BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$ - Page 153 - AVS Forum
First ... 151  152  153 154  155  ... Last
Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP > BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$
Stuntman_Mike's Avatar Stuntman_Mike 02:24 PM 04-30-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayweil View Post

Of course I am not SERIOUS! Sometimes I get sick of people comparing $1000 projector with a non-existent 120" you-beaut screen.

Don't remember that ever happening, but ok.

acras13's Avatar acras13 04:43 PM 04-30-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayweil View Post

Of course I am not SERIOUS! Sometimes I get sick of people comparing $1000 projector with a non-existent 120" you-beaut screen.

Yea , because no one who doesn't have an above average grasp of display technology ever comes into the forums , so HOW could someone be serious about that question? Now , if you could point out where someone compared the two technologies in the context of your comment? I didn't see it as a " you could get a $1000 PJ or get an OLED " statement . Commenting on the fact that OLED exists is a lot different than you are trying to make the statement out to be .
DaGamePimp's Avatar DaGamePimp 05:04 PM 04-30-2013
Guys, let's put a clamp on the bickering and not derail the thread. wink.gif

Thank you,
Jason
TropMonk's Avatar TropMonk 05:12 PM 04-30-2013
Stuntman_Mike: You should really checkout some of the nice HC Grayscreens, You've never seen a Firehawk? For the most part I believe that some sort of slight grayscreen is great for a great deal of home theater environments. Having a projection surface that helps cut down on the ambient light reflection helps a lot even in semi light controlled environments.

Then there are the Screen Innovations Black Diamond type screens, they are quite amazing. I can hold a flashlight up to my Black diamond shining on it from above or below the screen and the dot almost disappears. When I bring the flashlight in front of the screen pointing right at it the dot of light is amplified (I have the 1.4 screen). It helps keep the image clean from light scatter and ambient light.
Stuntman_Mike's Avatar Stuntman_Mike 05:35 PM 04-30-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by TropMonk View Post

Stuntman_Mike: You should really checkout some of the nice HC Grayscreens, You've never seen a Firehawk? For the most part I believe that some sort of slight grayscreen is great for a great deal of home theater environments. Having a projection surface that helps cut down on the ambient light reflection helps a lot even in semi light controlled environments.

Then there are the Screen Innovations Black Diamond type screens, they are quite amazing. I can hold a flashlight up to my Black diamond shining on it from above or below the screen and the dot almost disappears. When I bring the flashlight in front of the screen pointing right at it the dot of light is amplified (I have the 1.4 screen). It helps keep the image clean from light scatter and ambient light.

Never seen them in person, no. I have researched the firehawk and black Diamond screens and they do seem cool.

In general though, I'd prefer a white screen to gray. No better blacks, but no gray whites and no color shift, although I know you could calibrate to compensate for the gray color shift.

I'd rather spend more money on an expensive PJ with great blacks than use that money to buy an expensive gray screen. I do appreciate their benefits, but that's just me.
TropMonk's Avatar TropMonk 05:43 PM 04-30-2013
Don't knock it till you test one out!

rayweil's Avatar rayweil 07:59 PM 04-30-2013
Ricoflashback's Avatar Ricoflashback 08:24 PM 04-30-2013
Quote:

Looks nice! How about some dark shots - - variation. Is that a Bluray shot? Can you show a cable/satellite pic?
bdunn13's Avatar bdunn13 09:11 PM 04-30-2013
I have been waiting on an Amazon price drop which seems slow coming. I was looking for something in the recent Newegg price range...

However, there are some on Amazon (marketplace) refurbished for pretty cheap....

Anyone have any idea on picking one of these up refurbished?

Thanks,
Brad
vagos1103gr1's Avatar vagos1103gr1 11:11 PM 04-30-2013
Do you have anybody the same problem with me? I can't fit my pj to be square on my screen. It's on the ceiling but I can't make it to be on all 4 corners equal. These is not very big problem watching movie only on the desktop of my pc. Do you think is not center the pj on the screen or the screen is not straight? Anybody had similar problem on the installation? Any suggest?
dxnhd's Avatar dxnhd 03:58 AM 05-01-2013
Cheap but decent ceiling mount for the w1070? Opinion question... Big vs average? At a 15' mount I can have a wall full of image and buy a screen to match or mount at 9.5' and have the average 100", which I have a screen for already. My seating is 14'.
dxnhd's Avatar dxnhd 03:58 AM 05-01-2013
Cheap but decent ceiling mount for the w1070? Opinion question... Big vs average? At a 15' mount I can have a wall full of image and buy a screen to match or mount at 9.5' and have the average 100", which I have a screen for already. My seating is 14'.
Ricoflashback's Avatar Ricoflashback 06:14 AM 05-01-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post

I love screen shots as much as the next guy, especially when they include Scarlett's cleavage, but I think it is unanimously understood that making any judgement of picture quality is impossible. (Zombie's 3D ghosting shots excluded of course.)

Judgment - no. To see what they look like - yes. I've never seen a gray screen and of course, the camera doesn't do the pic shots justice - - but it is interesting to see the variations of pics from users on the forum.

What would also help is the lighting conditions when the pictures were taken. If I understand it right - - gray screens work well with ambient light and some users might find that helpful.
Stuntman_Mike's Avatar Stuntman_Mike 07:38 AM 05-01-2013
Quote:

Not knocking it. Like pretty much everything else that has to do with front projection, there are tradeoffs that come with every advantage. That's all. I just choose different advantages and different tradeoffs than you.

And like others have already stated, not much can be gleaned from a screenshot. Too many variables. Nice screenshot though.
bdunn13's Avatar bdunn13 08:49 AM 05-01-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post

Just my perspective but I would rather not buy from a pool of rejects. Yes, serious problems would be identified and culled, but less obvious defects such as lens abberations, ticking fans, etc, etc would likely be dusted off and slapped with a refurbished sticker. What after all would refurbishing entail? If a couple hundred bucks is going to break some one then maybe the $700 or $800 for a refurb would be better off left in the mattress.

Not surprised that there haven't been any great price breaks. Since its release I have seen a lot of "out of stock" notifications for the W1070.

Again, just my perspective.

Thanks.....

I am already saving 10% by buying from Amazon.... a few weeks ago Toys R Us had Amazon gift cards for 10% off and I bought enough to pay for the projector.... I can afford to buy it now, but I am a very conservative frugal person. Spending money makes me ill wink.gif

It would feel really good to get this thing at around $800, which I could easily do if Amazon dropped to price to 899 or I bought refurbished.

BD
Stuntman_Mike's Avatar Stuntman_Mike 09:20 AM 05-01-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdunn13 View Post

Thanks.....

I am already saving 10% by buying from Amazon.... a few weeks ago Toys R Us had Amazon gift cards for 10% off and I bought enough to pay for the projector.... I can afford to buy it now, but I am a very conservative frugal person. Spending money makes me ill wink.gif

It would feel really good to get this thing at around $800, which I could easily do if Amazon dropped to price to 899 or I bought refurbished.

BD

In addition to everything that David said, which I agree with, the other reason against a refurb is the shorter warranty. Usually only 30-90 days tops, compared to a year with a new one.
bdunn13's Avatar bdunn13 11:14 AM 05-01-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman_Mike View Post

In addition to everything that David said, which I agree with, the other reason against a refurb is the shorter warranty. Usually only 30-90 days tops, compared to a year with a new one.

Makes sense...

Thanks,
BD
CharlesZ7's Avatar CharlesZ7 03:54 PM 05-01-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman_Mike View Post

I wouldn't purchase a modern tech device that is refurbished without a good warranty — too high of a failure rate on cheaply made parts these days.

However, some manufacturers do give a full warranty on refurbished items — Mitsubishi, I know for certain, does on their projectors. We called them at the beginning of our research.

Square Trade, according to their site, does offer warranties on refurbished items.

Nonetheless, I would certainly make sure I had a good warranty if I were buying a refurb projector!!!
Badelhas's Avatar Badelhas 09:49 PM 05-01-2013
Does it support 3D Vision like the W700 720p?
DaGamePimp's Avatar DaGamePimp 11:42 PM 05-01-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badelhas View Post

Does it support 3D Vision like the W700 720p?

The w1070 is Nvidia 3Dtv play certified, not 3D Vision certified.

Jason
yamamaha's Avatar yamamaha 08:54 AM 05-02-2013
... So on the refurb front, I have good news and bad news. The good news is that BenQ will honor a 1 year warranty on a refurb. So I decided to give one a try. I just bought a W1070 refurbished from Amazon. Bad news, Murphy's Law struck.. I had to have issues with it straight out of the box. Here's what I see:

White intermittent vertical lines, both with a source signal, but also on the test pattern. The lines appear to be one pixel wide and are evenly spaced about 100 pixels apart. If the image is keystoned, the vertical lines do not follow the keystone correction, they remain absolutely vertical. The lines appear at random time intervals and will sometimes flicker for a few minutes. The lines may disappear for a few minutes but sometimes will disappear for hours before reappearing. The lines do not seem to respond to any sort of light tapping on the top of the case.

The manufacture date is December 2012, and the firmware version is 1.04. Does anyone know if anyone else has ever seen this issue? Before I send it in and wait for weeks I'd like to know if anyone knows what could cause this. I'm suspecting this would be more of a cold solder or loose wire problem rather than a firmware problem, based on the pattern the issue follows.

I see there is a 1.05 firmware out. The download link in this forum does not include a change list as far as what was fixed. Does anyone have information on that?

Overall what I'm trying to discover is if this is a common problem and what sort of confidence I can have that BenQ will be able to solve this one quickly and thoroughly. I'd hate to have to spend the next year sending the thing back for repair constantly. There is very little I want to try to do to this thing myself since I don't want to give them any excuse to refuse or void my warranty.
THe_Flash's Avatar THe_Flash 09:05 AM 05-02-2013
Regarding above, you should be able to return it and cite the issues you just described. If you're feeling lucky, purchase another used one from the marketplace.
vgmarques's Avatar vgmarques 09:32 AM 05-02-2013
People,

I´m planning on buy benq W1070 BUT.... I want to have a 2.40:1 screen.

As I used to do with my Mit HD1000, I don´t have problem on adjusting the zoom/focus manually.

But, as far as I understood reading some reviews out there, this projector may bring some problems in a 2.40:1 configuration with 16:9 images.

Is it really impossible to adjust its zoom/focus to fit a 16:9 image inside a 2.40:1 screen?

Thanks in advance!
vagos1103gr1's Avatar vagos1103gr1 10:06 AM 05-02-2013

These are the images from my pj to my cheap electric screen with 1.3 gain. What are you think guys? Cause I am little confused with my settings. This is the best can do the pj or I can make something to improve the image. The pictures I took from iPhone 5.
yamamaha's Avatar yamamaha 11:14 AM 05-02-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by THe_Flash View Post

Regarding above, you should be able to return it and cite the issues you just described. If you're feeling lucky, purchase another used one from the marketplace.

Yeah, I was considering that as an option. The issue with returning it to the marketplace is potentially trying to haggle with the seller over shipping, restock fees, etc. and then possibly dealing with Amazon's A-to-Z if that's fruitless.

However, since BenQ will honor the warranty and repair the defect, they will also cover shipping and everything. So I decided, so long as BenQ will honor the warranty, that was the direction I was going to go. This wasn't a used projector, it was a BenQ refurb that came packaged accordingly. The serial number on the BenQ sticker on the outside of the box matches the serial number on the projector, aceessories were neatly wrapped in new plastic, etc. So I don't really think the seller is trying to screw me here. Might have just got bumped around during shipping.

My question here was just to see if I could get an idea as to the problem, so I can know the extent of the defect, or whether there is any known fix for the issue that would not require me to send my new toy away for a few weeks. I mean, come on, I just got it! rolleyes.gif

Also, thought I would share my experience since others were debating the possibility of purchasing refurb. This will also be a nice exercise in exactly how good BenQ's warranty service is.
Bradley King's Avatar Bradley King 06:43 PM 05-02-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by vagos1103gr1 View Post

These are the images from my pj to my cheap electric screen with 1.3 gain. What are you think guys? Cause I am little confused with my settings. This is the best can do the pj or I can make something to improve the image. The pictures I took from iPhone 5.

how long is your hdmi cable?
try a shorter one.
THe_Flash's Avatar THe_Flash 07:28 PM 05-02-2013
I knew you were referring to the bottom right corner even before you mentioned it. I've had the same issue but have been able to ignore it mostly.
vagos1103gr1's Avatar vagos1103gr1 07:39 PM 05-02-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley King View Post

I use 10 ft hdmi 1.4 latest with Ethernet. I can't use shortest cause the pj is hanging on the ceiling. Do you think I can have better image with this pj? The 3d is ok sharp but u Am not truly satisfied with the 2d. Do you think is problematic the pj? This is the second replacement from amazon.
try a shorter one.

acras13's Avatar acras13 08:00 PM 05-02-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley King View Post

try a shorter one.

Length of cable doesn't really matter , hdmi is an "either or" proposition , there's either an image , or there's not. My 25' hdmi from monoprice has the same PQ as the 10' monster hdmi I had previously.
vagos1103gr1's Avatar vagos1103gr1 08:04 PM 05-02-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by acras13 View Post

Length of cable doesn't really matter , hdmi is an "either or" proposition , there's either an image , or there's not. My 25' hdmi from monoprice has the same PQ as the 10' monster hdmi I had previously.

So what you think of the images that posted before? I shouldn't be satisfied?
Tags: Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
First ... 151  152  153 154  155  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop