order the Acer H6510BD from newegg as well but when they sold out i went with the benq at amazon. Should be here today hoping everything goes well!... I dunno what happen to my ml500 but the led went dim with 2000+ hours. Do you guys recommend any warrenty service? Plan on using this for everyday viewing.
post #4443 of 10059 Old 04-24-2013, 04:46 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Squaretrade is my opinion for best warranty, you can usually find a 30% off coupon and you get 3 years on new products.
nightnday likes this.
post #4444 of 10059 Old 04-24-2013, 07:00 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimoy View Post

I believe that Art's numbers are with brilliant colour engaged. This might explain the measured differences.

I picked the closest two settings between the two reviewers with BC off and the difference is still over 200 lumens. However, those are pre-calibrated on Art's site. I thought they were post calibration. However, Art is consistently getting over 200 more lumen out of the projector sent to him by BenQ vs the one avforum used (one purchased, I believe) — possible cherry picking of review projectors by BenQ? Anyways, Art's final post calibrated lumens is 1,700 — 600 lumen above avforums best lumen and I really doubt brilliant color will make up for all that. Finally, in our experience with three of these projectors there is a significant difference in brightness between one of them and the other two. IMHO I believe that two of them are 1600 lumen MAX and the other could reach the 2000 lumen rating. And this shows in some reviews now. All in all BenQ knows they are shipping 1600 lumen projectors as stated in their service manual which, btw, is not easy to find — IMHO these numbers should have been published in the user manual so customers could make a more informed decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acras13 View Post

Quote :
oh. . . is it normal to see new projectors get such a wide range in calibrated lumens like we see with projectorreviews Vs avforum (~1,100 Vs ~1,700) on this projector — that's a very big difference. We purchased this because of projectorreviews review and what the got for calibrated lumens. Being new to projectors we didn't think that there would be such a big difference if the product line — a ~55% difference is very significant.

AV forum is a UK based website maybe the discrepancy is because of the conversion from metric ? Seriously though , might there be a difference between European and U.S. manufacturing or material , or maybe because of the power supply difference between the locales? I wouldn't think it would make that large of a difference , but might contribute.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimoy View Post

I believe that Art's numbers are with brilliant colour engaged. This might explain the measured differences.

I believe they are all 'Made in China' and I would assume that they would adjust for power supply however, if that were the case we should see the brighter one in the UK, not the US. Nonetheless, we are still speaking about what BenQ is selling these as (2000 lumens) and what they clearly state they will ship with via their service manual (1600 lumens) — sure, some might get lucky and get ones that ship with more than 1600 lumens but that seems to be what they are stating, they should ship with a minimum of1600 lumens not 2000 lumens — that's a full white image maxing out settings to get max lumens, not a watchable image. So, if they know it's 1600, why is it being advertised as 2000? Because one out of a batch of thousands can get 2000 lumens?

I don't know. All I know is the three projectors we have received from BenQ. Out of those three one was nice and bright — bright enough to be considered a "living-room" projector — and the other two are noticeably dimmer — not bright enough to really be considered a "living-room" projector as they can handle very little ambient light and still be "watchable." If I knew we were purchasing a 1600 lumen projector. . . we would not have purchased it! Yes, I know companies play games with these numbers and that's why we waited for the first "professional" reviews which now seem to be reviews of "cherry picked" projectors by BenQ, IMHO.
post #4445 of 10059 Old 04-24-2013, 08:11 AM

Hey Guys- I've been reading since day one and just purchased the w1070 from Newegg. I have only played it for an hour or so on a 120" and have to say that the picture is beautiful with HD cable for starters so I'm excited about watching BD and 3D soon. The version I have is 1.04 so I'm a little bummed about that but after reading the threads I assumed that the different fan selections would result in different fan speeds? Not so here, Normal, Eco and Smart Eco seem to be running at the same speed, is this normal or going back?

Thanks
post #4446 of 10059 Old 04-24-2013, 08:18 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoll View Post

Hey Guys- I've been reading since day one and just purchased the w1070 from Newegg. I have only played it for an hour or so on a 120" and have to say that the picture is beautiful with HD cable for starters so I'm excited about watching BD and 3D soon. The version I have is 1.04 so I'm a little bummed about that but after reading the threads I assumed that the different fan selections would result in different fan speeds? Not so here, Normal, Eco and Smart Eco seem to be running at the same speed, is this normal or going back?

Thanks

The fan in our first two with firmware 1.04 ran at different speeds for the different lamp settings. Our current one with 1.05 has one speed for smarteco and another speed for everything else.

So, I would say that the fan running at the same speed for different modes is NOT normal.
post #4447 of 10059 Old 04-24-2013, 08:42 AM

That's what I thought. I'll have more time this weekend to play around and then check with BenQ, thanks.
post #4448 of 10059 Old 04-24-2013, 10:18 AM

Liked: 16
Mine was sitting on my door step this morning, and sadly I have to go to work soon. But coming from a 55" LCD tv all I can say is wow! really nice colors, etc. I probably should have went for a 100" or 110" screen over the 92" but this will do for now. I really have not had to much of a chance to play with all of the setting but this was a excellent upgrade for me.
post #4449 of 10059 Old 04-24-2013, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
The family and I watched The Life of Pi on Blu-ray non 3d version and wow what a great movie to run on this projector. I thought in terms of PQ it's one of the best I've seen on my Benq yet. Very sharp image and tons of beautiful scenes to enjoy the great colors from the W1070, great movie IMO also.

Disclaimer:
The words above are based on loose facts mixed with my opinion, the latter of which is subject to change.

Gamertag Morkaleb
PSN Archathema
post #4450 of 10059 Old 04-24-2013, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Picked one of these up a few days ago (Firmware V1.04); with my decision purely based on this thread (and a few reviews) and have been spending some quality time with it.

A few notes from personal experience that might assist others in their decision:
  • RBE: Rainbow Effect is a massive consideration for a DLP projector. I also discovered that this is something I'm pretty susceptible to. The W1070 turned out to be almost RBE-free for me: but NOT straight out of the box. Here's why: as mentioned a bit earlier in the thread (thanks, JaMiR!), the projector has a 3x mechanical (or 6x 'effective', since it contains two sets of RGB segments) color wheel. 6x is rather high (that's good for reducing RBE): but it turns out it does NOT run at this speed for all refresh rates!
    Plugging it straight into my OpenELEC-Running Raspberry Pi initially yielded more rainbow artifacts than I could bear. Remembering reading about the varying color-wheel speeds on this thread, I was relieved to find that when dropping to 1920x1080@50hz (rather than the default 1920x1080@60hz), the wheel audibly sped up (sounds a bit like a soft jet engine accelerating, when changing refresh rates with an ear to the fan vent), and my RBE woes were gone!
    The slightly lower refresh rate doesn't impact PQ and motion is still smooth (most video content is at a lower 24hz; and gaming at 50hz is still excellent: even 30fps is considered good in-game).

Hence if your source device allows you to change refresh rates (most devices should), you may want to start by dropping (or even increasing) to 50hz if you notice rainbows. I've found it almost impossible to detect them since.
    This might also explain why some reviewers have raved about the relative absence of RBE on this projector (compared to the competition) while others have said it's on par: they may be reviewing at different refresh rates. Still, try before you buy to make sure (if RBE is an issue for you) - and confirm the displayed refresh rate when you do so!
  • 2D PQ: This is excellent. Mild calibration yields a large, bright, good-looking picture in 2D; especially with 1080p content. 720p content is also great; with well-encoded SD looking OK and poorly encoded SD looking - well - poor. This is to be expected at the screen size, I guess: but for 2D viewing, you won't be disappointed. The only weakness lies with the projector's relatively average black levels (even when using SmartEco), despite decent shadow detailing. At the price point, this is considered a small compromise. Also note that although the projector's high lamp brightness allows a bit of ambient light to be present, any excess ambient light is going to hurt black levels further.
  • Fan Noise: This varies widely depending on lamp mode. Using 'Brilliant Color' and 'High Altitude' modes both on (which increase the fan speed) - and comparing it to my PS3 Slim, running on SmartEco sounds like the PS3 at idle (not particularly loud); while running at Normal or even Eco (!) modes is much louder; comparable to the PS3 under heavy load. The projector's position may make a difference here: if ceiling mounted, the noise may not matter. The fan is also louder on startup than it is after the device has found a source. I've left SmartEco on, which extends lamp life, produces some dynamic contrast and keeps fan noise low, at the expense of a bit of semi-noticeable modulated dimming when changing from a dark to a bright scene. It's well worth it, at least to me.
  • 3D Experience: Your mileage will vary, but this is the one area where I was a bit underwhelmed - for a few reasons. First, the projector's adherence to HDMI-related timing standards seriously hampers supported resolutions for 3D. Half-Resolution SBS rips, for example, are a no-no at 1080p: the standards dictate that 1080i is for SBS, with 1080p reserved for Top-Bottom (i.e. over-under or 'OU') rips only. Starting a 1080p Half-SBS rip at native resolution disables the SBS menu option, forcing you to change resolution to 1080i, thus lowering quality. (Note that this shouldn't be a problem for a blu-ray player playing 3D blu-rays since the player will frame-pack the 3D image automatically. It'll probably be an issue for an Xbox or HTPC, though). This is a far cry from, say, my LG 3D LED TV, which allows either SBS or OU at any resolution or refresh rate. I suspect I'll be re-ripping most of my 3D blu-rays just to support the projector.
    Nvidia's 3DTV-Play technology is even more restrictive, allowing 3D gaming from a PC at just two timings: 1080p@24hz, and 720p@60hz. The former looks good but isn't really suited for gaming (refresh rate is rather low for high-speed play); and the latter seems to be prone to rainbows, possibly due to the 60hz refresh rate. Lack of choice is always frustrating - and here especially, since you actually have to change your desktop refresh rate for some games if you don't use one of those two by default, along with the screen resolution in the game's settings. I tested using Arkham City, which, comparatively, looks beautiful on my 3D-Vision Dell-Laptop monitor at 1080p@120hz (60hz per eye), with no setting changes required.

Finally, the actual 3D experience on the projector is decent but a bit underwhelming too: the contrast ratio seems to suffer (possibly due to the glasses) - even after some calibration - and images aren't as punchy in 3D as they are in 2D: the loss in image fidelity from 2D to 3D is greater here than on the LG 3D LED TV (which uses lower-quality passive technology, but still looks better) for the same video.

I also noticed quite a bit of RBE using a natively-supported Top/Bottom 1080p rip running at 24hz on the projector. Even when taking off the glasses, RBE was pretty noticeable at this resolution/refresh-rate/3D-mode. If anyone knows how to improve this to 2D/50hz standards (JaMiR, maybe? wink.gif ), I'd be interested to hear!
    The glasses are also expensive; though they're almost flicker-free and there is no crosstalk. At all. The red hue that washes over the projected image in 3D-mode is part of the DLP-Link 3D standard and is eradicated completely by the glasses.

All In All: This is an excellent, keenly priced device that ticks all the important boxes for projection and produces a seriously impressive image; especially at the price. If the weak black levels and average 3D are not deal-breakers - and you've confirmed you don't see rainbows at 50hz - then order now.
acras13, Xtropy and Tommy Mang like this.

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

Helpful post? Click the 'Like' button!
post #4451 of 10059 Old 04-24-2013, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeturez View Post

Picked one of these up a few days ago (Firmware V1.04); with my decision purely based on this thread (and a few reviews) and have been spending some quality time with it.

A few notes from personal experience that might assist others in their decision:
  • RBE: Rainbow Effect is a massive consideration for a DLP projector. I also discovered that this is something I'm pretty susceptible to. The W1070 turned out to be almost RBE-free for me: but NOT straight out of the box. Here's why: as mentioned a bit earlier in the thread (thanks, JaMiR!), the projector has a 3x mechanical (or 6x 'effective', since it contains two sets of RGB segments) color wheel. 6x is rather high (that's good for reducing RBE): but it turns out it does NOT run at this speed for all refresh rates!
    Plugging it straight into my OpenELEC-Running Raspberry Pi initially yielded more rainbow artifacts than I could bear. Remembering reading about the varying color-wheel speeds on this thread, I was relieved to find that when dropping to 1920x1080@50hz (rather than the default 1920x1080@60hz), the wheel audibly sped up (sounds a bit like a soft jet engine accelerating, when changing refresh rates with an ear to the fan vent), and my RBE woes were gone!
    The slightly lower refresh rate doesn't impact PQ and motion is still smooth (most video content is at a lower 24hz; and gaming at 50hz is still excellent: even 30fps is considered good in-game).

You are right.
Here are the results:
1080p24 - 192Hz so effective color wheel speed - 3.2x (192Hz/60Hz=3.2)!!!!
1080p50 - 300Hz so effective color wheel speed - 5x (300Hz/60Hz=5).
1080p60 - 240Hz.so effective color wheel speed - 4x (240Hz/60Hz=4)

So, if you are RBE sensitive - use 1080p50Hz
post #4452 of 10059 Old 04-24-2013, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeturez View Post

Thanks for the review. What size screen are you using?

The above post is 100% medically accurate

31 Days of Horror:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4453 of 10059 Old 04-24-2013, 02:39 PM

not sure if anybody cared about my last post but I am finding myself happier with my w1070.
post #4454 of 10059 Old 04-24-2013, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by acras13 View Post

Quote :
oh. . . is it normal to see new projectors get such a wide range in calibrated lumens like we see with projectorreviews Vs avforum (~1,100 Vs ~1,700) on this projector — that's a very big difference. We purchased this because of projectorreviews review and what the got for calibrated lumens. Being new to projectors we didn't think that there would be such a big difference if the product line — a ~55% difference is very significant.

AV forum is a UK based website maybe the discrepancy is because of the conversion from metric ? Seriously though , might there be a difference between European and U.S. manufacturing or material , or maybe because of the power supply difference between the locales? I wouldn't think it would make that large of a difference , but might contribute.

There can also easily be a 10%, or more, difference in measurements depending on which specific light meter is being used to make the measurements. That's why you can more easily trust a comparison in lumens measurements between two projectors made by the same tester as compared to lumens results from two different testers (i.e., using different meters and/or different measurement techniques).. Also a given model of lamp can have 10% or more variation from unit to unit and that variation will frequently include a difference in the color spectrum (e.g., red may be stronger or weaker in one lamp vs. another).

Also for Art's number vs. others that have been published, The PR review of the W1070 says about the calibrated lumens measurement:

"That is rather exceptional brightness. Keep in mind Brilliant Color is engaged, so technically, you can have a better picture with BC off, but with essentially the same color balance."

acras13 likes this.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #4455 of 10059 Old 04-24-2013, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by velconti View Post

You are right.
Here are the results:
1080p24 - 192Hz so effective color wheel speed - 3.2x (192Hz/60Hz=3.2)!!!!
1080p50 - 300Hz so effective color wheel speed - 5x (300Hz/60Hz=5).
1080p60 - 240Hz.so effective color wheel speed - 4x (240Hz/60Hz=4)

So, if you are RBE sensitive - use 1080p50Hz

So what input signal produces the claimed effective 6X speed?

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #4456 of 10059 Old 04-24-2013, 03:17 PM
Advanced Member

@velconti:
Interesting indeed! Also interesting is that most blu-ray players will output 24p natively; meaning viewers expecting the best level of quality (straight from a blu-ray) will actually be hit most severely by RBE, if they're sensitive! (Presumably, refresh rate can be overridden on some blu-ray players; though I wonder how many users know to do this...)
It would almost make sense for the projector to have a built-in 'RBE-Reducer' mode to rescale all input to 50hz, now that I think about it! smile.gif

This also explains why I'm picking up rainbows in 3D mode @ 24hz, but not at all in 2D mode @ 50hz. When I listen, it sounds like the color wheel speed does change when setting the projector to 3D mode: do you know what the speeds are in 3D mode? Or if there are any refresh rate settings (compatible with a top/bottom 3D movie) that maximize effective wheel-speed in 3D? My guess would've obviously been 50hz, but unfortunately none of the 3D options seem to be available at all at that refresh rate frown.gif (another reason why the timing limits in 3D mode are irritating! )
EDIT: After some experimentation, I've found that if I drop the resolution down to 1440x900 (still 16:9), I get the (sole) refresh rate option of 60hz; which offers me both SBS and Top/Bottom 3D modes in the projector's menu. (Incidentally, this resolution is not on the list of supported timings in the manual). 60hz does improve 3D RBE compared to 1080p@24hz, but it's still not as good as 50hz. (50hz is unavailable at any resolution for the 3D menu to be active, it seems.) This is better - but not great: and I've lost a lot resolution...

@wizzack:
It's not permanently mounted yet, but current image size is about 120" from around 3 meters away. And it's a good, clear, bright image indeed: even if I point it straight at the white wall biggrin.gif . In 2D mode, this is unbeatable. The projector's short throw-distance also suits my rather small room very nicely.

@Ron Jones:
That's the funny thing: I don't see 6x being 'officially' claimed anywhere; at least not by BenQ (although I've heard that a BenQ technical manual mentions this somewhere though I haven't seen it myself)... Somehow, this projector is just 'known' for it's faster-than-normal wheel speed. And at 2D/50hz, I'd say they're onto something. Just wish I could find a 3D mode that I could say the same for...

BenQ W1070 Projector; Xtreamer Ultra 2 (running XBMC on OpenELEC) via Sony STR-DH540 AVR with Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS SE 5.1 Audio. MediaBrowser3 for Mobile Streaming.

post #4457 of 10059 Old 04-24-2013, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

So what input signal produces the claimed effective 6X speed?

It will be difficult to explain due to my poor english, but I'll try:
When we want to measure "color wheel speed" we should do it for 60Hz input signal. So "6x color wheel speed" projectors have 360Hz refresh rate.

BUT, if you take 50Hz input signal "as the basis" for calculations, then pj that have:
1) 300Hz refresh rate - will have 6x color wheel speed (300Hz/50=6)
2) 360Hz refresh rate - will have 7,2x color wheel speed (360Hz/50=7,2)

However, this method of calculation is not quite correct...it's just for marketing purpose.
So, which method do you prefer?wink.gif

P.S. maybe Benq will improve the situation in future firmware or you can buy w7000 (which have 360Hz - for 1080p60 and 288Hz for 1080p24)
post #4458 of 10059 Old 04-24-2013, 06:23 PM

Hi Kreeturez,

Long time lurker (10 yrs or so), first time poster here.

Not sure if anyone mentioned this before but I don't have an issue with 3D and 1080i/60Hz. I have a Mede8er MED1000X3D and it converts seemlessly to Frame Packing. In fact, I don't even have to change the projector mode to 3D, the media player take care of it.

I have the W1070 since early Jan and currently projecting it to a 170" screen. It's perfect for 2D and a bit dim for 3D but quite usable.
post #4459 of 10059 Old 04-24-2013, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdaveofkc View Post

Squaretrade is my opinion for best warranty, you can usually find a 30% off coupon and you get 3 years on new products.

thanks friend would i just select misc electronics for that i dont see coverage for projectors anywhere pretty much a noob at this and want to protect my investment hehe...
post #4460 of 10059 Old 04-24-2013, 09:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightnday View Post

thanks friend would i just select misc electronics for that i dont see coverage for projectors anywhere pretty much a noob at this and want to protect my investment hehe...

Yes you use Misc. Electronics and enter the purchase amount (up to $999.99).

Once you have purchased the plan you can then go in and identify exactly what it is under "My Plans" (even enter the serial number) and send/e-mail them a copy of your receipt, this way should you need to use the service the process will be much faster.

Jason
nightnday likes this.

My Twitch Game Stream [PS4/Xone/PC]...

post #4461 of 10059 Old 04-25-2013, 01:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petabb View Post

Hi Kreeturez,

Long time lurker (10 yrs or so), first time poster here.

Not sure if anyone mentioned this before but I don't have an issue with 3D and 1080i/60Hz. I have a Mede8er MED1000X3D and it converts seemlessly to Frame Packing. In fact, I don't even have to change the projector mode to 3D, the media player take care of it.

Glad I could be the first to get you to speak up! :-D (though I've lurked for a long time here as we'll!)
Thanks for the info! 1080i is a bit of an issue for the pi (running OpenELEC); as interlaced modes don't appear unless there's no supported progressive equivalent. (I.e.: it would only display 1080i as available if it detected that the output device supports 1080i but NOT 1080p). I'll try force it (there is a way, though its a bit time-consuming) and see what happens. As above, my experience at 60hz regarding RBE is definitely better than at 24hz (as velconti's calculations indicate), but not up to 50hz 2D standards...

When your media player frame packs for you, what resolution and refresh rate does it output to the projector at? (Hit 'Info' on the remote while its playing to see, if you don't mind?) Or is 1080i/60Hz the actual output you're referring to?

post #4462 of 10059 Old 04-25-2013, 01:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post

My Red Green approved W1070 Mount. Works great. Just needs a little sanding and some black paint...and duct tape.
Hi-end hi-tech patented features:
1) Primary platform provides horizontal indexing for proper perpendicular alignment.
2) Elevated resting platform with optic optimization access panel (zoom & focus adjustment).
3) Variable anglular tilting mechanism (scrap of thin wood) to provide just enough image lift for wide screen zooming.
4) Localized black hole to absorb stray vent photons (velvet tacked to the ceiling).
5) Integral sound reduction engineering (the shelf itself provides some sound blocking for seats below).

A bit of a pain that the control panel is flush with the top of the projector. Used a thin strip of wood on either side to raise it off the shelf.
You can see my 72mm Hoya ND2 sitting nicely inside the lens housing.
With the filter in place this projector is close to perfect for my viewing needs.

Gotta keep those "vent photons" under control. Nice work btw. smile.gif
post #4463 of 10059 Old 04-25-2013, 02:12 AM

Quote:

With the filter in place this projector is close to perfect for my viewing needs.

I find a 67mm filter sits too far in. Hard to get out easily. It looks like your 72mm filter actually protrudes out somewhat. Is that a correct assumption ?
post #4464 of 10059 Old 04-25-2013, 04:38 AM

Hi everyone,

bought this cheap ND2 filter

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/72mm-72-mm-ND-2-ND2-Neutral-Density-plexiglass-Filter-/280637720300?pt=Camera_Filters&hash=item41574fc6ec#ht_2094wt_1398

i´m not sure but i think it is not plexiglass filter, it seems like plastic. When i placed it in the Benq it melted a litlle and created some distorted image.

Is this normal with plexiglass?? Did some of you bought this filter too?

thanks
post #4465 of 10059 Old 04-25-2013, 05:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayweil View Post

I find a 67mm filter sits too far in. Hard to get out easily. It looks like your 72mm filter actually protrudes out somewhat. Is that a correct assumption ?

What you need is a 67mm to 72mm step up ring and a 72mm filter
post #4466 of 10059 Old 04-25-2013, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamd View Post

What you need is a 67mm to 72mm step up ring and a 72mm filter

LOL. Listened to another poster's advice and bought the 67mm. Only to find more advice later about the 67mm step-up ring!
post #4467 of 10059 Old 04-25-2013, 06:26 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 34
Quote:

So the 72mm filter just fits perfectly inside the lens housing? No adapter, no sanding, no glue, no tape, no nothing?

post #4468 of 10059 Old 04-25-2013, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman_Mike View Post

So the 72mm filter just fits perfectly inside the lens housing? No adapter, no sanding, no glue, no tape, no nothing?

On my Benq the 72mm filter (Hoya brand) is ever so slightly bigger than the lens housing. Also my 67-72mm stepup adapter doesn't work. I'm guessing the one I bought isn't deep enough on the 67mm end to set into the lens housing. So I would ask those who have had luck with the adapter which one they bought as in my case not all do. I think I have a solution for mine I might work on it today before work.

Disclaimer:
The words above are based on loose facts mixed with my opinion, the latter of which is subject to change.

Gamertag Morkaleb
PSN Archathema
post #4469 of 10059 Old 04-25-2013, 07:26 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morkeleb View Post

On my Benq the 72mm filter (Hoya brand) is ever so slightly bigger than the lens housing. Also my 67-72mm stepup adapter doesn't work. I'm guessing the one I bought isn't deep enough on the 67mm end to set into the lens housing. So I would ask those who have had luck with the adapter which one they bought as in my case not all do. I think I have a solution for mine I might work on it today before work.

Just want to make sure how he did it. I've seen quite a few say they used a 67-72mm step up ring with the 72mm filter, so that's most likely what I'll do, but since david didn't mention using a ring, just wanted to double check.

I'm gonna probably buy today for Saturday delivery from Amazon. Might as well practice on my old PJ instead of the new one, just in case the ring or filter damages the housing in anyway, since it isn't really made to attach a filter.

post #4470 of 10059 Old 04-25-2013, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman_Mike View Post

Just want to make sure how he did it. I've seen quite a few say they used a 67-72mm step up ring with the 72mm filter, so that's most likely what I'll do, but since david didn't mention using a ring, just wanted to double check.

I'm gonna probably buy today for Saturday delivery from Amazon. Might as well practice on my old PJ instead of the new one, just in case the ring or filter damages the housing in anyway, since it isn't really made to attach a filter.

I use a metal 67-72mm adapter (step up) ring with a 72mm metal/glass ND2-ND400 variable filter. You can basically screw the entire attachment into the BenQ lens (no threads - it fits pretty well) and protrudes a little bit from the top/down. See pic.

Personally - I think glass/metal works best - - you don't have to worry about any heat issues. Some folks have used a silicone adhesive to attach to the projector, itself, but I find it just as easy to "unscrew" the entire assembly from the PJ as opposed to trying to unscrew the filter from the adapter - - as it fits pretty tight.

Home Theater Setup
Samsung UN65ES8000 LCD/LED
BenQ W1080ST Projector
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp)
Wyred4Sound MMC-7 Channel Amplifier, 221wpc
OPPO 103, Directv GENIE
Darbee Darblet
ALL Paradigm - 7.1 - Studio 60's, V.2 (FL/FR)
CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS)
MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread - W1070 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page