BenQ W1070 : DLP Full HD, 3D Ready with lens-shift for 1000$ - Page 154 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4591 of 9519 Old 05-02-2013, 07:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was thinking to return it and to take the optoma hd25 amazon has it for 950. Do you think I am gonna have 100' image from 9,5 ft distance?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4592 of 9519 Old 05-02-2013, 07:27 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by vagos1103gr1 View Post

So what you think of the images that posted before? I shouldn't be satisfied?

First , I don't have this PJ , I was just commenting on the HDMI cable. I never put much stock in pictures of someones screen , way too many variables to judge it. I think it boils down to what you find acceptable . Follow the suggestions others have suggested in this and other PJ threads to tweak the image , then decide . Good luck.

“Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”---Mark Twain
post #4593 of 9519 Old 05-02-2013, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamamaha View Post

Overall what I'm trying to discover is if this is a common problem and what sort of confidence I can have that BenQ will be able to solve this one quickly and thoroughly. I'd hate to have to spend the next year sending the thing back for repair constantly. There is very little I want to try to do to this thing myself since I don't want to give them any excuse to refuse or void my warranty.
I don't have any experience with BenQ, but I bought an Infocus refurb that had to go back due to a defect. Their warranty model for refurbs is to just send you a new one (i.e. do an exchange), not fix the one you are sending back.

I bet BenQ works the same way. Matter of fact, they should be willing to do an advanced exchange and ship you a new one before they get the old one, provided you are willing to provide them a credit card. That would get you a new projector in several days, depending on transit time.
post #4594 of 9519 Old 05-02-2013, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffKB View Post

I don't have any experience with BenQ, but I bought an Infocus refurb that had to go back due to a defect. Their warranty model for refurbs is to just send you a new one (i.e. do an exchange), not fix the one you are sending back.

I bet BenQ works the same way. Matter of fact, they should be willing to do an advanced exchange and ship you a new one before they get the old one, provided you are willing to provide them a credit card. That would get you a new projector in several days, depending on transit time.

That's interesting that you should mention that, it had occurred to me that they may just replace the projector with another refurb. I'll be interested to see if the one that comes back has a new serial number.

You see, somewhere in BenQ's documentation, I read that the warranty terms for refurb is "repair only." I understand they can and probably will take the option to just ship another refurb, but the fact that they spelled that out made me wonder under what circumstances they would ship another unit versus repairing the one I sent back.

I like the idea of asking them to cross-ship a projector. That would ensure that they will be shipping another refurb instead of repairing the one I have. I think I'll see where that tactic gets me.
post #4595 of 9519 Old 05-02-2013, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamamaha View Post

You see, somewhere in BenQ's documentation, I read that the warranty terms for refurb is "repair only." I understand they can and probably will take the option to just ship another refurb, but the fact that they spelled that out made me wonder under what circumstances they would ship another unit versus repairing the one I sent back.
They may have that "repair only" clause just in case they don't have any refurbs available to send you. That could be a possibility. I received several defective refurbs in a row from Infocus, and was eventually upgraded to a newer projector model (still a refurb) because they no longer had refurb inventory on the original projector I bought. I think a lot of it comes down to cost of repair and availability of parts.

Provided they have refurbs available, I can't see why they wouldn't do an exchange. Provided your current unit is fixable, they would just make the repair and return it to the refurb pool when ready.

Good luck and hope things work out. smile.gif
post #4596 of 9519 Old 05-03-2013, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by acras13 View Post

Length of cable doesn't really matter , hdmi is an "either or" proposition , there's either an image , or there's not. My 25' hdmi from monoprice has the same PQ as the 10' monster hdmi I had previously.

This not entirely true since one might see sparkles with long HDMI cables. Some HDMI cables will also not pass 3D and some long cables might cause handshake issues. I do agree that 25' Monoprice cables should work fine. The problem usually comes after 25' length.
post #4597 of 9519 Old 05-03-2013, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post

I love the W1070, especially for the price, but noticed that the focus was not even across the screen. In general I could get the center and three of the four corners razor sharp, but the remaining corner was VERY noticably blury. I could tweak the focus to make the one corner and the center reasonably clear but then the rest of the screen wasn't quite so sharp.
Other than this, there was nothing else out of whack so I have been very hesitant to return it. Typically the softness in the bottom right hand corner is a non-issue in movies, however text was brutal.
I packed it up and returned it to Amazon today. Have confirmation that a brand new one is on its way.
I love Amazon and hate using their excellent return policy for such a large ticket item, but I know as time goes on the focus problem would bother me more and more. Fingers crossed that the new one is 100%.

If you had read the thread fully, you'd have realized there was nothing wrong with your projector and the softness on one side was entirely due to misalignment, i.e. bad setup. Likely you will have the exact same "issue" with your replacement. I.e. you need to drill a new mounting hole.
post #4598 of 9519 Old 05-03-2013, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by THe_Flash View Post

I knew you were referring to the bottom right corner even before you mentioned it. I've had the same issue but have been able to ignore it mostly.

You can fix it by moving your projector around.
post #4599 of 9519 Old 05-03-2013, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBURNSIDE View Post

You can fix it by moving your projector around.
I thought so too. I have the peerless mount, so it's pretty easy to make adjustments. I've measured, re-measured, and used my laser level and it all looks pretty spot-on. It isn't anything horrific, but if you look closely you can tell there is a slight difference.
post #4600 of 9519 Old 05-03-2013, 01:30 PM

Thanks, David!

Guys, do you know where I can buy a Benq 1070 at Houston?

I´ll be hosted in Houston during next week and I prefer buying at stores. I have already had hotel hassles with deliveries. I´m also afraid of shipping issues that can late the delivery.

Anyway, is the price at stores higher than online? Is it better to buy online?

Thanks!
post #4601 of 9519 Old 05-03-2013, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post

This not entirely true since one might see sparkles with long HDMI cables. Some HDMI cables will also not pass 3D and some long cables might cause handshake issues. I do agree that 25' Monoprice cables should work fine. The problem usually comes after 25' length.

Please correct me if I'm wrong , but the sparkles are because of data corruption , not a degradation of image like analog signals suffer from . From what I've seen and researched ( much more reliable sources than my personal exp.) Quality of manufacture is a bigger issue than length for hdmi with handshake, of course up to about 25' which I believe is the upper limit for HDMI certification without boosting the signal. The biggest problem with handshake from what I've read is poor implementation of HDMI standards by device manufacturers since there's no true standard , just guidelines.
My comment was directed more specifically to Vagos situation , I might not have seen it in the pics , but I don't think sparkles were the issue he was unhappy with , and my comment about HDMI was because lots of people think HDMI performs like analog audio and video cables , that the picture will degrade gradually .
Please don't take what I say as gospel , this is my understanding of what I've read and limited personal experience .

“Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”---Mark Twain
post #4602 of 9519 Old 05-04-2013, 02:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acras13 View Post

Please correct me if I'm wrong , but the sparkles are because of data corruption , not a degradation of image like analog signals suffer from . From what I've seen and researched ( much more reliable sources than my personal exp.) Quality of manufacture is a bigger issue than length for hdmi with handshake, of course up to about 25' which I believe is the upper limit for HDMI certification without boosting the signal. The biggest problem with handshake from what I've read is poor implementation of HDMI standards by device manufacturers since there's no true standard , just guidelines.
My comment was directed more specifically to Vagos situation , I might not have seen it in the pics , but I don't think sparkles were the issue he was unhappy with , and my comment about HDMI was because lots of people think HDMI performs like analog audio and video cables , that the picture will degrade gradually .
Please don't take what I say as gospel , this is my understanding of what I've read and limited personal experience .

Yes you are correct that sparkles are caused by digital data corruption. Quality of manufacture is very important and 25" is considered to be the upper limit for HDMI certification without boosting the signal. It is also true that HDMI handshake issues are mostly caused by poor implementation of HDMI standards but cables can make a difference. I have had all kinds of HDMI handshake issues with various types of equipment and often changing the cables do make a difference. The Monoprice Redmere cables have worked well for me and others for long runs over 25' feet. It is also recommended not to use cables under 6 feet.
acras13 likes this.
post #4603 of 9519 Old 05-04-2013, 09:37 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

The Monoprice Redmere cables have worked well for me and others for long runs over 25' feet. It is also recommended not to use cables under 6 feet.

So much for redmere. Just tried 30' cable from their own HDMI splitter (product 7522). Signal looses sync every 10 secs. Direct from BD player works fine without loosing sync. It's going back. HDMI splitter is essential for me.
post #4604 of 9519 Old 05-04-2013, 09:41 AM

Liked: 18
A bit off topics, but i have been using sainsonic 144hz 3D glasses and they work great and are very cheap.

I risked paying almost 4 times more for the benq D3 glasses, ok they are not 4 times better, i would say they are 30% better in total. Brighter, sharper, better face tones, more vibrant colours by about 10~20%. 3D looks that extra touch better with better depth, and 3D layering thanks to the contrast improvement.

Shame on benq for not supplying them with the projector, allowed people to use other brands that let down their product.
post #4605 of 9519 Old 05-04-2013, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirip View Post

So much for redmere. Just tried 30' cable from their own HDMI splitter (product 7522). Signal looses sync every 10 secs. Direct from BD player works fine without loosing sync. It's going back. HDMI splitter is essential for me.

I don't think it is the redmere cable since others have had great success with them. Could be an issue with the cables going to the splitter or the splitter itself. The Benq also does not have the best HDMI implementation. Monoprice sells several splitters. I suggest that you contact them about the issue and they will make recommendations. Monoprice offers great customer service.
post #4606 of 9519 Old 05-04-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:

... It is also recommended not to use cables under 6 feet.

Can you please expand on the why of this recommendation? A few weeks back, I switched over all of the 6' cables in the nearby equipment to 1' & 2' cables in order to eliminate the rat's nest! I didn't notice any quality change at the time. What's the impact? Thanks

post #4607 of 9519 Old 05-04-2013, 10:48 AM

Quote:

I don't think it is the redmere cable since others have had great success with them. Could be an issue with the cables going to the splitter or the splitter itself. The Benq also does not have the best HDMI implementation. Monoprice sells several splitters. I suggest that you contact them about the issue and they will make recommendations. Monoprice offers great customer service.

Any 15' cable works fine through this splitter. Splitter is PRO series with amplifier. Others have success with splitters in between or directly from computers/Bluray players ?
post #4608 of 9519 Old 05-04-2013, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

What cables are you using from the Blu-Ray player and how long is it? I am using a splitter and a 25' cable with no problem. There are so many things than can cause handshake issues including the length of the cable, the splitter, the Blu-ray player and anything else in the loop. I am been using HDMI since day one and have had all kinds of timing and other issues with different equipment.
post #4609 of 9519 Old 05-04-2013, 03:10 PM

Quote:

What cables are you using from the Blu-Ray player and how long is it? I am using a splitter and a 25' cable with no problem. There are so many things than can cause handshake issues including the length of the cable, the splitter, the Blu-ray player and anything else in the loop. I am been using HDMI since day one and have had all kinds of timing and other issues with different equipment.

bluray player to splitter is 22AWG 2' very thick HDMI cable with gold plated connectors on either end.

Splitter is monoprice product id 7522
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10113&cs_id=1011306&p_id=7522&seq=1&format=2
'
From there, I need absolute minimum of 25'. 30' would be comfortable, then I don't have to run across ceiling joists. Don't need anything more than that. I just checked Monster 35' cable (no 30') at frys. It's $100...that's the last option if nothing else works. Any other cable I should try before plunking that much ? Appreciate your help. Don't like to keep buying and returning stuff. If there is any cable under < $50 known to be good, I would go straight to that.
post #4610 of 9519 Old 05-04-2013, 04:10 PM

I have one question if everybody noticed this. When the pj is turned on and looking in the lens I noticed a small stamp like a fingerprint in the middle but I think is from inside, I cleand with a microfiber cloth from outside, but Is still remain. I don't think is affected to the image, but I am wondering if it is defected. Here some pics to understand what I mean.

post #4611 of 9519 Old 05-04-2013, 04:35 PM

Quote:

I have one question if everybody noticed this. When the pj is turned on and looking in the lens I noticed a small stamp like a fingerprint in the middle but I think is from inside, I cleand with a microfiber cloth from outside, but Is still remain. I don't think is affected to the image, but I am wondering if it is defected. Here some pics to understand what I mean.

Can't tell if it's the same as our first projector from the images, however; our first W1070 lens looked liked it had a smear on the inside. A few others here have reported the same thing. Our other two have had no such thing — perfectly clean.
post #4612 of 9519 Old 05-04-2013, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

bluray player to splitter is 22AWG 2' very thick HDMI cable with gold plated connectors on either end.

Splitter is monoprice product id 7522
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10113&cs_id=1011306&p_id=7522&seq=1&format=2
'
From there, I need absolute minimum of 25'. 30' would be comfortable, then I don't have to run across ceiling joists. Don't need anything more than that. I just checked Monster 35' cable (no 30') at frys. It's $100...that's the last option if nothing else works. Any other cable I should try before plunking that much ? Appreciate your help. Don't like to keep buying and returning stuff. If there is any cable under < $50 known to be good, I would go straight to that.

If I am reading this correctly you are using a 2 foot HDMI cable from the Blu-Ray player to the splitter. That is where the problem may be. Several companies including Lumigen state that you must use at least a 6 foot cable between all sources and the splitter to avoid HDMI errors.
I am not sure of the exact reason but I was told by several sources never to use a cable under 6 feet.
post #4613 of 9519 Old 05-04-2013, 11:26 PM

Quote:

Stupid first question, you did observe the directionality of the red mere cable?
second question, could there be a problem with the amplified HDMI switcher and the amplified cable working together? Perhaps the amplifier in the switcher is putting too much power into the chip in the red mere and overheating it , causing it to drop out?

post #4614 of 9519 Old 05-05-2013, 05:09 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:

I have one question if everybody noticed this. When the pj is turned on and looking in the lens I noticed a small stamp like a fingerprint in the middle but I think is from inside, I clean with a microfiber cloth from outside, but Is still remain. I don't think is affected to the image, but I am wondering if it is defected. Here some pics to understand what I mean.

My HD33 had the same mark, i think it is very common biggrin.gif Did not seem to effect image even tho when you look at it its sure looks like it would!
post #4615 of 9519 Old 05-05-2013, 06:34 AM

I request a replacement, I am gonna post if is gonna be the same with the new one
post #4616 of 9519 Old 05-05-2013, 06:46 AM

Did anybody noticed smear inside of the lens?
post #4617 of 9519 Old 05-05-2013, 09:46 AM

Has anyone tested the "Audio output jack?" Is that just a headphone jack or what? Will it only work via certain hookups, etc? No real mention in the manual.

thx
post #4618 of 9519 Old 05-05-2013, 02:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesZ7 View Post

Has anyone tested the "Audio output jack?" Is that just a headphone jack or what? Will it only work via certain hookups, etc? No real mention in the manual.

thx

It will obviously loop audio in to audio out but it is also likely that an intended use is to allow the HDMI audio (2CH) to be passed through.

I plugged headphones into it when I first got it and it seemed to work fine for the 30 seconds that I tested it.

Jason
post #4619 of 9519 Old 05-05-2013, 07:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I ordered the 1070 on Friday morning from Visual Apex, but later that afternoon I got a phone
letting me know that they were out of stock. I guess my other options would be Amazon or Newegg. Do you guys have a choice on who would be better?
post #4620 of 9519 Old 05-05-2013, 08:53 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtprkr View Post

I ordered the 1070 on Friday morning from Visual Apex, but later that afternoon I got a phone
letting me know that they were out of stock. I guess my other options would be Amazon or Newegg. Do you guys have a choice on who would be better?

I got mine from Newegg because of the promo a couple of weeks ago. I have ordered from both sites in the past, and have been happy with all of my purchases from either company. Looks like Amazon is cheaper at the moment.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W1070 1080p 3d Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page