BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$ - Page 151 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4501 of 9886 Old 04-27-2013, 12:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Sorry to bother everyone , I didn't think to look in the "downloads" section of the benq info page , found thi info I was looking for . 2.67" .

“Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”---Mark Twain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4502 of 9886 Old 04-27-2013, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamd View Post

Painting your walls will help picture quality but will not reduce the hotspot. If you reduce the brightness it will help. I get the same thing looks like sparkles. I use an nd2 filter and that reduced it to wear I never see it anymore.
Thanks. I know reducing brigtness will help but I'd rather leave my settings as it is, don't wanna throw off my calibration. I have lamp set to Economic, brigtness at 50 and contrast at 53 for anything RGB based.

I'll look into an ND2 filter but am worried I may lose sharpness with them, with it having to pass through another piece of glass.

post #4503 of 9886 Old 04-27-2013, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Burton View Post

Thanks. I know reducing brigtness will help but I'd rather leave my settings as it is, don't wanna throw off my calibration. I have lamp set to Economic, brigtness at 50 and contrast at 53 for anything RGB based.

I'll look into an ND2 filter but am worried I may lose sharpness with them, with it having to pass through another piece of glass.

I don't notice any sharpness loss with mine, it's glass. I use eco with 55 contrast with 2.2 gamma with a nd2 filter, but I also have a 92 1.2 gain screen so yours might be a little dim with the nd2. You may need to step up to smart eco or raise contrast.
post #4504 of 9886 Old 04-27-2013, 02:31 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by acras13 View Post

Sorry to bother everyone , I didn't think to look in the "downloads" section of the benq info page , found thi info I was looking for . 2.67" .
actually;) 2.6295276
post #4505 of 9886 Old 04-27-2013, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanab View Post

actually;) 2.6295276
LOL , well , since my walls aren't THAT straight , I'm thinking I can go 2 9/16" or 2 5/8" and be sitting pretty. My temp screen is on a french cleat so I can slide it a tiny bit and get everything prime. Thanks for figuring out what the hell I was trying to ask.

“Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”---Mark Twain
post #4506 of 9886 Old 04-27-2013, 06:01 PM
GCS
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Anyone have any experience comparing this projector to a Benq W6000?

Wouldn't mind dipping into the 3D pool a little (especially based on this projector's price) but do not want to sacrifice 2D picture quality and brightness.

This would be in a family room that has light control but we always have several lights on in the room since it is a multipurpose room.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Greg

XBL Gamertag - blowfish7494

"Pull up your big boy pants and deal with it" - The Wife!

"Put on your man suit and fake it" - The Wife

post #4507 of 9886 Old 04-27-2013, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCS View Post

Anyone have any experience comparing this projector to a Benq W6000?

Wouldn't mind dipping into the 3D pool a little (especially based on this projector's price) but do not want to sacrifice 2D picture quality and brightness.

This would be in a family room that has light control but we always have several lights on in the room since it is a multipurpose room.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Greg
Why would you think a projector with 3D would hurt the 2D quality?
post #4508 of 9886 Old 04-27-2013, 07:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

Why would you think a projector with 3D would hurt the 2D quality?

I thought he meant he didn't want to sacrifice his current level of 2D quality just to get 3d.
post #4509 of 9886 Old 04-27-2013, 07:58 PM
GCS
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyad View Post

I thought he meant he didn't want to sacrifice his current level of 2D quality just to get 3d.

Correct.

I also don't want to sacrifice brightness. I can afford to lose a few lumens but not several hundred since I use this in a family room and a dedicated cave.

XBL Gamertag - blowfish7494

"Pull up your big boy pants and deal with it" - The Wife!

"Put on your man suit and fake it" - The Wife

post #4510 of 9886 Old 04-27-2013, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
In an earlier posting stated that a Good calibration should be done when the projector has aged around 200 hours or so: The below link will verify my thinking on the calibration this is of course FYI.

http://www.projectorreviews.com/1080p-projector/calibration.php

Ralph
post #4511 of 9886 Old 04-28-2013, 05:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Burton View Post

At least from my experience - - absolutely no sharpness is lost with a quality ND2 filter. Now - my situation might be a little different because I am using the Darbee Darblet (the real answer for "sharpness" for a projector) and I have the W1080ST that is only 66" from a 100" Diagonal 1.3 gain screen.

But a good ND2 filter shouldn't affect the sharpness - - IMHO. Brightness - - yes, but the trade off is much better blacks and to my surprise - - an improvement in color saturation and luminance.

Lastly - - I have a dual setup - - 65" LCD/LED and a Projector for movies. The content from my Directv satellite is superb on my LED set - - but not as good with the projector. Where my PJ really shines is with Bluray material - - the sharpness (with the Darblet) and ND2 filter nearly rivals my LCD/LED - which is amazing to me considering the price point of the BenQ. You can clearly see the pores on the actor's faces - - very fine detail for such a large picture size. Amazing!

Home Theater Setup
Samsung UN65ES8000 LCD/LED
BenQ W1080ST Projector
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp)
Wyred4Sound MMC-7 Channel Amplifier, 221wpc
OPPO 103, Directv GENIE
Darbee Darblet
ALL Paradigm - 7.1 - Studio 60's, V.2 (FL/FR)
CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS)
MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub
post #4512 of 9886 Old 04-28-2013, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Same here. Direct TV still looks great. Just not as sharp as on my 59" plasma. Bluray looks superb. I contribute it to the image size and compression on the satellite source.

Xbox One Gamertag = The Barbeerian

PS4 PSNID = The-Barbeerian
post #4513 of 9886 Old 04-28-2013, 06:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Hi,

been really looking at this projector to replace the TV in my family room. I only have two options, could you maybe help me out with which one may be the best?

1. a small shelf right behind the MLP couch 11' 7" away from the wall/screen, which would give me 130" of picture. But the unit would sit just a couple of feet away from our heads (is this going to be too loud?) We listen at low levels due to a baby in the house, usually -40db to -50 db. Some reviewers say it is a loud unit...

2. on a table in front of the couch which would be about 6-7 ft from the wall giving me 85-90" at best. The concern here would be the projector interfering with the center channel, as it would be stitting roughly at the same level...though 4 feet in front of it.

Mounting it on the ceiling is troublesome at best, as it is a rented apartment, so no cabling or socket up there, and do not want to run cables up the wall.

Are there any viable wireless options?

Thanks!
post #4514 of 9886 Old 04-28-2013, 06:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by McStyvie View Post

Hi,

been really looking at this projector to replace the TV in my family room. I only have two options, could you maybe help me out with which one may be the best?

1. a small shelf right behind the MLP couch 11' 7" away from the wall/screen, which would give me 130" of picture. But the unit would sit just a couple of feet away from our heads (is this going to be too loud?) We listen at low levels due to a baby in the house, usually -40db to -50 db. Some reviewers say it is a loud unit...

2. on a table in front of the couch which would be about 6-7 ft from the wall giving me 85-90" at best. The concern here would be the projector interfering with the center channel, as it would be stitting roughly at the same level...though 4 feet in front of it.

Mounting it on the ceiling is troublesome at best, as it is a rented apartment, so no cabling or socket up there, and do not want to run cables up the wall.

Are there any viable wireless options?

Thanks!

Not sure about wireless options for power (but options for wireless HDMI are out there) but look at the companion to this projector (same manual) - the W1080ST - short throw. I get a 100" Diagonal screen and I'm only 66" (sixty-six inches) from my screen.

Based on your "throw" distance - six or seven feet from the wall - - you could get a 110" to 130" screen size with the W1080ST - comfortably (mid point measurement). And it should not interfere with you center speaker - - unless you have it really high up.

Home Theater Setup
Samsung UN65ES8000 LCD/LED
BenQ W1080ST Projector
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp)
Wyred4Sound MMC-7 Channel Amplifier, 221wpc
OPPO 103, Directv GENIE
Darbee Darblet
ALL Paradigm - 7.1 - Studio 60's, V.2 (FL/FR)
CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS)
MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub
post #4515 of 9886 Old 04-28-2013, 08:24 AM

For wireless power you'd gave to channel the spirit of Nikola Tesla to complete his work in the field. The problem with that is no one had reached his level of genius since his passing so the dream of wireless power distribution eludes us. Have you looked at wiremold products? A raceway that you run on the surface (wall, ceiling) and you can run power and signal through it. The two ( power and signal) have to be separated , but wiremold makes raceway with a divider to handle that. It's paintable and would only require you to anchor it with plastic expanding anchors, so patching the holes when you move would be a breeze. I'd available at HD and Lowes, and probably most hardware stores as well. http://www.legrand.us/search.aspx?q=wiremold , look through the product categories on the right of the page.

post #4516 of 9886 Old 04-28-2013, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Thanks for the replies!

definitely was talking about wireless HDMI. There IS a light on the ceiling, I could probably have an electrician turn it into a socket and then run wireless HDMI, but don't want to be stuck with a dodgy HDMI connection and then have to run an HDMI up the wall after all...

The 1080st looks sweet, but it isn't even out here in Europe yet, and no release date foreseeable...though they promise we will have it at some point. Since my LR is quite large, I am not too concerned about the ST it offers though.

Can anyone answer if the fan is too loud on the unit if I were to sit two feet away from it?

I am considering hanging it from the ceiling after all, as doing the measurements from the calculator page, the table option puts it right in front of my center channel, which sits at 2.5feet high, and my towers at 3ft 7 inches. The unit would have to sit at roughly the same level as my center speaker to be able to project over it...which essentially blocks it.
post #4517 of 9886 Old 04-28-2013, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by McStyvie View Post

Can anyone answer if the fan is too loud on the unit if I were to sit two feet away from it?
I sit almost directly underneath mine, with about 4ft of clearance and it doesn't bother me. Once all five speakers and the sub are going it is hard to pick out, ymmv of course.
post #4518 of 9886 Old 04-28-2013, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 34
Tried the ND2 filter. Don't want to discourage others from trying it if they wish, but I found it to be horrid lol. Oh well.

In better news, the replacement PJ has been great. I know that my old one has around 500hrs, but this PJ seems a little brighter, even when the old one was new. Just going of memory though. Picture noise is also a little better I think. Focus is just as uniform as the last.

Overall, very happy with the replacement thus far (knock on wood).

post #4519 of 9886 Old 04-28-2013, 11:44 AM

Hoping that someone may have a solution for this

Got my 1070 4 months agog and everythings been great. Except one slightly nagging problem. When I turn my 1070 on, I have to plug and unplug the hdmi cord into the projector for my ps3 for it to be detected. I have switched hdmi inputs and still have the same issue. I there a solution for this?

I have used 3 different cords with the same effects.

I also have my pc plugged in via hdmi, and I don't have problem with that. It comes right up.
post #4520 of 9886 Old 04-28-2013, 01:53 PM

Liked: 11
dantadow,
What firmware are you running you should be 1.04 and what type of HDMI cable do you have recommend HDMI with Ethernet type seem to work better.
post #4521 of 9886 Old 04-28-2013, 03:57 PM
RTK
AVS Special Member

placement question....

is there a downside to placing the 1070 closer to the screen?

looking at the projector calculator,

http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ-W1070-projection-calculator-pro.htm?add=7265

to have a 100" diagonal screen, it appears the throw distance would need to be at ~9.5 feet, which is colored coded as red. is there any significance to the color coding, ie is there a particular downside? Also, is there a downside to using the lens zoom to shorten up the throw distance to closer to 9 feet?

thanks

Rick
post #4522 of 9886 Old 04-28-2013, 04:43 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTK View Post

placement question....

is there a downside to placing the 1070 closer to the screen?

looking at the projector calculator,

http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ-W1070-projection-calculator-pro.htm?add=7265

to have a 100" diagonal screen, it appears the throw distance would need to be at ~9.5 feet, which is colored coded as red. is there any significance to the color coding, ie is there a particular downside? Also, is there a downside to using the lens zoom to shorten up the throw distance to closer to 9 feet?

thanks

Staying in the Red is very good when the projector is installed in ambient light conditions, such as mine installed in a family room. Installed at 9'2", I use the max for a 110" screen as well as the min for a 84" screen (with the screen partially retracted to clear the fireplace when in use). I've not detected a downside to this install at present.
acras13 likes this.

post #4523 of 9886 Old 04-28-2013, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman_Mike View Post

Tried the ND2 filter. Don't want to discourage others from trying it if they wish, but I found it to be horrid lol. Oh well.

In better news, the replacement PJ has been great. I know that my old one has around 500hrs, but this PJ seems a little brighter, even when the old one was new. Just going of memory though. Picture noise is also a little better I think. Focus is just as uniform as the last.

Overall, very happy with the replacement thus far (knock on wood).

If you don't mind, horrid in what way? The filter idea is on my radar for fine tuning once I get my PJ and would appreciate your take on it.

post #4524 of 9886 Old 04-28-2013, 05:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acras13 View Post

If you don't mind, horrid in what way? The filter idea is on my radar for fine tuning once I get my PJ and would appreciate your take on it.

Like I said, I don't want to discourage anyone from trying. I just didn't experience what others say they did.

The blacks got slightly better but the whites were noticeably grayer. The colors didn't pop. I actually experienced the opposite. Everything was quite muted. Just gave the image a very dull look. It was basically like watching TV with 3d glasses on but without the 3d.

In a totally blacked out room it might be of benefit. I did try it with all the lights out and didn't like it with that either, but I don't have black walls, floor, and ceiling.

Bottom line for me was the very slight improvement in blacks weren't worth the trade off in overall dimness, muted colors, and overall gloomy look of the image.

To each their own though.

On a positive note, the hoya 72mm filter and metal 67mm-72mm step up ring fit very well without doing anything but applying a small amount of pressure and screwing it in as if it was made to screw in, even though it isn't.
acras13 likes this.

post #4525 of 9886 Old 04-28-2013, 05:41 PM
RTK
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeroJ View Post

Staying in the Red is very good when the projector is installed in ambient light conditions, such as mine installed in a family room. Installed at 9'2", I use the max for a 110" screen as well as the min for a 84" screen (with the screen partially retracted to clear the fireplace when in use). I've not detected a downside to this install at present.

That's great to hear. Also, thanks for the picture of your setup. Can I ask how far above or below your projector is relative to the top of the screen? Like to keep my projector as high on ceiling as possible but understand lens shift limitation

Rick
post #4526 of 9886 Old 04-28-2013, 05:46 PM

Thanks Mike , differing opinions are what make these forums useful , at least to me . I'm always skeptical when I never hear any of the negatives on any product. Sounds like the filter might not be the way to go for me either , PJ is going in my livingroom , high ambient light during the day , lots of light colors and reflective surfaces , and I'm not going to turn my living room into a cave , even though I can ( benefit of the single life).

post #4527 of 9886 Old 04-28-2013, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontadow View Post

Hoping that someone may have a solution for this

Got my 1070 4 months agog and everythings been great. Except one slightly nagging problem. When I turn my 1070 on, I have to plug and unplug the hdmi cord into the projector for my ps3 for it to be detected. I have switched hdmi inputs and still have the same issue. I there a solution for this?

I have used 3 different cords with the same effects.

I also have my pc plugged in via hdmi, and I don't have problem with that. It comes right up.

There have been some issues with the ps3 maintaining the initial video settings, of the first time a connection setup was done. You might try connecting the pj, and then go into the video setup options, redoing those again and see if that helps?
post #4528 of 9886 Old 04-28-2013, 07:29 PM

Hi guys,

I looking at getting this projector and I was wondering, judging from this picture that this setup would make sense? I know it's not the largest screen but it's still bigger and cheaper than a LED Panel.

http://oi42.tinypic.com/u1wgo.jpg

Not sure if this is enough info but I guess it's a starting point.

Thanks in advanced,

Xam
post #4529 of 9886 Old 04-28-2013, 07:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post

Stuntman: You have a 110" diagonal Da-lite 2.4 gain screen and you find the ND2 filter too dim? Projector Central says you are pushing close to 60fl. Wow!
You and I are at opposite ends of the spectrum. I have a 130" diagonal AT screen with a gain of about 1.0 and love the ND2. I'm in a black velvet bat cave sitting 9.5' back.
I have flipped the filter off and on with all different scenes and almost always prefer it filtered.
This forum is a great place to learn but as always nothing beats seeing things with your own eyes.
Shine on! smile.gif

Measured about 56ftL on a 10%, 100 IRE white window, but I don't think I'm seeing quite that from my seating level. Brightness on a PJ is different than brightness on a TV though. I never had any problems watching my plasma with the lights on and it maxed out at about 33ftL in THX mode. I'd never watch my PJ with the same lighting as the TV even though its considerably brighter. This new PJ is even brighter than the last and I'm thankful for it lol.

It isn't the loss of brightness that's the problem for me though. It was still acceptable in terms of brightness with the filter. It just made the image dull. Not dull just because it was dimmer, but dull because it looked less saturated, white was no longer white, and there is like a darker tint to everything. Its like wearing shades which common sense told me it would be, I just thought that the benefit to black floor might make the trade off worth it. When I would demo an all black screen, black bars, or dark content, and place the lens on and take it off to compare, the improvement in black floor was pretty minimal. Just couldn't justify the dull image for such a small improvement. At least in my living room with light gray walls, light hard wood floors, and light gray ceiling.

Maybe if I had your setup it'd be different. I don't know, but not doing it for me now is all I know lol.

post #4530 of 9886 Old 04-28-2013, 08:11 PM
Advanced Member

Wanted to be fair. I tried the filter on my old PJ because I didn't want to take the chance of scuffing the housing on the new one. Tried it on the new one though to give it another shot.

Probably because the lamp is new and also brighter than the other PJ even when it was new, but it looks better on this PJ than the old. Not looking muted. Looks dimmer but not nearly as muted. Blacks look like they improve a bit more on this one as well. Then again, when there is a black screen on, it looks a little blacker than the old one anyway, I noticed. Don't know why that is.

In any event, it isn't horrid anymore but still not great for everything. When watching game of thrones or red widow, it added a nice darkening of the image without losing too much pop. Switching to the basketball game on TV however was a different story. Makes it look like they forgot to pay the light bill at the arena.

I'll continue to try it on other things. Might turn out that I'll use it when watching dark SciFi or something and at no other time. Also have to see how it holds up when the lamp dims. For now, its under consideration for dark material and all lights off. I'll see how it goes.

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread - W1070 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page